shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with possible highlights/concerns with dying during pregnancy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
So, I''ve been wanting to get my hair highlighted for, oh I don''t know, years now. I keep going back and forth over it; partly due to the cost and upkeep, partly because it seems a little more *trendy* or *cool* or *girly* than I am, and partly because I think it might end up looking like, well, maybe like dookey.

Since I cut my hair a while back, I''ve been talking about it a lot more, because my hair is so thick, almost every hair stylist has qouted outrageous prices for doing it with the thickness and length to take on. My current hairstylist (who I *LOVE,* by the way) says that it would be much more easy to do now, and that it could be less dramatic, since there is less hair to work with.

I have relatively dark hair, and I don''t want blonde streaks or anything drastic like that. I don''t think I''d want thick, chunky streaks of color, either. Again, not that trendy. I have auburn highlights that show up naturally in the sun. Codi, my stylist, says that would be the best way to go. I was wondering if anyone who''s got some good skilll with photoshop or anything like that can help me envision what it may look like to go with highlights.

My husband got me a gift certificate for my hair to be highlighted, and I wasn''t even thinking about it at the time I mentioned really wanting to do it "for sure, for sure," but we''re planning on trying to grow a little baby this upcoming year, and I''ve heard you can''t dye your hair during pregnancy. So maybe now''s not the best time.

I guess this is a twofolded post requesting help with ideas of what my hair might look kind of like if I were to highlight it and then seeking help from people as to whether or not you can safely dye hair while pregnant.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Good grief, that thing''s giant. Totally NOT necessary!!!

And hopefully, this is a smaller picture of my hair in it''s natural curly mode:

curlyhair.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay so am i the only freak that thought that you were asking for help with concerns that you might die during pregnancy, as in kick the bucket?????? my cousin is in labor right now with her first child, and the first great grandchild, and it's going quite slowly so i had a really weird dream last nite about complications too. that is my only 'i'm not that nutty' excuse for what i thought the thread title said!!!!

on the highlight thang...i have super dark thick naturally curly hair that is straigthened and i have dark auburn and dark gold/light brown highlights in my hair...more gold in summer, more dark reddish brown in winter. sometimes i go chunky, sometimes more woven in. i love both looks. i love highlights in super dark hair like ours because i think that a lot is lost with hair that is just plain dark and that it throws shadows over girls' pretty faces. my girlfriend has super dark hair too and it's flat and straight and she looks SO much better with highlights but she's just not girly enough to keep them up so she does them sporadically and then her hair just looks weird in the mid-times.

re: the dying hair during preg...not quite sure because i have heard both yes and no. i have known people who did it and those who didn't. so i dunno about that! but if you aren't SOLD on highlighting it now, then i wouldn't do it right now before baby. if you already had highlighted hair it might be a different matter. but if you haven't...and you are going to try for a kidlet soon, maybe hold off.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
You are adorable!! I love your hair both ways--mine is super thick and curly but I only wear it straight.

Anyway, highlighting is perfectly safe during pregnancy, I think because the dye isn't getting right onto your scalp. I have lots of gray roots and my OB said it was safe to dye my hair after the first trimester. So you know that as soon as that day arrived, I was in the chair getting my hair done! I don't have any advice on the color of highlights for you because I've actually never done them but I'm curious to hear what others say because I've been thinking about adding some to my hair and it's about the same color as yours. According to my mother who thinks I should do it, highlights will make me look younger and I'm all about that!
2.gif

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I love you dark hair. I''m a bit biased myself
31.gif

I''ve heard those wives-tales about no hair dying when pregnant but I''m not sure. I would say if you are trying to get prego hold off on the hair.

Your hair is gorgeous dark. I''m afraid highlights might damage it too. ( I had a bad experience with highlights a while ago! Hair almost fell out! Yikes!)

Good luck deciding!!
41.gif

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 9:20:00 PM
Author: Mara
okay so am i the only freak that thought that you were asking for help with concerns that you might die during pregnancy, as in kick the bucket?????? my cousin is in labor right now with her first child, and the first great grandchild, and it''s going quite slowly so i had a really weird dream last nite about complications too. that is my only ''i''m not that nutty'' excuse for what i thought the thread title said!!!!

on the highlight thang...i have super dark thick naturally curly hair that is straigthened and i have dark auburn and dark gold/light brown highlights in my hair...more gold in summer, more dark reddish brown in winter. sometimes i go chunky, sometimes more woven in. i love both looks. i love highlights in super dark hair like ours because i think that a lot is lost with hair that is just plain dark and that it throws shadows over girls'' pretty faces. my girlfriend has super dark hair too and it''s flat and straight and she looks SO much better with highlights but she''s just not girly enough to keep them up so she does them sporadically and then her hair just looks weird in the mid-times.

re: the dying hair during preg...not quite sure because i have heard both yes and no. i have known people who did it and those who didn''t. so i dunno about that! but if you aren''t SOLD on highlighting it now, then i wouldn''t do it right now before baby. if you already had highlighted hair it might be a different matter. but if you haven''t...and you are going to try for a kidlet soon, maybe hold off.

