shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you want SUPER sharp close up pics?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want super sharp super close ups you may not need an expensive macro lens after all.

I got a new gadget that has improved my close up photography.
It allows me to get more magnification or fill the screen entirely with a much smaller thing.
This means I do not have to crop in tighter later - which translates to sharper images.

It is a lens reversal ring, and costs only $40 because it has no optics.
For my system the ring I needed was a Nikon BR2A.
http://www.adorama.com/NKBR2A.html

It allows you to install a lens backwards on the camera body.
The more wide angle your lens is the more magnification you get.
IOW you will get more magnification with a 24mm lens than you'll get with a 28mm lens.

I already had a bellows extension which allowed me to move the lens around 10 inches away from the camera for relatively high enlargement.
The following pic is a full frame (not cropped) view which is the highest magnification that my old system can achieve.
The rock is of my 0.27 ct Emerald Cut Fancy Deep Purplish Pink diamond which measures 4.04 x 2.92 x 2.44 mm.
Again this is using a Nikon D7000 body, a PK-13 extension ring a PB-6 Bellows Extension which is fully extended and a 30-year old 105mm f2.8 Nikkor Micro lens. (Nikon calls their macro lenses micro. :roll: )

Next is the exact same picture file but used my computer to blow up the Argyle laser inscription. (cropping in after the pic was already taken)
Sorry I could not keep the lighting the same but notice how sharp the numbers are and the facet edges.

The bottom line for owners of DLRS who want sharp macro pics is . . . before spending the money for a macro lens consider getting a reversing ring and a cheap old wide angle lens first.
If you live near a camera store that carries this stuff bring your camera body in and experiment before buying.

That looks pretty good, but check out the next pic.
The pic below is using my new lens reversing ring, the same PB-6 bellows at the same full extension and my 30-year old 28mm f2.8 lens.
Note: this is NOT a macro lens and is available cheap since it is old and not a zoom - everyone today wants zoom lenses.
You'll get even higher mag with a 24mm and higher still with a 20mm lens.

Lastly, here is the same pic as above but cropped in even tighter using the computer.
You rarely see laser inscriptions this sharp - and to think it was not even a macro lens. :-o :-o :-o
Lens reversing rings really rock; I can't believe it took me so long to buy one.

105mm cropped in.png

28mm reversed.png

close up.png

105mm.png

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I knew about this trick but great to see the results!

I don't even have a decent camera.... My bad.

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, thanks for sharing.. Is really useful though I do not own a camera, definitely do not know how to operate a DSLR at all. But is great knowledge for all~

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is truly unbelievable! I only have a Canon point and shoot though. You should hire out to photograph jewelry for all your PS friends!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to delete this thread because people will now be able to see imperfections in the most perfect settings and all the setting makers are going to start hanging up when a PSer calls!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are focus challenged like me, then reversing lenses has one problem: it doesn't allow for autofocus or for automatic speed/shutter diameter (where you specify an f stop and the camera calculates the shutter speed or vice versa). I remember a gadget, more expensive of course, that used 2 rings, one to attach the reversed lens to the body, another that worked as an extension, connecting the electronics on the end of the lens. Fun!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1321886056|3066093 said:
If you are focus challenged like me, then reversing lenses has one problem: it doesn't allow for autofocus or for automatic speed/shutter diameter (where you specify an f stop and the camera calculates the shutter speed or vice versa).

Absolutely true.
Pursuing this clarity at this magnification is not for the faint of heart.
When you reverse a lens you give up auto focus and automatic exposure BUT fortunately this is not film.

With a digital camera you don't have to wait a few days to see how the pics came out before they can tell you how to change the settings.
You immediately see how the exposure or focus is off.
Then you can move the settings in the right direction.
This does require some understanding of photography basics.
BTW, I never use auto focus for macro work anyway.

Also I should add that not all camera bodies or lenses even allow this kind of flexibility.
Some newer lenses do not even have an aperture ring since the body sends an electrical signal to the lens to set the aperture - obviously you would have no f-stop control if the lens was backwards.
With some camera bodies they just shut down if they are not making normal contact with the lens.
I think some even flash an error message on the LCD screen , "Hey Einstein, put a lens on the camera."
Generally the more expensive DSLR bodies are more flexible and supportive of experimentation and compatible with older lenses and attachments.

