shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I may be ready to get another kitty...

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
As some of you may know, I lost both of my cats this year. They were both Maine Coon cats, Woody and Abby. Woody left us this past Thanksgiving at the age of 21. This was sad, but expected. He was a grand old cat and magnificent in his time. We had to make the decision, which is always heartbreaking, even if it is for the best. About three months ago, we were forced to make a decision about our dear Abby. She was my cuddle cat. She lived on my lap and slept on my feet. She had "raging" pancreatitis, which was caused by kidney disease. She would not respond to any treatment and within about two weeks she was gone, at age 13. I have been mourning her loss every day since then.

I think that I am ready to bring a new kitten into our family. There is DH, Charlie Brown [our cavalier] and me. I have decided that I am not going to have another Maine Coon. I love the breed, but I need to move on. This has been a very difficult decision, but I think it is best for me and the new kitten. I cannot replace my Abby and I don't want to try.

I am looking for a cat that will be a big soft puddle of love. I have been doing some research and the Ragdoll seems to be a good fit. I'm not looking for a ball of energy or a jumper or a cat who opens my cabinets. I need peace in my life. I have looked through the Ragdoll thread, but it has gotten so long, that I decided to start my own. I welcome recommendations for other breeds, as well. I am not currently committed to a breed. Feel free to ask me questions. I don't want to make a hasty decision. I would also like to know the difference between a Ragdoll and a Raga Muffin.

There is one caveat I ask that you respect...we will be purchasing through an ethical breeder. Please let this be about the breed, not another thread on rescue or shelters. Since the last thread, I cannot do another.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you feel ready for a new furry companion. They provide us with so much love, joy and hopefully peace in your case.
I dont have a Ragdoll but my neighbor does. He is the most beautiful cat. He is flame colored. His hair is sort of cream colored
with peach on the tips. Got those big blue eyes too. I think he is the most beautiful cat I have ever seen in person!

Have fun with your hunt. I hope you find one very soon and don't forget lots of pics!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
tyty333 said:
I'm so glad you feel ready for a new furry companion. They provide us with so much love, joy and hopefully peace in your case.
I dont have a Ragdoll but my neighbor does. He is the most beautiful cat. He is flame colored. His hair is sort of cream colored
with peach on the tips. Got those big blue eyes too. I think he is the most beautiful cat I have ever seen in person!

Have fun with your hunt. I hope you find one very soon and don't forget lots of pics!

Thank you, tyty. You are always there for me and I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how things go :wavey:

Berryluv

Rough_Rock
Hi risingsun. I'm sorry to hear that you lost both Woody and Abby this year. My friend growing up had a ragdoll named Bert who was a real snuggle puss. He had a nice personality and wasn't very hyper. I myself have 2 persians a shaded silver and a chinchilla. I don't know if they are one of the breeds you are considering but they are awesome snugglers, not very vocal, very social with guests, and all around good companions. Mine are both pretty large to most people when compared to other breeds. One has a doll face and one has the flatter face w/o being too severe.
It sounds like you may like some of the fluffy friendly breeds and I think ragdolls are a great choice as really do turn in to puddles. You may want to look in to the Norwegian forest, Turkish Van, Turkish Angora (which is supposed to be super loving). Hope this helps some. Good luck on finding a kitty.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am happy for your decision! It was hard to lose two cats, and it is so good that you are ready to move on.

I have a British Cat. They are known for their great personality. My cat is very affable and kind. She can put up with my soon-to-be 7-year old and he is unpredictable. She is smart and good-natured. Wikipedia says that they can coexist with other cats and dogs. She is very affectionate.

Her only drawback is a habit to walk on your bed at night. Not sleep with you, walk! She is heavy and purrs so loudly! But in general, if you want a cat whose aim in life is to socialize - this is a great breed! Mine never sleeps if we are at home. She sleeps when we sleep. She wants to spend all her time with us.

Another drawback is that they are large and prone to diabetes after being fixed so you have to watch their diets.

Wikipedia says many good words about their nature.

We have a smaill halfbread but she is to young to draw any definite conclusions about her character.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the feedback, Berryluv and Crasu. I have ruled out the Norwegian Forest cat because they are so much like the Maine Coon. I will look into the other breeds that you mentioned, Berryluv. Crasu, do you have the British Blue? They look so plush and huggable. So he is a night walker! One of our Maine Coons would do that. Trying to get everyone settled for the night could be a challenge. Charlie, the cavalier, would tuck himself behind my legs and knees and Abby would sleep on my feet!

