carat
color
clarity

PSA Never follow a truck carrying tanks of compressed gas

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PSA, everyone please watch this.
Try to watch it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ-fBgzwikA&feature=player_embedded#at=14

When I worked in a lab that used such tanks I remember we had to use a strap to secure each one to a bench.
We were told very bad things can happen if one falls over.

SNIP: ompressed gas cylinders are powerful concentrations of potential energy. Any pressure vessel used to store gases at above-atmospheric pressure can be described as a bomb (or at least bomb-like). Under the wrong set of circumstances, they can release that energy in lethal explosive events.
http://www.xpresstags.com/blog/hazards-of-compressed-gas-storage/

screen_shot_2014-03-08_at_10.png

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: PSA Never follow a truck carrying tanks of compressed ga

I hate following trucks with that sort of thing! Makes me nervous as I know what they can do...

Thanks for posting the reminder!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1394346029|3630368 said:

Catchy music and pyrotechnics, I must admit, but not entertaining if one was worried about the driver. Do you know if he made it out alive? I saw a comment that said, "The driver gets out at 0:27. He is safe." That makes me feel better!

Deb

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

Friggin' third world, ain't it.

Note that the valves break off and the cylinders become torpedoes, in addition to the explosions and shrapnel. A good sized cylinder can easily go through a concrete block wall or maybe even two without slowing down much. That's why they have to be kept in cylinder stands and/or chained in the workplace.

Person in the white car should have seized the opportunity, gunned it and got out of there before the blaze really took off. The next safest place to "gone" would be to hop the concrete divider and hug it and stay down low as possible while running away. Definitely don't stand there videoing and begging to get hit. :rolleyes:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you for sharing this Kenny, just sent it to my 18 yr old driver--
sarahb

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

I'll never forget the time we got stuck in a very long traffic jam on the way to the coast. I found out later that an RV that had a propane tank strapped to its rear had been rear-ended. The tank exploded and turned the RV into a fiery inferno, killing everyone in it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

I remember a 60 minutes from the '70's that showed a BBQ propane tank falling over. You might have seen that too, Kenny, there were only 3 freakin' channels at the time. :D

Thing exploded like the Fourth of July. :shock:

Supposedly, they've since replaced the tops/valves in such a way that this won't happen anymore. Yeah, whatever. :rolleyes: I haven't used a big tank propane BBQ in all the years since. I finally got off charcoal and bought a BBQ that uses those little canisters about the size of a drinking glass. I am still deathly afraid of it, but I am intensely careful, and they are small.

Cross your fingers. :???:

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Thanks Kenny! I would like to add that ANY pressurized cylinder can explode/launch itself under certain circumstances (eg fire extinguishers) regardless of its flammability characteristics. That's why there are monthly audit protocols in work settings. If you have a fire extinguisher in your car, RV and/or in the kitchen, make sure the pressure gauge indicator is within the green zone and the exterior condition of the cylinder shows no sign of corrosion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results