shape
carat
color
clarity

Secret handshakes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

limey

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t know whether to laugh or cry when I read David''s prose on this page on his ebay store:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67726&item=2670605831

"In the diamond business, certain rules apply. For example, there''s a secret handshake. If you don''t know it you pay 20% more."

I know it was meant in jest but I have to believe there is quite a bit of truth in this.

Limey

PS. Amazing looking Princess, does it really sparkle like that? Wow!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL about the handshake...but oh my limey...I'll keep my hands in my pockets for that one...that looks like a princess gone wrong...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Twaddle.

limey

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/25/2004 4:55:47 PM moremoremore wrote:

LOL about the handshake...but oh my limey...I'll keep my hands in my pockets for that one...that looks like a princess gone wrong...----------------

The image is out of focus, think David is going for that effect with the image. I have to admit it is strange looking but it probably has a really nice sparkle. It certainly caught my eye and I looked at it not in a "cut chart" way (although it is probably OK as far as charts go) but in a "presence" sort of way.

To get back on topic, and be the twaddler I am accused of being it seems... It does appear that the "old school tie" and "it's who you know" are common threads in this industry. In my pursuit of various diamonds for various projects I have managed to make a number of friends and a number of pretty interesting contacts. Now if only i knew the handshakes.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
You know, I always find the pictures David takes a little off-putting because they're lit so aggressively. Whenever there's something metal in the shot, like a tweezer or a prong, it always shoots out more sparkles than the diamond itself. To me, the photos look like the equivalent of jewelry-store lighting. The stones may look great (although their random, shattered-glass look isn't my taste)--but you wonder what they'd look like in plain, ordinary lighting.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
OK- Before I answer this, do you guys know the handshake?????

hehehe

Here's a shot of "the princess gone wrong"

150g.JPG

I suppose it makes for a good example for what constiutes a desirable diamond, or not.

If we were to put this on a machine, it might not do well at all.

The depth ratio for this diamond was 75%- I usually stay away from Princess Cuts above 73%- yet I did like this one. I estimated the table as 60%- unusually low for a princess cut.

It was quite an intersting combination of "crushed ice" and organized facets- I think this was what our British friend is talking about.

profile shot:

150f.JPG

Why did I like this stone?

Well for one thing, it really looked nice in person.

It was a K color, yet it faced up as a colorless diamond- that's because it was well cut- "Well Cut" IF you take the time to actually look at a diamond, and not just numbers.

Another factor was the price- this was a 1.50carat Princess Cut, VS clarity, faced up white - and the stone was around 5 grand.

That's something to consider too.

As far as the photos- thanks for taking the time to look at them.

A lot of folks have found value in them, and surely others do not.

I've been grading all my life, and know how the light plays with the diamond.

I love taking pictures- Combine the two and you have our photos.

In some situations, such as a romantic dinner, in a dimly lit resaurant, will make it diffucult to see many aspects of a diamond's character.

You wouldn't want a candle lit jewelry store would you?

Nor would you want to take your diamond outside and have it look like a dead fish because the jewelry store's lighting was deceptively good.

I try to show our diamonds in such a way so as to be representative. If you think this princess cut is ugly in the photos, you would have hated it in real life.

( PS- this stone was actually .....lost in the factory. We still look for it...........)

The secret handshake:

When you see the other guy, you put one finger in your left ear while jumping up and down on your right foot.

For those who have injured their foot, a pogo stick may be used in substitution. In those cases an addl. 2% will be applied......

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I'm really sorry...I love you David...but still don't like the stone!
1.gif
You are correct- we all have different takes on what's beautiful...You've got a lot of other beauties, though....

And what the heck is a twaddle?

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
No offense taken at all.

After all, I did not cut it!

And it certainly was "different" in it's appearance. Not your typical princess cut.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
David- why are you working so late...don't you know american idol is on?
1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Well. beleive it or not I work many nights till 1am- crazy me.

But then there's my other life- last Sunday night I played in a concert at the Hard Rock Cafe in Pittsburgh Pa.

I worked till 4am that night- ah but what a nite!

