shape
carat
color
clarity

Help please? Your football knowledge appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings Pricescopers.

I'd sure enjoy some help... I'm en route to Minneapolis to join my Belgian colleage Paul Slegers of Infinity and our (fabulous) dealer there got us tickets to tonight's NFL Packers @ Vikings game!

This is Paul-Antwerp's first exposure to American football. I have raved abroad about my beloved NFL but Paul typically (politely) rolls his eyes...and is maybe painting me with the hooligan brush. Now he will see a classic game firsthand, where purple horned folk and cheeseheads shall descend on him like thunder and earthquake! - I can't think of a better NFL induction for our mild-mannered Belgian cutter.

My request: Please share ANY thoughts about American football below...ANYTHING...advice for the game, trivia (about any team or level), cheers, jeers...whatever...in this thread. What should Paul know? I'll look at it from the tailgate and again from the game...so you'll sorta be there with us.

My goal: After Paul's 9-day visit he will have enough football feedback that I can at least TALK to him about this stuff when I'm in Belgium... Ultimately I may be trying to coax a round brilliant from a macle here, but I'm giving it the old college try, and it should be fun.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts - Cheers!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''d make sure he knows how crazy it''s going to be because of the whole Favre situation. Heck, even NPR had a story on it this morning!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Great game!

My first thought is that nearly every American plays football from an early age, regardless of gender.

Also, I found this and thought it might be a good starting point. I guess the game is kinda hard to understand from a newbie perspective.

"General
1.01 What is Football?

Tricky question. The "football" we''re talking about here is American Football. There is also "Soccer" which is called "Football" in most of the world, and "Canadian Football" which we will talk about briefly later on.
The People

2.0 What are the offensive positions?
2.0.1 Quarterback

The "field general." Takes the snap from center and either hands off or passes the ball to a running back or receiver or keeps it himself and runs. Also known as the "QB"
2.0.2 Running Back

Aligned behind the QB they often carry the ball on running plays, catch the ball on short passes or step up to help block. There are several types of running backs including "Fullbacks" and "Tailbacks".

2.0.3 Wide Receiver

Generally split wide his main job is to catch passes thrown by the quarterback.

2.0.4 Tight End

Located at one or both ends of the line of scrimmage he is an eligible receiver but is also frequently used as a blocker. Bigger than wide receivers (and generally not as fast).

2.0.5 Tackle

The offensive linemen who line up immediately outside of the guards (2.0.6) are tackles.

2.0.6 Guard

The offensive linemen who line up on either side of the center (2.0.7) are guards.

2.0.7 Center

The player who lines up over the ball and "snaps" it to the quarterback on command to start a play.

Also, just a little aside, the t-shirt sellers have two groups of t-shirts pre-made. They just pull out the winners'' shirts to sell and have loads of garbage left over. I have had many shirts that announce the Cowboys as winners of games that they did not win.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fantastic!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 1:36:01 PM
Author: princesss
I'd make sure he knows how crazy it's going to be because of the whole Favre situation. Heck, even NPR had a story on it this morning!

Ditto. This is either the "game of the century" or the "grudge match of the century" depending on who you're talking to. You are very, very lucky to get tickets (maybe this will make Paul feel better).

But, John, please tell him not everyone in Wisconsin is as nutty as some of the fans he will see tonight! We don't all walk around wearing green and gold all the time!

One word Paul will need to know when watching Favre play is "interception" definition. As any Packer fan knows, Favre holds the record in these!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
He knows a little. He already told Resa and I that the correct French pronunciation is NOT faaaarrrrvvvvv, but Fav Ray said fast and with the emphasis on the last sylable...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 2:28:23 PM
Author: Wink
the correct French pronunciation is NOT faaaarrrrvvvvv, but Fav Ray said fast and with the emphasis on the last sylable...

Take off, eh! Can you imagine someone saying Fav Ray at the game?!? I think they''d be stoned!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2009 1:30:40 PM
Author:John Pollard
Greetings Pricescopers.

I''d sure enjoy some help... I''m en route to Minneapolis to join my Belgian colleage Paul Slegers of Infinity and our (fabulous) dealer there got us tickets to tonight''s NFL Packers @ Vikings game!

