shape
carat
color
clarity

Did you date a certain "type" and did you end up with that "type"?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I''m just curious because of all the Anderson Cooper talk. I''ve always like the refined scholarly type of guys, and the brainier the better. I never really dated jocks, I like them slim and on the geeky side....but when I met dh, I kind of got the best of both worlds. He''s very athletic, very manly looking, AND he''s a brainy chemical engineer!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''m with you, Jaysonsmom. I like them brainy and geeky. I''ve never liked jocks or "bad boy" types. I married my type (a mathematician). I also feel like I got the best of both worlds because while I don''t like jocks, I am outdoorsy and want an physically active partner. DH is athletic (mountaineer, runs marathons, etc.). I don''t know if I''m capable of being attracted to other types...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Meh, I wouldn''t have known a good man if I''D sat on him. Fortunately, my husband decided I was the right lady and decided to catch and keep me. The guys I dated were... well, pretty worthless. So, no. I THANKFULLY didn''t end up with the type of guys I was originally dating. Whew!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did NOT end up with my type. I dated preppy boys with more style than me! I liked pretty boys with cocky attitudes. Liked blue eyes and light brown hair. Very white bread future tie wearing types.

I so did not marry that. My husband has the worst style sense, he''s mexican and he''s an engineer which is too sheldon and not enough patrick jane lol

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always dreamed I''d wind up with someone blond and blue-eyed - that did happen.

I dated really preppy, pretty boys who weren''t good for me. I wound up with a preppy pretty boy who is good for me. So in that sense, not at all!

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
I was really into the skater, rocker, tattooed, sarcastic, artsy guy. I ended up with a yuppie, nerdy, engineer who has more pairs of khakis than I can count.
9.gif

I always liked older guys (while I was in high school- I look back now and wonder what kind of guy would date a GIRL)..

Anyway, I liked football players... then I liked the bad boy, tattooed artist type.

I''m engaged to a history/ political nerd, but he''s sexy as heck :D

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, I've dated a variety... but usually was attracted to darker eyed/haired guys with a slim/lanky build...

Ended up with FI who is blond (shaved head but blond nonetheless), blue eyed, and your muscular/stocky military build, soooo yeah, haha!

We match though, ha, I'm blond(ish), blue eyed, and muscular/stocky for a gal! In law school once while studying, a girl poked her head in the room and asked if we were twins, or at least brother and sister!!
28.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah for the most part I did! I love guys with blue eyes, dark hair and pale skin and that''s exactly who I married! I never really had a certain personality type. I dated bad boys and nerdy boys (and in between) before I met my husband. Interestingly enough, the biggest a-hole I dated was on the nerdier side!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
LMAO. Um. Nope.

Let's see. I dated all over the board, in pretty much every way. Short, tall, and a multitude of ethnic backgrounds. DH and I laugh that I ended up marrying someone with almost identical origins.

Personality... oy. Baaaad choices there for a while. I had a hard time finding a quality guy, and had an abusive relationship in there too.
15.gif

Thank God for the hubs. He is also a total geek, and was convinced that he had to have me and didn't give up until he did. He likened our courtship to the wall of Jericho. Walk around it long enough and it will fall down, LOL.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 12:47:52 AM
Author: geckodani
LMAO. Um. Nope.

Let''s see. I dated all over the board, in pretty much every way. Short, tall, and a multitude of ethnic backgrounds. DH and I laugh that I ended up marrying someone with almost identical origins.

Personality... oy. Baaaad choices there for a while. I had a hard time finding a quality guy, and had an abusive relationship in there too.
15.gif

Thank God for the hubs. He is also a total geek, and was convinced that he had to have me and didn''t give up until he did. He likened our courtship to the wall of Jericho. Walk around it long enough and it will fall down, LOL.

Ha, my husband did the same thing! He basically MADE me date him! (And of course I''m glad he did!) I was actually never big into dating and was perfectly happy being single when my husband came along and forced me to fall in love with him!
9.gif

That''s funny, my fiance asked me over and over and over to date him. When I finally said I would, he said that was going to be the last time he was going to ask
5.gif

Oh, and I''ve ALWAYS had a think for tall men. rawr.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LMAO. Um. Nope.

