shape
carat
color
clarity

In San Fran for the week... suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi everyone!

Man, I''ve been in PS withdrawal!!! Crazy busy getting ready for a conference, but now that I''m here, I thought I''d check in. I''m in San Fran and looking for suggestions on where to go look at diamond eye-candy, and where to eat good sushi. Or any other great and non-touristy places to eat. I''m also going to be helping a friend shop for an engagement ring, so any suggestions for jewelers that do nice work and have a quick turnaround on settings would be just wonderful (yes, of course he''s waited until the last minute!!!)

Hope everyone is doing great!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Q, you are in one of my favorite cities! I''m soooo jealous.
11.gif
But I''ll tell you anyway.
9.gif
If you like Italian food, do find Trattoria (Oh heck, I don''t know how to spell in Italian). IMHO they have the best home style Italian cooking. Loooooved it 3 times!!!!! Can''t help you with any jewelers but good luck and let us know if you find anything good.

~kmom
35.gif

Welcome to my home town!

If you''re downtown and you love estate jewelery, you might enjoy visiting Lang (Lane?) jewelers over on Sutter Street. They have such pretty and delicate pieces.

You could also call Derco in the Jewelry Mart to ask them for a pass to get in for a visit. The place is likely going to be packed b/c of the holiday season, but I understand they have AMAZING stuff. They''re located in the South of Market district, so I advise taking a cab to and from.

As for food - depends on what district you''re staying in. If you love Italian food, head over to Columbus Ave/North Beach. Trendy places are over on Union Street (cute shops too).

I hope you have a blast!!!! :o)

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Hey Q, where''ve ya been? I''ve missed you.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
One of my favorite restaurants is in San Francisco, among other locations, and my mouth waters just thinking of their food. I believe it''s on California street? It''s called Crustacean and all the items from the "secret kitchen" are just to die for! I especially love the dungeness crab and the noodles! Have fun
35.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
If you get over to Union Street (not Union Square), check out Old and New. They are a small shop, but have some beautiful things. The Derco suggestion is probably a good one. I think that is where my brother and all his friends got their e-rings.

There are too many great restaurants to know where to begin. An old time favorite is Postrio (a Wolfgang Puck team). I''ve never not loved my meal there. Our favorite sushi place was actually in San Mateo on 4th (?) Street-- about 45 minutes south of the city. It''s called Sushi Sam''s, and is always packed, but takes reservations. My sushi snob DH thinks it is some of the best he''s ever had.

bling

Shiny_Rock
Ahh..sf during Christmas..one of my favorite times..
like one suggested, for eye candy, take a day and go to the jewelry mart/gift center on brannan street. You may be able to help you friend look for ering settings there..derco is good, steve padis has tons of settings, giroux is also very good. most vendors there if they have the setting and sizing isnt too much in either direction can have the stone mounted while your there walking around. there are other smaller jewelry shops but some can get a little shady..but then again...your and educated diamond buff so no worries. :)
hmm..as for eating..will you venture outside of sf? sounth to like palo alto or san jose?
crustaceans is great..the crab..ssooo good and its crab season right now. roys is good to if you want a little asian fusion..very nice atmosphere... EOS in the Haight is really good, specialize in small plates and an awsome wine bar next door..Absinthe is fun too..open late..bar and food..
can head to Japantown for some great Japanese food.
if you go to san jose, Hamasushi is really good sushi, if your in the mood for meat..Forbes Steak house in los gatos is excellent..Nolas in palo alto...great food, and fun..oh i could go on and on...

hey, since were at it, can any local bay areas suggest eating places..any kind of food... im always on the hunt for new restaurants..

36.gif

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
SF Chronicle top 100 restaurants lists three.
Ebisu -1283 Ninth Ave between Lincoln and Irving. Difficult parking no reservations and waits up to an hour. 415-566-1770.
Kabuto A&S -5121 Geary Blvd near 15th Ave. Difficult parking no reservations long lines to get in. 415-752-5652.
Takara -22 Peace Plaza, Suite 505 (Miyako Mall at Geary and Post). Parking in Japan Centre. Reservations accepted. 415-921-2000.
Hope this is helpful.
Lisa.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2004 10:56:46 AM
Author: Libster
One of my favorite restaurants is in San Francisco, among other locations, and my mouth waters just thinking of their food. I believe it''s on California street? It''s called Crustacean and all the items from the ''secret kitchen'' are just to die for! I especially love the dungeness crab and the noodles! Have fun
35.gif
If you like Crustacean, you should try PPQ Dungeness Island on Clement Street. Same great dungeness crab and garlic noodle at a lower price.

