shape
carat
color
clarity

Phobias...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have one? Im talking irrational here. I dont want to hear about your fear of death :halo: :devil:

I have a- what can be at times- crippling fear of preying mantises. If i know one is around or see one i will have a panic attack, things like that.

Silly? very. Terrifying? Extremely.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swimming with big huge sharks, big spiders I don't like but I can live with, similarly snakes, rats, mice, sea snakes, leeches etc, I don't like but am O.K with but being in the water with massive man eating sharks not so much. And scorpions, I don't do scorpions.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the most part no I do not have any but I do have a healthy fear of praying mantis's as well, it goes back to a childhood incident..I hate those darn things.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bad claustrophobia. Bad. I don't even like to get in elevators, always relieved when the door opens & I can get outta that tiny box. Also spiders & big crawly cockroaches -- living in the south, too many of those around. DH gets annoyed when I screech him out of bed to kill one for me. :oops:

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if this would meet the technical definition of phobia but here are my fears.

1. Flying- Rationally I know flying is safe but I hate not being in control of the situation. What is the condition of the plane, who is the pilot and copilot and what is their mind frame that day and level of skill, and how good are the mechanics who checked the plane out and the security personnel making sure nobody with ill intent is on the flight and so on and so forth. As you can tell I am a pleasure as a flying companion. :lol:

2. Big ass bugs- Again, I know they cannot really hurt me because I am bigger and stronger than they are but OMG if they get away I am terrified. That ick factor is just to huge to overcome. And thinking of them getting on my body well :errrr:

That's all I can think of right now though I don't love heights either but I wouldn't say I am scared of them. I just don't want to fall off a mountain or tall building but I have no problem being at a high height as long as I feel in control of the situation.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any proper phobias, but I very, very, very much dislike needles. Next semester I have to do 7 weeks of phlebotomy. That will cure me. :shock:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rattlesnakes. When we lived in the mountains I told my husband that if I ever saw one in my yard, I would be moving the next day. Didn't see one for the nine years we lived there. We still live in rattlesnake country. I don't hike the hills for fear of running into one. I would be petrified and unable to move. A few years ago, one of my sons friends went out barefoot to take the trash cans to the curb. When he stuck his foot into the spot to tip the can and pull it, there was a baby rattler in there and it bit his foot. He was in the hospital for a couple weeks. I think of it every time I go to the trash cans.

I have a bit of claustrophobia and I hate heights as well. Those are pretty common though.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
missy said:
That ick factor is just too huge to overcome. And thinking of them getting on my body well :errrr:
:lol: Missy, you couldn't have described it better!

--- Laurie

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I think mine is related to claustrophobia, but I associate it with being underwater. I cannot stand to scuba dive and snorkeling is something I do, but don't really enjoy. By far the worst is watching divers underwater on television. I cannot watch underwater exploration without my breathing feeling constricted. It's odd because I love swimming.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
missy|1394282837|3629942 said:
I'm not sure if this would meet the technical definition of phobia but here are my fears.

1. Flying- Rationally I know flying is safe but I hate not being in control of the situation. What is the condition of the plane, who is the pilot and copilot and what is their mind frame that day and level of skill, and how good are the mechanics who checked the plane out and the security personnel making sure nobody with ill intent is on the flight and so on and so forth. As you can tell I am a pleasure as a flying companion. :lol:

2. Big a$$ bugs- Again, I know they cannot really hurt me because I am bigger and stronger than they are but OMG if they get away I am terrified. That ick factor is just to huge to overcome. And thinking of them getting on my body well :errrr:

That's all I can think of right now though I don't love heights either but I wouldn't say I am scared of them. I just don't want to fall off a mountain or tall building but I have no problem being at a high height as long as I feel in control of the situation.

Ditto what Missy said, mine EXACTLY. I even stress over what the pilots may have done the day/night prior, are they mentally with the flight or thinking about life problems etc. Every noise the plane makes takes me up another notch of stress. It's awful.

I hate bugs. Big time. Anything that crawls, flies or slithers.

