shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitty Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, for the last 2-3 months this stray cat has been hanging around outside my house. He''s an adult, unaltered male yellow tabby, we named Garfield.. He was obviously someone''s pet because he is not shy and the two times he has come snuck in my house he went straight for my cat''s litter box. I have been feeding him, but not allowing him inside for several reasons, one being that I think he may have fleas.

I''m a poor college kid and I just can''t afford this little guy. One of my roommates is terrified of him, it''s really time we found a home for him. I''ve asked all the neighbors, I''ve asked any friends, I called the animal shelter to see if he''d been reported missing.. and I can''t seem to get him off of my hands! He''s such a sweet, beautiful cat but I''m at a loss at what to do. I know it''s hard to get adult cats adopted so I don''t want to take him somewhere where he will be put down.

If you were in my situation, what would you do??

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked to see if there are any no-kill shelters in your area?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl, Second Chance Animal Shelter is just north of Norman and is a no kill shelter. They do a wonderful job! Give them a call, I''ll be he gets adopted out really quickly. You can find there number in the phone book. Good luck!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2008 6:21:05 PM
Author: Upgradable
OUpeargirl, Second Chance Animal Shelter is just north of Norman and is a no kill shelter. They do a wonderful job! Give them a call, I''ll be he gets adopted out really quickly. You can find there number in the phone book. Good luck!

When I called Second Chance last week they told me they could not accept any more cats until some of them had been adopted out
8.gif
I guess I can keep waiting and keep calling until they can take him in. I just worry that he might be sick or get hurt out there. My kitten Pearls is indoor only and I just really feel for him out in that heat.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''ll put out some feelers for you.

We rescued a dog a couple of weeks ago that was wandering around Brookhaven, and this dog looked sick near to death, with burrs in it''s coat. And this was right after the 109 degree day we had. I called the number on his collar, but there was no answer. My daughter and I took him into our vet (Westside University Animal Hospital) to have him checked out. We did have to pay, but got a 25% good samaritan discount. We were able to contact the owner by the end of the day, and they didn''t seem concerned at all.

I''d be willing to split the cost of having him checked at the vet, but we can''t take him because we currently have two dogs and I''m severely allergic to cats. Keep me updated!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
What do you think about putting him on craigslist? I don''t really do the whole craigslist thing, but I imagine there might be some nice family that would take him.

funtobewith

Rough_Rock
You are in OK? Look in your area for low/no cost neuter programs. The shelter should be able to help you with this. I want to say it is about $25 in Texas. I''ll find the link and post it in a minute. I think it is in Denton, TX.

Post a message on a bulletin board there and see if anybody else is willing to take him in.

Post an ad on Freecycle or some other type online animal site. Although, the shelters posted to the one here so they were also pretty much overrun with free kittens. Apparently shelters were hit pretty hard this year with all the litters being brought in. They weren''t even taking owner surrendered animals so they could help the other shelters out. Which is why I think it is important you get this guy fixed if you can.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the fixing. Again, I''m willing to share the costs with you.

funtobewith

Rough_Rock
Southside Dog, Cat & Bird Clinic
Oklahoma City OK
405-636-1484
Animal Low Cost Spay Clinic
4522 NW 16
Oklahoma City, OK 73127
405-949-1000
Oklahoma Volunteers for Animal Welfare
Spay/Neuter Hotline
Oklahoma City, OK
405-842-6772
Information about low cost or free spay/neuter around the state.
Pets & People Humane Society
Oklahoma City, OK
405-350-PETS
Information about low cost spay/neuter.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok thank you so much all! I appreciate it. If it''s only $25 to get him neutered I can swing that, but thank you for the offer Upgradable!

I''ll report back after calling a few places.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel for you - when I was dealing with the same situation I found that none of the no-kill shelters had any room. That really pissed me off considering I donate to a lot of them and when I ACTUALLY needed their help they were of no help to me. I get that sometimes they are full because of the sheer fact they ARE no-kill shelters, but that was of little consolation at the time. Anyway, I ended up keeping the furball. I know that doesn''t seem possible for you so I hope you can find this little guy a home soon! Bless you for doing this!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''ve put out the word to several folks, so the phone tree should be spreading it.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Bump!!

I found a possible prospective owner, but they haven''t called me back in over a week. I have a feeling they backed out. They were really wanting a kitten, not a cat. It''s making me very sad.

I''m uploading pictures right now, they aren''t very good.. but maybe they will help.

Poor little Garfield. I hate him being outside.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Playing with something unseen...

whitney 439.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
One more... Look at his sweet face!

garfieldface.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok seriously.. last one..

Here is my kitty Pearls playing with Garfield through the window.

pearlsgarfield.jpg

VictoriaRose

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful cat! I will ask around (I live in the Moore/OKC area). I hope you find a home for him!

VictoriaRose

Rough_Rock
Ok, I found a potential home for him, but they are out of the country for the next month. If you don''t find a place for him before then, they would love to have him.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!!

I''m still no closer to finding a home for Garfield.
32.gif

I wish there were more I could do.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Is Garfield still hanging around? I may have a lead on a good home for him. Let me know.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes, he is. I can see him right now! Let me know!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results