shape
carat
color
clarity

Ragdoll Questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KayPea

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have been looking at the post where all of the ragdoll owners are bragging about their kitties and I''ve just fallen in love with the breed. I have been considering getting a cat for awhile now but just recently have become more intersted in ragdolls. I have a few questions about them though. I want to make sure I get a cat that fits my lifestyle for the benefit of both myself and the cat. I am a RN so I work 12 hour shifts. I know ragdolls are very affectionate so I''m concerned this would upset the cat. This leads me to my second question which is how vocal are they? Do they cry a lot? I live in a loft building and I would be worried about the cat crying during the night while I''m at work (I work night shift). I would not want my neighbors angry with me or the little kitty. What are some of the ways they differ from other cats or what other things should I consider about this breed?

Thanks so much!

PS: Lynn B if you see this, I think Boo is so beautiful! What colors is he?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kay,

I''m not Lynn, but my rescued raggie, Oliver, looks super similar to Lynn''s Boo (see picture, below).

Raggies are known for being fairly mellow cats, and they are not known for being especially vocal (in fact our Oliver is very quiet, but he''s a rescue so we don''t know if he''s a purebred). That said, most cats, if well socialized, are fairly adaptable to whatever lifestyle you have. I would say that you will want a cat that is fairly mellow and laid-back, as opposed to one that is more high-strung. Unfortunately this can be tough to tell with kittens, so you might consider adopting a slightly older cat so you know what their personality will actually be as an adult.

That brings me to my second point - while an adult (or mostly adult - I''d say anything over 6-8 months) cat would probably be fine with that much separation, as long as they had a routine, a kitten would definitely NOT. Kittens are extremely fragile, and their health can turn so quickly, I would never consider it safe to leave one alone for that much time (not to mention the trouble it could and would get into). FYI, this is not just my personal opinion - I volunteer with a number of highly trained veterinarians and cat behaviorists, and this is where this information comes from.

If you are set on a Ragdoll (and I would totally understand) you might look into two options for a slightly older cat:

1. local purebred rescues. If you tell us approximately what area you are in, we could help you find something nearby.

2. Many breeders have older kitties that they thought would be show prospects, but didn''t turn out to be, or are retired show cats or similar. These often have the kind of mellow, adaptable temperament that would be best for your lifestyle. You''ll just want to be sure you are dealing with a reputable breeder so as to avoid serious health issues with the kitty - again, if you are interested in going this route and let us know about where you are, we can help find local prospects.

Finally, the color that Boo is (and also my Ollie) is called Seal Point - Ragdolls are always pointed, which means their faces, tails, and legs are darker than the middle/underside of the cat, and they always have blue eyes (genetically linked with the pointed coloring). Seal Point is the darkest point color, and they also come in chocolate (lighter version of seal), blue (greyish), lilac (lighter version of blue), flame (orange), and cream (lighter version of flame). They can be mitted (white paws) and/or bi-color (white on the face, chin, and chest/body along with the pointed color), and they can also be lynx (tabby patterning over the color of the points). They are born mostly cream-colored and the points develop as they grow. It can take years for Ragdolls to reach their final size and coloring.

Anyway, I hope that is helpful information to get you started - please let us know whatever other questions you have
1.gif

OllieSLRpic1.jpeg

OllieSLRpic9.jpeg

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 11:29:22 AM
Author: AmberGretchen

2. Many breeders have older kitties that they thought would be show prospects, but didn''t turn out to be, or are retired show cats or similar.
This (#2) is the option I took. Mine was a show/breeder prospect... but for numerous reasons was rejected. She''s tiny for ragdoll standards... about 7.5-8.5lbs. She is a blue mitted and not very vocal... and is very mellow. Leaving her for a while(ie 12hrs) is no problem. I have no idea if this is true or not but I feel like she is an extra long hair version of a ragdoll. Still very soft, very fluffy, that rabbit like fur...but oh my, her hairs are much longer than other ragdolls I''ve met.

IMG_0454.jpg

KayPea

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much Amber! That was very helpful. Your Oliver is so beautiful! I live in Birmingham, AL. You brought up a great point about the kittens and leaving them for 12 hours 3 nights a week. I think getting an older one is the best route for me. I will start doing research on rescues and looking for breeders with older kittens/retired cats. Thank you for explained the colors as well!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
No problem Kay - I''m glad the info was helpful! I think your plan sounds very sensible - please let us know if we can help you in your search.

