shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you buy multiples of the same clothing?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I have 6 of the JCrew Teddie Dress in 4 different colors. It fits me well, is so easy to wear, doesn't wrinkle easily, and works with both flats and heels. I didn't know if this dress would ever be offered again, so I bought as many as I could find in my size. I have a few other repeats too, especially amongst jeans and leggings, but nothing as egregious as my little collection of Teddie dresses. I don't often have time to shop, so when I find something that fits well, I usually go ahead and buy an extra. What about you? Do you repeat your basics, or your favorites?

jcrew_teddie.jpeg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes Yes YES.
i'm a short round woman so when I find something that fits and/or looks good on me I buy it in multiple colors.
I learned a long time ago that if I didn't do that, well, later I wouldn't be able to replace my old item.
and sometimes i'll buy 2 of the same color!
I wear basics and I change the look with jewelry and scarves.
works for me.

eta: that is basics. I haven't worn a skirt or dress in probably 10 years...... :o

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cute dress! I can see why you'd go for the multiples.

I don't have the need for multiple dresses, but I definitely have gone that route with basics. Jeans, pants, tanks/camis and cardigans. Unknowingly, I bought two colors of the same pull over sweater last year. The second was on clearance a month or two after getting the first, so a bargain, and clearly, I liked the design.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I always buy multiples. Especially if I find the perfect fit in a classic, wear-with-anything top or sweater. Or if I like the cut of a dress and it comes in more than one print or color.

No one really notices, if you don't wear each item the same way each time. And don't wear "the twins" back to back.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Underwear and sox, yes.
In fact, I wait for a sale at JC Penny and buy those in bulk at $300 a pop and they last for eons.
Also, the sox all match and wear out at the same time.

All of my pants and shirts are from thrift stores, so no.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely do this. It's tough to find things I like, and when I do, I buy it in multiple colors.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
All the time. If I like it, I usually get a few in different colors.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
aljdewey|1385333191|3562199 said:
I absolutely do this. It's tough to find things I like, and when I do, I buy it in multiple colors.
Me too!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
HA!! I am so guilty of this. I do it all the time. Great question, I always wonder if other people do this too, lol.

This habit of mine extends into all sorts of things. I've done it with household items, bedding, blankets, etc. Even jewelry sometimes...not as much as I used to though (with jewelry - still do it all the time with clothing, etc). For example I would buy a cuff, then buy the exact same cuff in a slightly different metal (rose gold vs yellow gold). I've done similar things a few times with rings and earrings. But I've tried to make myself stop doing it with jewelry as that seems to be too much, lol.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

In the same purchase and only once; the same Zanotti pump albeit different pattern.

However, Dolce and Gabbana tend to repeat their cut and yes I do buy the same "style" of dress--but different pattern--the next season. So, essentially, yes.

cheers--Sharon

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most definitely! Especially if other colors go on sale!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I do with shirts sometimes, but especially with shoes. It's so hard to find comfortable ones & they are never around when I want more, so I buy 2 or 3 pairs in different colors when I luck on shoes that fit well.

And WOOL sweaters! What happened to WOOL? Not cashmere, not cotton, not synthetic. WOOL. Several years ago somebody decided that American women wanted only cashmere sweaters. Uh, no thanks! Not with dogs, cats, & a regular home life -- and an income I'd rather spend on gems than cashmere. Other materials aren't warm in winter. I went to the men's dept. at Macy's once & asked for wool -- the salesman looked at me like I came from Mars. Finally, now some sweaters are merino wool, thank God! I bought 3 in different colors

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For sure! I adore dresses but struggle to find ones that look good on me. My bust is fairly large in proportion to the rest of me, so fitted dresses that fit me everywhere else are way too tight up top, but if I go a bigger size to fit the girls, it's too saggy baggy everywhere else. When I find a dress that fits me well, I get it in every colour available! :bigsmile:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I do all the time! Especially the basics, like cotton v neck tees and camis, and well-fitting pants. I can rarely find multiples in well-fitting jeans, though. Seems like the best ones I find are always on clearance, and there's only one in my size in the entire store. Also, comfy heels. I'll buy them in all the colors they make, but that seems like it's only ever black and brown.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the time. I have multiples of many of my dresses in the same and different colors, pants and boots and shoes. When I find something I love I buy more than just one. It also helps me because I don't usually have to pack clothing/shoes when I go from one home to the other.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uh, yes. I have a "uniform." Everyday is some combination of a lace trimmed cami, a vneck target tshirt and a cardigan. Literally, EVERY. DAY. I have figured out how to dress it up and down.

I have like 30 of the same old navy cardigan in tons of colors, and then duplicates of the colors I love...I also have (gulp) 88 of the same lace trimmed cami from Lane Bryant also in a ton of colors, and duplicates of colors I love and regularly wear. Same for the Target boyfriend vneck...My closet is sad.