Let''s see. I dated all over the board, in pretty much every way. Short, tall, and a multitude of ethnic backgrounds. DH and I laugh that I ended up marrying someone with almost identical origins.

15.gif

Thank God for the hubs. He is also a total geek, and was convinced that he had to have me and didn''t give up until he did. He likened our courtship to the wall of Jericho. Walk around it long enough and it will fall down, LOL.
LMAO. Here too. I often think he has the patience of a saint when it comes to me. Thank god for stubborn men.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/24/2010 2:28:18 AM
Author: Gypsy

LMAO. Um. Nope.

15.gif

LMAO. Here too. I often think he has the patience of a saint when it comes to me. Thank god for stubborn men.
Yeah, we had basically the same situation. DH tried for FIVE YEARS, and one day it finally paid off! LOL!
3.gif

As far as a "type" is concerned . . . I don''t think I ever really had a type. But I do now: DH! He''s definitely my "type"!
30.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
I was always into guys that looked like if a fight broke out, I wouldn''t have to do the fighting. And ones that were practical and smart as well. I married just that. He''s perfect for me.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like guys who look capable-like April said, if I fight broke out, they could handle themselves and take care of it. I dated a guy JD refers to as Howdy Doody, a guy JD refers to as Man Thong who thought incredibly highly of himself. I also dated a few of my friends (including JD) this group by far being the best looking and the best ever, b/c they''re my friends. Dated a cowboy, dated a guy who looked like Johnny Depp but was abusive. Then stayed in my circle of friends and married JD-a big mean looking bald guy with tattoos and very much my type.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 9:10:58 PM
Author:jaysonsmom
I''m just curious because of all the Anderson Cooper talk. I''ve always like the refined scholarly type of guys, and the brainier the better. I never really dated jocks, I like them slim and on the geeky side....but when I met dh, I kind of got the best of both worlds. He''s very athletic, very manly looking, AND he''s a brainy chemical engineer!
I like the same type as you - I was always attracted to tall, thin intellectuals with glasses. My husband fits the bill, except he''s also more athletic (not skinny), and he usually doesn''t wear glasses - now that he''s 38, though, I convinced him to get some glasses for driving, because I love them on him, but he almost never wears them. I''m hoping that in 2 more years he''ll need reading glasses!

Even though DH is the physical type (and logical/intellectual) that I always date, he''s not as agressive/assertive as the other guys I''ve dated. I was with a string of litigators before, and they are generally more forceful and agressive.

DH is reserved and analytical (he has a BS in electrical engineering and an MBA, and he''s a Libra), but he''s not "fiery" like I am, or my previous partners. Everyone tells me that he''s good for me, though, because he balances me, and since this is the longest relationship I''ve ever been in, I guess they''re right
emwink.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Author:jaysonsmom
I'm just curious because of all the Anderson Cooper talk. I've always like the refined scholarly type of guys, and the brainier the better. I never really dated jocks, I like them slim and on the geeky side....but when I met dh, I kind of got the best of both worlds. He's very athletic, very manly looking, AND he's a brainy chemical engineer!
Did we marry the same person??

I've also always dated geeky brainy guys, but I was attracted to athleticism too (which is odd, because I'm am far from athletic). At my college the engineering guys were often involved with crew or bike racing, so it wasn't too hard to find guys that fit this description. I've also always been attracted to tall slim guys, rather than shorter more muscular types. Like NEL, I've never been attracted to any other type, so all the guys I've dated have roughly fit this mold.

I married someone who is all of these things (and a chemical engineer like me!). DH is incredibly smart and nerdy, but also by far the most athletic person I've ever met. The boy can pick up a sport for the first time and beat people who have been playing it for years.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2010 10:24:08 AM
Author: elrohwen

Did we marry the same person??

I''ve also always dated geeky brainy guys, but I was attracted to athleticism too (which is odd, because I''m am far from athletic). At my college the engineering guys were often involved with crew or bike racing, so it wasn''t too hard to find guys that fit this description. I''ve also always been attracted to tall slim guys, rather than shorter more muscular types. Like NEL, I''ve never been attracted to any other type, so all the guys I''ve dated have roughly fit this mold.

I married someone who is all of these things (and a chemical engineer like me!). DH is incredibly smart and nerdy, but also by far the most athletic person I''ve ever met. The boy can pick up a sport for the first time and beat people who have been playing it for years.