Also, when you do find a kitty, please come back and let us know - we can help you prepare for your new arrival with high quality food, toys, etc...

MissPru - your kitty is STUNNING!! What a beauty
30.gif
30.gif

KayPea

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have started on my research! I''ve come across a few sites. Miss.Prudential how did you find your pretty girl? She has beautiful eyes!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kay,

I do not have a ragdoll, but my sister has two, and I love helping people find the right rescue pet for them, so I'll chime in too.

I'm sure you know about petfinder, but just in case, here's Nikko . He doesn't look like a purebred. Maybe some of the Ragdoll owners would know better than me? Even so, it sounds like he's an absolute love - hugs and kisses - how wonderful is that?! And, there' no denying he is gorgeous!

Looks like he's about 1.5 hours south of you.

I've also seen shelters and rescues advertise ragdolls on petfinder as Siamese or Siamese mixes, because I guess they are not familiar with the breed, so you can try searching those breeds too.

Good Luck! And, PLEASE post photos once you find him or her!!

Nikko Prattville.jpg

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 4:56:29 PM
Author: KayPea
I have started on my research! I''ve come across a few sites. Miss.Prudential how did you find your pretty girl? She has beautiful eyes!
A good place to start is Fanciers Breeder Referral List. It''s a website where breeders post retired breeders or older kittens. Then you can find breeders that meet your expectations and call them... tell them your situation and ask what they have available. Most that I spoke to were SUPER nice and were willing to refer me to another breeder that they thought might have something available or just keep my number for future cats that might become available.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG the boy that LovesVintage posted is GORGEOUS
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
And he sounds like SUCH a love - an affectionate, mellow temperament like that is just what you are after.

As to whether he is a purebred or not, its really tough to tell. Sometimes one that isn''t well bred won''t look like one, but one who may not be a Raggie at all, like my Ollie, looks and acts exactly like one, so its really tough to know. I''d not worry about it too much - if it looks like a Ragdoll, and acts like a Ragdoll, and is as beautiful and sweet as that boy, who cares, right??
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Here is a fantastic place to find info and references for all things Ragdoll - I know LynnB has found a ton of great info there, I''d check it out for sure.

Here is another - this one is a Ragdoll rescue.

And finally, I''m going to C&P directly OmieLuv''s excellent post about Ragdoll rescue and information resources from a little while ago (link to original post) because it had so much good info:

"If you are still looking for a breeder, visit www.ragdollcentral.com this is a great site! Members are friendly and will give you info on how to select a responsible breeder and believe me, they have seen it all when trying to find their raggies. Though I did not go through a breeder for Omie, the one thing that they always recommend is a solid contract between yourself and the breeder, which should outline costs, policy on declawing, and health information. Also, your more responsible breeders will have certain genetic testing done on the parents, for certain issues raggies can have, this should also be included in the contract along with their guarantee...

If you are looking for a rescue organization, specializing in raggies (I also posted this information in the other raggie thread):

Ragdoll Rescue has a great reputation, visit them here: http://www.freewebs.com/ragdollrescue/ (for US site, click here: http://www.freewebs.com/ragdollrescueusa/).

The Purebreed Cat Rescue organization specializes in raggies, persions, himmies, etc. http://purebredcatbreedrescue.org/ragdoll.htm

Ragdoll International is a ragdoll breed club, that also has a rescue service: http://www.ragdollinternational.org/ragrescues.shtml

http://www.ragdollscfa.org/rag_rescue.php

You can always check with local breeders to find out if they have any rescued ragdolls needing homes."

KayPea

Rough_Rock
Trade
During my research I am seeing some kittens being listed as "ragamuffins" and some as "ragdolls". What is the difference?

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
"ragamuffins" are not really a breed yet - people are trying to get them recognized, I believe they are a cross between a ragdoll and an American shorthair.

I''d steer clear unless they are rescues - since they''re not a recognized breed yet, its tough to know what you''d be getting.

