shape
carat
color
clarity

One day in San Francisco. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I am going to San Francisco for a job interview and due to the storm that is coming through the NE part of the country on Tuesday night/Wednesday I am leaving tomorrow. I will have a whole day to do what I please before the interview on Thursday.

Any suggestions about what I should do? I''ve been to SF once before and I remember going to the Golden Gate Bridge but that is about it.

I LOVE wine. Are any wineries open for tasting that day? I will have a car.

Thanks for your suggestions!

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
I say take a tour if you can. That way you get all the highlights without having to worry about driving/getting there/etc. If you go out to Napa or Sonoma, the bigger wineries should be open, but I''d check their websites just to make sure. Or if you decide to stay in the City but still want to do a wine tasting, there''s Press Club by Union Square. It has different wineries represented. I''ve never been but it''s gotten good reviews.

It''s also Chinese New Year so Chinatown has a bunch of activities and is pretty busy right now with all the preparations.

Good luck with interview!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
You can definitely drive to the wineries in an hour and a half from SF. If you''re staying in town, my favorite places are the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, which has lots of gourmet places to eat (sit down and take out gourmet in every possible variety), a great wine store, a cheese store, and amazing foodie stuff all around. If the weather''s nice, you can sit and eat outside on the benches overlooking the Bay. The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art is a short trolley ride away from the Ferry Plaza. There''s also Union Square which is the main shopping mecca in downtown SF, also a short trolley ride away. Enjoy your trip, whatever you do!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I have been dying to visit Napa and Sonoma but I feel like maybe I should wait until my husband is out there with me. Perhaps if I distract myself with some of your suggestions I''ll won''t be as tempted.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh, Claire!

YOU MUST have Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista Cafe. Seriously. Increeeedible. We have tried to recreate it at home with only semi-success.

Also... the wineries are close! But only one day would be... not enough time, although you could probably get on a tour that would do the trick.

And walking the Embarcadero is fun!!! And fresh seafood at the Wharf, though it''s clogged with tourists alllll the tiiime.

Ummmmm... well, you have plenty to keep you busy for now, I think. :D

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Good luck on your interview!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I can''t believe that I am acually interviewing for a real job. I have been in college for 10 years and am ready for the next adventure.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
If you think you might come back with your husband another time, you could check out the Cartier and America at the Legion of Honor. The exhibit is stunning and so is the view of the Golden Gate Bridge!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 12:47:46 PM
Author: Alistra
If you think you might come back with your husband another time, you could check out the Cartier and America at the Legion of Honor. The exhibit is stunning and so is the view of the Golden Gate Bridge!
a must do.

traffic in sf can be horrid....and a trip outside the city and back could eat up more time than you want.

the views from the legion are spectacular....and the cartier exhibit is not to be missed and will eat up hours.

mz

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eat lots of crab legs and clam chowder!
9.gif
I loved walking down Fisherman''s Wharf, despite how touristy it is.

Good luck on the interview!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
That Cartier exhibit looks fabulous!

I get in so late that I am sure I will sleep in (if I can even do that... I''ll be nervous/excited). Then I need to prepare for my interview and do some background research. I think the Cartier exhibit and finding some good food and a glass of wine sounds like a good idea to take up the rest of my day before I turn in for my 7 am interview on Thursday!

I''ll save Napa for another time, I guess. With any luck, we will be living in the area in 5-6 months.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I would skip Napa/Sonoma. It's my favorite place to visit, but I think you'll be overwhelmed trying to do it in one day. And I think it would take up the entire day and you'd miss out on seeing things in the city. Definitely make plans to go back with DH though - you won't regret it.

I'd go to the Press Club and see what wines you can taste in the city. Everyone else gave you great suggestions too! I wanted to throw out climbing Telegraph Hill. You get a little hike through some super cute homes and the view on the top is really pretty (even prettier if you pay to go to the top of Coit Tower, but you can see a lot from the base of the tower too).

eta: Good luck with your interview! I would love to live out there and I'm sure you'll love it too.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I met & married my husband in SF so my list of things to do is very long. We used to eat at a fabulous Thai restaurant called Marnee Thai. I loved the appetizer called Miang Kum, spinach leaves wrapped around dried shrimp, lime, coconut, peanuts and onions. Looks like they have expanded. We used to go to the Irving St. location: Link

Another fun thing is to take a boat tour of the bay. You get on at Fisherman's Warf.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think just hanging in the city is fun. I like the Ferry Plaza, lots of yummy food there, Union Square if you want to go shopping (stop at Lang's Antique Jewelry for a beautiful display window-really incredible).

