shape
carat
color
clarity

Mysterious Sore Throat

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever gotten a sore throat from not eating enough, or am I insane?

I've cut down my calorie intake, since I'm 40 pounds overweight, and I think it is giving me a sore throat.
Here's why.

All my life I have noticed that if I don't eat dinner the next morning when I do eat my throat is very sore.
A few hours later I'm fine.

The last 10 days I have cut my calorie intake way down.
A sore throat started about 6 days ago and won't go away.
My doc prescribed a 5-day course of the antibiotic Azithromycin 250 mg based on a phone consultation, no exam.
I'm on day 4 and feel no relief.

It only feels better when I'm actually eating, unless I try to eat something with acid like pineapple or citrus, which stings.
Even when not eating or drinking it is very painful to swallow.
It is worse when I lay down to sleep.
Last night I could not sleep through the night because of the pain.
I do not have a cold or flu or a temp.
The lymph node on the right side of my neck is tender and slightly swollen.

Have any of you ever had a sore throat related to not eating enough, or heard of this relationship?
Do antibiotics take longer to work?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have allergies or sinus problems? My sinuses drain all the time and I have a constant sore throat from it. I keep water by me all the time and a drink is enough to soothe it although it never goes away.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2010 12:28:01 PM
Author: marcyc
Do you have allergies or sinus problems? My sinuses drain all the time and I have a constant sore throat from it. I keep water by me all the time and a drink is enough to soothe it although it never goes away.

No allergies or sinus problems.

Maybe I need to increase my water intake since I'm eating less.

Honestly, my throat also feels similar if I don''t drink enough water... I hope it ends up being a simple fix!

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
I just read the info sheet for the Azithromycin to see if you were not to use milk or dairy etc.

It says to take (tablets) with a full glass of water. (can you drink 8 oz of water? Many can't and only take a few sips. If you don't it doesn't get dissolved and can't work.) And you are to take it the exact time each day. If liquid form to shake it well. Does your prescription label provide all of those details?

If you aren't experiencing relief yet-day 4 in a 5 day course, it seems that something is blocking it's effectiveness. So I was hopeful to find something that would trigger you remembering you ate or did that was the cause. But there wasn't that much to read. It reminds you not to take certain antacids...2 hours before...have you? Then I read the side effects. Seems odd that the side effects mirror or resemble the problem you were requesting relief. It does say you may experience swelling but not in the nodes.

When you limit or change your caloric intake you may think eating anything with lower calories is ok and is going to get you results. But it isn't. All broccoli is going to lower your calories, but your body is going to say whoa I am missing the protein, aminos, and the balance. So may I presume you are eating healthy alternatives to your normal choices? Your immune system can take a hit if it isn't being fed a proper balanced nutritious diet. Which is doable at lower calories. I know you are dedicated to loosing, but you must remain MORE dedicated to eating proper FULL nutrition to maintain your immune health.

What are your new dietary choices? Have you changed or replaced say a sugary soda with a sweetener sweetened one? Are you drinking a strong tea that may have more acids? Have you added citrus to a water to make it more palatable? I wonder if first your sore throat was because you stopped a habit of continual liquids...and now with the stress and not able to sleep you have worn your immune system down? And that is the cause of you being venerable to an infection, that your swollen gland is telling you you have.

You need TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. Please make an appointment.

Gargle with warm salt water every hour and see if you can relieve your sore throat. But that swollen gland, needs attention.

take care of our Kenny

35.gif

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/15/2010 12:31:28 PM
Author: kenny

Maybe I need to increase my water intake since I''m eating less.

YES YES YES! to more water intake! Water is your bestest friend. It will help make you feel full and help flush bad stuff out so the good stuff has room to stay. You could be dehydrating and your mucus surfaces are too dry=dry throat.

The studies say most people over eat because they often mis-read hunger for thirst! So even if you weren''t diminishing your calories, increasing water intake will help your weight loss along. A great diet tool is to reach for water even when you are hungry. And do so also, before you eat. Water will help you eat less.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny's answer to Casablanca are in bold.

It says to take (tablets) with a full glass of water. (can you drink 8 oz of water? Many can't and only take a few sips. If you don't it doesn't get dissolved and can't work.) And you are to take it the exact time each day. If liquid form to shake it well. Does your prescription label provide all of those details?

Yes I drink a full glass of water with pill, same time every day within an hour.

If you aren't experiencing relief yet-day 4 in a 5 day course, it seems that something is blocking it's effectiveness. So I was hopeful to find something that would trigger you remembering you ate or did that was the cause. But there wasn't that much to read. It reminds you not to take certain antacids...2 hours before...have you? Then I read the side effects. Seems odd that the side effects mirror or resemble the problem you were requesting relief. It does say you may experience swelling but not in the nodes.

No antacids
What I have must not be side effects because it is just the continuation same thing that the doc prescribed the Azitro for.

