shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Graduate Degrees

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
Who here has one or is working on one? In what?

Myself: I''m planning on applying to grad school to start next year. Applied Communications or Liberal Studies. Not sure yet
23.gif

I would love to hear what you guys have done!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
M.S. in Marine Environmental Sciences, in 1999.

sosst7

Shiny_Rock
I will receive my Masters in Criminal Justice this fall, thank goodness!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Masters in Counseling Psychology 1988. God, I''m getting old
7.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Starting my Masters in Music in the Fall of 2006 (wind conducting)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Masters in management & currently trying to talk myself out of entering law school.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
In 3 weeks I will have my Masters in Urban and Regional Planning! Almost done, yay!!

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
sunkist - That''s cool! My DH just started his Masters in Urban Planning. In fact, he just started his first class last week and is already up to his ears in assignments!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Master of Science in Nursing, 2006, allowing me to practice as a women''s health nurse practitioner....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I have a JD. Don't remember what year. Admitted to the bar 2001.

#1- talk yourself right OUT of that Matata!

#2- Microbiology / Virology Firegoddess? Holy crap!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Masters in financial markets - 2001

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
First is anyone doing Urban Planning at CUPR?

Second... HOLY CRAP indeed Fire Goddess!

Third... JD 2002

nicolejrx

Shiny_Rock
I have a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D) from the University of Arizona
FI has a DO from Midwestern
My best friend is a Ph.D candidate in Immunology
My sister is a Ph.D student in the field of Interpersonal Communications
Lots of graduate degrees!!!

Firegoddess where did you go to school, my best friend is at the University of Rochester, NY.

Nicole

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 6:49:26 PM
Author:CJS924
Who here has one or is working on one? In what?

Myself: I''m planning on applying to grad school to start next year. Applied Communications or Liberal Studies. Not sure yet
23.gif

I would love to hear what you guys have done!
what would be the earning capacity of someone with a masters in liberal studies vs. a masters in communications?

at risk of sounding like someone''s mother, would the liberal arts be an expensive waste of time?

alyson423

Rough_Rock
Master of Library and Information Science, Archives Management Concentration, 2003.

Done with the classes for a Master of Arts in History. Still have to write my thesis- Boo!
34.gif

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
ladykemma - lol...your comment doesn't surprise me as I've heard it before (I appreciate your honesty though). Perhaps an expensive waste of time to some, while an invaluable experience for others.

I've always looked at higher education as a privilege and never as a fast-track to a certain career...I go to school simply for the passion of learning what I want to learn. I've completed undergrad degrees in Biotechnology and Forensic Science (I'm a Cell Biologist), but I also have a love for writing and literature
34.gif
. The Communications and Liberal Studies schools at the university I'm looking at share many commonalities...much focus on research and writing. Honestly, if I could be paid to be a life-long student, I'd be all over that
9.gif

FYI...my undergrad degrees were collectively quite the expense and grad school would probably cost the same or maybe even a little less.

Earning capacity? Aside from earning either graduate degree, it would depend on the persons' previous education and work experience. For anybody, a sound scientific base + strong writing/research/analytical skills = endless oppportunities for work
1.gif

Whoa...there's a lot of smart cookies up in here!
36.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
After I earn my teacher retirement, at age 65 I want to enter Houston Baptist University to get a master in social work. 22 years to go.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
CJS- What type of job will you be looking for? I might think that depending on what you're looking for- a liberal studies masters might be as valuable as comparable work experience...unless of course you are talking a masters in the sciences, or a jd, or teaching or a particluar field like some above etc where it is specialized and you really need the masters. I' not sure a master in liberal studies would make you any more valuable to an employer....Just my 2 cents, not really knowing for sure. Not quite sure what applied communications is...I think depending on the type of job you're looking for, employers might be more impressed with work experience than a liberal studies master...you might already have thoe strong writing and analytical skills...and everyone puts that on the resume anyway
10.gif
You have impressive scientific backround...don't see how lib arts or communications would help you b/c of the nature of te scientific field...but if you want to go for yourself and for the love of learning and it's something you enjoy, that's another matter...sure is expensive though...No matter what you decide, more education is never a bad thing or a regret! It would just be a shame if you invested the time and money to find out that you are just as employable as you were before. I'm sure my post helped you decide LOL. NOT!

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Master of Music, 2002

Totally useless degree. (Currently teaching music in public schools, just completed my 4th year.) I don''t enjoy it at all, considering a second career. Maybe Pharm?

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
I am going to start Graduate School within the next year. Hopefully in Science. I''m still trying to figure out what exactly I want to do! I have my BA in Education--which is NOT what I want to be doing! I would love to do something interesting in science! I know I can''t keep waiting...I am 27 now!
7.gif
I stopped working to raise my kids. My son is 3 and my daughter 8 months. I want to acquire more education so I can get a well paying job!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/26/2006 11:28:50 PM
Author: nicolejrx
I have a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D) from the University of Arizona
FI has a DO from Midwestern
My best friend is a Ph.D candidate in Immunology
My sister is a Ph.D student in the field of Interpersonal Communications
Lots of graduate degrees!!!

Firegoddess where did you go to school, my best friend is at the University of Rochester, NY.

Nicole
Doctor of Pharmacy as well, 2003.

Hey Nicole -- I graduated from Midwestern Univ. -- the Illinois campus!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Masters in Education 2001. (undergrad Nursing).

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results