carat
color
clarity

Meeting with Victor C today... and SingleStone... OMG

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you all an update after my meeting with Victor today. First, Victor is an awesome guy. He deserves all the success he is having. He is super hard working, and I respect him greatly.

So, I am really, really glad that I made the trip, for many reasons. So I am surprised by what I learned and found out about myself.

1. You know I was considering a halo. I tried on the Emilya, a round in a cushion, and another one. Yep, even the Canera halo is not for me. I guess I am really glad I didn't do this when i first got my ring. I am also very glad to know for certain. Phew!!!

2. I won't say the exact style that I am favoring more than others, but I will say that it isn't the one that I thought it would be. And I found I specifically loved a feature that I specifically disliked from the pictures and videos online.

3. I learned that seeing everything IRL makes the HUGEST difference, for me at least. When I looked at details such as diamonds in the basket, I could clearly see the difference between single cut melee and full cut. And I discovered that I loved single cut melee in a basket. I could see the outline of every little stone very clearly. Not so with full cut.

4. I also discovered that I like the look of bright cut pave, more than u-cut.

Confession. I had time before my appointment with Victor and stopped by Singlestone. ***sigh*** What was I thinking?

I did figure out how I want the look to be at the end of the day. I'll post pics after I finalize my plans with Victor.

In the end, I will go with my gut, and just trust myself. Long road there...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to seeing the results of this meeting. Meanwhile... did you happen to take pictures??? ;))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, how special to be able to meet Victor AND Single Stone. Thanks for sharing your experiences. And indeed... did you take pics on both locations :naughty:

You will be mesmerized once you have that VC ring on your finger with your stunning diamond in it!
So curious to learn whether you will pick the design I think you favor :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is exciting! You seem to have far more answers than questions at this point - must have been a really great experience for you to see these things firsthand.

Can't wait to see and hear what the plan is!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm assuming you are sticking to a solitaire style w/ bright cut pave/single cuts on basket/shank? 4 prong or 6 prong? When are you starting the reset process? Can't wait to see the final result! :cheeky: Do indulge us w/ more pics from your visit! :naughty:

Tell us more about your visit to SS, also!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh I am deeply jealous that you got to meet Victor and go to Singlestone!!!! I hope to one day soon as well. Victor is a lovely guy so I can't wait to see what he creates for you.

I also recommend to everyone go and try on everything if possible - I've lost count of the amount of things I thought would look great or loved in pics only to find out they were not so convincing IRL on the hand and vice versa, I've loved things I didn't expect to like :lol:

Hope that you got to try on everything in Singlestone as well :sun:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So girls, I hope someone will be here to help me. So I slept on it and have narrowed it down. And I didn't want to say it last night, but the one setting I saw at SS still haunts me this morning. I didn't even want to think about it because it isn't everything I wanted, no diamonds in the gallery, weird little cathedral pieces on the side. But on the whole, when you consider the whole look, I love it. What am I going to do?? The work that single stone does makes me want to cry. Please just look and tell me if you can even see the prongs. I will post pictures soon. And of course it is at the highest price point. No bling mind you. I can't even write more until I just post these pics.

I have 3 hours to walk between Victor and SS, before I have to leave for my flight.

Ok I will just post pics and then think some more.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom, go with your heart. No matter what we tell you because if you are in love with a setting and you get another you might always think about the one that got away. By all means post pics and perhaps different perspectives might help with your decision but usually I recommend going with what your gut tells you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous setting and just my taste so I am going to be no help as I love it. And the prongs look beautiful from what I can tell and no they are not noticeable from the picture anyway. I just zoomed my pic and they look lovely. Gorgeous setting and looks beautiful on your hand too. Good luck with your decision!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry in hotel lobby. Can't rotate.

Compare the height difference.

So I love it set low.
I love the tiny, tiny, tiny prongs. So small I can barely see them.
I love the shank. Wide but rounded.
Don't love the little side pieces that attach to the shank. Can made without it.
Want bling in the basket.

_24091.jpg

_24092.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1415900154|3782706 said:
So girls, I hope someone will be here to help me. So I slept on it and have narrowed it down. And I didn't want to say it last night, but the one setting I saw at SS still haunts me this morning. I didn't even want to think about it because it isn't everything I wanted, no diamonds in the gallery, weird little cathedral pieces on the side. But on the whole, when you consider the whole look, I love it. What am I going to do?? The work that single stone does makes me want to cry. Please just look and tell me if you can even see the prongs. I will post pictures soon. And of course it is at the highest price point. No bling mind you. I can't even write more until I just post these pics.

I have 3 hours to walk between Victor and SS, before I have to leave for my flight.

Ok I will just post pics and then think some more.

