shape
carat
color
clarity

Is light yellow inappropriate to wear to a daytime wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone! I will be attending a few weddings in the upcoming months, and having seen the excellent and helpful advice this community has provided other confused souls in in similar situations, it seemed Pricescope might be a great place to ask the following question.

Yesterday, I finally had some success in finding some potentially cute dresses to wear. So much so, in fact, that I couldn't decide which to get and just purchased the top few contenders with the idea of getting the male opinion of my fiance. (After all, the goal is to look hot, but socially appropriate.
2.gif
) After putting him through a quick fashion show, he selected the same dress I had as the most flattering... but as a girl, I'm wondering if I should be concerned. The dress is light yellow, and I'm wondering-- could a light yellow dress offend the bride as being too close to white? [To give as much background information as possible... the wedding at which I would wear the dress will take place in a catholic church with an afternoon garden reception to follow. Location is a warmer part of California in mid-September, so it's likely to be sunny and in the high 80s, thus a lighter or pastel color seems to make sense. The wedding's colors are blue and silver. The bride is a member of my future in-laws' family, and I would describe her as friendly, beautiful, and low-maintenance.]

The following is NOT the dress I was thinking of wearing -- I know this looks like a BM dress-- but it is the same color. See http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2908584/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6001837?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6001837&P=1 . I'm thinking of accessorizing with a different color (possibly periwinkle, navy, brick, or a soft lilac) that would enhance the yellow tone.

(Oh, and not to "stack the deck with the Pricescope community", but if I wore the dress in this color I'd be able to finally wear the 2.6 carat pear-shaped canary diamond pendant on a simple chain I inherited from my beloved grandmother.)

So what do you think? Good pastel, or too close to white to wear to an afternoon garden wedding?

Nordstrom Light Yellow Dress.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Cute dress! It''s perfect. I think you are totally safe with any color except all-white or ivory, or something that matches the bridesmaids too closely. And you should definitely wear that pendant!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I think the color is beautiful and see no reason why you shouldn''t wear it (and the pendant of course!). Then again, my mom wore white to my wedding and I wasn''t phased in the slightest, she looked stunning and that made me happy.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On my monitor that is a pale yellow, not an eggshell/pale yellow. If a dress is pale yellow, it is fair game for a wedding!

I love pale yellow! I had my maid-of-honor wear yellow with white trim, my favorite color combination since I watched the movie, "Elvira Madigan".

Deborah
34.gif

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
If it truly is that color, it is distinctly yellow...and could not be mistaken for white/off-white. Considering the wedding party is going to be in blue; you wouldn''t be mistaken as part of the party either. In my opion, it''s a perfect color for a daytime wedding!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s fine.

In the UK there is no problem wearing white or cream or ivory to a wedding - in fact it''s quite common. (Any of you marrying Brits, don''t be surprised if 2 or 3 people turn up in one of those colours!)

My FMIL had bought her outfit a month ago for FBIL''s wedding in Chicago in the autumn. FSIL''s mother called her last week to discuss what they would wear. My poor FMIL had no idea they were supposed to collaborate on colours, lengths etc. She was mortified - and now has to buy a whole new outfit!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE that color!!!!
I want my bridesmaid dresses to be that color...but I can''t find it anywhere.
7.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the replies so far. AGBF made a good point about monitor colors and accuracy of color perception, so I spent a little time trying to take photos of the actual dress. All I can say is, ARGH! I can't believe how hard it is to accurately capture color when the fabric is a charmeuse.

This is my first attempt at attaching a real photo, and I hope I guessed the resizing thing right. Photo #1 shows a white dress on the left, a clearly inappropriate cream colored dress in the middle, and on the right the dress I'm contemplating wearing. As you can tell, (a) light reflection from the charmeuse makes it hard to get an accurate color capture, and (b) cotton duvets from Restoration Hardware get wrinkled really easily.
2.gif

Resized yel dress b187.jpg

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I think the yellow is fine and it looks like a really cute dress!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2007 4:49:10 PM
Author: robbie3982
I think the yellow is fine and it looks like a really cute dress!

Thanks! I decided it was okay to up the sexiness factor when I saw on Pricescope what "flower girls" were wearing these days.

28.gif
LOL

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fleur-de-lis,

You certainly went to a lot of trouble to make sure we saw comparison colors for the yellow! I think the yellow is not only appropriate, but a beautiful hue! The dress looks good enough to eat!

Deb
34.gif

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Well I for one REFUSE to comment until you post some pictures of the 2.6 carat pear-shaped canary diamond pendant
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Stop playing with my emotions!!!

41.gif

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
very cute dress and 100% appropriate...and what is this about a canary diamond?!?!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it! I love the color and the dress itself. I think it looks perfectly appropriate to wear to a daytime wedding.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the dress, the colour is completely appropriate for a summer wedding. I *love* the way you did the colour comparison photo--it was like diamond grading only with dresses. LOL.
36.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just read that yellow was going to be the big color this year ... you''re ahead of the curve! I think it''ll be lovely & appropriate. Third or fourth the call for pendant pix!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
The dress will be super cute. And I MUST see pendant pics ****begging****

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dress looks very very nice. I bet it will look lovely with the pendant. The pendant that deserves it''s own thread...waiting....waiting.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful dress, beautiful colour.

Now where on EARTH is that pendant?
2.gif
31.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
That *might* be the same dress my MIL wore to our wedding. It is like a soft gold color right? She got it from Cache. I thought it was appropriate (and it is a really pretty dress).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results