shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you get miffed...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...when you post advice or suggestions, and a poster doesn't respond or doesn't say thanks? Or do you consider it par for the course on internet forums and thus it doesn't bother you?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It totally depends on what it is, really.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
No. I follow their lead and bow out of the conversation.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1391015245|3603390 said:
...when you post advice or suggestions, and a poster doesn't respond or doesn't say thanks? Or do you consider it par for the course on internet forums and thus it doesn't bother you?

I don't get upset if a person doesn't say anything because often times there are tons of replies to an original post and my view is the person is reading all the replies but only knows what to say, in return, to some of the comments.

I don't mind typing a reply and not getting a response. I do think it's par for the course. Actually, the only thing that really bugs me and will warrant bowing out is if an argument starts up. It's sad to think of the hours people waste fighting online. :errrr:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Nope it doesn't bother me. I think most of the time when you are new and posting on forums it can be overwhelming. Plus I hardly ever go back to check to see if I got a response or not.

What DOES piss me off is when I'm looking for advise on something serious, and people make blanket assumptions/ judgements based off their crazy personal lives (meaning not mine) so they automatically put me into the category of being a bad wife, parent, person etc. That PISSES me off. Just because I'm asking a question don't assume anything please and thank you! :evil:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
It depends on the subject and who it is. I really wish PS had a notification system (like FB) where we could know if someone responded to us or quoted us.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't bother me when people DON'T reply, but I really appreciate it when people DO.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Laila,

No , I really don't mind. On some posts there is a back and forth between some people. On others I tell myself we are playing in tandem, just answering the OP. What is annoying is people looking to criticize others and start a big to do. I post my say and move on. Sometimes I go back and sometimes not.

I am so glad you posted Laila. I saw your new rings and went back to take another look and couldn't find them again. I wanted to tell you how beautiful they look. m Your choices were wonderful. That double halo is to die for, but better yet, to live for. Many happy and healthy years with those rings,.

Annette

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't bother me. I know when I start a thread, I try and thank everyone for their replies generally, but do not post a response specific to each as some here do (I marvel at these posters; they are probably the same ones who have a clean house and are very good at sending out thank you cards).

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't get upset about much of anything on online forums. Most of us don't know each other and therefore, the opinions/thoughts/suggestions/advice shared here is nothing personal. I have seen many discussions go horribly wrong because people take things personally.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1391025263|3603572 said:
It doesn't bother me. I know when I start a thread, I try and thank everyone for their replies generally, but do not post a response specific to each as some here do (I marvel at these posters; they are probably the same ones who have a clean house and are very good at sending out thank you cards).

I try to be one of those people, and I fall down on the job in almost every category ... but on here, particularly, sometimes perfect becomes the enemy of good. Like, I started a thread asking for tips on how to celebrate my birthday: got a boatload of wonderful, sensitive, caring responses; and keep trying to carve out a full hour or so to reply. Does that happen? HAH!

Does it bug me when others don't reply to *me*? Sometimes, though it depends on context. In RT it bugs me if I make the suggestion, the poster ignores me, a gentleman PSr says the same thing, and there's an instant conversation. What am I, invisible? :errrr: On the other hand, in Hangout or generally opinion-based threads, it only bugs me if the OP ignores any and all things that don't feed into the narrative they want to believe. Those always make me wonder why people bother posing it as a question when what it really is is the desire for support. I can provide either, just don't confuse me!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope.

When I start a thread, I try to reply to as many as I can but there is so much going on that doesn't always happen. When I reply to a question I may or may not get the time to go back and see if there was a response. I figure we are all here to be a positive part of this community and don't mean anything negative if no reply given. People are also busy with the rest of life so may not have as much time here as they would like.