No Mara! I thought the same thing when I first read the topic header!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay so am i the only freak that thought that you were asking for help with concerns that you might die during pregnancy, as in kick the bucket?????
LOL! Not only DID I think that, I was going to phrase it EXACTLY the way you did, including "kick the bucket." Too freakin'' scary....

And I have heard it''s safe. However, my vanity (what little I had) has gone down the tubes while preggo, so I''d just err on the side of caution anyway. I did get my hair cut for a bit of a pick me up when i couldn''t handle the ickiness anymore.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2007 9:24:08 PM
Author: ang3199

okay so am i the only freak that thought that you were asking for help with concerns that you might die during pregnancy, as in kick the bucket??????

As did I.

Deb
34.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto on holding off. Since you will be TTC, best to play it safe. Treat yourself afterwards. Your hair while being preggo goes through so many changes... Wait until it's back to normal.. Then think about playing with some color. I love your haircut, it's adorable on you!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara--I totally thought the same thing, so if you''re crazy I''m right there with you!

Fisher--I don''t know anything about highlighting and pregnancy, but I just wanted to say you have GORGEOUS hair. I mean, really truly beautiful hair.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock

okay so am i the only freak that thought that you were asking for help with concerns that you might die during pregnancy, as in kick the bucket??????

Me three. I laughed so hard when I read this line in Mara's post. When I first read the topic header I thought, "wow, this is a serious topic!"
6.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another ditto here! I was really alarmed with the title of the post! I was ready for bed but had to see why she was worried about dying during pregnancy!
6.gif

Fisher, your hair is beautiful like it is! I''d really just leave it alone. You''ll be glad not to have the upkeep and expense when you have a baby. Ask your hairdresser to let you use the certificate for a cut or two instead!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 9:30:09 PM
Author: AGBF

As did I.

Deb

34.gif
Another one here who thought the same! The subject line totally threw me off!

I agree with holding off.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2007 11:39:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Another ditto here! I was really alarmed with the title of the post! I was ready for bed but had to see why she was worried about dying during pregnancy!
6.gif

Me too about the headline-you scared me!

I like your hair...it's soooooooooo shiny and thick! And the color is great-so dark and nice. I have completely straight brown hair (nowhere near as thick as yours) and honestly, I like having regular plain brown hair. Sometimes I feel like every girl I see has blonde highlights, you know? I used to have short, totally bleached platinum blonde hair and it's just soooo much easier not to deal with the upkeep! I'm very lazy when it comes to stuff like that! Plus, once you add in the pregnancy/hair dye thing, I'd probably just skip it for now as a better safe than sorry kind of thing.

ETA: Oops, just saw you wanted auburn highlights...hmm. I feel like sometimes red highlights can look a lot like what I call "hairdresser hair"...kind of overdone and too many colors, you know? But done well, I think they would look great with your skin and hair. I don't know, I'm very lazy, so I'd still skip it!
3.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally thought the same thing Mara! I was really worried about looking at this thread!!

I love your hair the way it is Fisher!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought the same about the title...

Help with possible highlights/concerns with dying during pregnancy

I was thinking... there aren''t any highlights that I can think of if you die during pregnancy, but there are a lot of concerns....

I think I need some sleep!
9.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry for making this thread look like death was near for pregnancy. I actually had the thought someone would see it and think that way, but then I thought, "but die isn''t spelled like dye!" Yeah, duh, unless you add *ing.* Then it''s the same.

I just didn''t think of the possibility of using dye while pregnant (at all) before I told Paul I really, really, really wanted to get a certificate to highlight my hair. Argh! That''s so like me. I''m taking prenatal vitamins for a baby I don''t yet have, and a baby we''re not even trying to have right now, and then I want to do something that will require that I keep up doing it-- and it involves chemicals.

I should''ve been born a blonde!! Just kidding. I know those jokes are ridiculous. I thought it was funny for this thread, though.
9.gif

Thanks for the nice comments about my hair. I was worried about going short (and for me, the first week was almost like being bald!), but I think it''s a fun change and Paul what he calls "the straight flippy" style. He''s a nut. I use this really great shininess shampoo, and it does wonders to take away the frizzies, and I think it rocks! Also, with shorter hair, you notice how fast it grows. It''s to my shoulders (like actually touches them) now. Amazing!

Just for kicks, because I probably will wait to at least see if we get pregnant in the first half of 2008, if anyone has photoshop powers, I''d like to know what the streakage could look like, some day. I probably never gather up the courage again, though. It''s just so trendy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results