shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you freeze milk? (Off-shoot of my coffee maker thread)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I copied this from my other other thread so the question doesn't get lost...

Can you freeze milk?

I currently use the International Delight French Vanilla single serves for my coffee (http://www.amazon.com/International-Delight-Vanilla-Creamer-serving/dp/B00284TRPA/ref=pd_sim_gro_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G1TP9QMQ1087H629HB9) because… well… I’d rather poke my own eyeball out that go to a grocery store. I order these off of Amazon in the gigunza box and they last me for MONTHS. But if I had a milk frother maybe I could get some milk. The problem is I would not use very much of it, and I don’t want to go to the store very often (translation: almost NEVER). Could I buy pints of milk and freeze them and just throw one in the refrigerator on Fridays so they would be ready for use on Saturday morning… ?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Can you freeze milk? (Off-shoot of my coffee maker threa

Well, I haven't personally done it, but when I was a kid my friend's dad was refrigeration truck mechanic for Borden, and he got frozen milk for free (slightly damaged cartons) from the Borden walk-in deep freeze. So they always had several gallons of frozen milk at home. (Fudgecicles and icecream too! Mmm!) So I've never known of any reason NOT to, although I wouldn't do it over a couple of months of course. There are likely guidelines for doing so out on the web somewhere, but I'm thinking it's safe....

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I used to freeze it when I was young and budget conscious. Bought it by the gallons on sale and froze it. Freezing can change the texture and waters it down it a bit. For frothing purposes, that texture change might not work so good but try it with a pint and see how it goes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, you can freeze milk but it will taste a little and look a little different.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock

There is a possibility it may outgrow it's container.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee, you could order from Oberweiss. I checked their site and couldn't find a minimum, just a $2.99 delivery fee. A glass half gallon bottle of whole milk is $3.69, gets delivered in an insulated cooler. They also have a lot of other items so you could pick up some more groceries from them.

If a half gallon will take forever to drink, you could definitely freeze it. I'd look for some good freezer containers (check canning supplies on amazon--Ball or Mason makes some you can freeze) and do that. You do have to leave a little room for expansion, that's true.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, milk can be frozen. It doesn't keep very long though after defrosting. You need to use right away after defrosting. Plus, as others noted, texture changes. I'd recommend mini packets of milk. They are shelf stable, keep for a long time and don't require refrigeration. I usually buy these in bulk on amazon but Costco and regular supermarkets stock these as well. I give these to DS to take to school but lots of my single friends love using them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EUV76SY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1413912391&sr=8-1

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby monster - that's BRILLIANT! Seriously! I think I can get "shelf stable" milk at Costco in small packets and that would solve all of my problems. Did I say this already? Brilliant!

monnie - I love Oberweiss (especially the chocolate peanut butter ice cream!!!) but I don't know how I'd get a delivery since I live in a gated community and work outside the house several days a week. I could try to *schedule* a delivery but it's not uncommon to get called away at a moment's notice and then they might leave it and I would come back to find the homeless many who patrols the neighborhood walking around with my Oberweiss box in his shopping cart...

crown, chrono, matata, ksinger - good points about the expansion (translation: the biggest mess I can even imagine inside my freezer... YIKES) and the texture changing. Thank you!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry, Dee, didn't realize you live in a gated community. How do you get amazon packages while you're away, or do you schedule them according to when you'll be home? Not sure of how all that works. Anyway, seems you've found a solution in packets and that's cool! Best of luck with those and whatever coffee maker you choose! Cheers, I'll be over two Fridays from now for wine and obviously coffee in the morning on Saturday. LOL :wavey:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Monnie, we have a mail room that the USPS has a key for, and Fed Ex and UPS usually manage to get let in by a resident, but it's iffy so I wouldn't want to chance it with Oberweiss.

And YES, wine, coffee, and anything else -- come on over!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results