Also, they are gearing up for Chinese New Year so Chinatown will be hopping. If you're up for a long walk I like to start at Powell St., head up into Chinatown, and then down to Fisherman's Wharf. It's a long walk though so beware! But you'll hit a lot of fun spots.

The basement of the Westfield Mall near Bloomingdales has really yummy food esp. for a food court! Lots of local places have outposts there and it's really yummy if you're looking for something quick or don't know what you're looking for! Out the Door and Bistro Burger are my favorites there. There is also a 'wichcraft behind Bloomies which is Tom Colicchio's sandwich place if you like Top Chef.

I'm really excited to go to the Cartier exhibit in a few weeks with the other SF PSer's-it is supposed to be incredible.

There is also an amazing museum called the California Academy of Sciences if you like that stuff (which I think you do IIRC). It is right next to the museum that the Cartier exhibit is at.

If you need anything while you're here let me know, I live in the area.

Good luck with your interview!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I am almost in SF (posting from the las Vegas airport) and after reading even more great suggestions I think I just need to eat my way through the city tomorrow! Love Thai food and love top chef!! I actually did a top chef tour of Atlanta a couple I weeks ago an it was amazing. If it''s nice out I''ll make sure to walk around a lot too. I''ll need to work off all that good food.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rosenblum Vineyards. In Alameda (just over the Bay Bridge), kookie (in an airplane hanger) , but FABULOUS wine, great great staff. And have dinner or lunch (make a reservation) at the Slanted Door (incredible food) in SF (Ferry Bulding). For an amazing view go for dessert a the Top of the Mark (expensive to eat at, but dessert is good, and the view is the same) in the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental.

The weather out here isn't great right now, but if you want a 'real' vineyard (vines) you can come out to the East Bay and go to Deer Ridge and Wente. Personally though, if you can skip the vines but want an awesome winery experience: Rosenblum. SO much fun and the wines are AMAZING and nice and close to SF.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I had an "a ha!" moment on the plane tonight... I am staying in Dublin which is right next door to Livermore! How could I forget Livermore wineries? So all is not lost on the wine front. I may have time for a winery visit tomorrow after all and still be able to visit some of the suggested spots in San Francisco.

I may also have time on Thursday evening after the interview and Friday during the day before my flight leaves at 3.

Thanks again for the suggestions! I am going to have a hard time boiling them down to only a few things. Everything sounds so great.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live near dublin and got married in Livermore at Deer Ridge. Wente and Deer Ridge are the two I would visit. But honestly, Rosenblum is my favorite still for wine and atmosphere... and it is on your way to SF. If you go to Deer Ridge see if they have some of their "Moonstruck" to try, it's good. BTW... I'd take the Bart to SF. Get off at Embarcadero and go to the Ferry Building. Slanted Door! Wooo Hooo. I wouldn't drive in. And the Bay Bridge is having issues so if at all possible, avoid it at anything approaching rush hour.

And if you need anything... well, like I said, I'm close. :)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
please take the "use Bart" advice seriously: driving in SF could be a problem [especially afternoons] and parking is hard to find and/or expensive.

the Slanted Door and markets in and around the Ferry Building will give you a "taste" of SF. as you''re in Dublin already, i''d take Gypsy''s advice and head out to Livermore.....

mz

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 6:11:57 AM
Author: Gypsy
I live near dublin and got married in Livermore at Deer Ridge. Wente and Deer Ridge are the two I would visit. But honestly, Rosenblum is my favorite still for wine and atmosphere... and it is on your way to SF. If you go to Deer Ridge see if they have some of their 'Moonstruck' to try, it's good. BTW... I'd take the Bart to SF. Get off at Embarcadero and go to the Ferry Building. Slanted Door! Wooo Hooo. I wouldn't drive in. And the Bay Bridge is having issues so if at all possible, avoid it at anything approaching rush hour.

