shape
carat
color
clarity

Jaeger-leCoultre or IWC watch for my husband? (really a psychology question too!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started a thread a few days ago asking about IWC watches but I need additional (translation: pyschology of the happy hubby!) help now that I have more/better information.

First of all let me say that my husband never wants anything, EVER, so when we showed some interest in a few watches at the party at my jeweler's that I dragged him to I could have jumped with joy.

He liked two watches; one was an IWC and one was a Jaeger-leCoultre. The IWC is all stainless and he said it was "cool and kind of retro." The Jaeger has a leather (I think maybe corcodile or aligator?) strap and lots of interesting dials on the face. His reaction to that was that it was "a magnificant piece of fine machinery."

Is that enough to go on to buy him one--NO!!!--and I don't want to pry any further at this point (I tried last night and got nowhere) because that would give away the surprise. So I need your help. I'll post what he's got now (the two tone oyster perpetual datejust Rolex) and the two that he was looking at and please give me your opinions, both on the watches and on what you think is the better choice overall.

Let me also mention price. The IWC is $3,150. The Jaeger is $13,000. I don't care about the $ (well, OK, I'm not stupid, I have no intention of pissing away ten grand, but I would gladly spend it if it would make him happy/happier) so let's say that I can afford both of the watches but I'm just not sure that he likes the more expensive one more.

One idea that I have is to either give him a box with pictures of both in it and let him pick, but I'm afraid he would choose the less expensive one just because it's less expensive. Or, I could buy both and give them to him and just return the one he doesn't want, but again, I'm afraid he would keep the less expensive one for the same reason. The flip side to that is if I got him the more expensive one I'm afraid he would keep it, even if he didn't like it more, just because that's the one I got him. (Damn, the psychology of gift giving is a little too much for me... )

Anyway, here's his current watch:

rolex60.JPG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the IWC. (Do you think it looks too much like the one he already has?)

IWC60.JPG

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here''s the Jaeger. Let me say this picture does not do the watch justice at all. It really is a gorgeous timepiece in person. (Can you tell *I* like this one more? But I keep reminding myself that this is HIS watch!)

Jaeger60.JPG

BZ

Rough_Rock
Hey DJ. What a great gift. My husband has recently gotten into watches and enjoys swapping out the Rolex we bought him for his 30th birthday and A. Lange watch that he got when he made partner.

I really like both watches your husband commented on, but I prefer the Jaeger-leCoultre. I am not familiar with the brand, but I like the look of the leather band with the interesting watch face. The Jaeger-leCoultre would be a nice contrast to the watch he already has, so that he can switch them depending on his dress and or mood.

Good luck. I''m sure he will be pleased with whatever you decide to do.

salmon

Shiny_Rock
Dee Jay,

Personally I love JLC (Jaeger Le Coulture) watches. A FINE PEICE OF MACHINERY INDEED!! My dream watch. I would go with The JLC, they are only one of three watch houses that still produce their own movements. That puts them up there with Patek and Audemars. Seriously, you can''t go wrong with a JLC. In terms of pricing you could get a reverso JLC, my personal favorite, they start at about 3,500/4,500.I know price isn''t A concern, but you could get a cheaper JLC, or buy one on the Grey market Here''s a great site (reputable site for buying Grey markey watches, very much like signed pieces. They also sell brand new watches (I think), make sure you specifiy what you want. ALL THE WATCHES ARE IN GREAT CONDITION!! I think they still sell new watches? Anyway here''s the site. http://www.bernardwatch.com/About. Let me see if I can post a picture of the reverso. The picture of the JLC reverso like funny, but it''s a beautiful watch. The watch face slides out and turn over to protect the piece. They were invented for British Polo players in India to protect the integrity of the watch during play. That''s why the pioctures look funny, they''re trying to show of the watch sliding face. Like I said before, the face does slide back to a regular position and it''s a great conversation piece. Good luck, i wish I were your husband.

pic-1.php.jpg

salmon

Shiny_Rock
By the way, you can get these watches in gold,platinum, rose gold, or stainless steel. The Band comes in the standard colors (brown,black,cordovan,etc.) Good luck and have fun!!!!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Salmon - it's so funny you posted the reverso! Last night we went to a party and I ended up taking to a guy who had this exact watch and who actually got it the jeweler where we saw them. He had it in rose gold with a dark brown strap--gorgeous! I will check out the site you posted too (thank you for that!).

As for wishing you were my husband--HA HA! In general I'm just a big pain in my poor husband's a$$, but I do buy good gifts.
2.gif

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Dee Jay:

I just asked husband and he said hand down get the Jaeger Geographique in stainless steel. It''s rare, it''s simple and elegant it''s an amazing piece. Get the cognac strap. The bracelets on Jaerger''s and IWC''s tend to be a little on the bulky and clumsy side.

Roppongi

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roppongi - Wait--Isn't the IWC your husband's favorite watch? So he would take the Jaeger over the IWC?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, you didn''t ask about this one...IWC Aquatimer...

I got my son a watch last Christmas. He got into his search/research with the gusto of a PSer! I gave him pretty much of a carte blanche regarding the price (within human reason).