Other than that, I've got a pretty good grip on reality :lol:
sarahb

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Flying

Accidental or violent death

Bugs and Snakes are just fine! No fear at all unless a bite could cause accidental or violent death.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a fear/fascination with sharks. I won't swim by myself in a pool, I won't wear yellow to swim (yum yum yellow don't'cha know) and there will be no yellow floaty mattress to lay on. Mom used to have a bathmat in the tub that was really dark blue and I always had to pull it up and not stand on it b/c it reminded me of deep ocean water. I was in my 20's before I could stand on that old thing, and before I could rinse my hair in the shower w/my eyes closed. I watch anything shark-y on tv-shark week, Great White Expedition etc, and all the shark movies, and I was a moderator on a shark forum for a while. I'm about as far removed from the ocean/sharks as I can possibly be, in Iowa..but I worry that I will have some sort of black out wake up in the middle of the ocean, and what's going to be underneath, hurtling toward me?

Spiders. There is no fascination there. Just a deep loathing. I can kill them if it is by my kids or my kids at school, but I may scream and cry and flap my arms and shriek and hop up and down while doing it and for a while after.

Wasps-you see that short blonde streak running by? That's me. If you see someone running across her yard, vaulting the barberries and tearing ass off down the block, that's me too.

Drowning, dying in a fire, being eaten alive, heights/falling from the sky.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have melissaphobia, fear of bees. I love being outdoors and I love gardening, but I have let a persistent bee trap me inside the house for hours at a time because I'm so afraid of them. :oops: I spend a lot of time thinking about the need for bees in the world vs. my irrational fear/behavior in the summer. I have days that are better than others. If I see the bee coming, I can avoid it and work somewhere else. If I don't see it coming and it surprises me, I'm basically running top speed into the house and not coming out for a good two hours.

Here's a picture I drew in paint last summer while I was writing a little piece about yellow jackets and how much I hate those f&*^#@s.

runsfrombee.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heights. I can barely put a foot on the first step of a ladder :knockout:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Would you folks think I was nuts if I told you I'm scared ****less of AK-47's?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It's not a phobia per se, but I'm WAY creeped out when it comes to mascots. You know, those people in costumes, with giant heads, of one sort or another. I had one stalk me at a baseball game once and I've never gotten over it. The creepiest part about them is that A.) you don't know who's inside there and B.) Lord only knows what they're doing in there :shock: Ick. I'm not a fan of clowns either.

hastyone

Rough_Rock
Yes, I do have one and it has seriously impacted my life. I am absolutely terrified of driving on highways.

I hate this problem of mine. I cannot visit family who live out of town unless I stay for the night because it takes me 3 hours to get there by side roads. :(

I can honestly say that it has held me back from promotions (I am retired now - whew), relocations, travel and a myriad of other activities.

I have had this phobia for as long as I can remember. It is so painful to miss out on all that life has to offer because of this fear.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Needles and claustrophobia, especially being underground (caves). Will. Not. Do It. Ever.

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
Flying. My one and only overseas trip was 2010 (the year I turned 40 and had to get a passport). We went to Thailand. I started crying in the airport carpark. Didn't relax until we touched down in koh samui. I was determine to be brave for my kids first overseas trip but it was my then 8 year old who comforted me!

Just flew interstate last year for an athletics competition for my youngest. Even though it was a short trip, still a basket case

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am terrified of germs. I wash my hands A LOT! I will have major panic attacks if I think there is anything 'contaminated' on or near me.

I also really struggle to go outside on my own. I'm about to go back on antidepressants for the second time. I stupidly came off them when I started to feel better even though my doctor said I will probably need them for life.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having to take the SATs again. First time was 27 years ago.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I have a fear of birds and mice. When I was little we had an enclosed porch and a bird got caught in there somehow with me and I lost it. To this day I don't want to be near a bird. I also hate mice, we had one in our house last fall and I had my first anxiety attack, very scary thing.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
claustrophobia to a stupid degree...I was in a car accident and when they had me strapped down and loaded me in the ambulance I went a little freaky on them. Not to mention two MRIs. Makes my heart beat faster just thinking about it. A crowded elevator also makes me very uncomfortable.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
blood tests and intravenous needles.

I'm a dentist so i give needles all day long without a problem. I can have an intramuscular injection with a small amount of stress but need to be heavily medicated to get a blood test done. last time i tried I had taken a reasonably strong dose of Valium which did not help at all (i normally use more of a sedative rather than an anxiolytic), tried to get the blood tested anyway as my partner had taken time off work to take me. have to have the lady take blood from my hand (done successfully before a few times) as i will never ever let anyone near my elbow for any reason what so ever. anyway, had a huge panic attack, veins collapsed, lady kept poking around trying to get something out, failed, I'm hyperventilating and hysterical for an hour aferwards. never went back to try again, phobia now so much worse

Now I'm very anxious about starting a family as i fear i won't be able to do the standard pregnancy blood tests.

related phobia: being in an accident/car crash and waking up in hospital with IV in my arm an not being able to communicate

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting. Lots of claustrophobia in the group.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heights! No roller coasters, scenic overlooks, ladders , glass floors, skyscrapers! If the fire ladder doesn't reach it, I won't live there.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agoraphobia. I just freaked the f*ck out the other day while shopping at a store with loud music on, crowded rows and rows of clothing, and lots of other shoppers. Funny, FI actually got diagnosed as having it, but after going over all the qualifying characteristics that he has, we realize I actually have it worse.