I'm just gonna say... from reading this post... I truly, wholeheartedly believe that when we're talking about this sort of piece it's the aesthetic, not the bling factor, that should be the most important consideration. If the addition of melee contributes to/furthers the aesthetic you're aiming for then that's great, but if it doesn't, well, IMO absence of that unnecessary distraction is really something to appreciate ::)

My setting from RDG is one of the most beautiful works of art I've ever seen. It came it at nearly half the cost of my centerstone and it's plain 18k gold... I asked about adding some accent stones and Mike was adamant in his refusal, and he was completely right. And whilst the design isn't what I would've come up with if left to my own devices, I adore the way it turned out!!

I think sometimes when your heart and your brain don't agree... well, sometimes the heart should win and I would say "haunting you" is a pretty good indicator of such a time :))

ETA: Slow typing and I just saw you posted pics. I love that - it's romantic and feminine and really does look like it was made in another time :love: I also like your idea of removing the cathedral arms. Victor's work is blingy and modern, this setting is exactly the opposite, and your stone would work beautifully in either style - I sympathise with your dilemma! But you can't really go wrong, and I can't wait to see what you choose... I will admit to being biased toward the SS ::)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to think about it longer--don't make any pressured decisions! As DS would say, "when in doubt, don't..."

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking about this more...

Your new tennis bracelet, your interest in the Cartier Love and Juste un Clou lines, your studs, your carre eternity... They're all bold, modern styles with clean, sharp lines. The SS is florid and curvy - to me it seems like it's a very different style from what I remember of the rest of your jewellery and your tastes? VC's style does seem like it might "fit" better.

Of course, I couldn't say whether that actually matters!

*Spelling

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wasn't going to post but here are side views of Victor's. I see going with Victor as the safe choice. I will love it no matter what. BUT I may love SS more, but I may also grow tired of it.

There are some tweaks I will request.

Don't love the prongs. :(
Love the side view.

Ok it's like this. Enough posting and thinking out loud and I think I get it. SS setting equals really hot guy that you're infatuated with, but will probably end badly. VC setting is safe and will probably love more over time. Are you guys totally laughing at me by now?? I think I have my answer.

_24093.jpg

_24095.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL I am laughing with you because I totally get it. They are both beautiful and don't feel stressed to make the decision right now if you are not sure. Sleep on it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm laughing - I think VC does the best prongs I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of pieces by the various PS darlings ::)

His prongs are definitely bulkier than those on the SS, but they're going to be a lot safer! They're sturdy to stand up to a bit of knocking about, they're precisely shaped which IMO imparts an unexpected delicacy (unexpected given the heft), the prong seats on my ring were impeccably carved out to actually cradle the crown/pavilion/girdle, no open space, which is SO RARE... I love VC's prongs ::)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor can adjust the prongs anyway you would like them to be--I asked for specific customized prongs on my Gabriella solitaire. Just show him an example of exactly what you are looking for.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this would be a tough decision for me as well. I think I like the singlestone setting a wee bit more.
I would sit on it, and maybe it will become clear.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you are both right! Don't mean to criticize. I understand completely why those prongs are bigger, b/c there diamonds in the prong so those had to be bigger. I'm just a PITA. Small prongs and bling. :rolleyes: I am going to hash out the details with him. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, a tough choice. Very different looks. Couple of thoughts.

IMHO you can always bling up a set with bands but can never take away side stones on the shank. I love high quality metalwork and that SS setting is simply gorgeous.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IT IS DONE!

Left my ring with Victor. I talked to him about the prongs. I think he will be able to do it. And I went blingier than I had decided yesterday. Victor was the nicest guy. I feel sorry for him having to deal with crazies like me.

Really in the end it came down to what is most ME. I loved Ari's work as I would love a piece of art. But as an everyday piece, it just doesn't fit me as much. And I don't think I could be ok with the lack of bling for long. And forcing melee on that piece seems like such a shame. It should be worn by someone who wants that look to begin with.

So after happily dropping off my ring with Victor, I feel at peace. I know that if I left it with SS, I would have been filled with angst, stressing over whether I would love it forever. I made the right decision.

I will post some pics from the SS visit.

Thanks for the last minute therapy session girls!! Really so grateful!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last pic showing the Oec/French cut band? Seriously, how perfect can a little tiny piece of jewelry be? When my daughter gets married, I am getting her that.

I felt like I was taking the same journey as twosanguinehearts. Remember when she tried SS twice, but it just wasn't her. But seriously, that store is like a pilgrimage destination. Like on the top ten places a jewelry loved needs to visit before you die. :lol:

_24098.jpg

_24099.jpg

_24100.jpg

_24101.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew - so glad your decision is made! I think Yssie hit the nail on the head about antique vs. modern. I think some of the antique settings are gorgeous but at the end of the day, they are not me. I can understand loving them both but at the end of the day, you know what you gravitate to more. I am not an antique lover person - not in any aspect of my life. I appreciate them but they are not for me - and I know that. The cleaner, straighter lines swing from dress up to dress down and for me, that's important. I get the feeling you are a bit the same. I love a beautiful solitaire too but after having had side stones, I think if I went back to a solitaire I'd eventually be unhappy. It is so important to be able to try on these settings so you're far ahead of the game. I have tried on many I thought I would love only to find out that they looked terrible on my hand.