And keep in mind your age limit too - I really can''t emphasize enough the potential danger and heartbreak of leaving a tiny kitten alone for 12+ hours at a time.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I would have to echo looking up Ragdoll Central and asking questions there. Very nice people in general.

I would also suggest going to a show. My fiance and I desire to get two Ragdoll kittens after we find a place and get settled into a routine. I did the research and felt that a Ragdoll would really fit our personalities and what we are looking for in companions. Since we had never actually seen or interacted with the breed, we felt that going to a show would be the best way to tell. Lots of cats, lots of different ''purrsonalities.'' It was also pretty cool to watch the judging to see what they look for in the breeds. I have to tell you though, the ragdolls were the sweetest, fluffiest, cuddliest cats ever
30.gif
one of the breeders was generous enough to let us hold one of her babies- he was a doll! just flopped into my arms and purred. FI and I were smitten!

word of caution: do lots of searches on what to look for when you go visit a breeder and their cattery. as in, what types of questions should you ask? what types of questions should the breeder ask of you? etc...

and have fun on your search!
36.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''m here, I''m here!!!
35.gif
And I love talking about Raggies!!!

Boo is a seal (dark brown) bicolor, meaning he has the white inverted "V" on his face. My new kitten Bentley will be a blue lynx mitted; blue meaning he''ll be a lovely bluish-gray color, and mitted meaning he''ll have white feet, and "lynx" meaning he''ll have tabby markings on his face, legs and tail!
30.gif

OK... so many decisions! I totally understand! With your schedule, I totally second the idea of finding a bit older ragdoll, possibly a retired breeder. Those can be awesome cats! And usually still quite young, often under 2 or 3, and many times the only cost is the spaying or neutering. (BTW, Boo will be 3 this week, and he is still so kitten-like and so YOUNG!!! He''s a WONDERFUL age!)

Radgoll rescue is also a WONDERFUL IDEA, and it would let you open your home and heart to a wonderful animal who likely through no fault of his/her own find themselved needing new forever homes. There are lots of resources for finding an older Raggie. I''d check out the Ragdoll forums, and as many breeders as you can find. Ask everyone if they know of an older kitty that needs homed.

I also like the idea of getting two kittens and raising them together. For the first few months, I would probably have a friend or pet sitter stop in to check on them but eventually after a few months (once they got a little older), they''d probably be fine on their own while you were at work.

Soooo... first of all, if you decide to go the breeder route, you need to find a reputable breeder. This is CRITICAL! The breeders I know of personally and would wholeheartedly recommend are Excalibur Cats in Deltona FL, Wimpole Street Ragdolls in the Boston area; Kylador Ragdolls in the Toronto, Canada area, LuvEZ Ragdolls in the Harrisburg, PA area, Hushabyerags in northern CA and Calirags in southern CA and of course Megailee Ragdolls in Raleigh NC (where I am getting Bentley). Do you live near any of these locations or have any connections (relatives? friends? etc?) in any of those areas? I''m sure there are many other good and reputable breeders but these are the ones I know of personally.

It can be SOOOO daunting to try to find a good breeder, I really sympathize. If none of the ones above would work for you, here''s what I''d do. Well, actually, here''s that I DID! ;o) Do some internet searches for breeders in your area. Do a lot of different searches, come of the catteries are small, and don''t seem to show up the first or 2nd times you search. Look at their websites. Be sure their cattery is registered with TICA or CFA or both. Make sure that all their breeder cats are DNA tested and NEGATIVE for the identified HCM mutation, this is important. Personally, I would not consider a breeder who breeds minks or whites, these are not in the breed standard. It''s a "plus" if the breeder also shows her cats, but not a necessity. I would not consider ANY breeder who releases kittens before 12 weeks of age. I would not consider a breeder that does NOT provide registration papers. Don''t believe someone who says, "Oh, I don''t do the papers. I just sell pets and keep my prices much lower to reflect that!".
38.gif
They are back yard breeders (BYB) and you cannot count on them doing things "right" (they may be inbreeding their cats, or overbreeding their mothers, not getting proper medical care, not socializing the kittens properly, etc., etc.)... without those "papers" you can''t even be sure the cat you are getting is a pure Ragdoll. The going rate for a Ragdoll kitten is approx. $650 - $850... be wary of any price much lower or much higher than that, and the kitten should be spayed or neutered before it is released.

