shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: For how long are people happy with their settings?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very curious because I reset mine this year and I think about other settings I might like better. Then I am offPS for a day or two, love my setting again, and it starts all over when I am back. How any of you still love your setting, would never change sit, how long have you had it, and if you're thinking about changing it, how long have you had it and why? Thanks for helping me understand better. :loopy:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Poll: For how long are people happy with their settings

I am very slow to come up with the design because I dislike changing settings (it costs money! :cheeky: ). I have no qualms about wearing a plain temporary solitaire until the right setting pops up (I tend to prefer something custom). Often times, it takes me anywhere from several months to several years to come up with the IT setting and so far, I've never felt the itch to reset my ring. It doesn't mean that I don't drool over other settings at all. I love all the different eye candies but they do not feel "me" as much as mine does. The only time any of my rings have been reset is when they are upgraded. If the stone still fits, the old setting is reused. If the stone is too large, I get a temporary cheapo until I know exactly what I want.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

I am fairly lazy.. once i set something, i dont change. Though i must say the oldest setting is about 3 yrs, as i have only recently had the chance to partake in owning diamond rings. :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've had mine almost three years and still love it. I don't foresee myself changing it unless it breaks or starts losing a lot of pave stones or maybe if my center stone falls out again. And if I did get it reset, right now I'd get the exact same thing but hand-forged. So, uh, obviously I like the way it looks.

Once I get a thing I am usually happy with it. Of course I always want MORE things but I am only very rarely willing to give up a thing I already have in order to get them! I much prefer the things I have and have developed feelings for over new, slightly unknown things.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

1-it takes me a long time to commit to a design but when I do I get it right the first time because
2-i am lazy and
3-resetting is $ I can use for something else.

my spess has been set as is for I think 8 years now. I never contemplate resetting it.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

I re-set my engagement ring as soon as I got it, by swapping out the head (changed from a boring old six-prong basket that looked like, well, a basket and overwhelmed the diamond) to a sleek, modern thick half-bezel, and I'm still happy with it eight years later.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I kept the same diamond but changed the setting 3 times over the years. 1st setting 13 years, 2nd also 13 years, 3rd 3 years. All the settings were classic solitaires except the last one had a halo. This year I upgraded my diamond and I went way off script :loopy: I started with a plain temporary solitaire but it was just missing something?? After 3 months I changed out the basket and added a halo but kept the shank hoping it just needed some extra sparkle. It's beautiful but just still not right for me :(sad So I'm going back to a classic solitaire. I am going custom and should get the CADs today. I plan on keeping this setting forever. Any experimenting in future will be reserved for less expensive RHR's since I'm driving myself crazy with all this indecisiveness :roll:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it really depends on the person. Some people are sentimental, some aren't. Some can afford to reset often, some can't. Some find the "perfect-for-them" setting first time, some don't... some people's definitions of "perfect for me" are more fluid than others'.

I have a history of being fickle with settings. Earlier this year I had a piece made by RDG, a small company that has a policy of not re-making custom designs, and that is a "forever" piece for a number of reasons - it's literally irreplaceable, there's no way in h*ll I'm "repurposing" a 10k setting, and I love it! (This one's most important, right?)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was never happy with my setting... does that count?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've had mine for 7 years and today I saw a thread that piqued my interest in changing settings!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I still don't like the setting for my garnet. I wasn't 100% sold once I saw it set and I'm still not over it. It's a beautiful setting but the jeweler added a basket on top of the halo to get the gem to fit and now I'm not sure the basket can be removed without damaging the rest of the setting. I saved for many months for it so I hate to admit defeat.

My e-ring - thrilled with my settings! I don't ever see not liking them.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It took me several tries to get it right, but I'm totally satisfied with both my 3 stone setting and my oval setting....now, I just wish that the center stone on the 3 stone were a bit larger!! However, h_ll will freeze before I change it....I'd have to scrap the setting and start over....DH would divorce me first! :shock:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had my 1.19ct EC in a simple bezel set on a plain band since 2004, and decided it needs to be re-set in a more substantial setting with a bit more bling about a couple of years ago.

