shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Halloween costume?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

My DH & I just got invited to a Halloween party & I need to pull together a costume by Saturday night. We usually like to dress up in couple-themed outfits (i.e. milkman & milkmaid, pirate & pirate wench, etc.) & we''re both somewhat creative & crafty, but are short on time this year.

He has the makings for a fireman outfit, so if I can figure out a coordinating costume for myself in time, we''ll be set. Some ideas I had were a firewoman (is that the correct term?), dalmation, or, my current top pick, fire. I''d like the costume to be a little sexy, but not overly so & would feel more comfortable showing a bit of cleavage than a lot of leg. (so most of the firewoman costumes I found on a google search are out)

Do any of you crafty PS-ers have suggestions on how I could make or put together a fire costume on short notice? I''d greatly appreciate any help you could offer!
35.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m thinking you could wear a red leotard and tights (if you can''t find red specifically there is always RIT dye!) or similar, then do a red headband and fashion sort of a Statue of Liberty contraption consisting of cut out flames coming off the top. You could use cardboard and cut it into curvy flame shapes, then spray paint the cutouts orange and red (for flames) and hot glue them to the headband, or you could do a ton of orange and red pipecleaners which would be easier to attach (wrap them around the headband and crinkle them to resemble flames). You could always go completely generic and wear a red tee-shirt and spray paint the word "fire" on it, lol!

Fun couple''s theme idea, I like it!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh cute idea! I love the cardboard flame headpiece suggestion monarch. Definitely do that!

Maybe this is time consuming...but maybe you''re quick with scissors and a needle. Materials: red tank top or tshirt + red, orange, yellow fabric + needle and thread + red skirt.

Cut the fabric into different size individual"flames." Layer the long ones first, then medium ones and then short ones on top. Sew straight across the bottom (the base of the flames). Then do one stitch at the top of each flame just to attach it to the shirt. Let the middle "billow" as you move. Complete it with a red skirt of any length and red hot heels and you''re ready to go.

OR

You could just wear all red, wear the flames headpiece that monarch described, and make smaller verisons for your wrists and ankles.

Whatever you decide to do, MAKE SURE TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE COSTUMES!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great ideas, Crownjewel!!! I love the layering colors idea! And BrightSpot, try red GLITTER!!!! Nothing says "fire" like sparkly red glitter, lol! Oh, and if you have a bejeweler thingie, www.artbeads.com has awesome Swarovski crystals you could use to add extra glitz and glam to your fire costume. They will ship overnight for a few extra bucks. Can't wait to see how your costumes turn out, you must post pics for us!
36.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
To make the head thing lighter you could use that foam stuff in the craft department. It is pliable and bendable...I just don''t know what it is called. It cuts easy with an exacto knife. Oh, you can starch gauze to stand erect. Not sure if that could be helpful.

On the sexy theme...I would wear a dress that was extremely flattering...but torn...the hem ripped and the ends burned. One shoulder ripped and hanging off. You can tear a slit up the leg that would really draw attention. Fix your hair down...and tease a little out of place. Smudge some soot on your check...and place a soot hand print on your tushy. Wear bright red lipstick and on him...you plant bright red lip prints all over his face for saving you.

Another idea is to wear a white form fitted dress and make a tube of gauze that you wrap around yourself. You go as the hose. And carry the end with the nozzle. Walmart last year had a nozzle that was called fireman nozzle in lawn and garden.

I like the Dalmatian. Adorable little black spots on your face and a dog collar. You could wear a Cat suit and add dots...and a tail. and a nose.

They have those battery operated candle flames...don''t know how to incorporate using them.

Remember stop drop and roll.

DKS

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies,

Thanks for the great ideas! I called my mom yesterday & she is shipping me a red devil costume that I haven''t worn in almost a decade (hope it still fits!). From what I recall, it''s somewhat like you described, DKS--it has a jagged hemline & sleeves, belt & I think it even has a neckpiece that looks like flames. I could wear it around my neck or maybe as a headpiece.

She also picked up a red glitter fabric pen (good call on the glitter, monarch!), a glow-in-the-dark fabric pen & some red, yellow & orange ribbons that I''m hoping I can attach to the belt or skirt to make the flowing skirt you suggested, CrownJewel. I think fabric would probably look better, but I''m going to give the ribbons a try as they''re already on the way. I think she sent red pumps too. I might wear red fishnets, or flame tights, if I can find them locally. If the dress doesn''t wind up working, I can get a tank/skirt or leotard/skirt.

I also went to a wig store last night & bought red, yellow & orange hair that I''m making into clip-on highlights. I''m considering painting my face with flames, but don''t know if it''ll be too much. I guess I could also get red & gold eyeshadow & do something slightly more subtle. What do you think?

DKS, I literally laughed out loud about the soot handprint! (I''d also thought about me being the firegirl & DH dressing up as a hose, but it seemed a bit too obscene!
27.gif
) I''ll definitely have to plant some bright red kisses on him!

I''ll definitely post pics of the final version! Thanks again for all of your wonderful suggestions & wish me luck!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results