shape
carat
color
clarity

Memorial jewelry ideas for mom...

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Hi there. Last week my dad died in a tragic accident and we are still in a state of shock. My dad was a wonderful husband to my mother and a loving grandfather to my two boys. Above all, he was a fun guy and literally lit up the room with his ability to tell a funny story and get everyone laughing. My poor mom has had to go thru so much. I am trying to think of something that I can get made for her that would be a constant reminder of the love she shared with my father. All I can think of is engraving something. She is not a flashy woman and would not want a piece with ornate diamonds or anything like that. She wore a simple yellow gold wedding band her whole life. I'm thinking some sort of a necklace. Anyways, any ideas would be appreciated.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry for your loss.

I've seen pendants made of a spouse's wedding band; would she maybe like to wear his wedding band?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lizzyann, I have no ideas to share at this moment, but I want to say, you are in my thoughts. I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. I feel your pain and your mom's. Please just take some time to be together and love each other. I am so sorry, LizzyAnn.

(((((HUG)))))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have ideas but I am deeply sorry for the loss of your father.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry lizzyann - what a terrible loss for you both.

How about a piece of jewelry that includes your father's birthstone? Maybe a simple ring or pendant?

You didn't mention whether you are an only child. If so, whatever you come up with, consider getting an identical tribute piece for yourself.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your kind words. This past week has just been a nightmare for us. My boys keep me busy and give me hope that we will get through this together. It makes me so sad that my dad didn't have more time with them. But I will always remind them how much their Grandpa loved them.

My dad had lost his wedding band many years ago so wearing it around her neck isn't an option unfortunately.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1349383142|3279493 said:
I'm so sorry lizzyann - what a terrible loss for you both.

How about a piece of jewelry that includes your father's birthstone? Maybe a simple ring or pendant?

You didn't mention whether you are an only child. If so, whatever you come up with, consider getting an identical tribute piece for yourself.

VR, thank you. I like the idea of maybe using a birthstone. It would be garnet I think for January? Unfortunately, I am now an only child. We lost my brother in 2008 to another sudden circumstance, so as you can see my mom has just had to endure so much. My kids give her so much joy though so we are over at her house as much as possible to keep her going and looking forward. Thanks for posting.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh lizzyann, I am so very sorry - what a sudden and tragic loss, my heart goes out to you and my thoughts are with you.

I don't really have any suggestions right now...a pendant incorporating their birthstones sounds like a nice idea.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about something interwoven - a pendant with strands in a heart shape, or a ring - of the birthstones for her, your dad and your brother? Or with just your dad and your brother woven - the two that have been lost to tragedy, so she could always wear them symbolically and keep them close to her heart?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recommendations ladies. Enerchi, I like that idea. I'm actually on Etsy right now trying to get some ideas. I'm also wondering now if a RHR might be better so she could always look down and see it versus a pendant which she won't be able to see. Maybe a band engraved with their two birthstones as surprise stones or something. Not even sure what vendor I should look into for something like that. Suggestions?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for you loss, I lost my Dad a little over 2 years ago and it was unexpected. No advice about the memorial jewelry for your Mom.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I'm so very sorry about your Dad.

I have a few pieces of jewelry from Lisa Leonard, and have given some; almost all of her designs can be personalized. They are casual pieces, not fancy. Perhaps something like that would be appropriate. Go to http://www.lisaleonardonline.com/

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann|1349385429|3279527 said:
Thanks for the recommendations ladies. Enerchi, I like that idea. I'm actually on Etsy right now trying to get some ideas. I'm also wondering now if a RHR might be better so she could always look down and see it versus a pendant which she won't be able to see. Maybe a band engraved with their two birthstones as surprise stones or something. Not even sure what vendor I should look into for something like that. Suggestions?

I have only worked with DanielM from etsy, and that was a wonderful experience. My recommendation would be to get to their page, let them know about the sentimental and emotional side of why you are interested in a certain style of piece and then see where it goes. I wouldn't rush something so important and I would go with a well known/respected PS vendor. I would have no hesitation telling Caren or Daniel what stones you'd like (January and ????for your brother) and letting them source them for you. Something soft and flowing would be a symbolic thing for me- the ebb and flow of life, the journey we all go thru, time is eternal... I do like the interwoven braid or twist idea for that reason. See what they have to say!

I'm really so sad for BOTH the losses that you and your mom have gone thru. I'm wishing you both a peaceful time of grieving.

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my brother last year and I cant imagine what it would be like losing my father right now too. Your family will be in my thoughts and again I'm so sorry. *sending hugs*

As for jewelry the first setting on this page http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/semimounts (vintage twin stone mounting) set with you father and brothers birthstones would be beautiful.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My god, what a tragedy - LizzyAnn, you have my deepest sympathies. I think your idea is kind and thoughtful, and should be comforting.

