shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a smartphone with Internet connection/data plan?

Do you have a smartphone with Internet connection/data plan?

• Yes

Votes: 39 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Do you have a smartphone with Internet connection/data p

yup. verizon unlimited. back from the ancient days when they first started it.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Why do you ask, Kenny? :confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lil Misfit|1377123318|3507539 said:
Why do you ask, Kenny? :confused:

I'm curious.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

Then, I'll indulge you. Yes, I do. Do YOU? :wink2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

An absolute necessity for me anymore!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby monster|1377122960|3507536 said:

Me too but once you switch phones they won't grandfather you in unless you pay full retail for the phone. :knockout:

My dh is switching to a different verizon phone as his smartphone is 4 years old now and he needs a faster one for work (he's going back to a blackberry). Since we're on the unlimited family plan once he switches our whole plan will change from unlimited to a specified gigabyte amount. I'm thinking we'll go to 4 GB since we collectively never go over 2. I just like the additional security of knowing we won't go over.

I'm annoyed that as a long time verizon customer (well over 20 years) they aren't grandfathering the long term unlimited data plan customers. Verizon is not cheap but they have the best coverage for what we need.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lil Misfit|1377123617|3507549 said:
Then, I'll indulge you. Yes, I do. Do YOU? :wink2:

No I just have a $19.95 old phone with no ability to even take a pic.
My plan is prepaid, 1000 minutes for $100.
So far I use about 2000 minutes a year so that's $200 per year or just under $17 a month.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1377124027|3507554 said:

Me too but once you switch phones they won't grandfather you in unless you pay full retail for the phone. :knockout:

My dh is switching to a different verizon phone as his smartphone is 4 years old now and he needs a faster one for work (he's going back to a blackberry). Since we're on the unlimited family plan once he switches our whole plan will change from unlimited to a specified gigabyte amount. I'm thinking we'll go to 4 GB since we collectively never go over 2. I just like the additional security of knowing we won't go over.

I'm annoyed that as a long time verizon customer (well over 20 years) they aren't grandfathering the long term unlimited data plan customers. Verizon is not cheap but they have the best coverage for what we need.

ITA. No customer loyalty. I've been thinking of just buying the phone myself to keep the plan. But stuck for now with my old one because of an app I really need but that doesn't seem to work on any new phone I tried.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock

Yes. My fiancé and I spent most weekends at our camp, which is surrounded by national forest. We are so far back in the boonies (less than a mile from the main highway, but two and a half miles on a narrow, winding asphalt road and almost three miles on a narrow, winding kinda gravel road) that we have no utilities and never will. Electricity is either generator or 12V battery. (We do have a water well with tank, pump works off one of the generators, and a septic tank.)

I have to be somewhat available to my students over the weekend and the only way to do that is with a smartphone with mobile hotspot capabilities.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby monster|1377125088|3507570 said:

ITA. No customer loyalty. I've been thinking of just buying the phone myself to keep the plan. But stuck for now with my old one because of an app I really need but that doesn't seem to work on any new phone I tried.

Yah, verizon sucks. I just don't think you will come out ahead buying the phone full retail but if you can find a good price on a phone and bring it to Verizon they will allow you to keep you plan as well. It won't cost us that much more to go with the 4 GB plan so I have just given up trying to figure out a way to keep my unlimited plan and know I have a phone that is covered if there is an issue. But I really dislike verizon and I would give up my phone in a heartbeat if it weren't for my dh.