It took me several tries to get the above pic, but that's par for the course with ALL my macro pics.
Don't even bother with all of this if you are the type who expects instant gratification.
You have to enjoy the time consuming process of experimentation, and learning about photography.
The mentality of "I don't have to think or learn anything because the camera does everything for me" that has put cameras into everyone's hands is not going to get you very far if you want results that push your macro photography to your equipment's limits.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kenny; Thanks for the inexpensive and obviously extremely effective lens trickery suggestions. The image of the laser inscription is the best I think I ever saw without being touched up.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
reverse the 28 on the front of the 105 on the bellows and you should be able to get 10x+ sharp and clean

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Karl.
I'm going to buy this $8 ring that allows me to do that.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/81926-REG/General_Brand_AM5252_52mm_Macro_Coupler_Male.html

10x would be awesome but according to this link I think it will be 3.75x since 105 divided by 28 equals 3.75.

http://www.peterforsell.com/macro.html

But then I could put the stacked lenses on the bellows and get more mag (perhaps that's what you meant), but I worry about too much weight damaging the front stage of the bellows or the threads of the gears.

Hey, wait a minute.
I also have a 135mm and a 200mm Nikkor, both of which have 52mm filter size.
That means I can get even more magnification. :appl:
200/28 = 7.14x (edit: according to the charts in the PB-6 Bellows manual the above pic [reversed 28mm on fully extended bellows] was at 7.6x)

Stay tuned for a pic of one Red carbon atom from Kenny. :lol:

Fun fun fun!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone is geeky enough to consider buying a bellows here is a link with the magnifications it can achieve with various lenses, forward and reversed.

BTW you don't need to buy the $40 lens-reversing ring if you have this bellows, just reverse the bellows' front stage - see manual below.
If you do this the maximum bellows extension will be reduced by the length of the lens.
If you want the absolute maximum extension with a reversed lens just do what I did, buy the reversing ring too.
You'll also get a little higher enlargement than indicated in the charts.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18913/~/using-nikon-pb-6-bellows

Next, a link to a pdf file of the owner's manual which has even more geeky info.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_pb-6_bellows.pdf

Nikon no longer makes the PB-6 bellows but you can find them used on eBay for $200 or $300 but I'd rather buy from a pro camera store that will vouch for the condition.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks Kenny, that is a great tip for us to learn by! That is now one *SHARP* new toy you have! and with all that money you saved on an expensive new lens.... you can redirect that to something lovely and sparkly --- at least that's how I'd rationalize a new trinket!

Great lesson on the lens info!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
way awesome :sun:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Kenny! :-o Your pictures were already so amazing - I absolutely can't wait to see your new pictures with this setup! :appl:

diamondseeker2006|1321884207|3066077 said:
You need to delete this thread because people will now be able to see imperfections in the most perfect settings and all the setting makers are going to start hanging up when a PSer calls!
And diamondseeker :wavey: this quote is priceless! :praise:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I didn't understand a word you just said but love the pictures especially the one with the number very close up. :love: :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY cool! You are a genius with a camera!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1321958333|3066701 said:
I didn't understand a word you just said but love the pictures especially the one with the number very close up. :love: :appl:
No problem.

I realize I'm a nerd about all this and don't expect many people to geek out along with me.
I just like learning and sharing cool stuff I've learned.
I've never understood the tendency of people with some knowledge to keep it to themselves, as if it conferred them status or something. :roll:

I post the technical stuff mostly for those in the industry who (based on what I see on a few websites) could use the info.
IMHO, good photography makes a good impression on Internet diamond customers.

Thanks to all for the kind words. :wavey:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow!!! I wan this!!! Is it something g that screws on like a polarizing thing would? So cookie! But if I'm already mental.... Maybe a bad idea!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1322001379|3067065 said:
Wow!!! I wan this!!! Is it something g that screws on like a polarizing thing would? So cookie! But if I'm already mental.... Maybe a bad idea!

Sort of, but not quite.

First you must have a DSLR.
Take the lens off.
Put the lens reversing ring on the camera body.
Screw the lens onto the ring backwards, IOW the filter side of the lens will be against the camera body.

Also make sure your camera body and lens still work when they cannot "talk" to each other via the usual contacts.
(This is not always a simple thing to determine.)

What camera body do you have?
What lens do you have?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, kenny, that is amazing!

I don't know much about photography and I don't know anything about SLRs but... goodness, that is unbelievably crisp!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1322002697|3067082 said:
ame|1322001379|3067065 said:

Sort of, but not quite.

First you must have a DSLR.
Take the lens off.
Put the lens reversing ring on the camera body.
Screw the lens onto the ring backwards, IOW the filter side of the lens will be against the camera body.

Also make sure your camera body and lens still work when they cannot "talk" to each other via the usual contacts.
(This is not always a simple thing to determine.)

What camera body do you have?
What lens do you have?
I have a few but I usually use a canon rebel xsi

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1322008384|3067155 said:
I have a few but I usually use a canon rebel xsi

Nice camera.
Which lenses do you have that work on it?

These questions are relevant only if you want me to nudge you into getting better close ups.
If that is not your desire ignore me. ;-)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol I am not at home so I have no idea. But off the top of my head I regularly use the basic one it came with and then the I think 300 something lens that I used for football from a distance. I used to have a macro of some kind but I believe I lent that to my sister and never got that back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results