shape
carat
color
clarity

Luggage. What a complete PITA.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So... I've traveled more than usual this year and on my recent trip, my luggage handles finally gave up after 10 years on both the two suitcases I use most often. It's wasn't a perfect set. i bought it on clearance at Costco (last one they had), and it was Ricardo Beverly Hills set. Nothing fancy at all. But it all matched (OCD), and was very durable. It was also incredibly heavy even without stuff in it.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. No more than 300 on two pieces. I need a carry on with wheels and a 25-27 inch bag I can check-- and I want that to be expandable. Mostly domestic travel. But with the continued baggage restrictions I may want the carry on to suit international size restrictions.

Here are the two pieces I am thinking of buying:
http://www.ebags.com/product/travelpro/international-carry-on-spinner/271277?productid=10296710&cartItemId=1
http://www.ebags.com/product/travelpro/25-expandable-spinner/271279?productid=10296714&cartItemId=2

But I am not happy that to get them to match from ebags I'd have to get black. I'd MUCH rather have grey/charcoal/navy/blue/dark green.

Amazon has them in blue. I can do that.

But I thought I'd check with you all to see what you recommend.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
I got a new carry on bag last year and went with the lightest I could get which was a Samsonite spinner hard case. I could have got one slightly lighter in a soft case but as I always have my laptop in it I thought a hard case was better. It is great, very light so can fit more in which is good for business trips when that is all you are taking.

This is the one I got but I got it on sale for much less than this price:

http://www.ebags.com/product/samsonite/cosmolite-hardside-spinner-5520/283307?productid=10334083

My mum bought a bigger hard case Samsonite this year that got damaged on a flight. She had been on a few airlines so didn't know who had done it. We thought Samsonite may fix as it has a 20 year warranty (the hard shell had cracked). We found out the only thing they cover in the warranty is basically the stitching. The zips aren't covered and neither is the shell. So I wouldn't pay extra for a name that you think will be better!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just bought a set at Costco in blue that was a samsonite but I also like Ebags and I am sure they have an international-sized Samsonite that should work. I think ours are 21" technically, but the travel store guys said they SHOULD work for international. When we bought them originally they were tagged for International. They have sales ALL THE TIME. I don't check bags. I like the small ones, and use packing cubes. I think I just saw on there "Save 25% on Samsonite Use Code: Sam25"

Lipault is supposed to a stellar brand and they come in lots of colors.

I don't know anything about Travelpro though, it might be fine.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GlamMosher,
That's odd because Samsonite sent us a brand new replacement bag for a broken zip.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, My husband travels both domestically and internationally often and we have always purchased luggage from Samsonite. They always stand behind their merchandise from our experience. I would also do anything to avoid getting black luggage. There is sea of black luggage on baggage claim conveyor belts.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a High Sierra bag from eBags several years ago. It's very light and it's held up well.

I completely agree that black luggage is a bad idea. When I have to travel with a black bag I tie bright ribbons on the handles. My DH thought I was crazy but it's easy to spot our bags because they all have lime green ribbons with pink polka dots.

I want a spinner but I'm waiting on my current bag to crater. I hope I haven't cursed myself now.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote against black. I usually go for blue. But my parents just bought a rust color set because my dad used to travel constantly for work and said he never saw anyone with that color and while he thinks it's hideous, it always stands out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I detest colours for my luggage so I stick with black which never shows dirt. To make it easy to identify, I put a huge tag which has my business card that is visible through the plastic. Can't miss it.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I used to travel for work A LOT. Like 4 days a week. I don't have much to weigh in on as to current options that are out there (I always bought mine at TJ Maxx, Ross, etc because they got beat to hell), however, I never, ever bought a black bag. It's a PITA to spot "yours" on the carousel. I bought the most obnoxious colors/prints I could find. Zebra print, floral, metallic pink, etc. It's not for everybody, but I tell you, no one ever reached for one of my bags!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH has an entire wardrobe of luggage of all makes. Right now he's sporting hard shell though. It's pretty rugged, expandable and lightweight. There's quite a bit of room inside too. His are pale blue. Go for a brand you like with a good warranty. Nothing lasts forever. DH wears out his luggage eventually.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh!!!! I am in the same boat as you! My roller bag lost its handle last year, so I made due with my leather weekender and borrowed a carry-on roller bag the couple times I needed something larger, but on my way back from Belize in April the j@ck@ss TSA inspector in Houston yanked my leather weekender off the conveyor belt by the zipper and snapped it right off! I was so angry!!!! If I wasn't rushing to catch a connecting flight I would have filed a complaint!

Anyways, I'm done with that rant, and moving on to suggestions...

1. Nordstrom Rack has had some online luggage sales this year. They had some really nice Tumi stuff at deep discounts a couple months back. I regret not pulling the trigger, as they had some really great stuff.

2. Outlet malls--when I went to visit my friend in Phoenix a few months ago we went shopping at the premium outlet and they had a Samsonite store and an independent retailer that sold a number of good brands. I couldn't fly back with a full luggage set, but will definitely look next time I visit a local outlet.