When you limit or change your caloric intake you may think eating anything with lower calories is ok and is going to get you results. But it isn't. All broccoli is going to lower your calories, but your body is going to say whoa I am missing the protein, aminos, and the balance. So may I presume you are eating healthy alternatives to your normal choices? Your immune system can take a hit if it isn't being feed a balanced nutritious diet. I know you are dedicated to loosing, but you must remain dedicated to eating proper FULL nutrition to maintain your immune health.

What are your new dietary choices? Have you changed or replaced say a sugary soda with a sweetener sweetened one? Are you drinking a strong tea that may have more acids? Have you added citrus to a water to make it more palatable? I wonder if first your sore throat was because you stopped a habit of continual liquids...and now with the stress and not able to sleep you have worn your immune system down? And that is the cause of you being venerable to an infection, that your swollen gland is telling you you have.

I have stopped ALL bread, pasta, candy, ice cream, butter, potatoes.
I have added larger quantities of fresh fruit veges and tofu.
Much less meat and poultry.
As before I continue with brown rice, a good organic granola for breakfast with non-fat milk.
Occasional snack on a very small quantity of tortilla chips.

Frankly my appetite has shrunk, which is odd, so I am eating a lower quantity of food.
You'd think I'd be hungry, but I'm not.
I never had the bad habit of drinking liquids like soda or diet crap with mysterious ingredients, just milk, water and fruit juices, oh and 1 or 2 glasses of red wine. (4 glasses to a standard 750 ml bottle)
No change there.

You need TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. Please make an appointment.
I'll call him Monday, or just show up.

Gargle with warm salt water every hour and see if you can relieve your sore throat. But that swollen gland, needs attention.

Yes my doc said to gargle with SW but I've only been doing it 2 or 3 times a day, I will increase it.

Thanks so much for the suggestions.
Are you a doc?
We have a few here I think.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2010 1:23:50 PM
You could be dehydrating and your mucus surfaces are too dry=dry throat.

Actually I suspect this is exactly what''s happening.
That''s why it only feels good when I''m eating; the tissue is coated with something.

ARe there foods that would restore mucus surfaces?
Cheese?
I buy non-fat cottage cheese regularly.
Should I up my intake of that?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Kenny,

There is a virus going around southern cal and it starts with a wicked sore throat. I came down with it a few weeks ago and had the same symptoms. It was like swallowing razor blades and only felt good if drinking or eating something unless it was with chili peppers or acid. No other symptoms..no fever, chills, snot, etc...

I went to the ENT and it took one look at my throat and gave me his sympathies, along with Vicodin and Augmentin. The culture came back negative for bacteria so I was able to stop the Augmentin, thank goodness. I still have a raw throat, as evidenced this morning.

I continue to use Cepacol spray and lozenges. I am also on a caloric restriction intake, but I am staying extremely hydrated and it still hit me.

I recommend you stop taking antibiotics unless you know that you have a bacterial infection, otherwise you are potentially causing more harm than good if you build up immunities in your body for when you DO need an antibiotic.

Good Luck. It lingers for weeks, but the pain does begin to subside after a week or so. I was at an 8 or 9 out of 10 the Sunday before I was able to see a Doc. So I feel your pain. I awoke in the night and was desperately seeking through old purses for a throat lozenge. I found one. It was heaven. Cepacol is my best friend at night right now.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MR.
Swallowing razor blades is an apt analogy for the pain, perhaps rusty razor blades.
I'll get some cepacol.

Tomorrow is my last day of antibiotic and doctor is not in today on Sat so I'm going to complete the course.
I don't take them often.
It's been many years, probably over 5, since I last took them, I can't even remember the last time.

Yes the doc did say there is something going around So. Cal. now and it sounds like I got it.
8.gif

Strange, if it is a virus antibiotics do not work on viruses. Hmmm.

IdLikeToBuyAVal

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought that maybe this is some sort of acid reflux? The pineapple/citrus sensitivity made me wonder that. A lot of people are sensitive to these highly acidic juices...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll keep acid reflux in mind but the pain from eating pineapple and citrus occurs while the fruit is in my mouth and in contact with the throat tissue, not later after it has been swallowed.

I have eaten these fruits all my life with no pain.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2010 3:19:22 PM
I''ll keep acid reflux in mind but the pain from eating pineapple and citrus occurs while the fruit is in my mouth and in contact with the throat tissue, not later after it has been swallowed.

I have eaten these fruits all my life with no pain.
This sounds almost like an anaphylactic response Kenny. This type of allergy can occur over a lifetime, or the first time you encounter a food. I''ve developed a similar response, although it affects my tongue first and makes that swell up. Usually it''s fruit acid for me, although sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn''t.

I hope you''re going to check in with your doctor. Keep drinking fluids. Take care.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finally reached a doc.
(Not mine - apparently they assign weekend duty to another doc.)
He says finish Azithromycin today and tomorrow, and see him Monday.