This is Paul-Antwerp''s first exposure to American football. I have raved abroad about my beloved NFL but Paul typically (politely) rolls his eyes...and is maybe painting me with the hooligan brush. Now he will see a classic game firsthand, where purple horned folk and cheeseheads shall descend on him like thunder and earthquake! - I can''t think of a better NFL induction for our mild-mannered Belgian cutter.

My request: Please share ANY thoughts about American football below...ANYTHING...advice for the game, trivia (about any team or level), cheers, jeers...whatever...in this thread. What should Paul know? I''ll look at it from the tailgate and again from the game...so you''ll sorta be there with us.

My goal: After Paul''s 9-day visit he will have enough football feedback that I can at least TALK to him about this stuff when I''m in Belgium... Ultimately I may be trying to coax a round brilliant from a macle here, but I''m giving it the old college try, and it should be fun.

all Paul needs to know is....
take Vikings and lay the 4 points, cuz Packer D sucks,they can''t stop Peterson tonight.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Please, please, PLEASE make sure he understands that true football is played outdoors and not under the domed roof that we Minnesotans have been forced into accepting!!!

I don't know if it is possible but the MN Gophers (college team in Mpls) have built a beautiful college stadium and if you could get a tour of that, he might have a better feel for how the game is truly played! Especially in a snow storm with negative degree windchills...
31.gif

I hope that you do all enjoy your time in Mpls. It is a beautiful city with a lot to do for entertainment. If you want any suggestions, please feel free to ask!

ETA - watching Adrien Peterson is truly watching poetry in motion! Can't say much about Favre as I am not one of his bigger fans although in his prime, he was amazing. Hopefully we will get a fraction of that experience this season!

Our defense had better be top notch as the Packers will be out for blood...

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 2:59:10 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 10/5/2009 1:30:40 PM

Author:John Pollard

Greetings Pricescopers.

I''d sure enjoy some help... I''m en route to Minneapolis to join my Belgian colleage Paul Slegers of Infinity and our (fabulous) dealer there got us tickets to tonight''s NFL Packers @ Vikings game!

This is Paul-Antwerp''s first exposure to American football. I have raved abroad about my beloved NFL but Paul typically (politely) rolls his eyes...and is maybe painting me with the hooligan brush. Now he will see a classic game firsthand, where purple horned folk and cheeseheads shall descend on him like thunder and earthquake! - I can''t think of a better NFL induction for our mild-mannered Belgian cutter.

My request: Please share ANY thoughts about American football below...ANYTHING...advice for the game, trivia (about any team or level), cheers, jeers...whatever...in this thread. What should Paul know? I''ll look at it from the tailgate and again from the game...so you''ll sorta be there with us.

My goal: After Paul''s 9-day visit he will have enough football feedback that I can at least TALK to him about this stuff when I''m in Belgium... Ultimately I may be trying to coax a round brilliant from a macle here, but I''m giving it the old college try, and it should be fun.

all Paul needs to know is....

take Vikings and lay the 4 points, cuz Packer D sucks,they can''t stop Peterson tonight.

True, DF, but the newspapers in Wisconsin are saying that Favre may be so jittery tonight playing his old team, that he''ll throw a ton of interceptions and throw the game (pun intended) to the Packers.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All right, this is from Valerie because John already knows that I'm too busy to follow football:

Seriously John, really? Okay Paul, this is for you:

The beer is blech (table beer) but it's cold... (Blech because it's NOT Belgian - we've had this discussion in Seattle when you've ordered beer)

The nachos are hot and are likely to cause cramps later... But then again, your bum will be numb so it's okay.

Always make sure to harass the guy sitting next to you about the team he is rooting for (unless it's your team) and understand that when people drink they say stupid things - be one of those stupid people! They'll blame John for anything you do when you explain that you're from Europe.

P.S. have a beer (or five) for Val and make sure to deposit the table beer in the urinal before the end of the 3rd Quarter.

P.S.S. whichever team John is rooting for (that's the guy sitting next to you Paul) remember to root for the other team!
2.gif

There you go, that's all you need to know about football.

