shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Cookie Recipes

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love to hear all the tried and true family recipes that have become a tradition in your home that I could adopt to mine.
3.gif
Please share
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I make these cookies every year; they are a huge tradition in my state. They are the official NM state cookie too (I use to hate anise in them but now it grew on me and I crave them).

Biscochito recipe

1 pound pure lard or crisco or butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
6 cups flour
1/4 cup red wine
2 tsp. anise seed (slightly crushed)
1 cup sugar mixed with 2-3 tsp. cinnamon

Cream lard until fluffy. Add sugar slowly gradually, beating well. Add eggs one at a time beating well. Add anise seed. Mix in flour by hand, using enough wine to make dough soft. Let stand about 10 minutes (I usually will refrigerate them over night so they are cold when I roll them out which helps).

Use cookie press or roll out dough on lightly floured board and cut into squares. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes on ungreased cookie sheets. Remove from sheets while hot and dip top side in sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Cooking sherry or brandy can be used. The lard is what makes them light but you can use crisco instead.

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could cook so I could contribute...
7.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea for a thread, Skippy! I have several that I used to make annually, some of which my mother used to make annually. Here is one of them, which was posted in another Pricescope thread once.

Scottish Shortbread

(I think my mother originally called this, "Mrs. Smith's Shortbread".)

1/2 lb butter
scant 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
3 cups flour (My notation says, "use less!" and is heavily underlined; I think you should listen to me. I believe it gets too crumbly with a lot of flour.)

Knead butter and sugar together, then work in flour, a little at a time. Form into two small cakes and prick fork right through to the bottom. Bake in a slow oven until light brown. (About 325 degreesF-20-25minutes-about 1/3 " thick.)

This is a great Christmas cookie recipe. I have never tasted shortbread that approaches this.

Deborah
34.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Good idea Skippy! I don''t have much to contribute, but I''m up for borrowing anybody''s gingerbread cookie recipes if they''re willing to share...
28.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any to contribute, as I am not a baker. I would love to see these recipes though.

Skippy, yours sound delicious.!!!

Linda

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I went on and on about Joe Froggers molasses spice cookies in the regional slang thread, so I''ll post the recipe here! They are supposed to be big and chewy, and they taste better after aging a couple of days, but they also last forever. Be warned, they''re sort of labor intensive and the dough has to be thoroughly chilled (I always chill for at least 24hrs) so you don''t end up with a sticky mass of molasses glop in your kitchen. SOOO worth it though, especially if you like spice cookies.

The recipe is from Yankee Magazine.

Joe Froggers

This recipe and the legend* behind it are a part of the history of Marblehead, Massachusetts. Be sure to use the specified ingredients -- no substitutions. Avoid too much rolling out.

* 3/4 cup hot water
* 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon dark rum
* 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
* 2 cups sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 2 cups unsulphured dark molasses
* 6 to 7 cups flour
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1-1/2 teaspoons ginger
* 1 teaspoon cloves
* 1 teaspoon allspice
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Combine hot water and rum in small bowl. In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. In a third bowl, combine soda and molasses. In a fourth bowl, combine 6 cups flour with salt and spices. Blend water and rum into creamed mixture in large bowl. Add molasses and dry ingredients alternately; blend. (If dough is too stiff, add a little water; if not stiff enough, add more flour.) Divide dough into three balls, cover with plastic wrap, and chill thoroughly. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sprinkle board with remaining flour. Roll out dough and cut with 2-inch cookie cutter or rim of glass. Bake on greased cookie sheet 10 minutes.
Comments

* The Legend of Joe Froggers: A couple known as Aunt Crease and Black Joe lived at the edge of a pond in Marblehead, Massachusetts. Joe had fought in the Revolution as a young man. On election night, they would open their house, which on occasion was also a local tavern, and serve grog. Joe would play the fiddle and Aunt Crease would cook.

One of her specialties was a molasses cookie the size of a modern-day salad plate. She made them for fishermen, who found they stored well in barrels during long sea voyages.

In the early 1800s, the election took place at the end of May, a time when frogs were peeping in the pond, and by association the cookies were called Joe''s Froggers. Over time the possessive was dropped, and the name today is Joe Froggers.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"1 pound pure lard or crisco or butter"

HOLY #)$*@ are you serious?!?!?!

they should make it some odd sounding metric weight like '1/100 ton pure lard/crisco/butter'...because it just sounds so less DEADLY!

i have a hard time even making things that have a portion of a stick of butter in them. forget a pound.
41.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL LOL LOL LOL Mara

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 2:34:37 PM
Author: Mara
'1 pound pure lard or crisco or butter'

HOLY #)$*@ are you serious?!?!?!

they should make it some odd sounding metric weight like '1/100 ton pure lard/crisco/butter'...because it just sounds so less DEADLY!

i have a hard time even making things that have a portion of a stick of butter in them. forget a pound.
41.gif
Yep and they are yummy
18.gif
18.gif
I only eat one or 2 since they are rich and delicious!!! I only make them once a year.
2.gif
I have a friend who is a runner and asked me for a batch so I mailed them to him and he was in cookie heaven but had to do lots of running to burn them off I am sure. hehee

A Girls Best Friend, I will have to try your cookies!!!