And if you need anything... well, like I said, I'm close. :)

You read my mind Gypsy! I was going to ask for advice on wineries next. I'll look at the tasting room hours for those two.

You are close, huh! It didn't even occur to me to look up where you got married. I knew it was a winery but I wasn't sure what part of the area it was in.

As for Friday (when I think I'll make it all the way into the city now that I'm distracted by wineries so close by) does anyone have any suggestions as to what BART station I could park in to ride into the city? I'd love to get a little closer than Dublin. Is there a good station to park in near Alameda? That seems like it would be convenient.

ETA: Just noticed that you did suggest Deer Ridge and Wente in your first post, Gypsy. Thats what I get for reading when overtired!

Looking at the maps of BART I'm guessing that I should park in Lake Merritt or Fruitvale?

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 1:04:40 AM
Rosenblum Vineyards. In Alameda (just over the Bay Bridge), kookie (in an airplane hanger) , but FABULOUS wine, great great staff. And have dinner or lunch (make a reservation) at the Slanted Door (incredible food) in SF (Ferry Bulding). For an amazing view go for dessert a the Top of the Mark (expensive to eat at, but dessert is good, and the view is the same) in the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental.

The weather out here isn''t great right now, but if you want a ''real'' vineyard (vines) you can come out to the East Bay and go to Deer Ridge and Wente. Personally though, if you can skip the vines but want an awesome winery experience: Rosenblum. SO much fun and the wines are AMAZING and nice and close to SF.

If you''re going to be in Alameda, you should totally check out St. George Distillery in hanger 1 (they make hanger 1 vodka). It''s a fun place to do a tasting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Claire, have fun! There are a few decent places to eat out here but they are either A) hole in the wall or B) expensive. But Wente has a nice dining room (pricey) and then there is Haps Original Steak House (pricey) and in Danville (you'd have to drive) there are a few places that are nice. In Livermore Uncle Yu's is a really good chinese restuarant (and where I had my rehersal dinner), it's got class and won't break the budget, plus the service is nice.

There are other PSers who live in the general area as well, and might chime in.

I'd take the Fruitvale Bart, I guess... but there are some stations where you might not want to leave a car at. Dublin is safe though. So is Castro Valley.

ETA: If I didn't have 3 sick kitties (one of whom I may have to have surgery in the next 24 hours) I would totally want to meet up, but unfortunately I just can't right now. If you move out here we'll have to GTG!!!!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
My day today:

Working on my interview presentation and then wine tasting at Concannon, Wente, and Tamas Estates (Euro style wines also owned by Wente). I am going to dinner tonight with the other candidates and a few of the people from the company in town. I have thoroughly enjoyed the little time I''ve had here and I will go into SF on Friday morning or perhaps tomorrow after my interview is over.

Thanks again for the advice everyone! I knew I could count on PSers to steer me in the right direction to use my time effectively.

Gypsy- No worries about not being able to meet up. I understand the sick kitty thing. I hope that you are able to avoid surgery. If (when???) I move out here we will work something out. There are so many PSers out here it would be impossible not to!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 12:18:40 PM
Author: Clairitek
Thanks! I can''t believe that I am acually interviewing for a real job. I have been in college for 10 years and am ready for the next adventure.

I know right?! I am still having the "wait, I am not going to be in grad school this time next year" moments. I can''t wait to hear how your interview went. Good luck! (And, good eats, too!).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clairitek-I will be in Dublin tomorrow during the day-how funny. I assumed you were actually in SF. I live right nearby. Let me know if you need anything before you go back home! Dublin is usually where I go to work when I need time away from the house to work on my dissertation!

I assume the company is then on this side of the bay? Let Gypsy and I know if you are moving near us and we'd be happy to help you with whatever you need.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto NF.
3.gif
Hope you''re having a great stay!

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 12:32:51 AM
Ditto NF.
3.gif
Hope you''re having a great stay!
I''d just like to agree with my fellow PSers - - and apologize for missing your post earlier.... I really hope you had a blast here in our beautiful area!

HEY!! Let''s have a GTG if/when you move out (ohhh how I would love to finally join you all for one!!) and see how we can help you settle in!
36.gif

10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results