DK :))

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

I've found that my the urge to change or get something new has faded severely with time. When I first found Pricescope in 2003 and also those great deals on white gold settings on ebay for only $250 - $1000, I was like a kid in a candy store. I switched from YG to white metals. If I liked it and could afford it, I bought it. That spree probably continued through to 2006 or so. Now I am bored and I seldom see anything novel enough to wow me, and I see no great deals that make me buy. I'd like to reset the big almost 2ct diamond that I bought back in 2006 or 2007 but the thrill evidently must be gone. I see a lot of rings that I like, but I have "enough" now and I expect it's going to take another style sea change like the advent of halos and white metals with pave' in 2003-2004 to make me replace anything. Rose gold is what I want, but I keep vacillating on style. I just don't want a killer ring badly enough anymore, I suppose. Part of that comes from being stuck in a rural small town where there is nobody else to appreciate it, and no social life for a single professional woman.

Back in 2004 or so, I found great deals on decent settings on ebay and I bought up a bunch of them, platinum and white gold. Some, like the halos, I actually used and still enjoy. Others, like the vintage platinum settings, I finally sold at a profit. They had just been sitting around here unused and I didn't want money tied up in them anymore.

I wore the same e-ring mounting from 1 year after I became engaged until my divorce, a total of 11 years or so. A sim lives in it now, and I still wear it occasionally as a RHR. I'd probably use it for my .8ct everyday ring, except that it's yellow gold and I switched to white gold.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

Dee*Jay|1385054700|3560663 said:
I was never happy with my setting... does that count?

Dee Jay, I just have to laugh, because I have always been like that about the big diamond ring that I have. It came with a platinum mounting, which I saw as a really practical buy; no additional expense. And that diamond is still in that same setting. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've changed my ER and my settings a number of times now (but not since I got my OEC ER) and for me it comes down to 2 main factors. The first one being that my previous rings and settings just didn't fit my ring aesthetic and it took me some time to realize what that is. And the second reason is I like many different settings/rings/diamonds lol so there you go lol. In any case as long as it's just the jewelry you like to change/reset etc it's all good...as long as you keep the same guy. :cheeky:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yssie|1385054131|3560653 said:
I think it really depends on the person. Some people are sentimental, some aren't. Some can afford to reset often, some can't. Some find the "perfect-for-them" setting first time, some don't... some people's definitions of "perfect for me" are more fluid than others'.

I have a history of being fickle with settings. Earlier this year I had a piece made by RDG, a small company that has a policy of not re-making custom designs, and that is a "forever" piece for a number of reasons - it's literally irreplaceable, there's no way in h*ll I'm "repurposing" a 10k setting, and I love it! (This one's most important, right?)

Ys, just knowing this ring is out there, even without details, makes me very happy. It sounds tremendously special, and you're a) a perfectionist and, b) a lovely, giving person. You deserve something that meets your high standards and gives you joy on a daily basis! Likewise, Michael is both a talented artist and a kind, generous person - it's kind of nifty that two people who go out of their way to give people the benefit of their expertise collaborated. Wear it in joy and good health!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

And, to address the original question ....

I'm actually weirdly consistent in terms of the sorts of settings I like - I gravitate towards fishtail prongs, octagonal settings a close second, ornate Edwardian-through-Deco a less specific over-arching theme. So once I get a thing, I tend to be good with it ... BUT I'm also a 1(k) Ring to Rule Them All kind of gal as opposed to a One Ring to Rule Them All kind of gal - I like variety more than singular perfection, so over the years my budget has gone towards a variety of stacking bands and RHRs as opposed to upgrades. On the one hand I cringe when I add it all up and think about the honker I could have gotten. On the other hand ... I always have another look for my hand for when I get bored! All with discrete bonus sentiment. :love:

