shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Trump the Dems Obama?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump genuinely upsets me for many reasons.

I fear for the country if he where to get elected. I fear for freedom of speech, women's right, religious freedoms, and our country's relationship with foreign countries.

He has problems with Muslims- issues that in my mind are entirely too similar to Hitler.

Then I'm like, well crap, I was calling some GOP idiots when they called Obama Hitler.

So my question.
. was Obama really as scary to some GOP as Trump is to me (and most others) . Did you have genuine fear for the country, rather than a dislike of his principals

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1456964283|3998799 said:
So my question.
. was Obama really as scary to some GOP as Trump is to me (and most others)

To me, yes. Almost all of my fears for O as president have become reality ... and worse. And what really scares me is, he isn't done yet.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1456964774|3998804 said:
Niel|1456964283|3998799 said:
So my question.
. was Obama really as scary to some GOP as Trump is to me (and most others)

To me, yes. Almost all of my fears for O as president have become reality ... and worse. And what really scares me is, he isn't done yet.

Well that's very sad to hear.

Eta: sad because it's really unfortunate you have that feeling about your country. Sad because I feel probably what you think was a decline I think was an improvements. Sad that it's gotten to a political system where the other party feels if they lost the presidency they've ruined their country

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get me wrong, there have been some good things that coincided with his tenure, but I don't feel they are attributable to him.

My feeling on Obama and some of what he has done is - while in theory they might seem good - I feel their execution was just too short sighted without due consideration on how these things will affect future generations. And I firmly believe that he set race relations back 50 years in this country. I don't recall seeing so much divisiveness in my 40 something years, and the impact his actions (and lack thereof) have created a war on law enforcement that will take a long time to repair, if that is possible. Yet, when shit goes south, those same people don't call the WH, they call 911. Lastly, I feel we have gotten so far out of touch with the founding principles of our country that it's unrecognizable to me anymore. Yes, it IS sad, indeed!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I was upset by Obama, but I wasn't bothered by it as much as I am the Trump dilemma. Maybe because I am bothered in different ways? Or maybe because I truly feel like there is no one "good enough" to vote for this time around and that makes it all seem worse? I do feel like the Obama presidency has done some heavy damage to this Country (as I suspected it would when he was elected). It scares me to think of what we could become if Hillary took over where he left off.....

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So Obama's politics may not be to your taste, but he's educated, intelligent, has a political background, studied economics, and so on.

Trump thinks he can get the Mexicans to build him a wall. He considers bankruptcy a business strategy. He's best known for yelling at people on a reality TV show. He calls women vile names. He thinks all Muslims should be ejected from the country.

Sorry, but I see no real comparison.

ETA: There is a saving grace to a Trump presidency, which is that he won't actually be able to do the things he talks about. He kind of reminds me of Reagan, who was clearly deranged (we later found out that he had Alzheimer's). Reagan's presidency turned out to be about other people fighting to control him. Reagan himself didn't seem to do much except make speeches. But Reagan's presidency suffered from inconsistent choices. Remember it was Reagan who caused our insane budget deficits. That's what happens when you cut taxes but not spending.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I don't think she was asking to compare the two people (Obama and Trump) - I think she was asking to compare how people perceived them. In other words, were people as scared of Obama as they are Trump?

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's what I'm saying though. People's fear of Obama may have been genuine but they weren't motivated by Obama's actual politics. You had people claiming that Obama was going to set up a police state and put people in camps for example. Obama never said any such thing and of course it didn't happen. People were not scared of Obama. They were scared of someone's fantasy about Obama.

On the other hand Trump is saying equally idiotic things. He won't be able to do what he says, but unlike Obama, he's saying he will do it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ChristineRose|1457032064|3999199 said:
That's what I'm saying though. People's fear of Obama may have been genuine but they weren't motivated by Obama's actual politics. You had people claiming that Obama was going to set up a police state and put people in camps for example. Obama never said any such thing and of course it didn't happen. People were not scared of Obama. They were scared of someone's fantasy about Obama.

