shape
carat
color
clarity

Hawaii experts - please help me decide accommodation!!

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I need some advice, I'm diamond grading accommodation and it's doing my head in and I can't decide where to stay!

My Husband and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in June. We love it there, however the first two times we spent most of our time in Maui. He loves windsurfing. However this trip we will be spending most of it in Waikiki so I get to do some shopping :appl: and we will visit the big island. Hopefully we will find a windsurfing spot for him somewhere :))

Anyhow, because Waikiki is so busy, we decided it was really important to get an ocean front room, the 180 degree view of the sea, not the little pop your head around the corner and catch a glimpse of some blue.

So here's my first world dilemma. I'm weighing up between The Westin in a diamond deluxe room with a 180 sea view or the Outrigger on the Beach with a 180 sea view. Both front onto the beach.

I love Westin hotels, we stayed there in Maui and I have never had a bad experience at a Westin before. I've never stayed at an Outrigger before however. Has anyone stayed at the diamond deluxe ocean front room at the Westin or the Outrigger? I don't know if my diamond grading is in my imagination but the Westin rooms look narrower :errrr: Looking at the pictures of the rooms, the Outrigger room looks wider. Also the balcony in the Westin is a narrow one, whereas the Outrigger can fit a table and chairs.

However I presume the complex of the Westin is going to be better vs the Outrigger.

As I was writing this - I thought yes, definitely the Westin, but then when I thought about the balcony I was wondering about Outrigger again.

I know this is really first world problem stuff, and I feel a bit embarrassed/silly even worrying about this. Plus I know I am very lucky to be planning a trip and I am very appreciative of that. Writing this down is also making me think I'm making a storm in a teacup stressing between the two properties.

Though I do know that PSers are so particular about things, diamond analysis pulls out that personality trait! A 1.45 vs a 1.55 thread etc. So I thought I may be able to get some insight into diamond grading my room and accommodation!!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked them up on TripAdvisor? You'll find more firsthand, fussy opinions than you can shake a stick at. :bigsmile:

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
:lol: yes, trip advisor is great for people analysing rooms!!

Outrigger ranks about 4ish and Westin 8ish. However that's taking price into account too, many people see Outrigger as better value for money. I have read some reviews that if price were the same to go with the Westin. With parking pricing is not too different for the two places which is part of my :confused:.

On tripadvisor the Westin group also talked about the tower rooms. I looked into that too, however you don't get the 180 see view, you sort of get a bit of diamond head, some beach and maybe even a building. However the balconies are bigger. Would be a bit more as well.

Even more confusing the Outrigger group said that the non direct sea view rooms were good as well, and as I had been so set on thinking panoramic sea view that threw more of a spanner in the works!

Both groups on trip advisor did say ocean front rooms were the best in both properties too.

I ended up on an online chat agent saying I don't know what to do!!! And the conversation cut out lol.

So now I'm here, really hoping someone has stayed in one of the rooms at either hotel!!!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
In addition to TripAdvisor, I also really like oyster.com!!! It's the best for actually photos of everything in the rooms and at the resorts.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sonnyjane! I'm going to look at oyster.com you are right SO many pictures! It's making me excited just looking at them!

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
If by Westin, you mean the Moana Surfrider, then easily over the Outrigger. The Surfrider is a historical hotel. But then again being local, I've never stayed at either :tongue:

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Yes! The Moana Surfrider - Thanks for your feedback.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH and I are also planning trip to Hawaii this summer, part of which will be in Waikiki. We currently have a reservation at Westin Moana Surfrider. We also considered the Royal Hawaiian which you may want to check out. http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/

Our trip is scheduled for later than yours, so I"m interested in the suggestions provided in this thread as well as an update from you after your trip.

Another good source for travel information is flyertalk.com

Will you be using reward points at all for your hotel stay?

