shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you find that it's easier to see grime in larger diamonds

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
Before I got my 1.8 ct H&A, I never saw grime (those dirty, oily spots) on my ring diamonds as I kept them very clean, or so I thought. I know that my pendant and earring diamonds are definitely filthy since they don't get the regular daily cleaning as my ring diamonds. But I don't see grime on the pendant and earring diamonds too, just that they are less sparkly. When I got the 1.8 ct, I started seeing grime under strong clear lightings. Then I realized that my daily soak-in-detergent water cleaning isn't as thorough as I thought previously, just that the facets of previous diamonds were too small. I do have a emerald/asscher cut which I don't wear so no grime to spot. Recently my mum gave me a 2.5/2.6 ct RB, and I could see these dirty, oily spots more easily. Do you find that it's easier to see grime in larger diamonds?

At what carat do we start seeing such spots? Still sparkly even with such dirty spots, but I get irritated till I get them cleaned. Want to upgrade pendant and earring diamonds but concerned I will feel the same way. Assuming we start seeing grime at 1.5 ct, then I will make sure my pendant and earring diamonds are not more than 1.5 ct each since these won't be cleaned daily, not even monthly :shock: :o

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Do you find that it's easier to see grime in larger diam

The larger the surface area of a diamond the more likely you are to see spots. I don't think there is any magic carat weight that suddenly starts to show such. Diamonds are grease magnets and to keep them sparkling you must keep them clean! It really takes very little time each day to do this - even with a pendant and earrings. I also would not wear my ring to do household chores or apply hand lotion. Soak your pendant and earrings in warm water and Dawn. They will clean up nicely. I really don't know any size diamond that will be all it can if it's not clean.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock

I regularly notice grime and other nastiness on my 1.04. I don't clean as often as I used to :oops: (it's more work, since I used to work at a jewelry store and cleaned well at each shift). I also notice it on my earrings, which are 1.3ctw, and in my 1ctw 3stone. I think it all depends on you visual acuity, and sensitivity to it (if you're looking for it, you're more likely to see it).

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock

I didn't see the spots on my old 0.9 ct. Yet you can see grime in your 0.7 ct earring. So this shows it depends on individuals. I am ok with knowing my pendant/earring diamond is dirty but I just don't want to see the spots as the spots get me irritated. I know I'm weird :lol:

manderz said:
I regularly notice grime and other nastiness on my 1.04. I don't clean as often as I used to :oops: (it's more work, since I used to work at a jewelry store and cleaned well at each shift). I also notice it on my earrings, which are 1.3ctw, and in my 1ctw 3stone. I think it all depends on you visual acuity, and sensitivity to it (if you're looking for it, you're more likely to see it).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results