shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong Basket Setting for Earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odinsmom

Rough_Rock
I just picked up two pair of diamond studs that I had the jeweler reset into 3 prong basket settings. The diamonds are floating way above the bars (or whatever you call that ring where the diamond sits). Aren''t the diamonds suppossed to sit on that ring? I''ve been looking at the 3 prong settings on the sites frequented here and the diamonds don''t appear to float way up above or is it an optical illusion.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 1/21/2004 12:36:58 PM Odinsmom wrote:

Aren't the diamonds suppossed to sit on that ring? ----------------

Well, no. That "bridge" or whatever is called when round, is suposed to keep the prongs from bending and make the "basket" structure stiff - this is important when one expects to have a high mounting. There are mountings with either option: the position of that bridge is a matter of aestetic option, I guess...

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Odinsmom,

I think it's a matter of taste. When I got my studs, they were well above that little bar (they are 4-prong basket type settings). It bugged me too. I felt like Frankenstein the way they sat up so high.
3.gif
I had them reset in the same settings lower so that the girdle of the stone is just above the bar. They look and feel much better.
1.gif

Diamondlil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results