We are also thinking about staying at a bed & breakfast for part of our trip but haven't found any online with great reviews. Any suggestions for B&Bs would be welcome.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bliss_cathy|1398573667|3661046 said:
HI:

Enjoyable spot. Glad you are choosing an ocean view b/c the street view sides...are noisy! PS they are great pina colada's! :lickout:

Have not stayed at the other for decades, so I would recommend the Westin.

cheers--Sharon

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
misskittycat|1398573821|3661050 said:
No help on the accommodation (we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village which was great but we wanted an apartment as we have a toddler). But while you are there, I recommend eating at Stage at the Honolulu Design Centre and also Town.

http://www.stagerestauranthawaii.com/

http://www.townkaimuki.com/

Both were great options. We loved the food in Hawaii!

Thanks Miss KittyKat I will check out the food places you mentioned. Just last night we were talking about how we did find it a bit difficult to find food in Waikiki (we've stayed a short time in Waikiki once before).

Do you know of any good breakfast buffet recommendations?

I can't do the multiple quote thing, I need to learn this!

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
mary poppins|1398611850|3661206 said:
DH and I are also planning trip to Hawaii this summer, part of which will be in Waikiki. We currently have a reservation at Westin Moana Surfrider. We also considered the Royal Hawaiian which you may want to check out. http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/

Our trip is scheduled for later than yours, so I"m interested in the suggestions provided in this thread as well as an update from you after your trip.

Another good source for travel information is flyertalk.com

Will you be using reward points at all for your hotel stay?

We are also thinking about staying at a bed & breakfast for part of our trip but haven't found any online with great reviews. Any suggestions for B&Bs would be welcome.

Oh great! Someone else has booked there :appl:
Funny you mention the points, I have the SPG card, however the last few times we've stayed at an SPG hotels it's been booked through a travel agent and they don't issue points. I also cannot remember my number. I need to get into the habit of booking direct with the hotel and using the card.

If you are going for long enough, I would recommend Maui if you can. Maui is more relaxing, less people, etc. For me, Waikiki is more about the shopping, however it was where my husband and I first looked at engagement rings together at Tiffany :love: so I have fond memories of it. One of the reasons I'm being so pedantic about the room choice is that it is a busy city.

If you also find out anything about B&Bs especially on the other side of the island, please post back.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1398612819|3661216 said:
HI:

Enjoyable spot. Glad you are choosing an ocean view b/c the street view sides...are noisy! PS they are great pina colada's! :lickout:

cheers--Sharon

Thanks Sharon, oh a great cocktail is definitely a big plus!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bliss_cathy|1398642031|3661480 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Yes! :lickout: Booking beach cabanas required some small learning curve...once done, the cocktails, just, added value... :))

It is really a gorgeous spot.

cheers--Sharon

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal|1398644864|3661510 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Yes! :lickout: Booking beach cabanas required some small learning curve...once done, the cocktails, just, added value... :))

cheers--Sharon

So you recommend paying for the cabanas :Up_to_something: vs sitting by the pool or on the beach :cheeky:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bliss_cathy|1398651112|3661563 said:
canuk-gal|1398644864|3661510 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

cheers--Sharon

So you recommend paying for the cabanas :Up_to_something: vs sitting by the pool or on the beach :cheeky:

Oh I do! I found the pool area very crowded and noisy. But if you have small kids you do need to hang there...and the beach is nice , but it also gets crowded. The cabanas are the solace from the crowds that are Waikiki (also I love Waikiki for this--but not 24/7!)
Mix it up--you'll find what works! Then have a few maitai's, then go to Harry Winston down the street... :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
bliss_cathy|1398641117|3661471 said:
misskittycat|1398573821|3661050 said:
No help on the accommodation (we stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village which was great but we wanted an apartment as we have a toddler). But while you are there, I recommend eating at Stage at the Honolulu Design Centre and also Town.

http://www.stagerestauranthawaii.com/

http://www.townkaimuki.com/

Both were great options. We loved the food in Hawaii!

Thanks Miss KittyKat I will check out the food places you mentioned. Just last night we were talking about how we did find it a bit difficult to find food in Waikiki (we've stayed a short time in Waikiki once before).

Do you know of any good breakfast buffet recommendations?

I can't do the multiple quote thing, I need to learn this!