There is a part of me that wants another Maine Coon, but something is telling me that I need to look at other breeds. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't heard from more of our many cat lovers. I am so glad that you stopped by to give me your opinions and support.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any thing major to add, risingsun. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in finding the right kitty for you to love. The one you finally choose will be sooo lucky to have you as its mom.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
risingsun said:
Thank you for the feedback, Berryluv and Crasu. I have ruled out the Norwegian Forest cat because they are so much like the Maine Coon. I will look into the other breeds that you mentioned, Berryluv. Crasu, do you have the British Blue? They look so plush and huggable. So he is a night walker! One of our Maine Coons would do that. Trying to get everyone settled for the night could be a challenge. Charlie, the cavalier, would tuck himself behind my legs and knees and Abby would sleep on my feet!

There is a part of me that wants another Maine Coon, but something is telling me that I need to look at other breeds. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't heard from more of our many cat lovers. I am so glad that you stopped by to give me your opinions and support.

Yes, I have a British Blue. But the general name of the breed is British Cats because they come in all colors. British Blue is just more popular. Honestly, I have never seen a better-natured cat. I have to keep her out of our room because otherwise no one can sleep. So if someone gets up in the middle of the night and opens the door, she sneaks in (she usually waits for the moment)... and then good-bye, sleep! Or my son would start yelling from his room, "mom, take Josephine away!" Meaning that she has somehow got into his room and now he can not sleep either!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh Risingsun, hugs for the loss of your kitties. My mom lost her baby, our Chihuahua, last year (he was 13) and she's still not over it. I know it's difficult to say good-bye.

As for fluffy cuddly breeds, back when I was looking at (relatively) hypoallergenic cats, I researched and visited Siberian catteries. The cats are gorgeous and look very similar to Maine Coons (not sure if that's a plus or minus if you don't want another Maine Coon), and I think are supposed to be pretty laidback (unfortunately I was allergic to them too). But they were gorgeous (and BIG - boys can get up to 25 lbs, females up to 20, though I think the norm is usually 20/15 for males/females). But gosh, they are gorgeous.

I also looked at Russian Blues - apparently their fur is very rabbit/plush-like, and have very sweet dispositions (and are supposed to be very intelligent too, but not as devil monster-ish as my Bengals)

ETA: Sorry Risingsun, just saw that you ruled out the Norwegian Forest cat for being similar to the Maine Coon. Ignore my paragraph on Siberians!

Btw, if I weren't allergic to most breeds, I would totally get a raggie after seeing Lynn's babies

And ETA 2: This is the Siberian breeder I visited. Gosh I really want one of those little silver girls
http://users.foxvalley.net/~jonhirst/k/kittens.htm

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have anything to add to your quest for information, but I wanted to send you a big ::HUG!::

I can only imagine how difficult this is for you, after losing your two darlings - and I think it's really wonderful that you're willing to brave all those feelings and open your heart to another kitty ::)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
So sorry you lost your 2 precious furbabies this year. I grew up with cats and a dog, and have a dog now. While I love my dog, I am truly a cat person. Unfortunately my DH is severely allergic to cats and some dogs but has no problem with our mini schnauzer.

I am always so happy when my neighbor goes away and I go over to take of her 2 cats (btw they get walked on leashes) , but I have to change my clothes when I get back home otherwise it is a sneezefest over at my house.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your responses.

Luckyeshe: I love being a cat mom. Thank you for your support!
crasru: Thanks for the clarification. The only British Cats that I've seen have been the greyish blue color. I've woken up some nights to a cat stomping around on my head!
BEG: I adore your Bengals! They are gorgeous. I think a Bengal might be too "energetic" for me LOL. I have looked at your pics often. I love the Siberians, too, but if I were to go that route, I would get another Maine Coon.
Yssie: Thanks so much for your support. I can't imagine my life without my furkids, so I need to move on.
soocool: Sorry that your DH is allergic to cats. I'm glad you have the neighbor's cats to care for. How much fun to walk them on a leash, at least I hope it is. Thank you for your support.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marian, I just wanted to say "I'm so happy for you honey!" I know you said you'd consider this when it was time, but I'm thrilled for your sake that it's time! Yayyyyyy!!!! A little furbaby to cuddle and love..... Now I'm going to have to shop for "baby gifts" :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: .