3. Macy's clearance section has some really cheap sets, if that's the route you want to take. I bought some off-brand roller case when I was in my mid-20s, and that's the same one that just broke last year. I think I spent about $50 on it and it lasted me about 10 years. Damn good ROI!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used a Briggs and Riley soft-sided suiter for business and casual travel for years, and it barely shows any wear at all. Seriously, it seems to be pretty much indestructible. It's bigger and heavier than I need for casual travel these days so I'm on the lookout for a smaller, simpler roll-aboard. If you want a piece that will last, though, check out Briggs and Riley. But look for sales - it's not cheap.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen incredible deals on high-end luggage in thrift stores.
I rarely travel anymore, but it's hard to pass it up.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have been using a set of Travelpro luggage for 15 years now with no problems (multiple vacations and cruises each year). I figure if it is good enough for pilots and flight attendants, it is good enough for us. Oh, and they are a golden brown color making them easy to find in a sea of luggage off a cruise ship (more than the number on a baggage carousel.)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I've travelled with TravelPro for years with great results - super lightweight and well-configured.

Most recently picked up a grey 21" ultra-light spinner from Samsonite - also love it.

Agree with the others in avoiding black, though.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1441918657|3926235 said:
I've seen incredible deals on high-end luggage in thrift stores.
I rarely travel anymore, but it's hard to pass it up.

Yep. I admit I travel out with just a carry on and return with a thrift store suitcase filled with tools and stuff. It is easier than taking a large suitcase both ways.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always have good luck at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I am not brand loyal so I take them for a little test drive around the store and see which I like best.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Tumi. Briggs and Riley. MEC.

Ditching our Samsonite. In perfect shape, but oh so heavy.

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish I could afford Briggs and Riley.

But I'm resenting the need to spend 300 on two bags. Let alone MORE!! I know... it's penny wise to go for a lifetime bag. But I just can't justify it for the traveling we do. A couple times a year is not enough to buy expensive bags.

I will check out some outlets. I prefer online shopping. Click of the button and its delivered to my door. Still and all, if I can score a good deal locally it would be worth it.

I am happy to hear that some of you have had good experiences with Travelpro. I also really liked the ebags brand set that was recommended as well. That's a strong contender! I've had mixed experiences with Samsonite personally. I think I'd buy it from an outlet or HomeGoods. But not retail.

And yeah, I really STRONGLY prefer a colored bag to black as well. So I think that's going to be a priority. Thanks all.

I'd love to hear more about your experiences. So please keep the posts coming!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1441935824|3926328 said:
And yeah, I really STRONGLY prefer a colored bag to black as well. So I think that's going to be a priority. Thanks all.

I hate black bags. I had them for years and they all look the same! Our eBags are green, red/orange and eggplant. Very easy to identify.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1441937060|3926343 said:
Gypsy|1441935824|3926328 said:

I hate black bags. I had them for years and they all look the same! Our eBags are green, red/orange and eggplant. Very easy to identify.

I had one set of black bags. My first ever set. I tied ribbons to them to make them stand out. It worked. But having navy ones has spoiled me I think.

I'd prefer charcoal or gray. But I don't think that's happening. Eggplant would be lovely, but... DH might not appreciate purple suitcases when traveling alone.

That said. I am going to call a few places tomorrow and just see if I can get my existing cases fixed cheap. If I can avoid buying new luggage until Black Friday or after Christmas (whichever is cheaper) I would strongly prefer that.

The ones I have, if the handles are fixed, still have enough life in them for me. I just have so many things I'd rather spend 300 bucks on. KWIM?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
my favorite was an orange yellow. Loved it because NO ONE ever had a bag that color. Can't remember the brand.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Went to Ross, Home Goods and TJ Maxx. Did not find one deal to be had. Everything I liked I looked up on Google at found it for the same price online. There was one set that was less than online, but it was so heavy it was pointless to buy.

There was one Tumi suitcasse. It was gorgeous and so well made. It was also 500 bucks at Ross. So... not gonna happen.

Calling repair place tomorrow to see if they can do something about my luggage. I'm more determined than ever to avoid spending the money on new bags. Especially since we had to pay 1000 bucks for new tires today. ;(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try a cobbler. You know, a shoe repair person ( ;-) ).

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love Tumi but, yeah, it is more expensive than most of my airplane tickets.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1442025675|3926777 said:
Went to Ross, Home Goods and TJ Maxx. Did not find one deal to be had. Everything I liked I looked up on Google at found it for the same price online. There was one set that was less than online, but it was so heavy it was pointless to buy.

There was one Tumi suitcasse. It was gorgeous and so well made. It was also 500 bucks at Ross. So... not gonna happen.

Calling repair place tomorrow to see if they can do something about my luggage. I'm more determined than ever to avoid spending the money on new bags. Especially since we had to pay 1000 bucks for new tires today. ;(

Think it will go on sale?? Coupons in the future?????????? We love out Tumi's and would not part with them!! :lol:
Did you try the outlet store in Cabazon outside of PS??

ETA: or buy from a Canadian website...25% savings!

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results