Oh... And as most of my current PS time is on my cell phone as I get from one class to another or up to the car, it is far easier to read than post. This whole 5 words visible per line and miniature keyboard makes typing difficult.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's always nice to be acknowledged, but I don't expect it, so I guess I don't feel slighted if someone doesn't respond to my post. It is *just* the internet.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1391020111|3603486 said:
Laila619|1391015245|3603390 said:

I don't get upset if a person doesn't say anything because often times there are tons of replies to an original post and my view is the person is reading all the replies but only knows what to say, in return, to some of the comments.

I don't mind typing a reply and not getting a response. I do think it's par for the course. Actually, the only thing that really bugs me and will warrant bowing out is if an argument starts up. It's sad to think of the hours people waste fighting online. :errrr:

Yes, that's a good point, MC.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1391023770|3603548 said:
Hi Laila,

No , I really don't mind. On some posts there is a back and forth between some people. On others I tell myself we are playing in tandem, just answering the OP. What is annoying is people looking to criticize others and start a big to do. I post my say and move on. Sometimes I go back and sometimes not.

I am so glad you posted Laila. I saw your new rings and went back to take another look and couldn't find them again. I wanted to tell you how beautiful they look. m Your choices were wonderful. That double halo is to die for, but better yet, to live for. Many happy and healthy years with those rings,.

Annette

Aww, thanks Annette, that's so sweet of you!! :praise:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1391025570|3603580 said:

I try to be one of those people, and I fall down on the job in almost every category ... but on here, particularly, sometimes perfect becomes the enemy of good. Like, I started a thread asking for tips on how to celebrate my birthday: got a boatload of wonderful, sensitive, caring responses; and keep trying to carve out a full hour or so to reply. Does that happen? HAH!

Does it bug me when others don't reply to *me*? Sometimes, though it depends on context. In RT it bugs me if I make the suggestion, the poster ignores me, a gentleman PSr says the same thing, and there's an instant conversation. What am I, invisible? :errrr: On the other hand, in Hangout or generally opinion-based threads, it only bugs me if the OP ignores any and all things that don't feed into the narrative they want to believe. Those always make me wonder why people bother posing it as a question when what it really is is the desire for support. I can provide either, just don't confuse me!

OMG, that one drives me slightly nutty too, Circe! Or when you say something, are ignored, and then a vendor comes along and says the exact same thing and OP replies only to them. I know the poster isn't consciously doing it, but still...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha!

I try to thank everyone by name, even if it's just a simple thanks. I feel so bad if I miss anyone. When it's a big thread with a lot of replies, it gets difficult though.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1391022305|3603530 said:
Nope it doesn't bother me. I think most of the time when you are new and posting on forums it can be overwhelming. Plus I hardly ever go back to check to see if I got a response or not.

What DOES piss me off is when I'm looking for advise on something serious, and people make blanket assumptions/ judgements based off their crazy personal lives (meaning not mine) so they automatically put me into the category of being a bad wife, parent, person etc. That PISSES me off. Just because I'm asking a question don't assume anything please and thank you! :evil:

Really, people do this?! That would irk me too!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Yes, people do that and I think it's a perfectly normal thing to do given the circumstances here. This is an online forum - we don't know each other and we often get very few details about one another and/or the topics at hand (so assumptions about other members is common). Blanket statements, initial reactions/judgements are normal in my opinion. Also, making statements based on one's personal life, is normal too. We all think of things in terms of our own experiences, so we tend to apply those experiences to those around us.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yes, they do. Occasionally it seems like they're writing a whole short story based on heaven-knows-what fiction. It makes me growl too, but I shrug & think, "You silly idiot."

I don't mind if someone doesn't respond specifically to me. Maybe what I said helped them, maybe it helped another reader, or maybe nobody. It's only internet chat, after all. I have run across the rare OP who never once responded to anything I wrote, but did to others in a thread, over a few years. Makes me wonder what I did wrong but doesn't make me angry.

minousbijoux said:

Minou, I love you! You made my day! :lol: :D

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does depend on the context and who the poster is... If I take the time to write out a thoughtful long reply I do appreciate a response back only if it is to say thanks but it doesn't usually upset me if I don't get a reply. Though if the OP responds to everyone else and ignores my post I might not be so quick to respond to another thread by that poster but I do give the benefit of the doubt because they could have just missed my post. However if it happens again well then I just don't read that poster's threads again.