I like Tokyo Go Go on 16th Street. Reservation is recommended. Tel (415) 864-2288.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Some fusion restaurants that I love

The House in North Beach (on Grant Ave) - I love the sea bass.
Ponzu in Union Square (on Taylor St)
Roy''s in Downtown SF (on Mission) - the butterfish is wonderful, and so is the souffle.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/13/2004 10:50
6.gif
0 AM
Author: sevens one
Hey Q, where've ya been? I've missed you.
I've missed you too Q!!
35.gif
And I'm missin PS too
7.gif
too busy til January, likely
15.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
My hometown!! I could write pages upon pages of restaurants to go to, but here are a few favorites:

sushi- Tokyo Go Go (Mission district) or Ace Wasabi (Marina) or North Beach Sushi (on Columbus)

Luna Park on Valencia (Mission district) is fun- try the smores or caramel apple dessert
3.gif

Moose''s or Bix in North Beach have classic American/Californian food

For Italian I like Trattoria Contadina on Mason, Ideale on Grant, and Da Flora on Columbus and Filbert (all in North Beach)

Can you tell I live in North Beach and go to the Mission every weekend?
1.gif
1.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I would visit Lang Antoques (Jewelry store) if your at all interested inAntique jewelry. It''s in downtown San Francisco.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Wow so many of you are also from San francisco. I grew up there ( still live there) in the Noe Valley, Castro and the Mission district, and went to the high school for the Arts. I now live near Duboce Park.

There is another Antique Jewelry store in the Marina called Old and New.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm.... for food in SF we love Fog City Diner along Embarcadero. It's kind of like an upscale diner with old favorites like mac n'cheese and meatloaf but Greg calls it gourmet meatloaf...hehe. Awesome cornbread and soups. Also Butterfly along Embarcadero is good, the one in Mission was BETTER but they closed it down, the bastards. I think they wanted to focus more on the new one.

I have heard mixed reviews on Crustacean from SF friends, though we have never been.

Enrico's is good and has nice bar scene and lots of people watching.

If you are in the mood for some family style pasta in North Beach, visit Cafe Sport on Greene....it's usually packed and it's absolutely tiny but they have GREAT food. Small menu, focus on pasta...I don't even know if they have more than one salad! You may get seated with other people too.

Hmm what else. On Union Street, I love Betelnut for food (yummy lettuce cups), and they have absolutely great shopping and boutiques down there too. Union St is in the Marina...it's not Union Square. More technically, Union St and Fillmore. Get your nails done at Lush Life Nail Salon which is in that area, I think on Filbert.

If you come into the South Bay, Forbes Mill in LG is YUMMY and pricey. La Fondue is one of my favorites in Saratoga--I try to go there for every special occasion I can wrangle!!

I could go on for DAYS about restaurants....we eat out alot. hehee.
9.gif

Amazingly enough I don't know one place in SF to see pretty baubles, but if you head out of SF into Tiburon (about 10 min out of SF towards Marin), stop at Old Gold and see their vintage pieces, the last time I was there I tried on a 1905 Cartier 3c diamond pave ring, absolutely stunning.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I have been to La Fondue for his b-day for 11 years straight! Love the place.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We go there on bdays too...the thing about LF is that you can only eat there about 2ce a year...you stuff yourself silly so that you feel sick thinking about it for the next 5 months! Then on month 6, suddenly it sounds appealing again. mmmm my fave is the bittersweet chocolate with the Kahlua...they took it off the menu but if you ask for it, they confess to having a secret stash in the back!! I always get the grill too and Greg scoffs and says that''s ''California fondue''...hehe.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions!!! Looks like I''ll need a few weeks of eating
18.gif
I''m finally pretty much done with the conference, so as soon as I sign off here, I''m off to play and EAT. Thanks again, I''ll report back on our culinary adventures!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results