I do think it's the sentiment that makes it for me. I LIKE looking at this ring vs. that one, remembering where we were when I got it, emotionally, physically, and otherwise. It's like my version of a memory palace. ;)) And since I tend to be a little scattered otherwise ... I dunno if I'd get the same effect if I consolidated.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, Circe, that's so sweet of you to say!! And... well, talk about a perfectly-timed pick-me-up - I just got home from work and I've been feeling a bit left-out recently - I'm the only one who knows part of the system and we have a big release coming up so it makes sense that I'm the one fielding it, but it sorta leaves me on the sidelines... Now I feel warm and fuzzy and very cheered :bigsmile:

As for the other - I can't believe I don't have your email! How did we manage that? I just sent you a message through Etsy if you still use that account ::)

//k, threadjack over.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:read: ...For the avg PSer is 6 months.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm still happy with mine. 6 years since the original and 2 since my halo repair.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I find I like a change in my One Ring about every 12 to 18 months. I am at that point now! I have been forbidden by the diamond posse of selling or changing my current old cut ring :rodent: so to satisfy the itch I bought a 7mm yellow gold wedding band and a yellow metal Skagen watch and I am getting a good amount of enjoyment wearing that combo! Buuuut... it's not the same as a brand new precious. I want to wear my honker AND have it feel new! I have been contemplating a reset -- of course keeping my current mount in case I wanted it back.

So, long story short, the shelf life of a ring in my book is 12-18months. Ironically, that is also the shelf life of wild passion in a romantic relationship... I think I see a pattern :devil:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1385104785|3561165 said:
I find I like a change in my One Ring about every 12 to 18 months. I am at that point now! I have been forbidden by the diamond posse of selling or changing my current old cut ring :rodent: so to satisfy the itch I bought a 7mm yellow gold wedding band and a yellow metal Skagen watch and I am getting a good amount of enjoyment wearing that combo! Buuuut... it's not the same as a brand new precious. I want to wear my honker AND have it feel new! I have been contemplating a reset -- of course keeping my current mount in case I wanted it back.

So, long story short, the shelf life of a ring in my book is 12-18months. Ironically, that is also the shelf life of wild passion in a romantic relationship... I think I see a pattern :devil:

Who'd'a thunk it? No wonder I couldn't stay with a guy more than six months through college - my rings' shelf lives seem to be about half yours' Dreamer :halo: Is there a part two to account for being married three years? :bigsmile:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Um, well I was never happy with basically any setting.

I don't currently own a diamond now, but when I did, I set that sucker in I think 8 settings? before I finally just got rid of it completely.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila, I didn't realize you had that many settings! I was thinking 2 or 3, but dang, girl! Will you ever go back to wearing a diamond?

I've never been 100% happy with my setting, but I didn't choose it. I've been all over the board as far as what to change it to over the past few years. I have diamond sidestones, I have emerald sidestones. I haven't done anything with either because I can't commit to one over the other. I really want something totally different than sidestones--I want a VC Emilya setting like someone posted recently in SMTB! But it's so delicate, and babies, and argh! So I just haven't made a move, period.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yssie|1385148463|3561381 said:
Dreamer_D|1385104785|3561165 said:

Who'd'a thunk it? No wonder I couldn't stay with a guy more than six months through college - my rings' shelf lives seem to be about half yours' Dreamer :halo: Is there a part two to account for being married three years? :bigsmile:

haha... well marriages last because of the bond of friendship between partners. Of course there is still passion in marriage -- if you're lucky :devil: But its not the same intensity as those early months for most couples. For most people the passion fades in 12 -18 months as the novelty wares off the brain gets used to the neurochemicals released when the loved one is near. Then its the emotional bond of friendship keeps people together. Maybe its the same for rings :lol: Maybe our problem is that we aren't good enough friends with our rings :lol:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have only changed a setting once and that was many years ago..do I like my current setting, no, it is the original from 2001...I had hope to change it for my 30th anniversay, but with money so tight it probably wont happen...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

We got engaged 6 years ago, and I've had my engagement ring since then. I've always loved the setting but I wish I had gone with larger side stones. (I have a .92 RB with .15 pear sides in a platinum trellis setting). I don't know if I'll ever change it though. My husband is hugely sentimental about my ring, and I do love it for the most part.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I had my first setting for about 11 years before doing my fairly recent reset. I adore my new setting and can't imagine wanting a change any time soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results