If I develop a fever, cough or can't eat or drink go to ER or an Urgent Care clinic.
This is not an emergency.
Thanks guys.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Glad to see the update Kenny - good luck getting rid of your sore throat - and congrats for staying on your new eating plan :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad it''s not an emergency. Get better.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if this is what I had. A couple of weeks ago I got a allergy shot. They upped my level of antigen and the next day my throat was scratchy and the next morning I woke up with a sore throat. I
started with zinc and vitamin c lozenges every two hours for about three days. It went away but I still have a cough. I thought it was due to allergies. Gosh, I hate these viruses! I hope you feel better soon
Kenny!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
When I had mono, I had a constant sore throat. The only thing that helped was a massive amount of vitamin C 2-3 times a day. Since your throat doesn''t like citrus, you might try the chewable forms or something like airborne that gets you plenty without exposing your throat. It may not work for you, but it is worth a try. It is amazing how painful mouth/throat stuff can be.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2010 2:08:05 PM
Thanks MR.
Swallowing razor blades is an apt analogy for the pain, perhaps rusty razor blades.
I''ll get some cepacol.

Tomorrow is my last day of antibiotic and doctor is not in today on Sat so I''m going to complete the course.
I don''t take them often.
It''s been many years, probably over 5, since I last took them, I can''t even remember the last time.

Yes the doc did say there is something going around So. Cal. now and it sounds like I got it.
8.gif

Strange, if it is a virus antibiotics do not work on viruses. Hmmm.
Don''t get me started on this. Makes me so mad I could spit. He prescribed an antibiotic over the phone with no exam. And we''re all going to pay for that kind of irresponsible, lazy prescribing of antibiotics. We''re already reaching the end and are seeing the beginning of bugs that can''t be killed with ANYTHING. Grr!!!

That was an aside. It sounds very much like acid reflux to me. Especially after a change in eating habits, and that worse on lying down bit. I hope that is all it is, although that is quite unpleasant enough. At least that is quite treatable. Honestly, it wouldn''t hurt - before you go back to the dr., try a maximum strength Pepcid before bed and see if you feel any better. I''m not saying don''t go to the doctor, DO, but trying that can''t hurt and might give you a bit of relief so you can make it through the night. And if it doesn''t do squat, at least you can tell your doc you tried it.

IdLikeToBuyAVal

Shiny_Rock
If I eat too MUCH fresh pineapple I''ll get the sore, slightly puffy feeling tongue but that''s usually after I''ve completely pigged out on the stuff!! I do hope you find out what''s bothering you. Maybe you could try sipping some tea with honey in the mornings if you wake up with the sore throat?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have any advice for you, but just wanted to give you a virtual hug and hope you get rid of the sore throat soon.

Ditto the advice on sipping a warm drink of honey and lemon. It''s very soothing and it''ll give you the extra Vit C.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
Kenny,

Just wanted to tell you I will be thinking of you and your doctor visit tomorrow. We can''t post support on Monday so I ordered an extra load of dust (the non throat irritating kind-it was hard to find!) anyway it is going to arrive during the PS down time. Sweeping and dusting should keep you occupied until the forum comes back as the improved 2.0.

Sort of like you after you doctor visit. Heeerrreeesss Kenny, the new improved Version 2.0!

Woo Hoo! All the best to you!
35.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like acid reflux. The swollen gland doesn''t fit that so much though. Do you have a fever?

Sore throat in the morning is so much like reflux related. Antibiotic will not help this, can hurt, especially when you have lots of fruits/veggies which need good gut bacteria to digest.

Agree w/ ksinger about over the phone px of antibiotics. very bad policy! Wall Street Journal has a big article today on the deaths of many children hospitalized with staph infections that are totally resistant to antibiotics. This is how it happens.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Kenny
I''m thinking your throat is getting dry from a the lack of mucous, and not drinking enough. Also if you are eating a lot of fruits, they are higher in acids and you aren''t taking in much grain and that absorbs some of it. I would try a little more cheese. I eat Laughing Cow Light Swiss wedges in eggs. Cheese triggers the mucous membranes into more activity so it might help!

Also watch your salt intake with the veggies.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, I''m feeling better.
I''ll munch on some cheese now.

I do not add salt to veges or much of anything, well a little in popcorn.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
glad you are feeling better! Do you keep a fan on at night at all?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2010 5:48:31 PM
Author: dragonfly411
glad you are feeling better! Do you keep a fan on at night at all?

Yes and no.

No fan blowing in the room, but I do have sleep apnea and sleep with a CPAP.
They have a fan, tube and mask that basically inflates your air passages while you sleep.
But it moisturizes the air with heated humidified water and I keep the system super clean to prevent respiratory infections.

If the water were to run out that would give me a sore throat, but that's not happening.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results