shape
carat
color
clarity

Catherine Middleton outfit confuses young students

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
This is terrible! She was panned by school children!

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20111120/casual-kate-middleton-confuses-kids-111120/

I'm posting this here because a discussion about Catherine Middleton came up on the royal jewels thread in the last few days. The thread took a tangent away from "royal jewels" and turned toward a question about whether Catherine Middleton waited around for Prince William. This discussion might have started because of a long running complaint that Catherine Middleton doesn't put her hair up very often. Both of these subjects revolve around whether Catherine Middleton seems too young for her age.

I went to Google to research how Catherine Middleton spent her time prior to getting married but got distracted as soon as I typed in "Catherine Middleton" and found this news story at the top of the page. :o

"A woman who had come to the school to collect her three-year-old brother told The Mail on Sunday newspaper: "The children had been told by the headmaster, Mr. Miller, and the deputy headmaster, Mr. Murphy, that a real-life Princess was coming to the school.

"They were so excited and were all told to wait in the car park to see her. "When she came out of The Art Room after the visit, she posed for a picture and waved at the children.

"Some of the little ones were very confused. They were saying things like, 'She doesn't look like a Princess. Where's her dress?' They didn't believe it was the Princess they had seen on the television."

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20111120/casual-kate-middleton-confuses-kids-111120/#ixzz1eQpjz7tx

'She doesn't look like a Princess. Where's her dress?' :lol:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Aw, that's very sweet.

Personally I'm a big fan of Catherine Middleton and I love the way she dresses. I did think she might have done something a bit more constructive with her time before getting engaged - being Waity Katy isn't really a good career path. She's got a degree in History of Art from one of the top Universities in Britain and I'm sure there are lots of places she could have worked had she put her mind to it.

I have a little bit of a suspicion that working for her parents made it much easier to take time off for trips here and there with William and attending events...

However, fair play to them and her. I'm sure she'll work very hard in her current role and as our future Queen and I wish her nothing but the best.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1321962947|3066717 said:
Aw, that's very sweet.

Personally I'm a big fan of Catherine Middleton and I love the way she dresses. I did think she might have done something a bit more constructive with her time before getting engaged - being Waity Katy isn't really a good career path. She's got a degree in History of Art from one of the top Universities in Britain and I'm sure there are lots of places she could have worked had she put her mind to it.

I have a little bit of a suspicion that working for her parents made it much easier to take time off for trips here and there with William and attending events...

However, fair play to them and her. I'm sure she'll work very hard in her current role and as our future Queen and I wish her nothing but the best.

I agree with everything you said Pandora. I also like Catherine. She really seems to love William. I love seeing the affection shown between them. I wish them every happiness.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Imdanny|1321960049|3066705 said:
"Some of the little ones were very confused. They were saying things like, 'She doesn't look like a Princess. Where's her dress?' They didn't believe it was the Princess they had seen on the television."

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20111120/casual-kate-middleton-confuses-kids-111120/#ixzz1eQpjz7tx

See, now, this is why I not only wear my "This is what a feminist looks like" tee-shirt, but why I bought one for my dad.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1321974415|3066773 said:

See, now, this is why I not only wear my "This is what a feminist looks like" tee-shirt, but why I bought one for my dad.

Hi Circe, buying a tee-shirt for your dad with a feminist sentiment would have helped in this particular situation? I'm not following. :confused:

I thought it was funny because it's absurd. I can't imagine children actually said, "She doesn't look like a Princess. Where's her dress?" The "Where's her dress?" part seems especially absurd, as if these children noted to themselves that she had been wearing a dress but that it went somewhere, somehow. I simply can't imagine school children in the US dressing down (no pun intended) a woman for not wearing a dress. Maybe it's different in the UK?

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Imdanny|1321996593|3067000 said:

Hi Circe, buying a tee-shirt for your dad with a feminist sentiment would have helped in this particular situation? I'm not following. :confused:

I thought it was funny because it's absurd. I can't imagine children actually said, "She doesn't look like a Princess. Where's her dress?" The "Where's her dress?" part seems especially absurd, as if these children noted to themselves that she had been wearing a dress but that it went somewhere, somehow. I simply can't imagine school children in the US dressing down (no pun intended) a woman for not wearing a dress. Maybe it's different in the UK?

Well, I guess "princesses" always wear dresses, in the movies/television. Then they saw a Cate wear a princessy wedding dress... I guess if I was little and was told a princess was coming but then wore regular clothes, I would have said where is her crown, big poofy dress, and horse and carriage!? haha. But then again, I was REALLY into Cinderella :cheeky:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought it was funny simply because it is absurd. I can't imagine children actually said, "She doesn't look like a Princess. Where's her dress?" The "Where's her dress?" part seems especially absurd, as if these children noted to themselves that she had been wearing a dress but that it went somewhere, somehow. I simply can't imagine school children in the US dressing down (no pun intended) a woman for not wearing a dress. Maybe it's different in the UK? :???:

I think a "This is what a Princess looks like" t-shirt would have come in very handy in this occasion!

