shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice re: ktty who has issues w/peeing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, my sweet cat here. . .We've had him for (3 or 4) years now. He's a very emotionally needy cat and constantly requires attention. He is also very shy and most friends and family think we've made up a story about having a second cat (lol) because he hides under the bed whenever we have company (unlike our other cat who walks right up, expects a rub on the head and then walks off).

The problem is he pees. When we lived in the house, he was inside/outside and yet peed inside, then we moved to the condo, and again he found a spot in the garage and peed. Now, the problem has dramatically compounded. He NEVER goes in the litter box but instead around it and my husband was cleaning the cement with bleach, but now the amount of pee is so bad, we cannot get the smell out. We've tried putting carpet down and now I think I may line the area with thick contracter garbage bags to keep the pee from sinking in.

I've begun locking him outside all day - just in the backyard. He's stays back there and is safe.

My husband plans to install a cat door so possibly the cat will go outside into the back yard, even at night, if he wants, and hopefully that will resolve the problem.

DH says if the cat still goes pee after that, we'll have to get rid of him. It's gotten too bad. Recently he also peed on the couch.
14.gif

My fear is that if someone else adopts him, they also will have the cat peeing in their house and because of that, they'll also get rid of him. I'm imagining a few families trying to take him in and eventually due to his problem, he'll end up at the pound. So, an alternative would be to keep him but have him be an exclusively outdoor cat. We'd get him a pet igloo and a heating pad during the colder months.

All of my cats (when I've lived in apartments) have been indoor, and when we've lived in houses, have been indoor/outdoor. I've never had an outdoor only cat.

What do you guys think about this plan?

PSlovercat.jpg

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried different types of litter? It could be that he doesn't like the litter you use, or maybe he wants a larger litter box. He also might not like sharing the box with the other cat - how many boxes do you have?

I would worry about giving him up - he might end up with someome who would hurt him if he doesn't use the litter.

When one of my cats got old and senile, she would always miss the inside of the box. I ended up putting lots of newspapers under the box and about 5 feet around it to soak up the accidents.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has he been tested for a UTI? Or, other urine problems. Crystals can form in male and female cat's bladders, but it is more often a medical issue for male cats because the crystals can cause a blockage. Cats with UTIs frequently urinate inappropriately.

Also, try Nature's Miracle for the existing urine smell. Should take care of it. He will go back to the same spot if there is any scent left behind.

They also sell litter "attractant" for cats that need to be persuaded to use the box.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cat pees outside the litter box constantly, but it is a medical issue. I would eliminate those first.

My cat is diabetic, and thats why he does it. Also UTIs and kidney issues cause them.

And ditto about re-peeing. You must eliminate the smell or they will go back there.

This past month Ferris (avatar) has peed on the bed twice, a shoe box (???), the carpet, and he''s ruined 3 papasan chair cushions. He''s lucky we love him and he''s not going anywhere!
3.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I've been using the same litter. I'll look into other brands and see what's available. We do have two litter boxes for both cats, but neither of them like the other box (for some neurotic reason - they're cats, so no suprise re: their fussiness).

I'll get some Nature's Miracle and the cat attractant.

Yeah, and the hurting the cat issue is one of the main reasons I don't want to adopt him out. I'd rather have him live outside than be subjected to possible physical abuse.

I've been told about UTIs but he seems so emotionally driven - the shyness, he sleeps with me ALL night on top of me and even "pets" me softly on my face to wake me up. . .it just seems like it's a psychological issue. Guess I should take him in.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I second getting your kitty tested for urinary issues if you have not already. Our cat Leia used to pee in inappropriate places (sadly including the couch!). She showed no other symptoms, so we assumed it was a behavioral issue. One morning we noticed that she was passing blood in her urine, and took her to the emergency vet. She needed bladder surgery and a special diet (RX Hill''s Science Diet food, Feline M/D), but has not had any additional issues. I understand that UTIs are common in cats too.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 4:56:17 PM
Author: elledizzy5
This past month Ferris (avatar) has peed on the bed twice, a shoe box (???), the carpet, and he''s ruined 3 papasan chair cushions. He''s lucky we love him and he''s not going anywhere!
3.gif
Yeah, we love our cat so much too and this is why we''ve put up with it over and over again. . .

The bleach had seemed to get rid of the scent however, I guess he probably has a better sense of that than dh & I do and smells residual.

With cat diabetes are you giving him insulin injections?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, just found a walk-in clinic that charges $80 total for the exam and UTI testing. Hopefully he does have one so we know how to help him and fix this situation.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 5:02:30 PM
Author: MC
Date: 1/7/2010 4:56:17 PM

Author: elledizzy5

3.gif
Yeah, we love our cat so much too and this is why we''ve put up with it over and over again. . .

