shape
carat
color
clarity

MIGRAINE sufferers

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I've been getting migraines for over 20 yrs and am my wits end. I've tried every type of med, ect and nothing helps except for Fioricet but it's just a temp solution. All other meds either didn't work or I got a bad reactions (triptans).

Anyone try BOTOX for migraines? Did it help?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
What else have you tried? Have you tried Topomax? Or an SSRI like Prozac?

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have pretty bad migraines as of late, my Dr. just upped me from 25mg of imitrex to 50mg and it seems to do the trick. Only downfall is that it knocks me out for about 3 hrs. LOL.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried Neurontin, brand name for Gabapentin? When my migraines were at their worst I was treated with Neurontin. I mostly felt no pain during those years, but I would still get aura and all that jazz. I don't use it any more since I am prone to side effects.
If your migraines ocurr often and are pretty bad I would speak to your doctor about it. It's not originally for migrains but for epilepsy and later for neuropathic pain but is now being used for migrains too.
I am currently on Naramig (naratriptans) which work much better for me, other triptans gave me too much side effects.
What type of migrain do you have?
If you have questions or want to talk, I'm only 22 but have been dealing with this since I was seven.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to say have you tried (after talking to your doctor) some combos? I only do the one where you take ibuprofen, caffeine and naramig.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
My new doctor recommended excedrin with lots of water for mine. Not sure if that will be helpful but just throwing it out. I'm sorry you're having migraines they suck.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Excedrin and other pain killers can make migraines worse if you're taking them to manage pain a lot. It's a slippery slope. Especially with the caffeine, you can get dependent on them very quickly and end up getting migraines because you didn't take your daily excedrin. It definitely works, but I've been in a fight for years of taking it every day and then trying to wean back off again.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
That I do not like.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Elrohwen|1289335321|2759393 said:
Excedrin and other pain killers can make migraines worse if you're taking them to manage pain a lot. It's a slippery slope. Especially with the caffeine, you can get dependent on them very quickly and end up getting migraines because you didn't take your daily excedrin. It definitely works, but I've been in a fight for years of taking it every day and then trying to wean back off again.

I second this. I had episodic migraines that became chronic with aura during and after the loss of my first child last October. I tried Fiorcet, Imitrex, Topamax, even Flexeril, none of which I could tolerate. My neurologist told me I was having a lot of rebounds from all of the ibuprofen I took instead. She gave me a lose dose painkiller and an anti-nausea for when things get really bad, but if I take those a few days in a row and stop, bam, headache again (probably from the medicine).

I was heck-bent on finding a solution, though, as I had terrible migraines that became unbearable during my second pregnancy. Then the mind game-do I take medicine or not with the baby? Unfortunately, I lost my second child at 26 weeks (same time as first loss) after a terrible migraine (same as first loss), where I didn't take the medication. I don't know if there is a correlation, but it obviously gave me a kick in the butt to start looking at mineral supplements in addition to medicines.

I was put on Metanx due to MTHFR issues, which is a B6-B12-folic acid combo. I also started taking 400mg of Magnesium 2x a day. I can't differentiate which is more helpful, but my migraines have SIGNIFICANTLY improved. I still get them, albeit much less frequently. I'm not a doctor, but I believe it is one of these two things (if not both) that helped. I'm even eating things (like chocolate) that I couldn't even go near for months.

Off topic, but if scents are a trigger for you, have you given up all of your scented products and perfumes? I only say this because dense me didn't realize my perfumes were making me sick at first. I only wore them when I went out and I figured my headache was from staying out too late. Uh, no. I tearfully handed over my last two bottles of Chanel perfume to my mother a few months ago, as I don't think there will be any turing back.

Sorry for writing a book, but this is something I struggle with, too! I'm not happy to hear that there are others suffering, but I guess it's nice to know I'm not alone and to be able to talk about it. :wink2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly recommend trying Topomax if you are past trying to have children.

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe it's a silly question,but did you/ your doctor investigate the nature of your migraines?
I did have bad migraines for years and pain killers (recommended by my doctor) didn't work , then 2 years ago I went to an otorhinolaryngologist who told me I suffer from rhinitis: he prescribed me a nasal spray and it worked... it still works, no more migraines.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
It is a slippery slope indeed. Too much ibupufren and you get more migraines and possibly gastritis. Regarding caffeine, I am dependant, if I do not get it I will get migrains but the uppside of caffeine for me has been worth it. There are studies showing that the ingestion of caffeine at the right time can stop som attacks. Personally I usually know quite early if I am going to get one and some times getting caffeine, ibuprufren and sugar quickly while at the same time taking a time out from all my triggers makes the attack go away before it gets properly started.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I'm also a migraine sufferer who has tried just about every prescription med listed on here. I didn't tolerate some, and others I was weary of for various reasons. I'm to the point now where I just take 600 mg of ibuprofin if I feel one starting. I have not tried Botox, but I'd be interested to hear about your experience if you try it!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Elrohwen|1289318539|2759144 said:
What else have you tried? Have you tried Topomax? Or an SSRI like Prozac?

yes tried topomax...had reactions to this. I've tried everything that has been out before 2008..if something new came out since then, I haven't tried it.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1289334616|2759383 said:
My new doctor recommended excedrin with lots of water for mine. Not sure if that will be helpful but just throwing it out. I'm sorry you're having migraines they suck.

this is what I take now...for the last few yrs because I was so tired of the constant wheel of meds they had me on. It works and helps but not perfect

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Off topic, but if scents are a trigger for you, have you given up all of your scented products and perfumes? I only say this because dense me didn't realize my perfumes were making me sick at first. I only wore them when I went out and I figured my headache was from staying out too late. Uh, no. I tearfully handed over my last two bottles of Chanel perfume to my mother a few months ago, as I don't think there will be any turing back.

