shape
carat
color
clarity

Making fingers look thicker

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I know you ladies want to avoid this, but as a guy I really want something that will make my fingers look thicker i.e. less bony. I heard getting a cabochon set ring instead of one with a faceted stone might be good, cause cabs tend to look visually heavier by sitting closer to the finger, and not having sharp angles of facets might make fingers look less bony. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only surefire way I can think of to make fingers look thicker is to wear your rings on the tight side so you get a bulge
3.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
haha! Now this is something we''re not used to seeing! I like neat''s bulgy idea. Hand exercises?

Definitely a ring with a thick shank--hubby has slimmer fingers and the 6mm shank does make his finger look thicker.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 10:49:06 AM
Author: coatimundi
haha! Now this is something we''re not used to seeing! I like neat''s bulgy idea. Hand exercises?

Definitely a ring with a thick shank--hubby has slimmer fingers and the 6mm shank does make his finger look thicker.
ditto!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, some good ideas, some not so good ones so...

neatfreak - I don''t think cutting my circulation falls in the category of good ideas
36.gif
Still not a masochist
1.gif

coatimundi - not sure hand excercises would do much good in my case - I type a lot every day and it still didn''t affect my "finger muscles"; BTW are you refering to thickness or width of the ring - I can''t believe your hubby is wearing a ring that''s 6 mm THICK
33.gif
; if you''re refering to width, I''m planing on using a wider shank since I have large nuckles (on top of it all) so a thin shank is not an option.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH wears an 8mm wide ring. I like the thinner ring look on guys, but because of how bony his fingers were it was sliding all over the place. Not sure about any other ideas. And being a guy it''s harder to just go try on ring, isn''t it?

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go for a 6mm or 8mm domed ring. That''ll definitely make it look thicker. Avoid the flat bands.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 11:21:06 AM
Author: ma re

coatimundi - not sure hand excercises would do much good in my case - I type a lot every day and it still didn''t affect my ''finger muscles''; BTW are you refering to thickness or width of the ring - I can''t believe your hubby is wearing a ring that''s 6 mm THICK
33.gif
; if you''re refering to width, I''m planing on using a wider shank since I have large nuckles (on top of it all) so a thin shank is not an option.

hahaha! Yes, I meant wide!!
3.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 11:58:16 AM
Author: curiopotter
I''d go for a 6mm or 8mm domed ring. That''ll definitely make it look thicker. Avoid the flat bands.
Thanks, I figured that already. A flat band would only make my knuckles more obvious - not a pretty sight
20.gif

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
You could also try a square shank.. what kind of stone are you trying to set? Is this for a wedding band or just a fashion band?

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
like this one... doesn't have to be that thick, and could be wider. They also make them where the entire shank is square, not just the outside.

ETA: you could really use any round or oval stone. Semi bezel set stones can have some added bulk to them without looking gaudy. You could have a flush set stone with a domed ring. I think John used a semi bezel and it looks quite nice and masculine. Picture below.

square_mens1.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really don''t think there will be any kind of a visual difference between a cab and a faceted stone re: finger fat. I''m wearing a faceted stone on my left hand and a cab on my right, and both hands look pretty similar. The broader shank could work nicely, and two other things I''d try - one, BIG stones to go with the broad shanks can provide an illusion of mass all around, and two, multiple rings can help (and by help, I mean distract - no one is looking at your actual *hands* when you''re doing your best to give the impression of brass knuckles). That said, I think it might just ... sort of be one of those things to come to terms with. We may joke about the finger lipo, but, ironically enough, the bits that we decorate on our bodies tend to be the bits that are most resistant to alteration by other means ....

ma re

Ideal_Rock
curiopotter - square shanks are really not my thing; have a similar gold ring and don''t like it that much; I''m asking for a regular ring, without any specific stone in mind; thnx for the photo

circe - thanks for the info; now, I wasn''t exactly thinking that a cab will make the finger look a lot thicker, just that it might make it look...stronger (for the lack of a better word) since most faceted stones are transperent and most cabs opaque, therefore look heavier - I''m talking more of an optical illusion, a feel or a visual suggestion, same thing you get with a broad band (an illusion of mass)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband's band has a low dome with an overlay. I think the two layers make his slender (size 7.5) hands look more masculine, but I'm sure everything is just a matter of personal taste.

Something like that (the stepped overlay) with a flush-set stone (maybe in a shape similar to the Lucida band?? very angular...) might work nicely?

Here's the link to his band, and a picture:
Avant-Garde Titanium

museyandfisrings.jpg

museyshubbysband.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Finger-Lipo transplant? There are always lots of candidates on here wanting the procedure: you could offer yourself up as a recipient of donor fat?

sorry, couldn''t resist.
9.gif

LS

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2008 9:05:04 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Finger-Lipo transplant? There are always lots of candidates on here wanting the procedure: you could offer yourself up as a recipient of donor fat?

sorry, couldn''t resist.
9.gif

LS
Not to worry, I''m used to it already
21.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Well, there was that one guy who had his thumb bones shaved down to a point so he could use his Blackberry better... So I''m sure they could do implants or something
3.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Another find (why do we sometimes need time to see the obvious?); I always thought that an elongated, along-the-finger design will suit me better, and now I figure it''s the horizontal one (like east-west "fat" oval) that''s more likely to look right.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results