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl said:
Marian, I just wanted to say "I'm so happy for you honey!" I know you said you'd consider this when it was time, but I'm thrilled for your sake that it's time! Yayyyyyy!!!! A little furbaby to cuddle and love..... Now I'm going to have to shop for "baby gifts" :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: .

I haven't even gotten pregnant yet :shock: We have just started the process. I will let you know how it goes. You are a sweetheart to be so happy for me!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
This is gong to be a fun thread to follow. I cannot wait to see what you get.
One of my children is allergic to cats, so we can't have them inside. We just recently lost our outside cat. I miss him everyday. There is some part of me that thinks it is wrong to replace an outside cat. I was guilt free with our last one, because he was a stray, and he found us. Every day, I keep hoping another cat will find us!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohh I'm such a kitty person! If I were picking a breed, I would have a Burmese. I think they're gorgeous, first off, but I've read they "talk" to you and just adore their people. They look so soft and plush I'd rub my face on my kitty all the time I think. I have a thing for soft things..I'm Lenny.

JD would wring my neck if I spent money on a cat when there are plenty of free farm cats around, but ohh this breed makes me want to do it on my own. I can't link but if you go to www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/burmese it tells about them. They call them "bricks wrapped in silk" and I love that. JD informs me that cats seem too "delicate" to spend a lot of money on-but hey, a brick wrapped in silk isn't delicate now is it??

Can we help name it too? If it's a girl name it Elspeth.

I'm so excited to see what kind you get!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Pink Tower and packrat :)) It's like starting a new adventure. I have to remember that it could take some time to find one of these breeds. They do not always have kittens available. I'm still in the choosing a breed stage. Don't be surprised if I do a complete turnabout and go back to a Maine Coon. I'm still undecided. I will keep you informed.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
What about a Himalayan? They are a bit more relaxed than their short haired cousins . . . and they are all cuddly and GORGEOUS!!!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer said:
What about a Himalayan? They are a bit more relaxed than their short haired cousins . . . and they are all cuddly and GORGEOUS!!!!
Himalayans are beautiful cats. Thanks for the suggestion. Laid back and relaxed is a necessity. I took care of my daughter's cat for several months. I would find her--the cat, not my daughter--on top of my china cabinet, on top of the refrigerator, balancing on a top of a closet door, not to mention peeing in my plants :o We had to take up the carpet in my guest room after this feline left our care. She had been a feral cat that my daughter took in. There have always been issues with her.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
packrat said:
Ohh I'm such a kitty person! If I were picking a breed, I would have a Burmese. I think they're gorgeous, first off, but I've read they "talk" to you and just adore their people. They look so soft and plush I'd rub my face on my kitty all the time I think. I have a thing for soft things..I'm Lenny.

JD would wring my neck if I spent money on a cat when there are plenty of free farm cats around, but ohh this breed makes me want to do it on my own. I can't link but if you go to www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/burmese it tells about them. They call them "bricks wrapped in silk" and I love that. JD informs me that cats seem too "delicate" to spend a lot of money on-but hey, a brick wrapped in silk isn't delicate now is it??

Can we help name it too? If it's a girl name it Elspeth.

I'm so excited to see what kind you get!

We can discuss this ;))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so happy that you feel ready to add another kitty to your family. I know you have a lot of love to give and it will be a blessed little furbaby who moves into your home.

I can't offer any advice about breeds. I have a Bengal but she is a retired breeding queen and isn't that sociable. She does sleep on my bed but for the most time she is rather aloof and likes her space. I don't know what they are like from kittens, although from what I have seen on youtube they seem like a lovely breed.

I can't wait to find out what you decide. Then when you get it we want to see lots of photos, seeing as we are going to be its PS Aunties :appl:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
risingsun said:

crasru: Thanks for the clarification. The only British Cats that I've seen have been the greyish blue color. I've woken up some nights to a cat stomping around on my head!
BEG: I adore your Bengals! They are gorgeous. I think a Bengal might be too "energetic" for me LOL. I have looked at your pics often. I love the Siberians, too, but if I were to go that route, I would get another Maine Coon.
Yssie: Thanks so much for your support. I can't imagine my life without my furkids, so I need to move on.
soocool: Sorry that your DH is allergic to cats. I'm glad you have the neighbor's cats to care for. How much fun to walk them on a leash, at least I hope it is. Thank you for your support.