I guess that's why I skip American Idol........

limey

Shiny_Rock
David's interpretation of my reason of posting was right. The diamond was eye-catching and probably sparkled like crazy, at least that is the effect the picture had on me. If I was a rap star or cornerback (or Nick Lachey) I think it would look good on my pinkie, but I am not!

Twaddle - meaningless talk, bemused at such a contribution, oh well.

Ana - exactly right again. I am sure David's technique works well for the market he is in. Don't think you can sell big fancy colored, fancy shaped yellows with Sarin reports and such. The magnified pictures have always concerned me, you've got to think about them down at 6mm. And the diamond in more general environments. Favourite place for my wife to see her Jubilee... Meijer!

Limey

GlitterGal

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/26/2004 2:33:08 AM valeria101 wrote:

I am VERY aware I should shut up at least every now and then... but noooooo ! here goes, for better or worse
1.gif

----------------

Ana,

We love your postings! Please don't ever 'shut up'.
1.gif

Kindest regards always,
Linda
wavey.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
That stone of David's looks like a pradiant or a rincess. (really confused as to whether to be a princess or a radiant) I don't know that I would buy it, but where is that factory you lost it in? I'll be happy to come help look.
11.gif
Actually I like the pictures that are posted that show me more closely what my eye will see when looking at the diamond. I like all the technical stuff (B-scope, I-scope, H&A photos), but I still find myself wanting a photo of the diamond like we all post in the show me the ring section. (real lighting, at home, etc.) This is mainly because, as a consumer, I have not seen a wide variety of diamonds (cuts or shapes). I purchased my SuperbCert on an impulse. (I know, I know) Hey there are impulses and there are impulses. At least I didn't get burned by mine. LOL I just like to have some idea of what the diamond would look like in the real world. So some of these high-tech gadgets, while great info, don't completely satisfy my need to know.

And, AnA, if you ever shut up, this board will be poorer because of it.
9.gif
Don't ever change.

Shay

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/26/2004 7:52:13 AM limey wrote:

I am sure David's technique works well for the market he is in. Don't think you can sell big fancy colored, fancy shaped yellows with Sarin reports and such.----------------

Fancy colored diamonds are sold by intensity of color, depth of hue, etc. and proportions are not a valid concern because the stones often need to be cut deeper than colorless stones in order to get the depth of color that is intended. Proportions shoujld be a concern for colorless diamonds where brilliance and dispersion are the primary focal point, but when cutting for color the focus is on the intensity of color and not the brilliance and dispersion.

On a side note, we think that the picture looks kind of cool... We like the swirly type effect, looks like David is expressing his artistic talents to keep things interesting... Didn't look at the page to see if "normal" pictures of the diamond were posted as well because the "princess gone wrong" had already been posted here on the thread so there very well may be normal pictures of the stone posted along with this one.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I've got to really focus when I read your posts valeria!!!
1.gif
I'll have to read them all later when I have time....

And TWADDLE OFF matata.
1.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll twaddle off and I'll twaddle on but I'm not going to twaddle away.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
lol...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh my...Valeria...I think I'm just too stupid to understand your posts!!!
1.gif
Over my head!!!

Just a side note: It's funny...b/c Jonathan told me that my concerns re: that original princess were kind of related to his study on contrast....I went with what was visually pleasing...and four concentrated, seemingly isolated and distinct areas of contrast were not....I picked a similar princess....it still had those great dark areas...but they seemed more scattered, the stone looked brighter and the stone actually scored a teeny weensy bit higher on the BScope (both still H, Vh, Vh)...I think she's being set right now.......See what I mean:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_2_10ct_f_si1.htm

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
SUPER cool link BTW!!!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 5/26/2004 9:38:59 AM Shay37 wrote:

That stone of David's looks like a pradiant or a rincess.
Shay
----------------

Top Stalking bass ackwards willya????

The diamond in this post was a Princess- the 90degree corners show that. A radiant would have clipped corners.

We actually lost the stone while building a ring for it
sad.gif
- I NEVER use smiley faces, but this was pretty darn sad- It was , unquestionable , a different looking princess- but I loved it......)

Ronen

Rough_Rock
Isn't there a secret handshake so you dont have
to pay taxes? (dont i wish :))

I know when i used to work in the diamond bourse here in Israel
we would say "mazal" whenever we shook hands to close a deal

R

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results