Buffets? No. We didn't go to any as we had an apartment and mostly ate breakfast in or at restaurants. It's not fancy but we liked Eggs n Things behind Ala Moana for a good breakfast. Food was delicious and there was always a wait. We did more brunchy style eating on Maui!

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
I decided to go with the Moana Surfrider, as per most suggestions here. Thank you for the responses. Not only that, they had another deal where it ended up being even cheaper than the Outrigger! For anyone interested my NRMA card, just a road side assistance card in case I get a flat tyre etc, has 3 AAAs on the back, this enables additional discounts! Ocean front panoramic view :love:

I can't wait to go shopping! Relax and have an wonderful time, eating, sleeping, shopping and the occasional cocktail :twirl:

Leave on Saturday for 9 days!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a great time!!!!!! I hope the days pass quickly until you can get there!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We've stayed at the royal Hawaiian and were happy as can be. Best bed ever. The idea for me was a great room and balcony with a really nice view but ideally you're not spending so much time there that it should weigh that much. My folks like Surfrider as well as a few others.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
luv2sparkle|1401072732|3680059 said:
Have a great time!!!!!! I hope the days pass quickly until you can get there!

Thank you luv2sparkle!

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
ame|1401074001|3680074 said:
We've stayed at the royal Hawaiian and were happy as can be. Best bed ever. The idea for me was a great room and balcony with a really nice view but ideally you're not spending so much time there that it should weigh that much. My folks like Surfrider as well as a few others.

The royal hawaiian must have been amazing. I'm glad there's lots of people that here that have stayed at the westin moana surfrider or know of people who have. Everyone in PS is fussy and has good taste :twirl:

Yes, can't wait to balance between the going out and having a beautiful room :)

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bliss_cathy|1401070444|3680042 said:
I decided to go with the Moana Surfrider, as per most suggestions here. Thank you for the responses. Not only that, they had another deal where it ended up being even cheaper than the Outrigger! For anyone interested my NRMA card, just a road side assistance card in case I get a flat tyre etc, has 3 AAAs on the back, this enables additional discounts! Ocean front panoramic view :love:

I can't wait to go shopping! Relax and have an wonderful time, eating, sleeping, shopping and the occasional cocktail :twirl:

Hey Cathy, DH and I are already booked to stay there later in the summer. Do you mind disclosing the deal you got? If it makes sense for us, we would be interested in seeing if we could change our reservation. Completely understand if you don't want to disclose here. Would be nice to have private message feature on the site.

Anyway, got me thinking I should check to see if Costco or USAA can arrange favorable reservations.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
mary poppins|1401107781|3680258 said:
bliss_cathy|1401070444|3680042 said:

Hey Cathy, DH and I are already booked to stay there later in the summer. Do you mind disclosing the deal you got? If it makes sense for us, we would be interested in seeing if we could change our reservation. Completely understand if you don't want to disclose here. Would be nice to have private message feature on the site.

Anyway, got me thinking I should check to see if Costco or USAA can arrange favorable reservations.

Hi! Technically it's cheaper than the outrigger if you take into account Valet Parking is an additional $35 or so a day at the Outrigger whereas on site parking is complimentary at the Westin.

Anyhow I had previously booked when I started this thread at the Westin Moana Surfrider and paid the equivalent of the room plus what the valet parking would have been. This was for a king bed ocean front in the diamond wing.

I'm an SPG member starwoods preferred guest and also have what we call in Australia an NRMA card, which in America is considered an AAA membership or automobile card or something. Conceirge asked if I was an AAA member and I had no idea, but I checked the back of some of my cards and saw the symbol. A roadside assist card essentially is a membership I pay for that allows me to ring if I have a breakdown, flat tyre etc and someone comes and fixes my car. It's the weirdest thing to be associated with accommodation and something I will certainly always look for now. Reservations asked me to check closer to the date to see if further discounts could be made.

A few days ago I was online, plugged in the SPG membership and AAA membership and it came up more than another 10% off! Over 9 days at the westin moana this is pretty good! Plus there was an additional x to spend at the resort as a complimentary thrown in. I rang and asked if it would be exactly the same room with the king bed and reservations they said they would do that for me! The deal was technically the oceanfront double bed rooms but because I had already booked the king bed she just allowed that to be discounted!!