Victor does fabulous work - as does SS of course. I personally think Victor's work is much like a work of art too so I don't think you'll be missing out on anything there. Can't wait to see this ring!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1415915265|3782868 said:
Phew - so glad your decision is made! I think Yssie hit the nail on the head about antique vs. modern. I think some of the antique settings are gorgeous but at the end of the day, they are not me. I can understand loving them both but at the end of the day, you know what you gravitate to more. I am not an antique lover person - not in any aspect of my life. I appreciate them but they are not for me - and I know that. The cleaner, straighter lines swing from dress up to dress down and for me, that's important. I get the feeling you are a bit the same. I love a beautiful solitaire too but after having had side stones, I think if I went back to a solitaire I'd eventually be unhappy. It is so important to be able to try on these settings so you're far ahead of the game. I have tried on many I thought I would love only to find out that they looked terrible on my hand.

Victor does fabulous work - as does SS of course. I personally think Victor's work is much like a work of art too so I don't think you'll be missing out on anything there. Can't wait to see this ring!!

Hi MGR, yes I do think that we have similar preferences but I'm just starting to figure mine out. I do admit to being influenced by others and my need to consider almost every option before making a decision causes me to overthink sometimes. Yes, in the end, clean lines and symmetry gives me the biggest sense of peace. Thanks for all your advice. I can't wait till it's done and can show you all.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah!!! I can't wait to see the end result!!! I know it will be beatiful! :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1415922683|3782963 said:
Yeah!!! I can't wait to see the end result!!! I know it will be beatiful! :love:

Thanks Mayk. I just went back to your bracelet thread again to look at your ring on with your bracelet. It's really beautiful...

I'm super excited too. But I am actually glad I am taking off some time from wearing my ring. I would like some distance from it for a while.

My husband was teasing me about my excitement to meet Victor. He asked me if I took a selfie with him. I realized I missed the opportunity!! Well, I am sure I will be going back down to southern CA in the next couple of years. I will have to drop by and say hi again.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom, Take your time and don't rush into making a decision. I purchased a halo that I thought I was in love with. I had my eye on the ring for 6 months before I purchased it. Fast forward two months after the purchase and I decided I wasn't in love with all the bling. I only wear the ring when we are out to dinner. It's beautiful and I love halo's on everyone else. I'm just more of a solitare girl.

Both rings are gorgeous but make sure you get the ring that makes your heart sing.

I love the first ring. The setting reminds me of Missy and Haven's rings.

What a fun project. I can't wait to see what you decide!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh LLJsmom... You had quite some nerve-wrecking hours in Los Angeles. It's a tough choice to choose between excellence and excellence. What it indeed boils down to is to pick what is really YOU. We all have probably discovered that you can truly admire a piece when you see a picture of it or when you see it on somebody else's hand. The question whether it fits your style and lifestyle is such a different ballgame.

From what I have seen here you have a classic/modern taste and you love a good dose of bling, but you do not seem to be the halo type.
The design you choose is what I had envisioned you would pick: I only thought you would have chosen the cathedral variety, like the Evelyn with bright cut pave with single cut diamonds :lol:

Single Stone seems to be a magical place and their pieces are so beautiful. But the pieces have a very clear vintage vibe and you do not seem to gear towards that direction.

Now you can sit back and relax. You will be so amazed when you receive your completed ring!!
I indeed had to think about twosanguinehearts journey. Her rings were among the most coveted rings here on PS but it obviously wasn't HER. She seemed so thrilled when she finally got her VC. I am glad your are taking the shortcut as it would have cost you a lot of money otherwise.

Happy waiting and keep us updated :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1415941722|3783199 said:
LLJsmom, Take your time and don't rush into making a decision. I purchased a halo that I thought I was in love with. I had my eye on the ring for 6 months before I purchased it. Fast forward two months after the purchase and I decided I wasn't in love with all the bling. I only wear the ring when we are out to dinner. It's beautiful and I love halo's on everyone else. I'm just more of a solitare girl.

Both rings are gorgeous but make sure you get the ring that makes your heart sing.

I love the first ring. The setting reminds me of Missy and Haven's rings.

What a fun project. I can't wait to see what you decide!

Thanks Calliecake. I was very glad to confirm I am not a halo girl. I reserve the right at some point to change my mind if I am lucky enough to get a Canera cushion though! ;-).

In the end I did make a choice and left my ring with him. I'm so happy I did. Can't wait to post pictures!! But I must be patient...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results