clarity

Hypothetical Question...

Would you tell him?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Say you know a guy.

Who bought a watch a while a go that looks really nice on him. He bought it at a department store outlet, just saw it and picked it up, liked and bought it.

Has been wearing the watch for a while now. Loves his watch.

Curious, one day you decide to google that watch, to see if its still available and what it would cost, full retail.

Say he got a great deal. Paid half what it''s worth. And that the department store was an authorized dealer so you know the watch is real.

Then, you notice something. On the Google listing about the watch.

There''s this word, and your sure you''ve mis read it ... but nope. There it is. Ladies.

Now it''s a masculine watch. For a ladies watch it''s very large and quite masculine. For a guys watch it''s ''normal'' and very contemporary.

Do you ever mention to this guy, who loves his watch and go this great deal, that it''s a ladies watch?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY! I finally figured out how to do a poll!

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be much kinder not to say anything. As long as it''s not obvious it''s a ladies'' watch and you''re not letting him embarass himself unknowingly, I don''t think there''s a need to say anything. Maybe it''s a unisex design?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amazon said Ladies. So did my simon and Nextag. But before reading that... I would never have guessed at all that it was a ladies watch. It looks so masculine. Unisex design? Maybe.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, I''m in the minority already... if this "say you know a guy" guy were my DH, I would tell him immediately (and respectfully). I would just want him to know, I don''t think I could sit on that kind of knowledge and never say anything. BUT if it were some random friend of a friend sort of guy, I would sit back, think about it, think about whether I thought the watch looked feminine at all to me from the first sight of it, and then decide. If it looked "unisex" or masculine, I probably would let it go. But if I''d thought at first it looked sort of girly, I would tell him. How''s that for a long winded response, lol! Sorry!
9.gif

What does this "say you know a guy" do when he goes to a jeweler or a watch kiosk to have his battery replaced, and they ask him if his wife/girlfriend would be able to pick it up the next day...(yup, sometimes retail workers make assumptions)...would you risk him finding out that way? Or would it not matter if you don''t know him so well? Ideally, anyone he brought it to for servicing would be trained to remain discreet at all times, but on the off chance you got some random SA who didn''t know better, there could be an issue...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. But say that never happens. If you say nothing, he never knows. If it does happen. Maybe the SA was mistaken? What do they know anyway? They''re always saying my diamond is a princess.
11.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2007 3:06:32 AM
Author: Gypsy
Yes. But say that never happens. If you say nothing, he never knows. If it does happen. Maybe the SA was mistaken? What do they know anyway? They're always saying my diamond is a princess.
11.gif
LOL, you're right, they are pretty clueless sometimes! I guess I'm just thinking of potential situations, not knowing how closely acquainted you are with said watch owner...trying to protect my Gypsy here, hee hee.

eta: Um, so what do you think the reaction would be if you ended up telling this person that it was actually marketed as a ladies watch? because I think most guys would probably laugh it off or not think it was that big of a deal...ok, honestly I think I need more details here but I think you are being guarded to get the most candid results, right? Will keep an eye on this thread...
9.gif

basil

Brilliant_Rock
No, I wouldn't tell. What are the chances that someone he knows is going to look up his watch on Amazon and find out the "secret" AND think less of him for it? If he happens to find out, then he can decide if he wants to continue wearing it then.

Maybe he already looked it up online too, and already knows anyway, but just doesn't want to admit it to you
1.gif

ETA: I'm kinda curious to see what the watch looks like, now.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, I wouldn''t say anything. He loves it, it looks masculine, and it wouldn''t be my place to say anything!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would color my thinking about the watch forever. My husband would stop wearing the watch, probably. Please don''t tell him!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do you know he doesn''t already know? It could be he does, but is comfortable enough in his masculinity that he doesn''t care?

*shrugs*

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I guess it depends on your man. My man is super confident so I would tell him to tease him and we would laugh and I bet he would keep wearing it. If you think it might upset him I would tell him; I know some men at work that would never wear it again so I guess it really depends on your guy. What do you think out of curiousity???

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Unless it looks the least bit feminine, I would let it be. DH was looking at watches the other day. The faces were so huge, they could stop a train. If it looks right-size on his wrist, all''s well
5.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
This kind of reminds me of when Michael Scott was wearing the ladies'' suit!

And no, I wouldn''t tell him unless he were my DH. Then I would subtly mention it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it was my boyfriend/husband I''d just tell him-it''s not really a big deal to me. If he freaked out or wanted to stop wearing it just because it''s technically a woman''s watch I''d think that was pretty ridiculous.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 10:08:51 AM
Author: sumbride
This kind of reminds me of when Michael Scott was wearing the ladies'' suit!
HAHAHAHAHA. I just saw that episode for the 1st time the other night. "MISSterious" wahhahahhahh.

Voted no!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
My friend wasn't a man of suits...had an event and needed a tie tack. Went through someones jewelry box and found a tack type looking back and used it. It was a shiny brass unicorn in mid air with graceful legs. About 2 inches by 3/4 of an inch. When the light hit it you could clearly see this masculine man was wearing a cutesy unicorn.

He said it had a tack backing, therefore he knew it was a tie tack!! Arggghhhh. No I didn't tell him, but I wish I had.

Now...back to the watch...this sounds selfish...but do you like it? Would you wear it? That would be the funny part...you ending up with a new watch. It is after all a woman's watch, right?

A watch doesn't button from the right, or zip from the left, or have breast darts, or waist accents...there really is no tale tale sign. Some RayBan's are the same way. Unisex. Fragrances too. If he is satisfied I would just keep it to myself.

There is one more piece of the puzzle you may not have considered. Any clerk at a respectable counter probably told him. You yourself said he is a confident secure MANLY BEAST
31.gif
...so wearing pink or manicures maybe no threat to him. So if it were revealed to him...he may have weighed the savings and decided to go for it.

