shape
carat
color
clarity

Italy in April

Hi all!

I've posted on a couple of travel forums, but I knew my friends on PS would be great help as well. I am getting married April 14 (rapidly approaching!) and we are going on our honeymoon right after.

We booked it over the summer, and had one night in Florence, four nights in Monterosso (along the Cinque Terre coast) and two nights in Paris. Back in October, Monterosso had a horrible flood, and they are still trying to rebuild. By all accounts it appears it should be re-opened in early April, but much of the hike along the coast is closed. Along with that, it seems as though it may not be as "picturesque" as it was, since making it pretty is the least of their concerns.

So... We are researching other options. We cannot change our airfare, so we will fly into Florence and fly out 5 days later. We could stay in FLorence, we could make a short trip to Siena, or we could go to the Portofino Coast and stay in Rapallo.

What would you do? This is my first time visiting Italy, and since it's our honeymoon we want it to be as special as possible. Any experiences in these areas would be GREAT!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would spend two days in Florence, one day in Siena and two days on the portofino coast. I can suggest this place in Siena, my sister got married there (was the first wedding they did, and I think the only one, they decided it wasn't for them to rent out the hotel for a few days for a wedding) It is an amazing and romantic place :)

http://www.amorosa.it/en/index
On their website they have suggested itineraries you could do in a day - http://www.amorosa.it/en/excursions

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hi OUpeargirl,

I'm not sure what your complete Italy itinerary is, it sounds to me like you are flying into Florence, and the out of Florence 5 days later. I was in Cinque Terre pre-floods, and I adored it, although I think that 2 days there is more then enough. In any case, that sounds like it's out of the question now. Are you visiting Venice? I'm completely and totally in love with Venice. I would consider doing 2 days in Florence, and two days in Venice. If I remember, it was a three hour drive between the two cities. Yes, you would lose 6 hours travel time, but it is so, so worth it. Of all the places I've seen, nothing has compared (And I personally feel) will never compare to Venice.

Lotus99

Shiny_Rock
Venice is definitely a beautiful honeymoon destination. I think my "most romantic Italy" city was Verona (home to Romeo and Juliet). Something about that city was just sooo romantic, and I was all on my own when I visited. Rome is also romantic and beautiful. You could also spend four days in Florence and not be disappointed, IMO.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
Also, look into staying in the little towns that sprinkle Tuscany. I am sure there are some really romantic inns near vineyards or in century old buildings. The area is quaint and absolutely gorgeous and hopefully not too touristy in April.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results