On the other hand Trump is saying equally idiotic things. He won't be able to do what he says, but unlike Obama, he's saying he will do it.
Yup, like piling on $10 trillion of extra debt.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are asking this as a broader question, then I think the answer is no. I see very prominent GOP supporters coming out of the woodwork now, saying they will vote Democrat so that they can actually preserve their political party. I see the GOP pulling together to try and defeat Trump in the way of media and speaking out and finding everything they can to discredit him.

The kings and queens of the GOP and those that have been diehard supporters of the conservative movement do not want Donald Trump to be their front runner nor do they want him to be president. Some have said they fear it will be the end of the Republican Party if he wins.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1456968306|3998838 said:
Don't get me wrong, there have been some good things that coincided with his tenure, but I don't feel they are attributable to him.

My feeling on Obama and some of what he has done is - while in theory they might seem good - I feel their execution was just too short sighted without due consideration on how these things will affect future generations. And I firmly believe that he set race relations back 50 years in this country. I don't recall seeing so much divisiveness in my 40 something years, and the impact his actions (and lack thereof) have created a war on law enforcement that will take a long time to repair, if that is possible. Yet, when shit goes south, those same people don't call the WH, they call 911. Lastly, I feel we have gotten so far out of touch with the founding principles of our country that it's unrecognizable to me anymore. Yes, it IS sad, indeed!

I thought Chris Rock had some interesting insights on "racial progress".
http://www.vulture.com/2014/11/chris-rock-frank-rich-in-conversation.html

Aand pair that with interviews with supporters of Trump, and you have Chris Rock's race special...

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1457034846|3999224 said:

Interesting comment, as Obama did not do that.

I'm not saying that Obama's policies were necessarily the greatest thing evah. I'm just saying that people seem to hate him because of that haven't happened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ChristineRose|1457042312|3999287 said:
Dancing Fire|1457034846|3999224 said:

Interesting comment, as Obama did not do that.

I'm not saying that Obama's policies were necessarily the greatest thing evah. I'm just saying that people seem to hate him because of that haven't happened.
If you say so, now look at the chart starting from 2008-2015.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1457037382|3999245 said:
The kings and queens of the GOP and those that have been diehard supporters of the conservative movement do not want Donald Trump to be their front runner nor do they want him to be president. Some have said they fear it will be the end of the Republican Party if he wins.

I would agree with this. I don't like Chump at all! I don't trust him, I don't believe he is a conservative, and call me a 'conspiracy theorist', I do believe he is doing what he is doing to actually help clear Hill's path to the House. He thinks if he quacks like a duck, well by golly he must be a duck.

But yes, I do think Trump is a "wolf in sheep's clothing" in this race. And I personally hope the only house Hillary occupies come 2017 is the 'big house' and not the pretty white one on PA Ave. :lol: But I know that don't surprise you to read me say that. ;-)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1457050051|3999346 said:
If you say so, now look at the chart starting from 2008-2015.

:hand: that was Bush's fault ... all 7 years of it ... you know better!

:D

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1457038757|3999259 said:
JoCoJenn|1456968306|3998838 said:

I thought Chris Rock had some interesting insights on "racial progress".
http://www.vulture.com/2014/11/chris-rock-frank-rich-in-conversation.html

Aand pair that with interviews with supporters of Trump, and you have Chris Rock's race special...

Great interview. Thanks for posting it.

I saw an interview with Trump supporters about a month ago that I was never able to find again, but I found there are a bunch of others out there on youtube. They're scary and depressing.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a really, really hard time seeing the comparison.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1457055377|3999384 said:
You have a hard time with my premise or you have a hard time equating the concern over Trump with the concern some concerns had over Obama?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1457062056|3999460 said:
Tacori E-ring|1457055377|3999384 said:
You have a hard time with my premise or you have a hard time equating the concern over Trump with the concern some concerns had over Obama?

I understand that people are pretty married to their opinions. We all think the way we think is the right way. However, the idea that Trump could be president is FRIGHTENING. Like beyond anything I thought I would ever witness in politics. Not saying the person I vote for always wins, but any reaction pales in comparison to the fear and disgust of Trump becoming president.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results