Love,

Val
1.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
My contribution: “It’s better with massive quantities of beer”, and “Think of football as fervently as a religion!”

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Some Vikings trivia...

Vikings In The NFL Hall of Fame
Bud Grant:
As stable as the stone carved granite mugs on Mt. Rushmore, Bud Grant was the best leader in Viking Football history!
Alan Page
He put the fear in offenses all around the NFL bringing prominence to the legendary "Purple People Eaters!"
Fran Tarkenton
His numbers are better than Super Joe Montana! Fran the Scrambler was the most creative leader in the NFL!
Paul Krause
The all time thief of passes, leading the NFL in interceptions with 83 lifetime picks.
Ron Yary
The best anonymous lineman you could ever want on your team
Carl Eller
Moose from the University of Minnesota, was bull that ran like a deer and hit like a truck. Look up tough on the dictionary, and Carl Ellers mug will be pictured.
Jim Finks
This dude put it all together! He was the mastermind behind putting all the players on the Vikings together.
Jim Marshall
He''s not in Canton yet, but someday he will be. This link will take you to an awesome collection of 70 Jim Marshall pictures taken on the day that the Vikes retired his number at the Metrodome! Kudos to the Flippster (a severe Vikings Fan) for doing this!!!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Football HISTORY

Derived from the English game of rugby, American football was started in 1879 with rules instituted by Walter Camp, player and coach at Yale University. In 1888 tackling as low as the knee was permitted. From 1876 through 1879, the game was rugby, with only a few minor American embellishments. But during the next four years (1880-1883), all this would change. Walter Camp contributed some of the changes from Rugby and Soccer to American football. The first thing that Walter Camp changed was that one side retained undisputed possession of the ball, until that side gives up the ball as a result of its own violations. Walter also changed the line of scrimmage, and 11 players on a team instead of 15. Camp created the quarter-back and center positions, forward pass, standardized the scoring system, numerical scoring and the safety, interference, penalties, and the neutral zone for football. A touchdown increased in value to six points and field goals went down to three points in 1912.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 5:17:19 PM
Author: Todd Gray
All right, this is from Valerie because John already knows that I''m too busy to follow football:

The beer is blech (table beer) but it''s cold... (Blech because it''s NOT Belgian - we''ve had this discussion in Seattle when you''ve ordered beer)

The nachos are hot and are likely to cause cramps later... But then again, your bum will be numb so it''s okay.

Always make sure to harass the guy sitting next to you about the team he is rooting for (unless it''s your team) and understand that when people drink they say stupid things - be one of those stupid people! They''ll blame John for anything you do when you explain that you''re from Europe.

P.S. have a beer (or five) for Val and make sure to deposit the table beer in the urinal before the end of the 3rd Quarter.

P.S.S. whichever team John is rooting for (that''s the guy sitting next to you Paul) remember to root for the other team!
2.gif

There you go, that''s all you need to know about football.

Love,

Val
1.gif
lol.gif

Great advice.
hi501.gif

Paul, have a few for me too please!
embeer.gif

John, you may need to help him get to the car, so watch your consumption!
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2009 6:14:56 PM
Author: jmtomaui

Some Vikings trivia...

Jim Marshall
He''s not in Canton yet, but someday he will be. This link will take you to an awesome collection of 70 Jim Marshall pictures taken on the day that the Vikes retired his number at the Metrodome! Kudos to the Flippster (a severe Vikings Fan) for doing this!!!
i remember J. Marshall ran the wrong direction after picking up a fumble.
9.gif

and don''t forget Chuck Forman whom had a couple of good yrs with the Vikings.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 6:55:20 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 10/5/2009 6:14:56 PM

Some Vikings trivia...

Jim Marshall
i remember J. Marshall ran the wrong direction after picking up a fumble.
9.gif

and don''t forget Chuck Forman whom had a couple of good yrs with the Vikings.
OK DF - I was obviously overlooking the Marshall "oops"!! I don''t want Paul or John thinking poorly of my Vikes...
19.gif

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/5/2009 5:17:19 PM
All right, this is from Valerie because John already knows that I''m too busy to follow football:

The beer is blech (table beer) but it''s cold... (Blech because it''s NOT Belgian - we''ve had this discussion in Seattle when you''ve ordered beer)

The nachos are hot and are likely to cause cramps later... But then again, your bum will be numb so it''s okay.