I don't think it's any different in the UK than the US. As a young American child I would have probably expected a fancy dress if I was told a princess was coming to visit. It's conditioning. Halloween outfits for princesses have crowns and huge dresses. When little girls dress up to play princess they get out their mother's jewellery, put tin foil on their heads as a crown, and put on a fluffy tutu skirt. Disney shows princesses, after the rags part of course, in these great gowns - think of Sleeping Beauty and Snow White. At the end, when they either became princesses or married a prince they had amazing gowns! I love Belle's yellow one best!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately the kid was "educated" by Disney.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My 2 year-old thinks that the bride at every wedding we go to is a 'Princess'.

She even went up to a Sri Lankan girl in a fabulous sari the other week and asked if she was a 'real life Princess'.

Until you are over a certain age, Princesses exist in the pages of books and on television and they all wear long dresses, crowns and lots of nice bling. Princesses do NOT wear jeans and a jumper when you are 5.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Anybody remember the story (i don't know if it's true because I read it in Kitty Kelley's bio) about Jacqueline Kennedy bringing the Empress Farrah of Iran to meet a group of school children with her?
The children all got upset because the the "Shahbunny" (Shahbanou) was not wearing a crown, so they didn't believe she was really royalty.
Had the Duchess dressed up too much for the school visit, there are those who would have been after her for spending too much money on clothes and having at her for being insensitive while Britain has a bad economy. Everyone goes on about how well dressed Princess Diana always was nowadays, but when she was alive, she regularly got slapped at for either spending too much on clothes--or for wearing the same outfit too often. You just can't win.
As for what Kate did before marriage, wouldn't that be between her and the Prince? If he wanted a career woman, he could have got one (like his Uncle Edward did). Not every woman wants to have a 'career' before marriage, during marriage or after marriage, maybe Kate is the lowkey type and maybe William likes her to be that way. As stated above, they will certainly work the heck out of her now that she is royalty; doing a few things here and there in the family business in a relaxing way may have been a good thing for her before this major life change. Careers are not all there are to life, you know. JMHO

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

No, dude - he already has said tee, because I think it's important to undermine preconceived notions about gender roles and expectations. Like Addy said, in her case, "This is What a Princess Looks Like!" would have been more to the point!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black Jade|1322011986|3067202 said:
Anybody remember the story (i don't know if it's true because I read it in Kitty Kelley's bio) about Jacqueline Kennedy bringing the Empress Farrah of Iran to meet a group of school children with her?
The children all got upset because the the "Shahbunny" (Shahbanou) was not wearing a crown, so they didn't believe she was really royalty.
Had the Duchess dressed up too much for the school visit, there are those who would have been after her for spending too much money on clothes and having at her for being insensitive while Britain has a bad economy. Everyone goes on about how well dressed Princess Diana always was nowadays, but when she was alive, she regularly got slapped at for either spending too much on clothes--or for wearing the same outfit too often. You just can't win.
As for what Kate did before marriage, wouldn't that be between her and the Prince? If he wanted a career woman, he could have got one (like his Uncle Edward did). Not every woman wants to have a 'career' before marriage, during marriage or after marriage, maybe Kate is the lowkey type and maybe William likes her to be that way. As stated above, they will certainly work the heck out of her now that she is royalty; doing a few things here and there in the family business in a relaxing way may have been a good thing for her before this major life change. Careers are not all there are to life, you know. JMHO

+1. I certainly would have worked for the family business in that situation. I like her a lot.

As others have said Danny, the children were expecting Cinderella. I think that was precious!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Black Jade|1322011986|3067202 said:

Well, she's just signed up for a life-long career... :bigsmile:

The criticism from the Press and many people here was because as the potential future wife of the future King of England she became a role-model - whether she liked it or not. Sitting waiting for her knight in shining armour to sweep her off her feet and marry her was not seen as a great message to send to young girls.

No-one expected her to become a lawyer or any kind of big career, but appearing to do nothing didn't go down well - it was only after these criticisms appeared in the Press that she started working for her parents.

liarudd

Shiny_Rock
aw kind of cute i can see why little girls would say that since the media plays such a huge role on perception...

Kate seems alright though, but I def. think her sister stole the show @ her wedding.....

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I don't see the big deal?

Children do have some preconceived notions of what things should look like and be like and that is due to their interactions with cartoons, media, stories and "age appropriate" mediums. Royalty in this day and age isn't something you are exposed to much, and the roles of royalty isn't something discussed with many children I believe? Even if your country Does have a queen/princess.

As an aside, I know of TONS of adults who believe rabbits should be fed with carrots (they'll die), and that they should be lifted by their ears. They aren't children either. They had a number of decades of life to learn otherwise yet still remain wrong.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results