The bleach had seemed to get rid of the scent however, I guess he probably has a better sense of that than dh & I do and smells residual.

With cat diabetes are you giving him insulin injections?

Reading that,I realize it came out wrong... I didn''t mean to insinuate that you don''t love your cat.
2.gif

Yes he''s gets insulin twice a day 12 hours apart. He''s an expensive little bugger...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC... my cats have never (blessedly "THANK YOU GOD" I appreciate my good fortune) had peeing problems. I could change their litterboxes, the location, even the litter (though we hadn''t done that in a couple of years) itself. But just last month I got the bright idea to change them over to Worlds Best Cat Litter. OMG. They peed everywhere in protest and it was a nightmare. My sympathies for your problems first. My strong recommendation for you to go to the vet, second. And third a recommendation to throw out the box they don''t like, find them another that they do. And give a really strong Multicat litter a try (I use Fresh Step).

Fingers crossed, please keep us updated. He looks like such a love bug.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 4:49:13 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
Has he been tested for a UTI? Or, other urine problems. Crystals can form in male and female cat''s bladders, but it is more often a medical issue for male cats because the crystals can cause a blockage. Cats with UTIs frequently urinate inappropriately.

Also, try Nature''s Miracle for the existing urine smell. Should take care of it. He will go back to the same spot if there is any scent left behind.

They also sell litter ''attractant'' for cats that need to be persuaded to use the box.

Yes...UTI''s are VERY common in cats. Especially males. It will often cause them to go outside their litter box and in inappropriate places. My cat had one and the only "symptom" he really had was that he started peeing in the bathtub. It can end up being quite dangerous, so I would definitely take him to the Vet to get checked out. It''s an easy test to run and a week of antibiotics can take care of it.

Sorry you''re having this problem...Poor Kitty. Hope you guys can all start living happily together, soon!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, rule out medical issues first.

I''d recommend the Cat Attract litter. It''s about the same price as other cat litters, but it''s supposed to be specially formulated to make your cat want to use it. It also comes with a money-back guarantee and a $1 coupon for your next bag inside. It''s the only type of litter my cat will use consistently. They sell it at PetSmart.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
Have him checked for kidney stones or other urinary system problems. Any time my cats have peed outside the box, it's been crystals or an infection or at least inflammation which I think must be extra fine crystals that the vet's test doesn't find. Try switching the cat to a urinary tract diet from the vet.

You could crate him in a dog crate or buy one of those big cat cages that are like ferret cages. Kennel-Aire Playpen for Cats and Small Pets http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753757
anf put the cat and the litter box together in there. Put a rug on the floor or some of those carpet sample pieces that you can get at Family Dollar, etc.

Sometimes cooping the cat up in a small space will encourage using the litter box, if it's a behavioral problem, b/c it's either use the box or sit in its own pee. You can keep the cat crated except when you are there to watch him.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely take him in for a thorough examination so you can rule out medical issues.

I can''t comment on the outdoor cat idea, as I''ve never had any outdoor cats and I don''t plan on ever having any.

My little Bootsie started to pee in laundry baskets when she was about 15. It turned out that she had hyperthyroidism, and needed some serious medical attention. DH''s littlest guy Geddy was having issues in the litter box, and it turned out that he needed emergency surgery. (Hence the e-collar he''s wearing in my avatar picture.) I would have that cat at the vet ASAP.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I just had to say he looks absolutely identical to the kitty I grew up with, Xander. Pretty pretty kitty!

I have no helpful thoughts for you but totally sympathize with the peeing problems. My older girlkitty took a week or so to "find" the litter box after we moved it, and there were many lakes-o-pee to sop up. (And every now and again she decides "approximating" the litterbox is OK, often I think it''s that she has no idea how big her butt is and it ends up hanging out the box and she''s oblivious.) I can''t imagine dealing with that CONSTANTLY. Good luck!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty cat!!