I refused to get a phone until my dh just came home one day (2003 I think?) and handed me a phone and said we are now on the family plan. He said it was high time I got into this century lol. And yanno, I was really fine without it and I could be again but I swear computers/internet ruined me forever. I am not sure what I did with all my spare time before I started using the internet. It is an addiction. A true addiction and has turned me into an adult with attention deficit. I never just do one thing anymore. I seem to need that constant stimulation. I multitask constantly. Except when I am cycling. Aaaah that is bliss and I think I just figured out why...I cannot use the internet (at least easily) while I am on a bike. LOL. Anyway I digress. :cheeky:

I hope you find a phone you love where you can use that app babymonster.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

We don't. We're *thinking* about it but not sure if we want to spring for the extra money each month. Right now I just have a regular old flip phone..can take pics (don't know how) but no texting. JD can text on his-his is the slidey keyboard kind.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

Yes. It's new to me as I've only had one for about 6 months. I got my husband's 4 iPhone when he got his new 4S. He uses the Siri function a lot at work. I love having the phone. We saved money by disabling texting...but it is nice that texting is free from an iPhone to any other iPhone, so I end up texting quite a lot for free. The iPhone and iPod are the only Apple products I've ever owned.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, because it is necessary for my work.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, and I hate it. I don't talk on my phone very often, I text my husband and take thousands of pictures and check the weather from time to time. Plus I have a box from Verizon hooked to our cable because our signal is so bad at home, so when I am home it doesn't count against our plan.
$17 a month sounds great!!

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock

Nope, we're too cheap. We were on a Verizon plan with basic phones for 2 years and were pretty happy, but when that contract was up we decided to change to another company that would be a little cheaper. Well, it turns out they changed their discount program right after we signed up, so it ended up being about $2 a month cheaper, coverage is pretty spotty and our phones are garbage. Thankfully this contract is up in a little over 3 months, so we will be switching providers (need to start shopping around I guess) and I'm pretty sure we will be giving in and getting smartphones/data this time. We are in our mid-20's, so I suppose we should keep up with technology a little bit.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock

We still have this too...and I'm not sure if it will be cost effective for us to swtch to a new plan! Collectively we use 8-10GB/month - especially when he's travelling for work (a month at a time!!) his phone has tethering, while it's an additional $30/month...it's still unlimited data!!! Our bill would skyrocket if we switched plans....incidentally - we just had this discussion yesterday. He wants a new phone when it's time to upgrade, i told him he'd have to pay full price!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Duh!! How else do I check PS every hour? Hurry up PS admin! I'm still waiting for the PS app!!

braga123

Brilliant_Rock

No...I don't facebook either or twitter or instagramm....pricescope is my only tech. vice

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

I do. Here are some of the reasons why:
My family and I can text, but the phones offer speak features so if I need to send a text, but cannot type, I can talk instead.
I like the camera features. It makes one less thing I have to carry places, unless I REALLY want to take my canon (scenic vacations).
I can access my email and fb regularly.
I can access twitter when I'm bored.
I don't have to have an alarm clock at home.
I don't have to have a big daily planner that I carry around all the time. It's right here in my pocket.
The same goes for an address book.
I don't have to buy an extra journal to keep track of my eating journal. I can journal it on my phone.
I no longer have to carry books with me on road trips. When I was younger, I'd have a bag each trip that weighed as much as me in books. I like variety. If I get tired of one book, I have three on stand by. I can either access on my phone, or carry my kindle now. Less back pain.
To take email a bit further, I can have proof of purchase for pick up at a store location through my email without using paper, which costs trees their lives.
accessing email and text options quickly also allows me quick communication with my vets and farrier.
If I need to transfer monies quickly for SO for any reason, I can do so from my phone.
I can gain quick access to nutritional information.
I can keep a grocery list on my phone, once again eradicating the need for paper
Stores are now using phone and e coupons that can be used through your phone, reducing paper use again.
It makes for a great quick reference for any number of things (google)
Silence is golden in the woods, which means the little click click of buttons makes it hard to text in the woods when we're hunting. You might wonder why you'd be texting in the woods. We all check in to make sure we're okay. There are venomous snakes, bees, bears, and even panthers. We always check to be sure we've made it safely to our stands. If someone sends off a shot, we check to see if they need help. It used to be, you risked your entire hunt just to check in via walky talkie and then phones with buttons that could be somewhat loud. The touch pads offer much more silent features, making it easy to check in to make sure everyone is safe without risking being heard by deer.
Last but not least. I can play sudoku.....without paper!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I do but I'm in Canada and my service provider is Bell. If I am in a wifi zone, I can use imessage texting and internet surfing w no charge, when I'm in the US. Outside of a wifi zone... just cut off a limb and be prepared to PAY thru the nose with the insane roaming charges.... but that's an international issue, not a data plan issue.