When I find jeans or pants I like I buy at least 2, and usually with work pants buy one or more in each color.

Shoes I only pretty much wear navy converse slipons. I have about 4 or 5 unworn pair in backup and will likely "open" a new pair here soon since the ones I am killing now are literally coming apart.

It's beyond just clothes though...makeup stuff, hair stuff, house stuff..etc. My husband calls it hoarding, but since I usually use all of them at the same time, except MAYBE one, I don't agree.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love, love, love been buying multiples of the same clothes and have been doing it for many, many years. I have a hard time finding clothes that fit and I hate shopping, anyway. If I find something I like, I look for the same size and different colors. I've done this, usually during sales or at outlet stores, with work and casual shoes, bras, underwear, camisoles, suits, shells for under suits, dresses, shirts, pants and sweaters. I've gotten the same color in tanks and socks.

DandiAndi|1385343385|3562267 said:
For sure! I adore dresses but struggle to find ones that look good on me. My bust is fairly large in proportion to the rest of me, so fitted dresses that fit me everywhere else are way too tight up top, but if I go a bigger size to fit the girls, it's too saggy baggy everywhere else. When I find a dress that fits me well, I get it in every colour available! :bigsmile:

DandiAndi, I have a similar problem of sorts. A lot of stores don't carry my small size, so the smallest size they stock is baggy on me. I find that shirts, dresses and suits that are one size too big can easily be tailored. As stated above, I usually buy (whether an item fits or not) during sales or at outlet stores, so for the most part I purchase clothes at a discount. In my experience, good discount price + tailoring = about the same as or less than full price. Therefore, I find it worthwhile to get a one size-too-big item tailored. Having a good seamstress or tailor is invaluable, especially one who can deal with lined clothes. I've used this method while living in three states. Dry cleaners with sewing services usually suffice. Dressmakers will tailor but generally are more expensive than dry cleaners.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. If I find something I like I will buy it in multiple colors.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do. When I find something that looks good and fits well, I stock up and buy it in a few colors.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
DandiAndi, I can't stand not to comment on your avatar -- cuuuuutest baby I ever saw!!! You should order another one of those.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do so for basics (trousers, sweaters and shoes) but stop at two each even when they have different colours.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yep yep yep - I joke that I have Batman's closet. An awful lot of it is Michael Stars black shirts and Hudson jeans - if I know it fits perfectly and fits most occasions, sign me up! But I also do it with items I particularly love in various colors ... like I have Fluevog Munsters in both black and burgundy, I have their Guillietta booties in crimson and purple, and methinks I forsee the Elizabeths in green and grape. I can stop anytime I want to?

fluevog_munster_black.jpg

fluevog_munster_red.jpg

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, yes, and yes. Pretty much my entire wardrobe is a double, triple, or (gulp), quadruple of something else. I buy everything in multiple colors, double of multiple colors, and the same thing year after year. I only wear dresses and I have a (fabulous) large behind and a very small waist, so nothing ever fits me. My tailor jokes that I pay her mortgage every month.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I have done this, but then I've gone off said item and ended up with multiples of something I don't like that much anymore!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
liaerfbv|1385395622|3562532 said:
Yes, yes, and yes. Pretty much my entire wardrobe is a double, triple, or (gulp), quadruple of something else. I buy everything in multiple colors, double of multiple colors, and the same thing year after year. I only wear dresses and I have a (fabulous) large behind and a very small waist, so nothing ever fits me. My tailor jokes that I pay her mortgage every month.

Liaerbv - you only wear dresses and you have a large tailor's bill - are you a screen goddess or a top model? Or perhaps an aristocrat? Your life sounds hugely sophisticated! I think you need a sterling silver purse mirror :Up_to_something: Moi, I live in jeans and have never visited a tailor in my life!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1385396844|3562534 said:
liaerfbv|1385395622|3562532 said:

Liaerbv - you only wear dresses and you have a large tailor's bill - are you a screen goddess or a top model? Or perhaps an aristocrat? Your life sounds hugely sophisticated! I think you need a sterling silver purse mirror :Up_to_something: Moi, I live in jeans and have never visited a tailor in my life!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If only! I work at a large corporate law firm and my office is business formal attire. I find suits and pants in general extremely uncomfortable, so I wear dresses everyday. I'm also terrible at matching clothes but it's hard to mess up a dress and a cardigan! I live in Florida, so out of work I'm in sundresses and sandals year round.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely! I have a crazy number of J Crew blazers (I'm embarrassed to say how many, but it's somewhere between 10 and 20 :oops: ).
I have many pairs of a particular style of Christian Louboutin heels. I also have a handful of Tory Burch cardigans in various colors. When I find something that works, I often buy multiples.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I have 3 pairs of the same sequin sandals in 2 different colors, and 3 variations of the Cynthia Rowley Pia pant.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
If we had the room I probably would. I seem to be on a mission now to see how few clothes I can have.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results