Their tower partial ocean views even cheaper, and banyan rooms cheaper still, but we really wanted to have the ocean front experience.
Definitely ask them about it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
bliss_cathy said:

The royal hawaiian must have been amazing. I'm glad there's lots of people that here that have stayed at the westin moana surfrider or know of people who have. Everyone in PS is fussy and has good taste :twirl:

it was! We spent half of our honeymoon there and loved it. We want the bed and the bed sheets still to this day! It was perfectly located for us and they had transportation for ala moana center. Then we went to Maii and spent the other half on Maui.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
ame|1401129055|3680423 said:
bliss_cathy said:

it was! We spent half of our honeymoon there and loved it. We want the bed and the bed sheets still to this day! It was perfectly located for us and they had transportation for ala moana center. Then we went to Maii and spent the other half on Maui.

Gorgeous! How romantic. No wonder you splurged! I love Maui as well. What a beautiful sounding honeymoon and a perfect balance of total bliss and relaxation on Maui and a bit of excitement on Waikiki. Oh I hope the westin has transport to alamoana!!

I've always loved Hawaii. It was the first place my husband and I looked at engagement rings together, so holds a special place in my heart. I know I'll be over spending but am thinking of buying some small diamond earrings from Tiffany as that was the first shop we looked at engagement rings and I fell in love with it since so it's a special place to me. All the PSer recoil :cheeky:

I love hearing about the beautiful places people go to for their honeymoons. I hope everyone has a honeymoon, if for someone reason they postpone it I hope they have a special anniversary planned. We stayed in Bora Bora for our honeymoon, omg that was pure decadence, unbelievable how spoilt I felt. My husband organised it as I was a major stress head with the wedding and though I knew it was a destination choice I'd love to visit, I hadn't researched it much. I was in absolute awe when we flew into the island. It is absolutely stunning.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say...have a wonderful trip and please come back and post pictures for us! :wavey:

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Diamond Seeker that's very sweet :))

I should post some pictures of Bondi Beach, I live very near Bondi Beach in Sydney and should encourage tourism this way :appl:

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Bliss, I know you already decided, but I still want to tell you that I think you made a wise choice!

Although I have not stayed in that particular Outrigger, I did stay in the Outrigger in Tumon Bay, Guam for a few weeks. The hotel was nice enough with "cool" decor and a fantastic pool, but there were several negatives that I doubt would have occurred in a Westin property. I was standing in water up to my ankles every time a showered, the "free in room wifi" only worked in the lobby and only very late at night when no one else was using it, and things seemed a bit shabby if you looked close. Of course, everything in Guam is a bit run down, so that might not be fair of me to judge the entire company, but that's just my impression. I did stay there a second time because it was a good value and location, and I don't sweat the small stuff on vacation, but I would not choose Outrigger for a luxury vacation.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
bliss_cathy|1401140589|3680538 said:
ame|1401129055|3680423 said:
bliss_cathy said:

Gorgeous! How romantic. No wonder you splurged! I love Maui as well. What a beautiful sounding honeymoon and a perfect balance of total bliss and relaxation on Maui and a bit of excitement on Waikiki. Oh I hope the westin has transport to alamoana!!

I've always loved Hawaii. It was the first place my husband and I looked at engagement rings together, so holds a special place in my heart. I know I'll be over spending but am thinking of buying some small diamond earrings from Tiffany as that was the first shop we looked at engagement rings and I fell in love with it since so it's a special place to me. All the PSer recoil :cheeky:

I love hearing about the beautiful places people go to for their honeymoons. I hope everyone has a honeymoon, if for someone reason they postpone it I hope they have a special anniversary planned. We stayed in Bora Bora for our honeymoon, omg that was pure decadence, unbelievable how spoilt I felt. My husband organised it as I was a major stress head with the wedding and though I knew it was a destination choice I'd love to visit, I hadn't researched it much. I was in absolute awe when we flew into the island. It is absolutely stunning.
oh man, it was heaven. We never slept so great in our lives. We still talk about that freakin' bed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results