I think we did marry the same guy, he picks up new things so easily! Since we got married, he''s started surfing, golf, snowboarding, and it all came so naturally to him, in a day he was up and having fun!

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
no way.

i thought i''d end up with a nerd, skinny and pale.

instead i got a motorbike-riding, bungee-jumping adrenaline junkie! with very sexy hair and body
3.gif

ok, so he''s got a PhD but god knows how, coz he''s the least nerdy (and most fun) person i know!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep I definitely ended up with my type. I love tall men (over 6ft) with dark hair and dark eyes. I also like skinny men and I do like a man that is a bit nerdy. DH is all of the above.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I always liked tall, lanky, slightly nerdy academics...I married a not so tall, stocky, slightly nerdy sports nut
3.gif

couldn't be happier!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I did not marry "my type" [fortunately!}

My type was a guy with dark hair, thin athletic type. I lived along i NYC and dated a lot of them. I worked with a reat guy who had red hair and beard--I used to tell him he looked like a lumberjack. We got went together to a Bruce Springsteen concert...I though we were going as friends, but he had a different idea. I had a string of bad luck/time with the guys I dated and started spending more time with my husband--and realized he was LIGHT YEARS better than any guy I had dated. He was thoughtful, considerate and generous. It took a bit of a time for me to realize that even tho he wasn''t my "type" he was exactly what I needed.

29 years later I STILL sometimes tell him he''s not my type

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My only other very serious relationship was a five year relationship during college and after, and we were engaged. He was a bodybuilding pharmacist, a fierce partier, and half Mexican and half Pakistani. (AKA: Extremely dark and handsome.) DH is an athlete, so not at all bulky, really health-conscious and not into the party scene, and he's as white as they come. Also extremely handsome.
9.gif
The two *definitely* don't resemble each other at all, though.

All of the men I've ever been attracted to have been incredibly intelligent, original thinkers. I can't compromise on either of those things.

Physically, I've always been attracted to athletic types over muscular. (Think soccer players instead of football players.) I just always ended up dating taller muscular guys because there aren't a lot of smaller athletic guys who are secure enough to date a 5'10" woman with a passion for very high heels.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I liked jocks and slightly nerdy types, and I ended up marrying the latter.
9.gif
If I''m being very honest, I kind of wish my husband was more into athletics but he''s not. He''s more of a computer/video game kind of guy (he works in IT and he loves to play NHL Hockey on his XBox). I''ve never been interested in bad boys. I was always pretty much a rule follower, and I wanted someone who was similar to me in that regard.

The funny thing is, if my husband and I had met in high school, I don''t think I''d have given him the time of day. He''s changed a lot since then, and if you knew him now, you''d never believe what he was like back then. He used to be into heavy metal, and he and his friends were into wearing heavy metal t-shirts and hanging out in their garages playing music. He was a guitarist in a few bands, and he once had aspirations of being a guitar rock god.
9.gif
Yeah, I''m SO not into that, and I''m glad he changed!

joxxxelyn

Shiny_Rock
I am EXACTLY like you, Jaysonsmom. My fiancee is slim and whip smart, but he''s also quite good at soccer and other sports. I''ve never liked huge ego guys or jocks, but I found a truly smart guy who is also fit and athletic. It''s perfect for me and he feels the same way. He needed a girl who was creative, innovative, and good at music, but also had her feet FIRMLY planted in the ground (Me!). I think for very intelligent people, finding the right mate is difficult because we tend to be very dynamic. I suspect you are in this position too. I''ve noticed there are proportionately more bright people on this site than most.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2010 9:24:46 PM
Author: Gypsy
Meh, I wouldn''t have known a good man if I''D sat on him. Fortunately, my husband decided I was the right lady and decided to catch and keep me. The guys I dated were... well, pretty worthless. So, no. I THANKFULLY didn''t end up with the type of guys I was originally dating. Whew! [/QUOTE

Sweet post.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Well, I usually ended up dating a42holes and d87che bags, so...No. I did not end up with that type at all. DH is never a jerk (to me anyways), although some other people might think he''s kind of an a$3. But, that''s mostly because DH is pretty quiet around those he doesn''t know, and he also likes to joke around a lot and be a wise ass.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results