Once you narrow down your search, you could consider joining Ragdoll Central and post a thread asking specifics about the cattery(ies) you are considering. If you can, visit the cattery. If not, ask a LOT of questions... talk to the breeder on the phone... try to get a good feeling for things, and trust your gut! Reputable breeders will let their female breeder cats "run the house" and be "underfoot" at all times, unless there is a new litter and then the mom and babies are typically put in a safe room (nursery). BUT once the kittens are older and have their first set of vaccinations, they, too, should have their run of the house. This is invaluable in properly socializing a Ragdoll kitten (or any kitten). Just say NO to any breeder that uses cages!!!
29.gif
Of course the male stud cat(s) need to be kept in separate quarters, for obvious reasons, although a good breeder should at times let the male(s) run the house while the females are safely tucked away in a locked bedroom, etc. A lot of this is common sense, but I''m telling you, there are some bad breeders out there.

I have always been a cat person... I love all felines. But there is something so special to me about Ragdolls. Boo is the sweetest, funniest, most gentle, affectionate, and wonderful animal I have ever been privieged to love. He enriches our lives beyond measure! I cannot wait till Bentley joins our family. I feel like I have truly "found my breed" and I will never be without a Raggie (or two!) in my home. Ever!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

KayPea

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much everyone for all this wonderful advice!

Lynn,
I currently live in Birmingham, Al but I am originally from Raleigh and have LOTS of family there still. I will be in touch with Megaliee. I have also filled out the kitten questionaire on the Excalibur website to go ahead and start communication with them. I saw they had a 7 month old ragdoll avaiable not long ago so if that situation were to happen again I think that would be great for me.

I am going to try to get an older kitten AND have a friend(s) come by and play with the kitten while I am at work. I would never want the kitten to feel scared or upset. I would of course plan to have many days off from work when first getting the kitten to help him/her adjust.

I can tell finding the right breeder and a ragdoll at the right age and location is going to be a lot harder than I first imagined. But I''m sure it will all work out just fine! I''ll just need to be patient and wait for the right situation. I''ve been googling and researching ragdolls and breeders almost nonstop since I first posted on here and I can tell there is still SO much that I do not know.

Thank you all again! Everyone on here is so nice and helpful! Its been nice to talk with people that own ragdolls and are speaking from experience.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 10:18:33 AM
Thank you so much everyone for all this wonderful advice!

Lynn,
I currently live in Birmingham, Al but I am originally from Raleigh and have LOTS of family there still. I will be in touch with Megaliee. I have also filled out the kitten questionaire on the Excalibur website to go ahead and start communication with them. I saw they had a 7 month old ragdoll avaiable not long ago so if that situation were to happen again I think that would be great for me.

I am going to try to get an older kitten AND have a friend(s) come by and play with the kitten while I am at work. I would never want the kitten to feel scared or upset. I would of course plan to have many days off from work when first getting the kitten to help him/her adjust.

I can tell finding the right breeder and a ragdoll at the right age and location is going to be a lot harder than I first imagined. But I''m sure it will all work out just fine! I''ll just need to be patient and wait for the right situation. I''ve been googling and researching ragdolls and breeders almost nonstop since I first posted on here and I can tell there is still SO much that I do not know.

Thank you all again! Everyone on here is so nice and helpful! Its been nice to talk with people that own ragdolls and are speaking from experience.
Yes, you are probably up for a little bit of a challenge to find the *purrrfect*
2.gif
kitty for you, but please hang in there! It is FAR FROM impossible; it may just take some time and effort - but it will all pay off and you will have your own wonderful Raggie at the end. OH! How exciting!

And if you contact Megailee''s, tell Gail that Lynn sent you!!!
36.gif

KayPea

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hey everybody! I just wanted to give you all a ragdoll update! I contacted Gail at Megailee in NC and just got a real good feeling about her and her kittens. I also found out she lives about 5 mins from my aunt and uncle in NC (small world!). I told her about my concerns with leaving the kitten while I am at work and she said she could hold him till he was older if I wanted her too but that younger kittens actually have an easier time adjusting. I also have lots of friends willing to cat sit while I am at work. I decided to get a male blue mitted lynx. Here he is! (if I am uploading this pictures right...I''ve never posted pictures so hopefully this works!).

kpkit.jpg

KayPea

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here is another picture when he is a little older (about 4 weeks in this one). I am trying to decide on a name...right now I''m thinking he might be Sawyer. Do you guys have name suggestions?

kpkit2.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG your new baby is ADORABLE!!
30.gif
30.gif

When does he come home?