This will probably sound doofy, but I've always been a fan of, well ... comfort-objects? Stuff that is present enough that it reminds you that it's there? So I'd maybe suggest something like a plain, but very solid gold chain with a pendant to lie close to her heart, or a big, comfort-fit platinum band with their birthstones as surprise stones - since you mention she's not a bling-y lady. Alternately, do you think she'd like something like a Tibetan prayer wheel/worry ring? The theory behind them is that with each turn, energy moves up to Heaven (or its equivalent in your theology). Maybe something like that set with their birthstones? And it's a "ring" for each of them, the outer embracing the inner, which is kind of a nice symbolism for a father and child ....

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my little brother last year, and bought a Trinity ring that I wear every day. It symbolizes me, my Dad and my brother. Cartier engraved it for me as well. I know you mentioned necklace but I thought I'd chime in, as I love looking at it when I'm missing him. Also it's just a lovely simple piece.

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry cant edit on phone but also I wear it on a chain on my neck if I wear a different RHR, and I think it looks nice that way also.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to say how very, very sorry I am to hear this about your Dad. I feel your pain. Today would have been my Dad's 80th birthday and to hear that you lost yours so suddenly as well, just breaks my heart. I will have you and yours in my thoughts.

I wanted to suggest a locket. It could be engraved with names, dates or even a favourite saying of your Dad's. Plus the locket could contain a picture of your Dad as well as perhaps one of your parents together.

Lissy Ann, whatever you decide, take your time, with everything. It is a slow process. You have all of us here to help you through.
I know I could not have done it without the love and support I received here. There is always someone online throughout the wee small hours to hold your hand.

I am thinking of you.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, lizzyann, I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was an amazing husband, dad, and grandpa. :blackeye: I hope your older son will at least be able remember fun times with his grandpa. Hugs and condolences to your entire family.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lizzy I am so sorry, that is just terrible.

I really love the idea of a trinity ring for her to wear on her right hand, it could reflect her husband and two children. Either a cartier original or there are lovely versions out there as well.

I also really like the idea of a heavy comfort fit gold band to wear on her right hand, engraved with something meaningful.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Lizzy,

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I don't have any ideas right now but I'll definitely try to think of something.

You and your family are in my thoughts.... :halo:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness lizzy, I am so sorry about your beloved dad. I'll try to think of something. He sounds like such an amazing man.

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, lizzy, I am so, so sorry for your loss.

I love the idea of a RHR simple band with engraving/surprise stones. It seems like it would fit her style, and it's sentimental without being over the top or showy.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
So sorry for your loss.My best friend lost her brother three years ago and her father passed one year later. It was hard watching her and her mom go through so much. They spend a lot of time together and it has helped them both heal. Bringing your kids to see your mom as much as possible will certainly help. Sending healing thoughts your way.
I think the idea of incorporating both birthstones into a piece is a great idea. Maybe a thin half eternity with the stones alternating? Or two thin stacking bands with one of each birthstone. If you had them made in the birthstone only it would keep down the cost. Something similar to this: http://idjewelryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_137&products_id=10886

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh I am so sorry! What an awful time this must be for you.

Are you familiar with "mizpah" jewelry? I learned about it on Pricescope (someone in Colored Stones posted a ring her grandfather made for her grandmother) but unfortunately I can't remember the poster. There's a passage in Genesis in the Bible that says:

"And Mizpah; for he said, The Lord watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another."

The word mizpah has come to mean a special emotional bond despite separation (either from distance or death).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizpah_(emotional_bond)

Apparently it is traditional in some cultures to give jewelry engraved with the word "mizpah" to signify the special connection between two people.

My mother's parents are both very ill and likely to die soon (after living a very long and full life so nothing like the trauma you are experiencing). I've been thinking of something to give her when the time comes so I just started learning a little more about the idea of mizpah. We are Christian so this could be meaningful for our family. I thought I'd mention it just in case it has resonance with you.

Take care of yourself.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness, thank you all for your warmth and support. For those who have lost close loved ones, my sympathy goes out to you as well. When something like this happens, it really makes you realize just how fragile life is and to really cherish it. For those of you who had followed my journey in TTC know that it was a long road for me to get pregnant with my second son. I am glad that my dad was able to meet my new son and spend some time with him. I really feel the circle of life was in motion here....

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I wish I had time now to respond to you all individually, but I will come back and do so. Working on this project for my mom is helping to occupy my mind because I know it is something my mother will cherish. I am really liking the trinity ring idea. The rose gold could symbolize my mom and I, and white gold for my brother, yellow for my father. As Enerchi said, we would all be woven together. The Cartier name would mean nothing to my mother. Dreamer mentioned using another brand of rolling rings, does anyone recommed one? I'm currently looking at this one http://www.rollingring.com/Rolling-Rings-p/rolling-rings-3b3c.htm I've emailed them to see if they can engrave in the inside.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lizzyann
so sorry for your loss,wish i had some idea for you.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry for your loss. Your mom is so lucky to have your support. I like the idea of a ring she can wear with her wedding set or in place of if that is too painful.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lizzyann, I am so very sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Lizzyann so sorry for your loss - my deepest sympathy to you and your family at this very sad time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results