shape
carat
color
clarity

Going to San Diego, would love travel suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there.

We''re bringing the family to SD next week for a full 7 days. We don''t know exactly what our plans are going to be yet except that they will include Legoland and Seaworld (for my older kid who is 3). We''ll have a sitter so DH and I will be able to get away for kid-free dinners out for 2 or 3 nights. Can anyone recommend some nice restaurants in San Diego or vicinity that will be able to take us on a moment''s notice? I welcome family-friendly restaurant suggestions too.

Also, what are the best beaches in SD? I think we''ll be staying in Encinitas so it''d be convenient to stay in that area too.

If anyone is familiar with Encinitas, please tell me all about it! What to do, where to eat, where the playgrounds are, etc.

Lastly.....(I wouldn''t be true to myself if I didn''t at least ask!) where are the best places to ogle some blingetty bling?
9.gif
Also, where are some good general shopping places?

Thanks!!!
Kristy

tlow

Rough_Rock
Hi Kristy,

My Gf lives in SD so I am there quite often...I am a little unfamiliar with Encinitias however can give you some SD insights. For the kiddies and the beach I would go to one of the La Jolla Beachs. They are all nice and way way less touristy. Pacific Beach and Mission Beach are in the heart of San Diego, however, during the summer they are really busy, dirty, slightly unsafe, etc. But it is nice to walk up and down the 3 mile boardwalk and grab lunch or breakfast. 2 Great breakfast places down in Mission Beach are The Mission and World Famous. World Famous is right on the beach.

If you are into Japanese food, there are a ton of places, however, most are so-so. There are a couple in La Jolla which are both good. Sushi on the Rocks is a popular La Jolla spot, but a little pricey. My girlfriend and I usually go to Zen Sushi in Mission Beach. It is really small so expect to wait and there are usually one or two tables of people getting wasted so I am not sure if you want to bring the kids.

For a night out, I would go into Downtown into the Gaslamp. THere are some excellent excelllent italian and french places. I can''t remember the names of the ones I have been to but goto http://www.signonsandiego.com Any of the top places listed there are almost always good.

There is a sweet Mall on Highway 8 in Mission Valley near Qualcomm Stadium.

Oh a good Mexican/trendy place is Gringo''s in Mission Beach...Atmosphere is fun and the food is good and no problem bringing the kids.

Sorry most of the places are in Mission Beach.That is where I usually end up. Anyways, hope this helps.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tlow -- thank you SO much! We happen to love Mexican and Japanese food....my mouth is watering already (shouldn''t skipped my darn dinner tonight).

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Fashion Valley Mall on Friar''s Road has the only Tiffany store (I think) and about a zillion other jewelry stores that are good for eye candy! It''s the fancier mall in Mission Valley....and people seem to get all dressed up to go shop there! I always feel out of place in my flip flops!
2.gif

Point Loma is a nice, and there are the tidepools and the lighthouse, etc...Balboa Park is also a wonderful place, and a lot of the girls from SD get engaged and married there! Lots of stuff to see and do with kids there for a day...

The beach is Coronado (over the Bay Bridge) is very nice, and it''s fun to walk around town, and Moo Time has great ice-cream (but the diner attached is icky IMHO!)...and I live there, so I might recognize your ring!
2.gif
They also make great sandwiches at the little deli/bakery next door to Starbucks...and wonderful pastries!

Have lots of fun!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
In La Jolla, a simple (decor wise) but good restaurant is Brockton Villa. It has great views of the cove. You''ll probably need reservations in the summer though. http://www.brocktonvilla.com/ I enjoyed brunch and dinner there on two separate visits. George''s at the Cove is pretty high regarded in this area, but I have never eaten there. It''s on a street with lots of bling stores, from what I remember. http://www.georgesatthecove.com/

In the gaslamp district, you''ll find lots of restaurants, but I don''t consider any of them really super fantastic. Croce''s had decent food. For a family seafood place with a view of the water, we ate at Anthony''s fish grotto. Mediocre, but at least it''s on the water. Good steakhouses in the area - have eated at Lou & Mickey''s. Standard prime steak fare. For more restaurants, go to http://www.gaslamp.org/

For a bit of a blast to the past, try visiting the Hotel del Coronado, on Coronado island. On a nice day, it''s really pretty and your kids can enjoy the beach. No need to be a guest. The sand has flecks of gold glitter in it (at least it was there when I went) so it adds to the glam! Since it''s summer, I would imagine everything would be kind of crowded though. Have a drink at their restaurant...nice views. Park is expensive (even for self park) but I smiled and joked that I owed the attendant a lot of money, and he asked if I had eaten at least $50 worth there. Then he only charged me $10 for parking instead of $38.

Enjoy your trip!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tawn and TG, this is excellent insider information. I''m going to print out this thread and bring it with me. We''re traveling with some friends of ours (another couple with 2 little kids) and will be sure to share it with them as well. I can''t believe I''ve only been to SD once in my entire life!

My DH says he hears the housing market in SD has been softening and it might be a good time to go in on an investment property there. What do you guys think?

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Some other suggestions.

1. The world famous San Diego zoo. Pandas and Koala bears! If you can see the pandas during feeding time, awesome. It''s in Balboa park, so you can hang out at Balboa park afterwards.

2. Take an open trolley tour of San Diego (not to be confused with the mass transit trolley). I think you can catch them at Horton Plaza downtown San Diego.