Thanks Risingsun! And lol, if you want to live a nice, peaceful, quiet life, I definitely do NOT recommend Bengals. Nope, not at all. I love my boys to death, but they are a handful.

I think I would definitely research Raggies and find a breeder (are you anywhere near where Lynn got her kitten? I think it was in VA? If so, that might be a good start!)

I also have a friend who has Burmese cats (I think 3) and she loves them, but I don't know much about their personality.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Maisie said:
I am so happy that you feel ready to add another kitty to your family. I know you have a lot of love to give and it will be a blessed little furbaby who moves into your home.

I can't offer any advice about breeds. I have a Bengal but she is a retired breeding queen and isn't that sociable. She does sleep on my bed but for the most time she is rather aloof and likes her space. I don't know what they are like from kittens, although from what I have seen on youtube they seem like a lovely breed.

I can't wait to find out what you decide. Then when you get it we want to see lots of photos, seeing as we are going to be its PS Aunties :appl:

I really admire the beauty and character of the bengals, Maisie! You are quite right...as BEG said, they can be a handful. I know a Savannah breeder in my area, but they seem to be quite large and agile. Me...not so much :bigsmile: It will be fun for the kitty to have PS Aunties.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Brown.Eyed.Girl said:
risingsun said:

Thanks Risingsun! And lol, if you want to live a nice, peaceful, quiet life, I definitely do NOT recommend Bengals. Nope, not at all. I love my boys to death, but they are a handful.

I think I would definitely research Raggies and find a breeder (are you anywhere near where Lynn got her kitten? I think it was in VA? If so, that might be a good start!)

I also have a friend who has Burmese cats (I think 3) and she loves them, but I don't know much about their personality.

You are so funny, BEG!! I had a feeling that Bengals would be a couple of handfuls. I will give a shout out to Lynn. I live in VA and would like to see if she can help me out.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Doing research on a new kitten has brought up a lot of feelings. I keep being drawn to silver tabbies that look like Abby. This is my sweet little girl. Would it be a bad idea to get another Maine Coon silver classic tabby?

Archive%20059.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
She's gorgeous Marian! What a beautiful, stately cat. I love silver tabbies - silver was the color BF and I wanted when we were looking at Siberians.

As for getting another cat that looks like her...I don't know.

When my mom's Chihuahua died, I didn't want her to get another tan short-haired Chi. Or another Chi. I thought she would forever be comparing him/her against Cocoa. She got a Papillon and just wasn't happy. She ended up getting two Chihuahuas later that were long-haired and black and is much happier, but I'm still not sure what would've happened if she had gotten another dog that looked like Cocoa.

In the end, I think it's based on the person. What do you think? Do you think you'd be able to look at another silver tabby and not see your beautiful Abby?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Brown.Eyed.Girl said:
She's gorgeous Marian! What a beautiful, stately cat. I love silver tabbies - silver was the color BF and I wanted when we were looking at Siberians.

As for getting another cat that looks like her...I don't know.

When my mom's Chihuahua died, I didn't want her to get another tan short-haired Chi. Or another Chi. I thought she would forever be comparing him/her against Cocoa. She got a Papillon and just wasn't happy. She ended up getting two Chihuahuas later that were long-haired and black and is much happier, but I'm still not sure what would've happened if she had gotten another dog that looked like Cocoa.

In the end, I think it's based on the person. What do you think? Do you think you'd be able to look at another silver tabby and not see your beautiful Abby?

That is exactly were I'm feeling stuck. I was looking at some RagaMuffin photos and there were some silver tabbies. I was so drawn to them. Abby was no saint! She ruled the house with an iron paw. She was sick a lot as a kitten and I believe it shaped her temperament--not always for the best. Within two days of bringing her home, I noticed a lump on her leg. It turned out to be a mast cell tumor. The breeder offered to take her back and give us another kitten, but we chose not to do that. The breeder paid all of Abby's medical expenses and had a specialist at Johns Hopkins review the slides and other labwork. There were other medical problems over the years. I had to work to gain Abby's trust. She didn't like people to handle her...it had to be on her terms. We became so bonded over the years. I know that I can't have Abby back, but maybe her "younger sister" who didn't go through the trauma that Abby did. I have always loved my tabbies. Woody was a brown tabby. Maybe I'm just overthinking this.

ETA: This situation came up with one of my patients a number of years ago. We talked and talked and couldn't reach an answer. I finally said to her to "go with the cat of her heart." She did and it worked out beautifully.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results