shape
carat
color
clarity

Kayaking in Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''m going to Oahu for Thanksgiving and I want to try kayaking. Anyone kyak in Kailua? There''s a little island to paddle out to. I''m a total beginner so is it OK to kayak in Kailua...I heard it''s really windy out there.

TIA
1.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t really help you about Oahu. But my husband is a big kayaker and we have an upcoming trip to Kauai and he was wondering about kayaking there. I read an article that it was far too dangerous to go out alone without a guide. The seas can be rough and change too quickly.

I''v been to Oahu, Maui and Kauai - and personally I would not go far offshore. I would be concerned about currents and the unknown. I''m sure there are other members here who can help you better.

Have fun, but be smart and safe. (hire a guide!)

lili

Ideal_Rock
If you are going to do the tandem kayak, then it should be okay.
I'm a beginner myself and was a bit scared myself, but then we saw some little kids kayaking back from the island.
So we figured that it is pretty save.
We've been out to the flat island twice and once to the twin islands.
The flat island is relatively close. Also, there are fewer waves coming in and it has a broader shore line thus
making making it easier to take off from when you come back. I don't recommend kayaking to the twin island though.
The second time we went to the flat island, we went with another couple and the wife doesn't know how to swim.
But she was okay getting out to the island. I have to admit that she was a bit scared when they tried to embark to get back.
You (or your guy) will have to timed to get on the kayak before the next wave comes in. Aside from taking off from the flat
island, the kayak trip is relatively relaxing.

Have fun!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please work with a local outfitter/guide service unless you are an experienced sea kayaker. Look for an organization with ACA certified instructors.

I want you to have a great time. But you will likely have a lot more fun if you recieve some proper initial training and safety equipment. Please don''t assume that it is safe because.... (of a dozen things). Do you know what to avoid, what to do if any number of things happen, and how to self rescue.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results