shape
carat
color
clarity

Public holiday''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We have today off. It is Good Friday and it is illegal for any big chain or business to open.
Saturday is 3.5 times pay for businesses that open, Sunday is illegal like good friday.
Monday is a public holiday.

Ids it the same in other countries?
It seems strange here - since we are a multi cultural lot, Asian, etc. Even our large Greek population - they celebrate Easter in a months time.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Nope- not the same over here in the US. Not illegal to work any day...although most people that work holidays get holiday pay which is usually double time. Many people take Good Friday off, but most places of business are open. I work in a hospital, so we never close
face14.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

When I was growing up I recall the "illegal" workday/holiday; but that has long ceased to be in effect; and it seems that the only day that businesses universally close around here is Christmas. Except perhaps in the province of Quebec---they seem to have many rules and regulation all their own.

Happy Easter.
emhot.gif

Cheers--Sharon

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over here, some businesses are closed but not all. Large chains are open but they are open on Sundays here too.

Royal mail still delivered letters this morning.

It is a public holiday here on Monday, all banks and businesses mostly will be closed. Large chain stores will be open, sometimes if there is more than 1 of that chain in the same city they will close one of them as they do on Sundays.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not much slows down here. Not much is really even closed on Easter Sunday. A lot of restaurants have Easter meals so they are open, and a lot of stores are open on Easter Sunday. Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Monday are all business as usual.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
A few people I know have off today (Schools and a select few businesses). More just to give people a long weekend for easter than to observe good friday though. As for sunday, the mall that I work at is closed, but the restaurant I work with is opening for dinner (not for lunch though)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2005 8:39:35 PM
Author:Garry H (Cut Nut)
We have today off. It is Good Friday and it is illegal for any big chain or business to open.
Saturday is 3.5 times pay for businesses that open, Sunday is illegal like good friday.
Monday is a public holiday.

Ids it the same in other countries?
It seems strange here - since we are a multi cultural lot, Asian, etc. Even our large Greek population - they celebrate Easter in a months time.
Same here... for the local Easter (the Greek schedule, not now).

I am not sure what is the opening tax.

sparklish

Shiny_Rock
In Canada, it''s not illegal to be open (I don''t think), though many stores are closed. However, it varies by province. For example in Nova Scotia, in the eastern part of Canada, stores cannot open on Sunday PERIOD. Only shops aimed at tourists can be open, but all others are closed. Recently there was a movement to change this, but they held a referendum and people voted against Sunday shopping. I think it''s kinda cool myself... kind of like a mandatory "buy-nothing" day. But then, I don''t live there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results