Votes: 36 46.8%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For this poll timeshares do not count, and the house(s) do not have to be paid off - you can have a mortgage.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Nope! But we plan on it when we're retired! :naughty: Snowbird lifestyle, here we come! :D

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a 17 acre family farm as an investment property. Also, it provides fresh eggs and beef for us throughout the year!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did in a previous relationship, but not now.

In many ways it was nice, but over the years the birder part grew more annoying …. "Oh Crap! I left that shirt in the other house!" :angryfire:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
we dont actually own any as the bank has the mortgage over ours.. so, i guess technically no... but i suspect for the purposes of this poll, i would think that a mortgage would count as 'owning' a second home.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gregchang35|1393202735|3621507 said:
we dont actually own any as the bank has the mortgage over ours.. so, i guess technically no... but i suspect for the purposes of this poll, i would think that a mortgage would count as 'owning' a second home.

Yes, right.
Thanks, I edited my OP.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
voted...

and Kenny, i had another favour to ask in the other thread, just in case you have not read it yet.
pretty pls....

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a big cardboard box I saved one time.
Does that count???
Actuary that's the only house I do own lol

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're still paying on our home, no money for a second, and probably never will be. I like what we have, and we're constantly working on making it special. If we *could* have another, the first place we would look is Alaska.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1393204328|3621520 said:
I have a big cardboard box I saved one time.
Does that count???
Actuary that's the only house I do own lol

That made me laugh so hard Karl!!!

We'd like to pay our current house (purchased '11) off early. Land acquisitions during and after that is a plan/dream. But owning more than one house at a time is not something we're interested in. Boats? Maybe. Apartments here and there (solely for our use) probably. But we aren't billionaires and see no reason to hold multiple dwellings. Sounds nice, though!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
About 17 years ago we owned an acre in fancy Southampton NY. We were going to build a summer house to escape Florida summers. Reverse snowbirds! Sadly, we needed to sell it to pay off huge medical bills from my Breast Cancer and my oldest DS's spinal surgery. He and another kid were wrestling and he was dropped on his head he dislocated C6 and C7 and had spinal fusion surgery that resulted in a staph infection in the donor site (his hip) and we accrued over $75,000 in random medical bills!
Glad we owned the land it helped us keep our house!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We own a beach villa with some friends. So we don't own it all ourselves, but it is fully paid for!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a second home at a South Carolina beach, will probably retire there!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1393215411|3621633 said:

Really?! Can you tell me which one (or tell me the first letter)? Ours is there, too.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you talking about holiday houses which I always think of when I read the phrase "second home" or home away from home, or investment properties where you never go and stay and other people live in?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1393215993|3621643 said:

Really?! Can you tell me which one (or tell me the first letter)? Ours is there, too.

K I - a long way from NJ but we try to get there any chance we get! Hard to do lately between dh's business travel and me helping out with my mother.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I inherited with my two brothers a beach house in a lovely spot on the South Coast of Australia. We've all enjoyed many a holiday there. Although owning a property with siblings is not without complications and there may be a day where we sell it and each make our own arrangements for holidays.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1393216254|3621644 said:
Are you talking about holiday houses which I always think of when I read the phrase "second home" or home away from home, or investment properties where you never go and stay and other people live in?

Bulletproof polls are hard to write, but at this point let's say both.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
No. I have friends who do, and rent them out, and I have learned from their experiences that this type of investment comes at a high cost. I am not referring to just their finances, but also to the stress of being land lords. I would rather have one beautiful house that i live in and enjoy, then two mediocre ones--at least that is the case with them. They cannot afford to remodel the home they live in because they need to maintain their rental and always have cash reserved for the months they are without renters. I guess that in Orange County, CA, real estate is only an investment for very wealthy people.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We own our home in the UK, with mortgage almost paid off early. But we love to travel & have beautiful holidays. We have friends who own holiday homes in Europe, but they do feel obliged to travel there often to do it justice. We are still exploring the world too much to be tied to one holiday destination, as I feel we would be, but our house is very lovely & we are very happy here. When I have finished being an explorer, I may decide where I would like another base, but that would be way in the future for us.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
We have a second, but I paid cash for a foreclosure that felt like a good deal. It's on a nice lake, but the house itself is nothing to write home about.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't but years ago, my parents owned several houses at the same time for investment purposes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1393217181|3621648 said:

K I - a long way from NJ but we try to get there any chance we get! Hard to do lately between dh's business travel and me helping out with my mother.

Ok, we are at IOP. Let me know sometime when you'll be down there. It would be fun to meet up in Charleston and go jewelry shopping! We go about 4 times a year since we own it with friends and alternate using it.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I don't even own one yet. :(sad

My family however has a lot of property including empty parcels of land for development, rental properties, and apartment buildings. I think I would be more inclined to purchase a home in what some would probably consider a vacation spot. I don't do well in the cold climate I live in now, so for my SO and I, finding the end-all-be-all location is a goal we are pursuing with a lot of focus at the moment.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
one kid at Aurburn.. one leaving this summer for college (Florida thankfully) and one more to go.. no extra houes.. ;( but we are building my DH's dream home (Mr Architect is finally getting to design his own home)... and living in a skanky rental :nono: ... if that counts.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I have what is probably the smallest and cheapest second home on this forum: 400 square feet on 0.14 acres, about three and a half hours by bus from my first home. I hardly ever visit, using it mostly for storage, and I am sure it needs major repairs, but neighbors tell me the roof is still on it! It sits beside a picturesque brook in a tiny upstate village.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1393254133|3621862 said:
junebug17|1393217181|3621648 said:

Ok, we are at IOP. Let me know sometime when you'll be down there. It would be fun to meet up in Charleston and go jewelry shopping! We go about 4 times a year since we own it with friends and alternate using it.

Oh that sounds great DS, I would love that! :appl:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
We have been looking into getting a vacation "cottage" style home in Big Bear or similar mountainous area, CA so we can rent it out during the winter season (I don't ski) and use it for a summer get-away ourselves. We are still trying to convinve my brother and his wife to go in on the property with us.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results