3. Old Town San Diego is a tourist area with lots of nice Mexican restaurants. I like Old Town Mexican Cafe.

4. Gaslamp Quarter for nightlife.

5. For fast food Mexican burritos, anything that ends in "berto". (Alberto, Roberto, Adalberto, etc...)

6. As other said, La Jolla cove to see the sea lions and La Jolla beach (nice). And the tide pools at Sunset Cliff (Point Loma) are fun for the kids to play in. And if you''re in La Jolla, drive to the top of Mt. Soledad for the view.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doh! Michelle, you just HAD to mention the GIA being by Legoland, huh? I would SO love to take a tour there! But everyone else in my party would think I''m psycho.
20.gif

So, I have another question and would love anyone''s input: I have the opportunity to choose either a rental house in Solana Beach (2 blocks away from beach) or a rental house right smack-dab on the beach in Encinitas. Both are the same price. The Solana Beach house is totally gorgeous and updated. The Encinitas place is kind of wicker furniture-ish and not as nice, but it''s right on the beach. Which would you choose? What is the Solana Beach area like....is it pretty? Quiet? Clean?

Thanks so much!!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Whatme....I cracked up when I read your tip on the burrito places.
3.gif
I will definitely have no trouble remembering that one!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Michelle. Wellll..............we''re going to take the Solana Beach house. It''s just a nicer place, beautifully furnished and totally updated. I think I''m "furniture-sensitive." If I don''t like my immediate surroundings, then it really affects my experience -- even if there''s pounding surf right outside my door! I draw the line at wicker! LOL.

I figure the ocean is just 2 blocks away, easy enough access!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I second (or third) the recommendation for the SD Zoo, Gaslamp District, and La Jolla for sightseeing and eating! Speaking of furniture, there was also a district of town known for furniture and interior design. We had a great time browsing the studios. Maybe someone can chime in with the name.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/8/2006 10:31:34 PM
Author: gailrmv
I second (or third) the recommendation for the SD Zoo, Gaslamp District, and La Jolla for sightseeing and eating! Speaking of furniture, there was also a district of town known for furniture and interior design. We had a great time browsing the studios. Maybe someone can chime in with the name.
Hillcrest maybe?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it the Cedros Design District in Solana Beach?

I hear it''s been unusually HOT down in SD lately. Of course, our rental home in Solana Beach doesn''t have A/C. Are we going to ROAST????
14.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SDL, thank you so much for all the sage advice.
1.gif
As it turns out, the Solana Beach house fell through. I was about to fax over the agreement when I asked whether there would be any construction noise in the vicinity (my daughter is a light napper) and they admitted that yes, there is construction across the street AND two doors down. Gee, thanks for telling me that up-front. I turned them down on the spot.
20.gif
I scrambled this afternoon and found a replacement....a TINY condo right on the beach in Encinitas. It was available due to a last-minute cancellation. We'll be right on the water, but space indoors will be cramped. Oh well. Serves me right for waiting until the last minute to find lodging!

DH and I will go take a look at some properties. We're not ready to buy now anyways so it's probably a good thing to wait at least 6 more months!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I love the San Diego area. I''ve been there several times on business or trips with a friend, but last year I took my family there.

My favorite areas by far are La Jolla and Coronado. In La Jolla, there are several restaurants that are wonderful. For you and your husband, I would recommend George''s at the Cove--the upper restaurant that is outdoors. It has a fantastic view (as most of the restaurants do in this area) and has wonderful food. The upper level of George''s is not super expensive. For breakfast or lunch, I''d take the family to Brockton Villa. They have good food and also great views. Another place for breakfast that we really like is the Cottage. It''s on a side street (no water view) but the food is wonderful and basic enough for kids.

In Coronado, don''t miss at least strolling through the Del. Their beach is also very nice. Sunday Brunch is wonderful although very pricey.

Another place I would not miss is a stop at the Glider Port just north of La Jolla near the Salk Instititue. It''s one of those views that just take your breath away. You really need to go. It''s free. Watching the hang gliders take off is fun too. My kids actually were mesmerized for over an hour at this spot. Pretty unbelievable for boys ages 8 and 15 at the time. Also, just an FYI...there is a beach below the cliffs at the glider port. You can get there but the climb is very treacherous and the beach is clothing optional.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely take the coastal route from Encinitas to La Jolla. Nice driving through Solana Beach, Del Mar, etc. When you drive up the hill to La Jolla, stop at the Torrey Pines state park area and look around so you can say that you''ve seen a "Torrey Pine" in person. The top of the hill is where UCSD (Univ.Calif.-San Diego), the glider park, aquarium, etc, is located. Then it''s down the hill to La Jolla beach/cove. For major house drooling, drive around Rancho Santa Fe (just east of Solana Beach/Del Mar).

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I love Sea World. The kids will love it and the adults should be fairly entertained as well.

Balboa Park has a couple museums the kids will like as well. There''s this one science one that''s pretty hands on that they should find educational and fun.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaaa!!!! All these wonderful suggestions. THANK YOU! Only one problem -- there are too many good ideas to choose from! SDL, you''re personal friends with the mayor? How cool!

The Encinitas beach house fell through (someone beat me to signing the agreement even though *my* offer was the one verbally accepted. Grrr.) and I''m back to the Solana Beach house with all the construction going on all around it. So, that''s where we''ll be.
40.gif
Crossing fingers that DD will be able to nap regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results