I love the iphone and data capabilities! Wouldn't be without it....

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I'm the lone "other, please explain" answer so far. Personally, I carry a 4 year old slider phone with no internet. I've taped the back panel on since it's broken, and I don't really want to get a new phone, even though it would likely be free. However, I also have a smartphone issued by my employer, since part of my job is to travel to our branch locations, and I'm salaried and therefore 'on call' 24/7 (in theory, but in practice, I almost never get calls) and am expected to check my e-mail when out of the office (I have a flexible schedule so am usually out of the office by 3:30pm but check my e-mail until about 6pm). Carrying two phones feels kind of silly, but is has positives, too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yep. Mega data plan. Its a mobile share covering many devices but I am the primary user since I mostly use it all to maintain business. I have a bigger plan that we need, so I am debating going down a hit. DH and his mom are on my plan also, including their iPads. DH handles some of my business calls sometimes, as well as some of the email, and my dad and mom also handle some of the email as well, and do the accounting. But they have their own phone plan.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes. I've had a smartphone for several years now, and my husband just got his first one this year. They are convenient.

I will express my discontent over how easy it is to break the touchscreen. It's really easy! I just got a free upgrade and shattered the screen in two weeks. :(

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have Verizon and I have 5 lines..so no I don't have a smartphone, my oldest son does have a I-Phone and internet connection but we have one of the older plans that allows unlimited usage for him...if we upgrade any of the other 4 phones to a smartphone then our plan will change we would have no choice, my current plan runs around $180 a month for all 5 lines, if we upgrade it will jump closer to $350 to $400 a month, so I have no plans anytime soon to change anything!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, and when it is time to renew again, I will be shopping around HARD for a better deal.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm another one grandfathered in on the Verizon unlimited data plan. I actually access the internet way more than I use the phone and I don't text as that's not covered by my plan. This plan is perfect for me so I'm not changing until forced to when my my iPhone dies on the vine. I haven't found anyone else with equivalent coverage so I think I'm stuck with the big V even when I do have to change plans.

I don't know who I hate paying more: Verizon or Comcast. I'm stuck with both and that drives me nuts.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yup, Sprint unlimited data for iphones, and Verizon on my ipad. When I got the ipad, Sprint wasn't offering a ipad plan.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have my iPhone and iPad and two daughter's iPhones on a Verizon 4 gb plan. It is more than we use as we use wireless internet a lot at home. I resisted for a long time and changed about a year ago when the iPhone 5's came out because the youngest daughter wanted the iPhone for her birthday. I now love it and couldn't imagine not having it. I love being able to check email anywhere but I use the iPad more for internet browsing when we travel. Verizon by far gets the best service in this region, and I cannot tolerate poor reception, so we'll be with them forever, I suppose.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We just switched plans yesterday. My dh bought a blackberry q10 and I got a Samsung S3. I didn't feel the S4 was worth the extra money and hopefully the S3 is as good as people have said it is. No more unlimited data but we went to the 4GB plan and I think (hope) that will be sufficient. For the first time ever I can text now if I want to since our plan includes unlimited text but we shall see. It will have its uses but I don't anticipate texting taking the place of calling or even emailing for me. This 4GB plan is costing approximately the same as our unlimited and we have the addition of unlimited text (and phone).

Any recommendations on a tablet? It's between Galaxy tab or ipad (mini or regular size) and I am leaning towards ipad because I need something easy to use. I would be using this on the go when I am not home instead of my laptop and I would be adding it to my data plan.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results