Scents, certain foods, hormonal change, the weather all kick of my migraines..it sucks

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a rare neurological disorder and Botox is something that is recommended. I am not there yet... ::) I am hoping to hold off for as long as possible. It's that or brain surgery... No thanks. :errrr:

Once I get the injections, I will let you know if they help my migraines. I like you have tried everything..

I feel your pain, many in my family suffer as well... Sucks.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1289350660|2759612 said:
I have a rare neurological disorder and Botox is something that is recommended. I am not there yet... ::) I am hoping to hold off for as long as possible. It's that or brain surgery... No thanks. :errrr:

Once I get the injections, I will let you know if they help my migraines. I like you have tried everything..

yes it does suck... ;(

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
atroop711|1289350962|2759614 said:

yes it does suck... ;(

I'd gladly trade places with you atroop. ;))

Walk a mile in my shoes.....

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1289351994|2759623 said:

yes it does suck... ;(

awww thx...I don't wish this on anyone.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
atroop711|1289355276|2759667 said:

yes it does suck... ;(

I meant that tongue in cheek?? Like I have migraines, but now have a serious neurological disorder... I was reaching out saying I may do Botox for this disorder and would let you know how it goes, as I too have migraines... But you missed so much of my post to you....
where I said brain surgery?? Not asking you to be empathetic... BUT did you read what I wrote?? :confused:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
migraine sufferer here. Tried every drug in the book, including imitrex, relpax, topomax...all of the scrips. I HATE taking drugs and none of them have worked for me anyway. Btw, I have migraines with aura...i'd rather just listen to everyone else's responses in hopes that I can gain something from this.

(Monnie says: this is not my doing.)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hey Atroop.

Yes and yes.

That is, yes I suffer from migraines and yes, I have been having Botox for almost two years for it. I've posted about it before. If you do a search for "migraine" here, you will find my experiences.

Forgive me if I don't go into it again right now, life threw me a nasty curve ball on Monday and I'm still spinning. AND I have a headache, although thankfully not as bad as it might be because of my treatments.

I'll check back in a day or so to see if you have any questions.

Good luck honey, migraine is horrible.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the Botox!
I just wanted to add a word of caution. DO NOT take Ibuprofen for years in large amounts. Some of you may not know it, but NSAIDS in large amounts are pretty toxic for kidneys.
Also, someone here already asked if all necessary studies have been done. I presume you have a good neurologist. My neview and grandneview suffer from a relatively benign, but rare condition causing severe migraines. It was seen on MRI's, but it took several for the doctors to diagnose it.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh|1289358460|2759699 said:
atroop711|1289355276|2759667 said:

yes it does suck... ;(

I meant that tongue in cheek?? Like I have migraines, but now have a serious neurological disorder... I was reaching out saying I may do Botox for this disorder and would let you know how it goes, as I too have migraines... But you missed so much of my post to you....
where I said brain surgery?? Not asking you to be empathetic... BUT did you read what I wrote?? :confused:

sorry Kaleigh but I had a typo...I meant to write that I don't wish THAT on anyone...not THIS. I was talking about your situation with choosing meds or surgery. I was typing with a very bad headache..so didn't proof read.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
crasru|1289672931|2764548 said:
I just wanted to add a word of caution. DO NOT take Ibuprofen for years in large amounts. Some of you may not know it, but NSAIDS in large amounts are pretty toxic for kidneys.
Also, someone here already asked if all necessary studies have been done. I presume you have a good neurologist. My neview and grandneview suffer from a relatively benign, but rare condition causing severe migraines. It was seen on MRI's, but it took several for the doctors to diagnose it.

Thanks so much for your post. I'm allergic to Ibuprofen so that's something I can't use. I'm in the search for a new neurologist. Most Drs I've seen just give me meds. I want someone to really investigate.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to add a word of caution. DO NOT take Ibuprofen for years in large amounts. Some of you may not know it, but NSAIDS in large amounts are pretty toxic for kidneys. Also, someone here already asked if all necessary studies have been done. I presume you have a good neurologist. My neview and grandneview suffer from a relatively benign, but rare condition causing severe migraines. It was seen on MRI's, but it took several for the doctors to diagnose it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Atroop, hope you're feeling better these days! Have you tried the vitamins? (magnesium and B2?-riboflavin were recommended to me)

Kaleigh, sending my thoughts your way. This must be a very scary time for you and I wish you the best.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Siamese Kitty|1289705316|2765249 said:
I just wanted to add a word of caution. DO NOT take Ibuprofen for years in large amounts. Some of you may not know it, but NSAIDS in large amounts are pretty toxic for kidneys. Also, someone here already asked if all necessary studies have been done. I presume you have a good neurologist. My neview and grandneview suffer from a relatively benign, but rare condition causing severe migraines. It was seen on MRI's, but it took several for the doctors to diagnose it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Atroop, hope you're feeling better these days! Have you tried the vitamins? (magnesium and B2?-riboflavin were recommended to me)

Kaleigh, sending my thoughts your way. This must be a very scary time for you and I wish you the best.

Siamese Kitty...no I haven't tried the vitamins. I will DEF. look into them!! Thx so much

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
i get frequent migraines. I take the Zomig nasal spray and it works quickly and effectively, in most cases. It was been recommended that I try Botox, but my insurance company won't cover it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results