I remember one time being at a fair grounds for a big Chinese New Year festival thing with rows and rows of vendors. I think I was 5 or 6, because my sister was still a young toddler in her stroller. I remember freaking the f*ck out, feeling like I couldn't move, and that I didn't know how to get out of the place if I tried. It's my first memory of having an anxiety attack.

I am also terrified of many flying bugs that can sting or bite. Mosquitoes, bees, wasps.. I am the one idiot that loses complete composure so I can scream on the top of her lungs, flailing her arms running away after a brief moment of absolute sheer terror and silence. I'm also terrified of spiders that are not daddy long legs. Spiders with big butts freak me out since I'm scared there are tiny baby spiders inside that butt so if I were to step on it, there would be a million teeny tiny baby spiders crawling everywhere. Spiders that are tiny freak me out since I can "lose" them if I don't kill them, and I'll never know where it went.

I'm afraid of needles when getting my blood drawn or for IV drips. I always request the nurses stick my hand instead of that inside area of the arm, since that area makes me extra nervous. I *know* it's more painful on the hand, I don't care, LISTEN TO ME, or DON'T STICK ME. I don't know why they always insist, "Oh I'm good at it, I've been a nurse/phlebotomist for X amount of years, I'll find your vein". NO. I will freak out, and start crying and having an anxiety attack, and they'll never get their blood from me while that occurs. This one is a super weird fear of mine since I have a hugeeee tattoo, and I've gotten a bunch of piercings fine. I just can't do a needle to the inside of my arm. Freaks me out that it'll bend and break off in there. Thanks to grandma warning me as a kid to "stay still or the needle will get lost in your arm and kill you" while I was getting shots.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I have a needle phobia.

I undertook hypnotherapy and had a clinical psychologist as a child to try and sort it out, but the success was limited and short lived! I haven't had professional help as an adult, but will definitely need to if/when I ever fall pregnant.

Last year I desperately needed dental work done. I went under GA for the grisly stuff which was a HOOT (not). At the next stage my dentist (my angel!) gave me a sedative and was able to put me under IV sedation. It is my proudest accomplishment! I feel so badass to have done it. (And so sorry for the frayed nerves of my poor parents and husband who supported me!)

I wish I would just pass out, but I am fight-or-flight. As I've grown older I've realised I could hurt myself/someone in these situations, so I try to let it out in other ways.

Phobias suck. :knockout:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chewbacca|1394408552|3630693 said:
I have a needle phobia.

I undertook hypnotherapy and had a clinical psychologist as a child to try and sort it out, but the success was limited and short lived! I haven't had professional help as an adult, but will definitely need to if/when I ever fall pregnant.

Last year I desperately needed dental work done. I went under GA for the grisly stuff which was a HOOT (not). At the next stage my dentist (my angel!) gave me a sedative and was able to put me under IV sedation. It is my proudest accomplishment! I feel so badass to have done it. (And so sorry for the frayed nerves of my poor parents and husband who supported me!)

I wish I would just pass out, but I am fight-or-flight. As I've grown older I've realised I could hurt myself/someone in these situations, so I try to let it out in other ways.

Phobias suck. :knockout:

You really are my twin.

When I was a wee kid, I had to get my blood drawn at the pediatrician's office since I had an ongoing fever that wasn't getting resolved. I had two nurses holding my 5 year old body down, and the male doctor getting the blood out of me. I kicked one of the nurses in the stomach HARD, and managed to flail out of the way of the needle. I think everyone got injured that day.

It felt so satisfying to kick the lady in the stomach, though. I really was upset at them for poking me with a needle ;(

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a vomit phobia. I thought long and hard about having kids because of it. My 5 yr old has had a stomach virus for the last 4 days. It's a nightmare.

I'm also petrified of wasps, hornets, honey bees, bumble bees.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results