shape
carat
color
clarity

Rhodium-plate other jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always had yellow gold jewelry- rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc., but now like the look of the white metals better. Is it feasible or advisable to have a bracelet (not a chain one- I don''t know what style it is, but it''s solid) rhodium-plated? What about a class ring? Thanks.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was considering rhodium plating a gold ring I have and asked my jeweler about it and he looked horrified (lol). . .when the rhodium scratches off a ring, the gold will show through and the ring will look terrible. . .

The only jewelery you'll be okay with plating are earrings since they're not rubbed a lot and the rhodium is less likely to wear off as quickly. A necklace *may be* okay, but you should get more opinions on this and a bracelet, but a ring, definetly not
1.gif

Too bad, huh? I'd love to have all my jewelery be white metal, too!

Michelle

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I used to snub my nose at anything that wasn't platinum. I would not wear gold pieces. However, I recently realized that yellow gold has a very special beauty that isn't found in the white metals. All the precious metals are beautiful in their own way. I think it's nice to have different pieces in different metals to have a nice variety in your collection. I wouldn't want a collection of just platinum pieces, nor would I want a collection of just yellow gold pieces.

Yellow gold looks really amazing on most skin colors, give your yellow gold pieces a second look! I hope you will rediscover the beauty of that metal.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to both Sumi and MichelleCarmen for responding. I was wearing a plain yellow gold ring the other day, and I realized that I still do like it! Like Sumi said, it is beautiful in its own right! I also have a plain yellow gold ring, and for some reason, it just doesn't do what the yellow ring does for me. I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I like yellow gold without diamonds, but with diamonds, it's white or platinum all the way!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad to hear there are still a few out there who don't follow the *trend* of white gold and platinum for all jewelry. I like like both yellow and white gold/platinum equally and tend to wear a lot of two-tone pieces. For me, though, when it comes to my e-ring and wedding ring, I really like the contrast between yellow gold (with a platinum head for the center stone) and the white my diamond.

When my mother was married in the 50s, platinum and wg was the only way to go. Then in the 80s, she had her rings redone in yellow. Now the fad is back to white.
errrr.gif
twirl.gif
I figure yellow gold will be the trend (again) in another few years.
9.gif
appl.gif

Diamondlil

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/13/2004 8:33:54 AM diamondlil wrote:

I'm glad to hear there are still a few out there who don't follow the *trend* of white gold and platinum for all jewelry. I like like both yellow and white gold/platinum equally and tend to wear a lot of two-tone pieces. For me, though, when it comes to my e-ring and wedding ring, I really like the contrast between yellow gold (with a platinum head for the center stone) and the white my diamond.

When my mother was married in the 50s, platinum and wg was the only way to go. Then in the 80s, she had her rings redone in yellow. Now the fad is back to white.
errrr.gif
twirl.gif
I figure yellow gold will be the trend (again) in another few years.
9.gif
appl.gif

Diamondlil
----------------

I hope yellow gold does come back in style. Sumi is right about skin tones. . .my wedding set is yellow gold and it does look much better on my hands as I have a yellow undertone. . .I've noticed that platinum/white gold looks better near my face, though, as I have green eyes. . .
21.gif

Regarding trends in metal color: Something just doesn't seem "right" to me when we're having to switch out sentimental eng/wedding rings to keep up with what's in style. Of course I love MANY trends, but I think this takes consumerism too far and I wish that the heart ruled over the need for jewelery manufacturers to make a buck.

Michelle

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, different metals looks better on different parts of the body. Also, different metals look better with different stones. I think platinum/WG is great for setting diamonds. However, I have the Tiffany Etoile band in yellow gold BECAUSE of the contrast between the white diamonds and the yellow band. It draws the eye more to the diamonds, whereas the diamonds seem to disappear into the platinum band. For that specific ring, I think yellow gold expresses the design much better. I really love yellow gold with pearls, it seems to bring out the "warmth" in the pearl.

If I am going to invest a good amount of money on a piece, I want to buy something that I really love without paying attention to trends.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I asked a jeweler yesterday about rhodium dipping yellow gold -- thinking of it for earrings and/or a necklace chain. They said it would work and not be a problem. I may try it on the chain first since I'm planning to replace it with white gold or plat anyway if it messes it up. It will probably be a while -- they were pretty backed up so I didn't leave anything, but I'll report back if I ever get it done.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Sumi, I have been drooling over the Etoile wedding ring for a number of months. I also like it better in the yellow gold than platinum becaus of the contrast between the yellow and white. There are a couple of manufacturers that make a similar ring, and I especially like how they use a little band of platinum around each stone in the yellow gold -- details
love.gif
9.gif

Diamondlil

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I love the Etoile band in yellow gold. The platinum is really nice too, but you just can't really tell that there are diamonds in the ring. The diamonds blend in so much with the platinum. I love the contrast of the white diamonds against the gold band. T&Co, as usual, has done a wonderful work with their craftsmanship. The diamonds are set in platinum, even in the yellow gold ring, but you can't really tell. It's seamless.

I wear the ring on my right hand. My wedding set is in platinum, and I love having platinum on my left hand and yellow gold on my right.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------

I wear the ring on my right hand. My wedding set is in platinum, and I love having platinum on my left hand and yellow gold on my right.

----------------

mmmm, you do this? I've been looking at small antique white gold rings and have been thinking of eventually getting one for my right hand, but my wedding set is yellow gold, so I haven't been too sure about mixing the two for my hands. I guess it doesn't matter, either way, huh? As long as both rings are pretty
1.gif

Michelle

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Originally, I wanted a platinum ring for my right hand because I thought it should match my left hand. However, when I actually tried on rings, I actually thought it looked better to have different metals. I love both the white metals and yellow gold. I'm really in to yellow gold these days, I am so glad that I rediscovered its beauty! YUMMY!!

You should try on some white metals on your right hand, I bet you will love the contrast to your yellow rings on your left hand.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results