Call the store and ask if the watchs are displayed in the clearance or sale area in clear gender areas. If so he probably knew. That may put your mind at ease.
2.gif

DKS

PS. when he needs a battery, or a part, odds are it will be revealed then.

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
If he likes and and is happy with it, why say anything? Maybe he already knows, as it is possible the salesperson said something when he bought it. When I got my Hamilton, I went with a man''s version because I liked it better than any of the ladies versions.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 9:26:10 AM
Author: Skippy123
Gypsy, I guess it depends on your man. My man is super confident so I would tell him to tease him and we would laugh and I bet he would keep wearing it. If you think it might upset him I would tell him; I know some men at work that would never wear it again so I guess it really depends on your guy. What do you think out of curiousity???
I don't know how he'd react.

He's comfortable in his masculinity and he might just shrug it off. But then again, it is a JEWELRY item, and it might subtly color his preceptions, and he's stop wearing it. It looks great on his wrist. I was SHOCKED to see it labeled at a ladies watch.

He likes watches, but cant' justify spending $$ on himself for things like that, most of the time he would prefer to spend the $$ on electronics or something for me. We were in Nordstrom Rack and bam, he saw it, liked it, bought it. And has been wearing it since. It's not expensive. But we did pay half the price it's going for on the web. He has nice dress watches, especially his vintage Longines, but this is his everyday watch. And everytime I look at it I smile, because he actually bought himself a watch that he likes.

I just spent 20 minutes looking for the watch on Amazon, and couldn't. Without the style number (which is on the watch on his wrist and I'm at work) I can't located. it.

DKS-- If the watch needs a battery or repair. I'll be the one handling the transaction. The ever helpful fiance. And no, it wasn't revealed at time of purchase at all. I promise you, he is COMPLETELY clueless. And no, I don't like it for me. The face is the size of my wrist. Covers it completely. I'm tell'n ya... I was shocked it's a ladies watch. Stainless steel, masculine wide bracelet, black face. the tinest diamond chips I have EVER seen (wasn't even sure they were diamonds-- thought they were raised metal beads) at 12, 6 and, 3 and nine. Rest of numbers marked by stainless/silver color little dashes. Silver movelment. Can't find the stupid pic.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I voted "no", but it wouldn''t really matter. My DH picked a "ladies" band for his original wedding band, so I''m pretty sure he wouldn''t care if it was a "ladies" watch.

In fact, I recently ordered matching his and her watches, and mine was the size of the watch he is currently wearing. I really wish it were a bit smaller. His was so big, he hated it and we returned it.

I''m all for men wearing "ladies" watches. Some of them are pretty huge these days.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m in the not telling him camp. He likes it, looks good on him and it doesn''t scream ladies watch. Best to leave it be.

E B

Ideal_Rock
No, no no. It might change the way he looks at it. He loves it, and if it's masculine, no one's the wiser (except you).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 12:35:02 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I''m in the not telling him camp. He likes it, looks good on him and it doesn''t scream ladies watch. Best to leave it be.
That''s my camp too.

I did find the pic. Here ya go.

2171SM1D6ML._SS500_.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brand Name: Skagen
Part Number: 525SSXB
dial_window_material_type: Mineral
Clasp: fold-over-clasp-with-safety
Case material: Stainless Steel
Case diameter: 29 millimeters
Case Thickness: 7.50 millimeters
Band material: Metal
Band width: 20 millimeters
Dial color: black
Bezel material: stainless-steel
Movement: Quartz
Water resistant depth: 30 Meters
Warranty Type: Manufacturer

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s such a man watch! I''m shocked it''s really a women''s watch! Wow! That''s a good looking watch, too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 1:15:11 PM
Author: thing2of2
That''s such a man watch! I''m shocked it''s really a women''s watch! Wow! That''s a good looking watch, too.
I KNOW right?

I''m swear I NEVER would have pegged it as a woman''s watch.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 1:16:47 PM

I KNOW right?

Me neither! Since he''s happy with it, I totally get why you wouldn''t want to change his perception of it.

This actually reminds me of something my fiance did. He bought a women''s item...it was in the men''s section and everything, but it''s a lot more, uh...gender specific than a watch! It was cycling shorts! Hahaha-when I saw that it said women''s on the tag I almost fell over laughing! Of course I told him since he needs men''s for the obvious reasons!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/31/2007 1:22:07 PM

Date: 8/31/2007 1:16:47 PM

I KNOW right?

Me neither! Since he''s happy with it, I totally get why you wouldn''t want to change his perception of it.

This actually reminds me of something my fiance did. He bought a women''s item...it was in the men''s section and everything, but it''s a lot more, uh...gender specific than a watch! It was cycling shorts! Hahaha-when I saw that it said women''s on the tag I almost fell over laughing! Of course I told him since he needs men''s for the obvious reasons!

Now that''s funny! Yeah, he would need men''s shorts. For sure.
9.gif

Yeah. I really don''t want to tell him. And yet I feel horribly guilty for some reason.
33.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if you feel guilty because you feel like you''re keeping a secret from him, I would just tell him! I really doubt he''d mind. I know my fiance wouldn''t care if he was wearing a woman''s watch and he''d definitely keep wearing it. I bet yours would react the same as mine!

I totally understand the irrational guilt thing, though. I definitely can get fixated on something and feel all guilty about it for no real reason! The only thing that makes me feel better is addressing the guilt, though. Like if it''s because I saw something I shouldn''t have or I know something I shouldn''t know or whatever, I just ''fess up! Then I usually feel better about it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. But it seems selfish to risk ruining his contentment with the watch just to make myself feel better. Catch 22. I fixate on the stupidest things.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results