shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with a cashmere scarf

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I have a cashmere scarf that was recently in an accident- my 18 month old daughter threw up on it, as she does at times. :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: So, i washed it like i did before, well, so i thought. The scarf is 2/3rds the normal size. I must have forgot to use the cold wash!!!! This is unfortunate as it is now not long enough to tie/ wrap around without it becoming undone like, in 2 seconds.

Is there a way to stretch the scarf again? Or, it may end up going to my daughter at some point.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Re: Help with a scarf

sonnyjane|1349560645|3280708 said:
Oh no!!! What is the scarf made of?

it is made of cashmere... i have now re-edited my post..

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should have been dry cleaned. You could take it to the cleaners to see what they would suggest. Sorry this happened!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it feel denser than it did before? If so, you felted it and there's nothing you can do to restore it to its previous state. :(sad

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, hard to restore natural fibers.
I no longer Dry clean mine because of smell :knockout: I wash similar colors with baby shampoo in a vanity sink.
I've learned the hard way to avoid running water, that would definitely stretch cashmere. Sorry!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1349660319|3281267 said:
Does it feel denser than it did before? If so, you felted it and there's nothing you can do to restore it to its previous state. :(sad

yes, it feels denser than before.... Well, my daughter is going to get a scarf at some point down the road!!!

Thanx so much for all the other ideas....

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, is that your daughter in your avatar? In my book daughter trumps cashmere scarf any day - but I guess I don't need to tell you that!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1349666756|3281315 said:
BTW, is that your daughter in your avatar? In my book daughter trumps cashmere scarf any day - but I guess I don't need to tell you that!

Yes it is.. she is 19 months old this week and the terrible 2's are just starting... :cheeky: :naughty:
She is going to inherit a few things..eg my diamond studs, rings....

We are just so lucky to have her. she is just the best.... :love: :bigsmile:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1349667728|3281319 said:
VRBeauty|1349666756|3281315 said:

Yes it is.. she is 19 months old this week and the terrible 2's are just starting... :cheeky: :naughty:
She is going to inherit a few things..eg my diamond studs, rings....

We are just so lucky to have her. she is just the best.... :love: :bigsmile:

Lucky indeed!

It sounds like your daughter will be wearing cashmere much sooner than most of her peers too! :wink2:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can "block" cashmere. This may seem counter-intuitive, but my grandmother was a professional seamstress and worked in a dry cleaner for over 40 years, and she said they would take knits and dampen (or preferably heavily steam, which achieves the same thing) them and gently stretch them back to size. I have used a hand steamer on cashmere several times, but only for wrinkles, never to stretch it. The important thing is to get the shape really right too. Then, put heavy things on the edges to keep it that way while it dries. If you really don't mind giving the scarf to your daughter in its current condition, then maybe not risk it, but if you have nothing to lose it may be worth a shot.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
VR is right; once it's felted, that's it. I suppose you could try to find another scarf in a coordinating or contrasting color and sew them together? (I realize that's a big shot in the dark and could be time consuming.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results