What he wanted was something that would look nice when in a coat and tie, and that he could surf in! (He has an anti-Rolex bias for some reason)

Anyway, after tons of research, he ended up with this....it really really is nice looking. Shame on me, I can''t for the life of me remember how much it cost...but certainly less than 13 thou!

widget

987yaquatimer.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Widget - Ooh, I like your son's watch. But, one of the things the happy hubby liked about the Jaeger that he picked out is that it was also "sleak". It was thin and only had on knob. He also liked the idea of the chronograph (but when I asked him WHAT EXACTLY he would time he had NO ANSWER, LOL!) and went back to the one knob idea. I think what makes the one he likes so expensive is the many many dials.

(Now that I'm thinking back, is it possible the model he likes has been discontinued? For some reason the tickness--or in this case the thinness--of the case came into play and now I think now they are being made much thicker. Does that sound right at all? [Aside: If I had know this was going to turn into a serious shopping expedition I would not have headed straight for the champagne table when we arrived!])

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, when hubby gets home I will ask him his opinion but I can almost guarentee he'd choose the Jaeger for himself, so for your hubby too. I think it's a very sleek and elegant watch and it's very different than the rolex he currently has. although the IWC and the rolex do look different to me I like the Jaeger better too.

later though, I'll ask my hubby what he thinks since he spend a few quality hours with your hubby
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the IWC better *regardless* of price - you can get one like that jaeger for like 200 bucks and it doesn''t scream to me that it should be 10k more because it is such a casual style. I think the IWC is different than the rolex - not two tone is a biggie. In fact I really like that IWC a lot. It''s timeless.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote Jaeger!

salmon

Shiny_Rock
I''m sorry, but YOU CAN NOT GET A WATCH THAT LOOKS LIKE A JAEGAR LE COULTRE FOR $200. Especially if you know what you''re looking at, moreover, at this level it''s not about how the watch looks, but about movements,mechanics, and complications. This is Haut Horology, and Haut Horology can''t be purchased for 200 dollars, not unless you want your wrist to turn green. Sorry about my rant, but I love watches as much as you gals love diamonds: AND I WOULD NEVER SAY YOU COULD HAVE A stone that looks like a D color, IF, 4 carat, ACA for 200 dollars even if CZ and mossianites come close, they will never be our beloved diamonds. ;-) Sorry for the rant ladies, IT"S ALL IN GOOD FUN, SO DON''T FLAME ME!

flower12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 11:56:16 AM
Author:Dee*Jay
I started a thread a few days ago asking about IWC watches but I need additional (translation: pyschology of the happy hubby!) help now that I have more/better information.

First of all let me say that my husband never wants anything, EVER, so when we showed some interest in a few watches at the party at my jeweler''s that I dragged him to I could have jumped with joy.

He liked two watches; one was an IWC and one was a Jaeger-leCoultre. The IWC is all stainless and he said it was ''cool and kind of retro.'' The Jaeger has a leather (I think maybe corcodile or aligator?) strap and lots of interesting dials on the face. His reaction to that was that it was ''a magnificant piece of fine machinery.''

Is that enough to go on to buy him one--NO!!!--and I don''t want to pry any further at this point (I tried last night and got nowhere) because that would give away the surprise. So I need your help. I''ll post what he''s got now (the two tone oyster perpetual datejust Rolex) and the two that he was looking at and please give me your opinions, both on the watches and on what you think is the better choice overall.

Let me also mention price. The IWC is $3,150. The Jaeger is $13,000. I don''t care about the $ (well, OK, I''m not stupid, I have no intention of pissing away ten grand, but I would gladly spend it if it would make him happy/happier) so let''s say that I can afford both of the watches but I''m just not sure that he likes the more expensive one more.

One idea that I have is to either give him a box with pictures of both in it and let him pick, but I''m afraid he would choose the less expensive one just because it''s less expensive. Or, I could buy both and give them to him and just return the one he doesn''t want, but again, I''m afraid he would keep the less expensive one for the same reason. The flip side to that is if I got him the more expensive one I''m afraid he would keep it, even if he didn''t like it more, just because that''s the one I got him. (Damn, the psychology of gift giving is a little too much for me... )

Anyway, here''s his current watch:
Dee Jay.how nice of you! if you can afford the price,
how about A. Lange & Sohne ?( bit more hight prce but very beautiful watch)

there is not many shop in USA,
but Shereve co ( SF) carry it.also I thought somewhere NY and Floroda.

or PATECK PHILLIPE?
I would say Pateck, A Lange, Rolex always has class.and very good made.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is my DH;s fav. The Roadster. BTW, I like both watches you posted for your DH.. Elegant choices and great time pieces!

cheers--Sharon

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 4:47:28 PM
Author: salmon
I''m sorry, but YOU CAN NOT GET A WATCH THAT LOOKS LIKE A JAEGAR LE COULTRE FOR $200. Especially if you know what you''re looking at, moreover, at this level it''s not about how the watch looks, but about movements,mechanics, and complications. This is Haut Horology, and Haut Horology can''t be purchased for 200 dollars, not unless you want your wrist to turn green. Sorry about my rant, but I love watches as much as you gals love diamonds: AND I WOULD NEVER SAY YOU COULD HAVE A stone that looks like a D color, IF, 4 carat, ACA for 200 dollars even if CZ and mossianites come close, they will never be our beloved diamonds. ;-) Sorry for the rant ladies, IT''S ALL IN GOOD FUN, SO DON''T FLAME ME!