9.gif
I can't wait to make some of these cookies for friends and family
3.gif
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy,

They sound super delicious. You are right what are fattening cookies once a year. I can think of worse things to eat.

Linda

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe skip your thread inspired me to suggest a holiday cookie exchange with my coworkers this year. i have done it before and LOVE the large variety of cookie types that i get, and i only have to make ONE batch of cookies for the entire season, whee. more eating than baking is always positive.

i definitely eat a lot of fattening things during the season (and ummm all year round??), but 1 lb???

(ps, do they even still sell lard??)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,

Yes they do, right next to the Crisco, ha ha ha ha

Linda

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 3:23:50 PM
Author: Linda W
Mara,

Yes they do, right next to the Crisco, ha ha ha ha

Linda
Sounds like the Crisco could serve dual purposes.

1) holiday cookies
2) helping me slide into my jeans after over-consuming #1
5.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Mara,

Actually, I have a neighbor who is from the south. She only fries her chicken in pure lard. It is the best fried chicken DH and I have ever eaten.

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 3:20:06 PM
hehe skip your thread inspired me to suggest a holiday cookie exchange with my coworkers this year. i have done it before and LOVE the large variety of cookie types that i get, and i only have to make ONE batch of cookies for the entire season, whee. more eating than baking is always positive.

i definitely eat a lot of fattening things during the season (and ummm all year round??), but 1 lb???

(ps, do they even still sell lard??)

Mara, Linda is right about it being next to the crisco. I think I know what you mean but I don't think people stop and think about the whole 1lb of lard or butter thing. I know in my state the biscochito cookies are a huge staple during the holidays; heck you find them at a lot of New Mexican restaurants ready for people to buy. I know the recipe makes a lot of cookies too, like 6 dozen or more; plus I know I don't eat a bunch of them since they are rich.
11.gif
3.gif
heheee

That is great you are doing a cookie exchange!!!! I did one several years ago and came home with some really yummy ones. We all made copies of the recipes and passed them out w/the cookies so that we could make more on our own if we wanted too!
9.gif
Please post your cookie recipe when you decide what you are making!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy,

I am going to live in your State for awhile. My cousin lived in Albuquerque for awhile (gee did I even spell it right) and was crazy for the Mexican food. She ate it every single day. She did mention the cookies too, I wonder if those are the ones she was talking about.

She lived there in the early 90''s, then moved back to California.

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 3:52:41 PM
Author: Linda W
Skippy,

I am going to live in your State for awhile. My cousin lived in Albuquerque for awhile (gee did I even spell it right) and was crazy for the Mexican food. She ate it every single day. She did mention the cookies too, I wonder if those are the ones she was talking about.

She lived there in the early 90's, then moved back to California.

Linda
Linda, come on over; I am sure the people of NM would love to have you (I know I would) and of course it would be a treat to see your smiling face here!!! Gosh, I only eat mexican food once every 6 months or so; it is good but very rich just like the cookies. I think some restaurants work hard to let customers know they don't make refried beans w/lard like they use to.
9.gif
I bet those were the cookies. heeheee And YES, you spelt Albuquerque right, great job!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I LOVE and adore Mexican food. Yummmmmmmmmmmy. My daughter and I have to have it twice a month. No refried beans though. We have to have our chicken enchiladas and rice. Sometimes I splurge and have a chile rellano. I crave that stuff.
9.gif
30.gif

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are ohhhhhhh so good!

Chocolate Peanut butter balls (I can't make these because I end up eating almost half of them)

Chocolate Balls Recipes

Ingredients:
1 cup butter or margarine
1 1/4 cup peanut butter -- smooth or chunky (maybe Skippy pb)
2.gif
3.gif
hehe
1 pound powdered sugar
3 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
6 ounces chocolate chips
1/2 large Hershey candy bar -- chopped

Directions:

Melt butter in a heavy 2 quart saucepan over low heat. Add peanut butter, stir until well blended. Remove from heat. Combine sugar and Rice Krispies in a large bowl. Pour hot peanut butter mixture over all. Mix thoroughly using hands. Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on wax paper lined cookie sheets. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.

Combine chocolate chips, Hershey Bar, in top of double boiler. Place over hot water until melted. Dip chilled peanut butter balls in chocolate mixture to coat. Place on wax paper lined sheets to set chocolate. When dry, store in refrigerator.

Makes 3 dozen

Note: I have used graham crackers and coconut too w/the rice krispies. Also, once I made them w/graham crackers instead of the rice krispies.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skip we do the recipe swap thing too, so you end up with like 10 new cookie recipes, fun times. However, I just like making one big batch then getting to try new cookies, so I end up never making the 10 anyway hehee. We have 9 people signed up so far...whee!!!!