Thritto to the UTI. When my parents'' boy had one they didn''t give him any medication, but we had to make sure he was drinking enough water and eating extra wet food. Forcibly feeding a 16lb cat with a syringe really isn''t fun
40.gif

Poor guy. I hope things get easier for him!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Have you taken him to a vet? I have zero cat experience, but I have bunny experience and often when they totally lose their litter habits it''s because they have a UTI. I''m not sure if cats also pee outside the box with a UTI, but it''s something to look into.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I had a male cat that did this. Only he peed in a dirty laundry in the basket and a kitchen floor rug. Ugh. Sadly, we don''t have him anymore, but our vet suggested this plug-in called "Feliway." It''s supposed to be calming for cats. Go to Amazon.com (link here) and read reviews. I think it actually does help my cat''s mood. I believe it did stop the other one from peeing inappropriately (after we bought a different kitchen rug also). It might be worth a shot.

feliwaypicforps.jpg

chelsea3

Rough_Rock
I''m so sorry you are going through this. My male cat, now 12, started peeing on bedding all over the house when he was a kitten. I took him to the doctor numerous times over the years and the doctor ruled out UTI infections. The doctor said it was behavioral. The doctor finally put my cat on the prescription anti-depressant drug Prozac (yup, really!). I mix the liquid Prozac into a litte soft Fancy Feast cat food every night and the cat LOVES it. It has been a miracle!
face23.gif
I also use the clumping litter and try to keep the litter box really clean. If your cat does not have a UTI and the issue is behavioral, you may want to ask your vet about it. Good luck!

I''m really sorry if I missed this, but is he neutered?

My cat (that is in my avy) used to pee all the time. All over the carpet, my clothing, bras, towels, bags, hats, scarves, NOTHING WAS SAFE. I was always cleaning and throwing away things, and always mad, but no way in heck would I get rid of him.. when he was 2 he was neutered and immediately never peed on anything again. I seriously can''t believe that''s what did it. (At the time, I was young and dumb, he was an indoor kitty and while I knew he should be fixed, I couldn''t afford it at the time... I feel so ashamed I let him go that long without being fixed).

I honestly don''t think that cats just pee outside the box to be mean :) I am thinking there is something bothering him..

-infected toe nail? (painful to use that kind of litter)
-UTI?
-doesn''t like the brand, or smell of the current litter?
-maybe he''s picky and wants it cleaned every single day? twice a day?
-he''s a far relative of my kitty and needs to be neutered if he''s not?
3.gif

-this one is a long shot, but if you have other cats, and he''s using the box and they sneak up on him it could make him paranoid (one of our cats started doing that when someone else was in the litter box... urrrg)

hmm what else...

Whatever the problem, don''t give up hope!! It makes me happy to hear that you still want to keep the boogar and have put up with him for this long. Trust me, I know the struggles with a peeing cat. It SUCKS. But some how.. they are worth it, ya know??

I''m mumbling... I dunno where this is going now.

Please update us when you can
21.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 7:43:22 PM
Author: Haven
I can''t comment on the outdoor cat idea, as I''ve never had any outdoor cats and I don''t plan on ever having any.
Yeah, I''ve never had an exclusively outdoor cat and prefer not to have my cat become one. Since we have a big back yard, I feel comfortable having the cats out there during the day (since I''m home all day and can let them in and out ALL day long. . .that is a PT job.). One huge problem is we have raccoons who come out at night and they''re a danger to our cats. Ugh. I cannot imagine any other person putting up with his peeing if they were to adopt him especially if they do not form an emotional attachment like we have, so we''re stuck here, you know?

I''m going to take him to the walk-in on Tuesday. His box is cleaned once a day. . .he does share it with the other cat though. . .that is why we bought a second box, however both cats refuse to use that one, so we''re kind of stuck. The other cat we have is a major brat - even though she''s nice (mostly) to us, she attacks him! Maybe he has issues with sharing a box with her. She''s really old (almost 17) and super grumpy.

I can see the cause being so many things. Oh, and yes, he''s difinetly neutered! All of my cats have been fixed right after adopting. It''s bad enough that we have pregnant guppies
3.gif

Swedish - just a quick note - for clothes, I''ve found Oxyclean gets the potty scent out. The cat peed on my son''s coat a few times and with hot water & oxyclean, the smell came out (thank goodness). It just doesn''t work too well in the garage or on carpet because it soaks into the padding.

I''ll let you guys all know what the vet says since this is a problem many of us have encountered.
7.gif
If nothing else works, I''ll stick him on prozac (lol). My husband will freak at that idea so I may end up having to stick the cat on it, wait till it begins working, THEN tell DH why he''s quit peeing. lol

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
Please update us and let us know how it''s going.

My male cat had a blockage issue that was the result of struvite crystals. He''s on a special diet (it''s not that special. He gets to eat canned food non-stop every day for the rest of his life the spoiled beast) and has been doing really well.

Nature''s Miracle spray is fantastic for getting the pee out (and any other cat-related fluids. Gotta love hairballs/vomit/etc.) It also works great on clothes in the wash.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results