haha, salmon...i love this...my hubby would agree with you
2.gif
It''s also like our crazy purse thing going on. you can get something *close* for much less, but there definitely is a difference in the leather etc..etc.. I get you 100% too
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 4:24:26 PM
Author: Ellen
I vote Jaeger!
Me too. I like it for many reasons, but it''s got a whole different look than his Rolex, is sleek and sophisticated. The IWC is very nice as well, but more like a Rolex, stainless bracelet etc... Tough choice I''m sure!! But what a sweetie you are, he''ll love either one. Good luck deciding.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Dee Jay...

The IWC is his favorite watch for sentimental reasons
1.gif
You will see more people with an IWC than the JLC Geographique - which are really hard to find. If you really want me to confuse you, please take a look at the Audemars Royal Oak Moon Phase, Glashutte, Breguet, Patek which have incredible movements.

When it comes to spending this kind of money, you have to decide whether you want it to be jewelry (Cartier, Chopard, Corum, Bvlagari) or if you want a true time piece you should go after a company that does nothing but manufacture time pieces. Do you want it to be noticed or do you want it to be stealth? I could go on and on.

You may start something you could regret. For me it started with the IWC and it hasn''t stopped.

Roppongi

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all so much for your replies!

I have gone to the sites that some of your recommended and now I am even more confused than I ever thought possible, LOL! What a pandora''s box I''ve opened, not to mention the $13K Jaeger now seems like an absolute bargain compared to some of the other ones I''ve just looked at on the net. And that one for $3,150--ha! Chump change! (Who woulda thunk? This whole world of watches out there... )

Anyway, please keep the opinions and suggestions coming. As of right now I''m leaning toward the Jaeger.

My plan, in case anyone cares, is to actually get this for our 8th anniversary on Jan. 1 rather than giving it to him for Christmas. We always do big gifts for Christmas and virtually nothing for our anniversary since it''s so close afterwards, so this would be a true surprise for him.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 4:47:28 PM
Author: salmon
I''m sorry, but YOU CAN NOT GET A WATCH THAT LOOKS LIKE A JAEGAR LE COULTRE FOR $200. Especially if you know what you''re looking at, moreover, at this level it''s not about how the watch looks, but about movements,mechanics, and complications. This is Haut Horology, and Haut Horology can''t be purchased for 200 dollars, not unless you want your wrist to turn green. Sorry about my rant, but I love watches as much as you gals love diamonds: AND I WOULD NEVER SAY YOU COULD HAVE A stone that looks like a D color, IF, 4 carat, ACA for 200 dollars even if CZ and mossianites come close, they will never be our beloved diamonds. ;-) Sorry for the rant ladies, IT''S ALL IN GOOD FUN, SO DON''T FLAME ME!
bahahahahaha - :) No flames from me!!

I guess what it boils down to me is how casual do you want the watch to look Dee Jay?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dee Jay,

I just asked hubby and he voted the Jaeger hands down. He said your hubby can always wear the Rolex when he want''s that look. he also didn''t think the Jaeger looked casual at all.

We also think you should buy a timex and give it too him as a joke gift first
3.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I just spent some more time on all these websites (and many more LOL) and if he becomes a watch addict the same way I''m a diamond addict we''ll be in the poorhouse in no time!!!

We''re going shopping today and there is a Tourneau (sp?) store in one of the shopping plazas that we''ll be at. Maybe I can steer him in there and have him try some watches on again. My fear is that the more I do things like this the less of a surprise it will be. Maybe I should make him have a lot of wine with lunch and he won''t be so suspicious.
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
HA! I was just logging in to go to Traveling Gal''s "bargain purse" thread to agree with her about 5K watches ... and stumbled into this thread!

JAEGER is my ULTIMATE FANTASY DREAM WATCH. I want the reverso duo like I want AIR TO BREATHE.

There are JAEGER''s in the 5-10k price range so you might not HAVE to go to 13K ... but, I def vote JAEGER. JAEGER!!!!!!!!!!

9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deco - you raise an interesting point about other Jaeger''s in the $5-10K range. The Reversos I think are in this range, and there are other styles for less than $13K too but I think the thing with this is that it''s a super thin model and you''re paying more because they somehow managed to fit all of those dials in an ultra thin casing. The happy hubby did look at the current thicker models (I think the case is 6 mm?) and his comment was that they were too bulky. So I guess the extra $ is because it''s so thin. Who knows.

Anyway, off to the mall for us. I''ll report back later!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing -- I looked at some Patek Philippes the other day too, but I liked the Jaegers better. Are the Jaegers not as good though? Am I selling Bill short by not getting him a Patek? (Not that I really want to add a third brand of watch into my confusion but I feel like I have to ask... )

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results