shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had one week to learn something new . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
what would it be?
4.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
YAYAY!!! Research for The Haven???

I could go for lots of things.

a great piece of literature to read, discuss, etc
a writing class for short stories, articles, etc
any kind of art-oil painting, ceramics, etc
a whole bunch of house stuff like painting, refinishing, building, etc

eta~ Not something I need to do, but I think everyone should have basic car maintenance ability.

eta 2~ a gourmet foods course, or specifically desserts to die for
photography or photo editing

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Lots!

- How to paint (oils, watercolours, whatever). It looks so relaxing, but I''m artisically challenged and would love to have kind of an "Art for the non-artist" retreat.

- How to reupholster furniture. I keep thinking it can''t be *too* hard, because newbies do it on those home decorating shows, and it could save money in the long run, I just don''t know how to do it!

- How to throw a pot. I''d love to be able to do any kind of ceramics, but again, I''m artistically challenged.

- I''d love to learn how to shop healthy and cook tasty, healthy meals.

- I''d love to know how to do home renovation-type stuff. Refinish floors, lay tile, etc. Like a DIY boot camp.

Hmmm...that''s all I can think of for now, but if I think of anything else, I''ll be sure to post it.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not artisitic OR crafty, and would love the opportunity to at least play around with that stuff.

1. Sewing! I''ve always wanted to learn to sew
2. Pottery
3. Painting
4. How to cook... I''m terrible and would love a few pointers about cooking basics.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your responses! And yes--I figured a thread to get my creative juices flowing about the Haven is due.

You don''t have to learn anything crafty, either--it can be a sport, carpentry, anything!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
this would be fun!

anything where i could make something and take it away with me, and that might be something artsy/craftsy, or something like ''an intro course to spanish''. something like that.

and i''d love to learn to knit. or ''construct your own web site for the techno-impaired''.

the list is endless!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bring on the endless list, Kareyn! I''m ready for it!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
To finally learn Spanish.....after trying for many years!

Lori

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
A cooking class would be fun!!!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
If I had a week to myself to learn something new I''d learn jewelry making, working with silver art clay, soldering and metalworking. I''d also love to take pottery classes.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 1:18:30 PM
Author: loriken214
To finally learn Spanish.....after trying for many years!

Lori

I really want to learn Spanish as well.

Too much me too for the day.
5.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
OK, I'd like to learn:

Cooking techniques, not just recipes, but the reasoning behind them and how to apply that to create new dishes (think a live version of "Good Eats")
Faux painting
Wilderness survival
Luthier (guitar making)
Improve on horsemanship skills, maybe even some simple jumping
Get certified for solo sky diving

And a couple things I already know, but think would be invaluable for others.
Dog training
Intro to auto mechanics
Basic plumbing and electrical skills.

I don't know if most people realize how much time and $$$ they could save by being able to do a few simple repair tasks on their own. I worked for an electrician for a summer way back in HS. One lady paid for a service call and an hour of labor just so that I could change out the outlets, switches and wall plates in her newly redecorated living room. Almost $200 for $10 worth of parts and half an hour of time. She was just too scared of electricity to realize how easy it was.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I''d love to learn these skills though no doubt they can never be acquired in a week:

Salsa dance
Tennis
Aikido
Play the guitar (only know basic chords now)
Learn conversational Italian/Spanish

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
baking
cooking a specific type of cuisine (thai, chinese, indian etc)
sewing
gardening

i realize the subjects may not be completely covered in a week (or even a lifetime!) but learning some of the basics would be awesome.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Cool thread!!!
Another language, preferably Italian.
Cake decorating.
How to do professional photography, including photo editing.
Gourmet cooking.
Everything about wine.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Different types of drumming
How to do stand-up comedy
Art history
Sewing
Knitting
Yodeling (I am NOT kidding)
Cake decorating
How to make homemade spa stuff (my own scrubs and lotions and stuff)
Candlemaking
I would love to, in a team, write, produce, and put on a full play in one week. If ambitious, an entire musical

I love this thread...

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Calligraphy
Foxtrot (or other ballroom dance)
Basic sewing
Oil painting
Floral arrangement
Poetry workshop
Remedial ballet

There are about a million others, so I''ll keep posting as I think of more. This is so exciting to think about, Haven!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to learn how to paint and do different types of art - I took art classes when I was younger and LOVED it, but now that I''m older I don''t have much time for it and would love to learn more advanced types of painting and artwork.

I think a lot of people would love dancing-related things. I know DH has been dying to take dance lessons with me for sooo long but we never have the time!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 12:58:50 PM
Author: princesss

- How to throw a pot. I''d love to be able to do any kind of ceramics, but again, I''m artistically challenged.
Throwing on the wheel doesn''t require much artistic skill. It''s more of a technical. . .learning to control the clay and "lift" it. It''s the handbuilding style that requires lot greater amounts of creativity. I would suppose there are differing views on that. . .that''s just my experience.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, more about finances, stocks, our financial system, world financial systems. I know BORING... but really useful. And not something that people normally learn in younger years.

Also about (I'm no fun) sociology and psychology. About how different societies have different social structures, and how none of them are wrong, they are just different. Particularly about societies like America where the individual is valued versus other cultures where the emphasis is not on the individual but on the family or community. Where the individual's desires take a backseat to the good of community or family.

Finally, about personal safety. Basic self defense and basic 'common sense" things that everyone should know... when to fight and when to run. Who to call to ask for help. What to do if your cell does work and your car breaks down. Stuff like that.

I'm NO fun. I'm just thinking of things that would help later in life.

ETA: When I was in grade school our school got a grant and we got to learn ALL about square dancing for a week. It was the MOST fun I've ever had in school. SO... square dancing. LOL.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Russian language (but I don''t think can be done in just one week) especially reading. Would love to read Pushkin, Tolstoy, Chekhov in original

Ballroom dancing lessons with hubby

More swimming lessons

I do hope to do all these eventually (I''m still ony 52 so may have 20-40 more years?)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fly a small aircraft
How to properly do yoga/breathing
Perfect medication skills (I love meditating!)
Cook fabulous ethnic dishes
Properly care for my new fish and also learn to start additional tanks - DH thinks I should try a salt water, but that sounds scary and expensive!

on and on. . .

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 3:00:44 PM
Author: jas
Candlemaking

I love this thread...
Candle making! That has always been something I too want to learn as well. Making clean burning soy candles.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I''d like to do everything mentioned in this thread so far!

I''d also like to learn about firearms and personal defense.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2009 3:17:54 PM
Author: MC
Fly a small aircraft
How to properly do yoga/breathing
Perfect medication skills (I love meditating!)
Cook fabulous ethnic dishes
Properly care for my new fish and also learn to start additional tanks - DH thinks I should try a salt water, but that sounds scary and expensive!

on and on. . .
Uh, MC. Unless you are a doctor, that may be illegal.
2.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I would like to:

learn to fly a plane
learn dog training (I know some basics, but being able to really practice with a pro would be awesome)
learn cooking techniques (like jet2ks mentioned; a mini-Good Eats)
learn to cook specific types of cuisine (especially different asian foods)
learn to paint (for non-artists)
learn to play guitar
learn new horseback riding disciplines (I jump, but would love to experience doing some of the western disciplines, for example)
learn to sail a boat
learn to do basic auto maintenance

eta: learn to dance (something ballroom would be fun)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The art of Bonsai.
Chocolate making.
Candy making of any kind, really.
18.gif

Basic fencing.
Salsa dancing.
Stress relief.
Cheese making, but it would probably have to be soft cheeses?
Sailing.
Letting go of fear. (can there be a class for that?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results