Always make sure to harass the guy sitting next to you about the team he is rooting for (unless it''s your team) and understand that when people drink they say stupid things - be one of those stupid people! They''ll blame John for anything you do when you explain that you''re from Europe.

P.S.S. whichever team John is rooting for (that''s the guy sitting next to you Paul) remember to root for the other team!
2.gif

There you go, that''s all you need to know about football.

Love,

Val
1.gif
Here are a couple of Packer jokes if you need to harass the guy next to you tonight...

A Viking fan in a bar leans over to the guy next
to him and says, "Wanna hear a joke about Packer fans?"

The guy next to him replies, "Well before you tell that joke you should know something. I''m 6'' tall and 220 pounds and I''m a Packer fan. The guy sitting next to me is 6''2" tall, 240 pounds and he''s a Packer fan, and the guy sitting next ot him is 6''5" 280 pounds and he''s a packer fan too.

Now, do you still wanna tell that joke?"
The Viking fan says, "Nah, not if I''m gonna have to explain it three
times."

Cheesehead School teacher

A first grade teacher explains to her class that she is a Cheesehead.

She asks her students to raise their hands if they are
Cheeseheads too.
No one really knowing what a Cheesehead was, but wanting
to be like their teacher, their hands explode into the air like flashy
fireworks.
There is, however, one exception. A girl named Kristen
who has not gone along with the crowd. The teacher asks her why she has
decided to be different.

"Because I''m not a Cheesehead."

"Then", asks the teacher, "what are you?"

"Why, I''m a proud Vikings Fan," boasts the little girl.

The teacher is a little perturbed now, her face slightly red. She asks
Kristen why she is a rebel.

"Well, my mom and dad are Vikings Fans, so I''m a Vikings Fan too."

The teacher is now angry. "That''s no reason," she says loudly. "What if
your mom was a moron, and your dad was a moron. What would you be then?"
A pause, and a smile. "Then," says Kristen, "I''d be a Cheesehead"

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adult men get paid lots of money to play a game for a living. If it weren''t for all those sculpted muscles encased in lycra, I wouldn''t watch it at all.
31.gif

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OMG what a game. Thanks to everyone for the messages here and on FB.

Thanks especially for the trivia. We just told the packer jokes in a downtown bar to much acclaim! And no worries about driving. Paul and I took the light rail here from the hotel so we are safe, sound and happy.

Since Paul is descended from Vikings he really go into it. Mission accomplished methinks. Great night!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/5/2009 3:37:27 PM

Please, please, PLEASE make sure he understands that true football is played outdoors and not under the domed roof that we Minnesotans have been forced into accepting!!!
JM, when I told him we were going his first reaction was "I didn''t pack any winter clothes."

No worries. I think the crowd was effective in communicating Minnesota passion.

IMG_3697-600ps.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I rarely watch Monday night football, too much other stuff to do.

That game however was a HOOT!

My wife is a long time Packers fan, and normally I am too, except when they play the Vikings. We both spent a LOT of time cheering.

I have a long suffering friend who gets despondent when the Vikes are ahead by less than two touchdowns, as he knows they will find a way to lose. He must have been a basket case most of last night...

Tell Jimmy I am so glad his Vikings won and I am glad you and Paul were there to share it with him!

Wink

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Paul looks like he had a GREAT time!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/6/2009 2:19:57 PM
Paul looks like he had a GREAT time!
9.gif
He does!!!

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
What a great pic! I''m so glad to "hear" that you all had a terrific time!

I heard Favre on the news today saying that in all his years of playing in the dome, this was the loudest game he had heard yet! We can be a very noisy crowd in there...

Speaking of - GO TWINS! Kick some Tiger butt tonight and bring on the Yankees! I was at game 7 of the 1987 and 1991 World Series when the Twins won and I don''t think I got full hearing back for at least a week...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results