shape
carat
color
clarity

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My parents had them, and they had to get a pest company to come in and get rid of them. Hardy little buggers.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gasoline and a match usually does the trick.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
For the stings, have you tried straight rubbing alcohol? Like pour it on there? Soak the sting for five minutes in alcohol? Usually works for me, I don't feel a thing afterwards, and it doesn't swell. Just hurts if you rub it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every year I usually just run up to their nest, stomp my feet and swat at them when they all come flying out.
I can never remember what happens next.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh I hate wasps. My gramma had some of those humungous digger ones that are like three inches long-hell the stingers were almost 1/2 inch long. They stood around and waited until they were just coming out or just coming back in the hole and then sprayed them w/wasp spray. Killed 20 of them at least in a couple days.

I just run around and scream and wave my arms, I don't really accomplish anything.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1336350457|3188941 said:
Every year I usually just run up to their nest, stomp my feet and swat at them when they all come flying out.

That's pretty funny!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
for the stings: campo-phenique.
i am highly allergic to stings and keep a bottle in each of our vehicles, in the garage, and in the house as well.
if you get it on soon enough after the sting it will reduce the swelling.
learned this while hiking in northern california when i got stung by a ground bee and a german tourist immediately whipped out her bottle and swapped the area before i could say anything.

getting rid of the nest: there are things you can buy at the lumberyard/garden center/hardware store. their like mini smoke bombs. you have to put it into the nest at night when it is cold and the are immobile and asleep. and then run like hell. it will wipe out the nest. then you have to be vigilent and make sure when you see wasps that you don't allow them to nest anywhere near your house or garden.

about 10 years ago i unfortunately stepped into a ground nest and ran yelling and screaming to a hose as i striped off my clothing [wasps had gotten inside]. it wasn't pretty... ...both me pretty well naked and covered in bee stings. campho-phenique is what kept me out of the emergency room.

good luck.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
We get them too and I hate it! I have been stung so I feel your pain! There are traps you can buy at Lowe's. If I can find the nest then I spray at night (there are sprays that shoot far and that usually does the trick).

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
Wasps are a big problem here :angryfire:
They love perfume, bird houses, protein, garbage, pet food and compost. In the warmer months, we have remove grill grates after each use :((
Traps work but they have to be emptied daily.
Never squash a dying wasp! Pheromone will be released attracting nearby wasps.
Ivory soap to prevent them [tip from dailygreen]- rubbing a little underneath/behind patio furniture, corners, sliding doors tracks, umbrellas and garbage cans. Tied last Summer but so far, so good!
To get rid of nests we use Eco Smart Wasp & Hornet Killer, around $10. Approach the nest at night, when they are less active. Spray openings, wait 24 hours then nock the nest down with a long stick.
Good Luck!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First find out if you are allergic to the wasps you are dealing with.
If so, hire professional exterminators.

For the kind of wasps that build a small nest under the eves if your house I've read about using a Shop Vac with a long straight tube.
I did this once and it worked perfectly.

Cover as much of your body as you can.
Wear gloves and goggles.
Get everything ready and surprise them at night when they are all in the nest.

Have the vac switched on but not plugged in.
Use a long extension cord that your helper will plug in on your signal.
Quietly creep up with the vacuum off.
Put the opening of the vacuum tube very close to (maybe 2 inches) the nest and signal (maybe with a cellphone) for your helper to plug in the extension cord.

If the nest is small enough just suck the whole thing in.
If not suck in the guys as they try to escape the nest.
My shop vac was powerful enough to suck faster than they can fly so they could not fly back out the tube against the air flow.
Be sure yours is powerful; if not perhaps it needs to be emptied.

Keep the vacuum running as you spray in some poison and duct tape closed the input and turn it off.
Leave it outside overnight to make sure they're all dead before opening the Shop Vac.
Shake the vac vigorously, and listen for buzzing.

If you are opposed to using poisons, I guess you could just leave the vacuum sealed till they all die of starvation, but that seems cruel, and who knows how long that would take?

' );

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last year we had a few nests in both locales. Both DH and I were stung and man, do they hurt like heck and then get so painfully itchy! We would treat them at night when they were in for sure, with some pesticide spray as well as pour boiling water down.

Any other suggestions in terms of preventing them returning? Or dealing with them when they make a home?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My parents had them, and they had to get a pest company to come in and get rid of them. Hardy little buggers.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

iLander

Ideal_Rock
For the stings, have you tried straight rubbing alcohol? Like pour it on there? Soak the sting for five minutes in alcohol? Usually works for me, I don't feel a thing afterwards, and it doesn't swell. Just hurts if you rub it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh I hate wasps. My gramma had some of those humungous digger ones that are like three inches long-hell the stingers were almost 1/2 inch long. They stood around and waited until they were just coming out or just coming back in the hole and then sprayed them w/wasp spray. Killed 20 of them at least in a couple days.

I just run around and scream and wave my arms, I don't really accomplish anything.

lulu

Ideal_Rock

That's pretty funny!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am highly allergic to stings and keep a bottle in each of our vehicles, in the garage, and in the house as well.
learned this while hiking in northern california when i got stung by a ground bee and a german tourist immediately whipped out her bottle and swapped the area before i could say anything.

getting rid of the nest: there are things you can buy at the lumberyard/garden center/hardware store. their like mini smoke bombs. you have to put it into the nest at night when it is cold and the are immobile and asleep. and then run like hell. it will wipe out the nest. then you have to be vigilent and make sure when you see wasps that you don't allow them to nest anywhere near your house or garden.

about 10 years ago i unfortunately stepped into a ground nest and ran yelling and screaming to a hose as i striped off my clothing [wasps had gotten inside]. it wasn't pretty... ...both me pretty well naked and covered in bee stings. campho-phenique is what kept me out of the emergency room.

good luck.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
We get them too and I hate it! I have been stung so I feel your pain! There are traps you can buy at Lowe's. If I can find the nest then I spray at night (there are sprays that shoot far and that usually does the trick).

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
They love perfume, bird houses, protein, garbage, pet food and compost. In the warmer months, we have remove grill grates after each use :((
Ivory soap to prevent them [tip from dailygreen]- rubbing a little underneath/behind patio furniture, corners, sliding doors tracks, umbrellas and garbage cans. Tied last Summer but so far, so good!
To get rid of nests we use Eco Smart Wasp & Hornet Killer, around $10. Approach the nest at night, when they are less active. Spray openings, wait 24 hours then nock the nest down with a long stick.
Good Luck!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For the kind of wasps that build a small nest under the eves if your house I've read about using a Shop Vac with a long straight tube.

Wear gloves and goggles.

Put the opening of the vacuum tube very close to (maybe 2 inches) the nest and signal (maybe with a cellphone) for your helper to plug in the extension cord.

My shop vac was powerful enough to suck faster than they can fly so they could not fly back out the tube against the air flow.

Keep the vacuum running as you spray in some poison and duct tape closed the input and turn it off.
Leave it outside overnight to make sure they're all dead before opening the Shop Vac.

If you are opposed to using poisons, I guess you could just leave the vacuum sealed till they all die of starvation, but that seems cruel, and who knows how long that would take?

Ground wasp nests in lawn or gardens?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last year we had a few nests in both locales. Both DH and I were stung and man, do they hurt like heck and then get so painfully itchy! We would treat them at night when they were in for sure, with some pesticide spray as well as pour boiling water down.

Any other suggestions in terms of preventing them returning? Or dealing with them when they make a home?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

iLander

Ideal_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

lulu

Ideal_Rock

That's pretty funny!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

good luck.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
Good Luck!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wear gloves and goggles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results