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Some of my favorite holiday cookies to bake and share are Mint Chocolate Snow Drops. It''s basically a sugar cookie with mint chocolate morsels mixed in, and before it''s baked it gets rolled in sugar. They are easy to make and go so well with a cup of coffee. I make and bag these up to gift my coworkers and family or use in any cookie exchanges around the holidays.

Mint Chocolate Snow Drops

Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. sugar, divided
3/4 c. vegetable oil
2 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (10 oz.) pkg. (1 1/2 c.) Nestle''s Toll House mint flavored semi-sweet chocolate morsels
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar and vegetable oil; mix well. Beat eggs and vanilla extract. Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in Nestle Toll House mint flavored semi-sweet chocolate morsels. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Shape into balls. Roll in remaining sugar. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.

I''ll have to see if I can find my mom''s White Chocolate Cranberry Crunch cookie recipe. Think yummy white chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and Rice Krispies - MMMMM.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 5:24:53 PM
Author: equestrienne

Some of my favorite holiday cookies to bake and share are Mint Chocolate Snow Drops. It''s basically a sugar cookie with mint chocolate morsels mixed in, and before it''s baked it gets rolled in sugar. They are easy to make and go so well with a cup of coffee. I make and bag these up to gift my coworkers and family or use in any cookie exchanges around the holidays.

Mint Chocolate Snow Drops

Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. sugar, divided
3/4 c. vegetable oil
2 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (10 oz.) pkg. (1 1/2 c.) Nestle''s Toll House mint flavored semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar and vegetable oil; mix well. Beat eggs and vanilla extract. Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in Nestle Toll House mint flavored semi-sweet chocolate morsels. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Shape into balls. Roll in remaining sugar. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.

I''ll have to see if I can find my mom''s White Chocolate Cranberry Crunch cookie recipe. Think yummy white chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and Rice Krispies - MMMMM.
This sounds like it''d be good with regular chocolate chips and then crushed peppermint candy canes for the mint. Visibly festive as well...mmmmm it''s giving me ideas for my cookie for the exchange!

One of my fave super easy holiday recipes for cookies is to make choco chip cookies, crush up candy canes and toss them into the batter, bake. Peppermint chocolate chip cookies, yum. Better than Sbucks Pepp Mocha.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
These are crazy good. I first saw the recipe in Martha Stewart Living (years ago) and thought... hmmmm, right up my alley, but looks like too much work. Then by coincidence a friend made them and brought them to my holiday party, and I could not STOP eating them. Lo and behold when I asked for the recipe, she told me it was right out of the magazine. Well, I've been making them ever since. Now I tend to double the recipe to make a HUGE ton of cookies, but keep the logs wrapped in the freezer and just slice off a few to bake whenever I want some.

Lime Meltaway Cookies

12 TBS ( 1 ½ sticks) butter, room temp.
1 Cup powdered sugar

Zest of two limes

2 TBS freshly squeezed lime juice
1 TBS vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups of all purpose flour + 2 extra TBS.
2 TBS cornstarch
¼ tsp. Salt

1. Cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar in a small to medium bowl until fluffy. Add lime zest, juice, and vanilla; beat until fluffy.

2. In another medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add to butter mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.

3. Between 8-by-12-inch pieces of parchment paper (or wax paper), roll dough into one 2 to 2 ½ -inch-diameter log. Chill in freezer at least 1 hour (can store logs in freezer for several weeks). Can roll into two smaller logs, but makes smaller cookies.

4. Heat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Place remaining 2/3 cup sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Remove parchment from log; slice dough into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on baking sheets, spaced 1 inch apart.

5. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag; toss to coat. Bake or freeze any remaining dough. Store baked cookies in an airtight container.

ETA: Don't even think of not coating them in powdered sugar at the end...they're not very sweet otherwise!!

18.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ummmm FG are those KEY LIMES?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely should have KNOWN that FG would have a recipes for.....

LIME cookies!

Was gonna post one up just for you, FG.......and you already have one - LMAO!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lime cookies. THANK YOU!!!

Linda

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2007 5:56:01 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Lime Meltaway Cookies

I have already made a copy of the recipe for my three-ring holiday notebook, FireGoddess! The recipe plus the description has convinced me that they will be everything that you claim!

Thank you!

Deb
34.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 6:13:27 PM
ummmm FG are those KEY LIMES?
Girl, you can bet your sweet patooty that key limes would be even MORE divine, but it''s not necessary...regular limes will do.
2.gif
Now listen you lemon lover, I will let you know (under slight duress) that you can replace the lime juice and zest in the cookies with lemon, and they come out *almost* as good. But not *exactly* as good.
9.gif

Alj, hehe, I had to come through. You can secretly pass me your lime recipe girl, cuz I can always add to my lime repertoire.

Linda, try ''em, you''ll love ''em!! Deb, glad they appealed to you!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results