shape
carat
color
clarity

Interview dilemmas, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got a couple interviews for summer jobs coming up, and I''d like to hear people''s thoughts on wearing jewelry to interviews, especially engagement rings. I was reading somewhere that this is a no-no. What do PS-ers think? I think I''d feel a little sneaky taking it off for the interview, like trying to be something I''m not...granted, this is only a summer job, but I''d still like to make a good (and accurate) impression. And I''m sure I''ll be doing this again, so I might as well think about it now since law firms tend to be very conservative, especially at the interview stage.

My ring is small and simple, definitely not blingy. And I''m not sure I''d want to work at a firm who would discriminate (even unconsciously) on the basis of relationship status. But I also don''t want to appear unprofessional, and it''s been years since I last interviewed, and I definitely didn''t have this dilemma back then!!

Also, I''m having a shoe crisis -- my best suit is dark navy with tiny pinstripes, and I can''t find navy shoes anywhere. The only pair I found is lighter than the suit and I think it looks funny. Would wearing black pumps be a HUUUUGE faux pas? HELP!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what the "right" thing to do is, but I would wear the ring. I think you''re laying it on the table that you''re not available. (which has been issues for many women). Also, I wouldn''t hide that side of you. They don''t need to know EVERYTHING, but it''s a big deal that you wouldn''t want to keep secret. It may also show them that you are a person who is able to be committed.

Black shoes--not terribly bad.
Red shoes--much better. (initiates that power without being over the top.)
Just my .02

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Have you read the book Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams? It''s extremely helpful. The author is Kimm Walton and its published by the Barbri Group. Its written for law students and recent graduates.

As far as engagement rings, I''d take mine off just to be on the safe side. The rationale is that employers will see it and assume you''ll shortly be getting married and possibly starting a family, thus diverting some of your attention from your job to your personal life. Yes, its none of their business but it may still cross their minds. If you''re not comfortable taking it off, go ahead and wear it. I doubt its a total dealbreaker. But I personally prefer to err on the side of caution. I also don''t think its a misleading thing to do. As I said before, its really none of their business.

I think black shoes with a navy suit is fine. I would never even think to wear navy shoes with a navy suit. Its really not necessary.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I know my firm would not think twice about an engagment ring. It might even be a good thing considering we are really all family and children oriented. It really depends on where you interview. I would just do what you feel comfortable with.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone, and especially to goldenstar for the book recommendation -- I haven''t read it, but I''ll be on the lookout for it now! I know the rationale behind not wearing the ring, but it just doesn''t sit well with me. And once my wedding band goes on, it''s not coming off again except in case of medical necessity and if interviewers don''t like that, then I really don''t care. So I guess I was thinking that, if that''s the case, I might as well set precedent now...but I wanted to get some outside perspectives. And I''m so glad I can quit shoe-shopping!

Argh, I know I''m stressing a little too much about this, but I worked for an artsy nonprofit before (where black pants and a sweater were considered "dressy" as long as you didn''t have a meeting with a board member), and I REALLY want to work for this firm!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would wear the ring. My husband interviewed a young woman for a position with his company. She voluntarily said she didn''t have a boyfriend, couldn''t have children, and wasn''t planning on getting married anyway. That was November. She was hired, and has since has had to admit she did have a boyfriend, in fact, they just got married in December! They are even considering kids, apparently it''s possible. It really reflected poorly on her in the end, as she outright lied. Her job is secure of course, but it made a bad after impression. So I think the ring thing could go either way, and if you feel more honest with it on, more "you", then by all means you should wear it. You''re not obligated to talk about your marriage plans, or anything. JMO of course.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2008 7:00:37 PM
Author: lyra
I personally would wear the ring. My husband interviewed a young woman for a position with his company. She voluntarily said she didn''t have a boyfriend, couldn''t have children, and wasn''t planning on getting married anyway. That was November. She was hired, and has since has had to admit she did have a boyfriend, in fact, they just got married in December! They are even considering kids, apparently it''s possible. It really reflected poorly on her in the end, as she outright lied. Her job is secure of course, but it made a bad after impression. So I think the ring thing could go either way, and if you feel more honest with it on, more ''you'', then by all means you should wear it. You''re not obligated to talk about your marriage plans, or anything. JMO of course.
Oh ouch! Yeah don''t do this, this is bad hahaha

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Yikes! I''d never volunteer information about my relationship in an interview. Although I guess rings do that visually...but to talk about it is a different story! Either way, lying is just such bad karma. I''d rather lose out on a job opportunity than be known as a liar. And even though I live in a big city, the legal community here is pretty tight, so keeping a good reputation is vital (this is probably true anywhere).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results