ETA:

JewelFreak|1391035379|3603703 said:
Yes, they do. Occasionally it seems like they're writing a whole short story based on heaven-knows-what fiction. It makes me growl too, but I shrug & think, "You silly idiot."

I don't mind if someone doesn't respond specifically to me. Maybe what I said helped them, maybe it helped another reader, or maybe nobody. It's only internet chat, after all. I have run across the rare OP who never once responded to anything I wrote, but did to others in a thread, over a few years. Makes me wonder what I did wrong but doesn't make me angry.

minousbijoux said:

Minou, I love you! You made my day! :lol: :D

--- Laurie

Laurie, I think there is someone on this forum who ignores most PSers who aren't in her specific clique so I definitely wouldn't take it personally. Not sure we are talking about the same person and I don't know her IRL but she sort of comes off as a snob here IMO. She's probably nicer IRL.

Minou-I try to respond to everyone when I start a thread but believe me I am not one of those perfect people at all. I agree with Circe-perfect is the enemy of good and I am a lot less perfect these days haha. Just don't come over my house without warning. Lots of dust accumulating these days lol.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1391035979|3603713 said:
It does depend on the context and who the poster is... If I take the time to write out a thoughtful long reply I do appreciate a response back only if it is to say thanks but it doesn't usually upset me if I don't get a reply. Though if the OP responds to everyone else and ignores my post I might not be so quick to respond to another thread by that poster but I do give the benefit of the doubt because they could have just missed my post. However if it happens again well then I just don't read that poster's threads again.

This is how I feel.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1391036206|3603718 said:
missy|1391035979|3603713 said:

This is how I feel.

Ditto.

ETA: Actually, I have to take that back! I do get annoyed when someone posts a question in RT that is answered, then starts a new thread for the exact same question... In those cases when I can be bothered to respond it's to suggest doing everyone the favour of actually reading one's own thread.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't let it bother me, as I don't usually check to see if my post/opinion/whatever has been acknowledged.

DK :))

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1391041414|3603790 said:
I don't let it bother me, as I don't usually check to see if my post/opinion/whatever has been acknowledged.

DK :))

True. I'll go back and check the post if/because If I'm interested in the conversation...so the more "involved" the more likely I'll notice if OP responded/acknowledged...but if it's just a quick question/answer thing I may not ever check.

jramy278

Shiny_Rock
I don't get miffed if someone doesn't respond to my suggestions or experiences. However it does bother me when I ask questions and don't get a response ever. Makes me wonder if I am saying something so obviously stupid and I don't even see it! That's why I prefer to read silently vs. posting actively :(sad

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Doesn't bother me 99% of the time. I often don't revisit threads that I have written on once, so I end up not knowing sometimes if I was acknowledged.

If I put a large effort into something, and really invested into someone's project with Photoshop, then I might feel differently. In general, though, I don't this.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Im terrible about thanking individual people for a comment, but I do try to say thanks to everyone for their thoughts, and am grateful that I get any responses at all....I think if I wanted a response from a particular person I would ask for as much. I don't always post on threads even if I have something to say. Sometimes someone else has already said what I would. Sometimes I am in a read only mode, sometimes I don't have time, or even may not check in for a few days and miss a thread entirely.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jramy278|1391050556|3603927 said:
I don't get miffed if someone doesn't respond to my suggestions or experiences. However it does bother me when I ask questions and don't get a response ever. Makes me wonder if I am saying something so obviously stupid and I don't even see it! That's why I prefer to read silently vs. posting actively :(sad

Aww, noooo. I hope you post more! Of course you aren't asking anything stupid.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results