I think as long as you are careful and try to have someone look in on him at least once a day when you are gone for a long time while he is tiny, bringing home a baby will probably be fine. I can see why you fell in love with that face - what a cutie pie!!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that was fast! Congratulations on finding a kitty, KayPea (and welcome to PS, by the way!). What a beautiful kitty!

AmberGretchen and Lynn are excellent resources for helping people with questions about cats, and I always love reading their advice.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OH, I am grinning from ear-to-ear!!!
9.gif
Your new baby is 100% ADORABLE!

I am soooo excited that you are getting a Raggie... and one from Gail, no less! That makes our babies related, "half brothers", in fact!

So, let's see... we are both getting blue lynx mitted boys from the same breeder with the same daddy, just a few weeks apart in age! We'll have so much fun comparing stories and watching them grow up!!! How COOL is THAT???!

We pick up Bentley in 14 days, I'll be sure to peek at your boy while I'm there!

I LOVE the name Sawyer, BTW! Adorable name for an adorable little guy!

Well... I hope the weeks pass faster for you than they have for us... I'm not gonna lie to you, it's been TORTURE!!!
2.gif
But Gail's weekly pictures and updates really help.

Have you checked out Ragdoll Central yet? You'll love that place... wonderful people who are as cat crazee as we are!!!
9.gif

KayPea

Rough_Rock
Trade

Thank you all so much for sharing in my excitment! He doesn''t come home until April and it feels like FOREVER!

Lynn if you see him when you pick up Bentley you will have to tell me all about him! It will be so much fun to share stories while they grow up! I''ve seen Ragdoll Central before when I was researching the breed. I will have to revisit it!

I''m ALMOST positive his name will be Sawyer but I''m going to wait a bit longer just incase I fall in love with another name.

I''ll post pictures as Gail sends them too me!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2010 8:52:30 PM

Thank you all so much for sharing in my excitment! He doesn''t come home until April and it feels like FOREVER!

Lynn if you see him when you pick up Bentley you will have to tell me all about him! It will be so much fun to share stories while they grow up! I''ve seen Ragdoll Central before when I was researching the breed. I will have to revisit it!

I''m ALMOST positive his name will be Sawyer but I''m going to wait a bit longer just in case I fall in love with another name.

I''ll post pictures as Gail sends them too me!

I will definitely ask to look at him when we pick up Bentley! Hopefully I will even be able to get a few pictures! Will you be able to visit at all, or will you be like us, meeting him (and Gail) for the first time on pick-up day?

I know what you mean about naming him... I love(d) "Bentley" but wasn''t 100% sure there wasn''t another name out there I might love more... but after a few days of referring to him as Bentley, and THINKING of him as Bentley... well, pretty soon we just knew it HAD TO BE "Bentley"! But honestly, I think Sawyer is ADORABLE and fits him to a "T"!

I am so excited... for BOTH of us!
36.gif

KayPea

Rough_Rock
Trade
91%; HEIGHT: 204px" class="ibbquote">Date: 2/14/2010 9:08:47 PM
Author: Lynn B

I will definitely ask to look at him when we pick up Bentley! Hopefully I will even be able to get a few pictures! Will you be able to visit at all, or will you be like us, meeting him (and Gail) for the first time on pick-up day?

I know what you mean about naming him... I love(d) ''Bentley'' but wasn''t 100% sure there wasn''t another name out there I might love more... but after a few days of referring to him as Bentley, and THINKING of him as Bentley... well, pretty soon we just knew it HAD TO BE ''Bentley''! But honestly, I think Sawyer is ADORABLE and fits him to a ''T''!

I am so excited... for BOTH of us!
36.gif
I will be like you... not meeting him till I pick him up
8.gif
I can''t wait to see him!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results