shape
carat
color
clarity

Gelin Abaci ring

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
The picture posted is not my ring, but one exactly like it set with a smaller stone, a .66 H VS1 diamond, my new (pre-owned) RHR ring. I got it yesterday and I am in love. It's my first really well-cut MRB, it's got hearts and arrows and it sparkles like crazy. (I am an old-cut and emerald cut person mainly) I am a lousy photographer, hence the stock photo.

I mainly wanted to report how much I love the setting. It's one of the classic, first Gelin Abaci designs, TR-241, and it has always been my favorite (along with the same one with small diamonds running along the sides)

The ring is heavy, it is 14K white gold and it is very comfortable and doesn't spin, it is so well-balanced. Perfection - stone and setting.

I also thought of you, kenny, because I know you like Gelin Abaci. You were saying how much the tension setting lets in the light, and with the quality of cut and the way it is set, I can see that in action.

gel1.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful choice ... and yours looks like it protects a diamond better than mine.
Contrats, and welcome to the tension setting club. :wavey:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous ring, skye!! I also admire the tension setting - how it gives that illusion of floating the diamond and I love being able to see almost all of the stone!

Please post pics when you receive your ring - excited to see it on your hand!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Gelin Abaci is one of my favorite ring designers. I saw the brand in person at a Chicago jeweler last spring after obsessing over any picture I could find online and visiting their website for hours on end. I am determined to get a beautifully cut 1ct diamond to have set in one of their settings. I think they are amazing works of art. Please post pics! There are so few photos of tension set rings on here.

Congratulations! Enjoy your new ring!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks very much for your kind words. Keep in mind I'm good at crappy jewelry photography so in keeping with tradition, I attached a picture here that doesn't do my ring justice, but it captures its spirit and its new friend, my recently purchased 14K white and yellow gold solid link bracelet.

gelabac1.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Delicious ring!!! I think I'm also known for crappy pictures on PS ;)) I'm sure that ring is beyond cool in person!
Love the bracelet, too. I used to have one like that, super heavy two tone. Great taste Sky :))

edited for spelling

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats,beautiful ring!.I love tension settings ... :love: :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky, don't you find a tension setting much easier to clean than a prong setting?

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, kenny, you read my mind as I was about to post how this is the only ring I can clean perfectly while it is on my hand because of the way the tension setting fully exposes the diamond underneath. It makes it so easy to clean with my soft childs' toothbrush and mild soap. :appl:

Thank you, junebug17!! =)

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
When I went this week into a high-end jewelry store in a small city, I was wearing the ring and asked them if they carried tension-set rings. This city is a very major one for my state which has low population. It is a store that carries ideal cuts and great designer brands. I was very surprised because in the past I had received good customer service from knowledgeable staff.

She said, "We don't carry tension-set rings, we don't like them. We carry styles which mimic the look which have a bar underneath the stone." I asked her why and she said, "They're not secure, the stone can get loose." My jaw dropped, it was so wrong! I asked if she ever saw a loose stone and she said no. Short of an industrial accident, the stone doesn't go anywhere. She said she didn't like the idea of all the pressure holding the stone in, that it is not reliable. I think the real reason is they don't want to mess with sending them back to the manufacturer for dealing with sizing, etc. No other store in the city is of their caliber, the rest are maul types.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results