shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling people who know about hair - straightening?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve just got a new heat protection spray, which says it should be "sprayed lightly onto each section of hair before straightening". If I do that, do I wait for the spray to dry completely on each section, or do I just go right ahead and run the straighteners through, ignoring the sizzle?

40.gif

So my question is: is the "sizzle" good or bad?

Also, my hair is naturally very thick and wavy/curly. Sometimes I blow-dry it roughly first, and then straighten it; other times I leave it to dry naturally and then straighten it (it straightens pretty well, although I need to spend longer and be firmer doing it). Which is better for your hair? Part of me thinks avoiding two lots of heat must be good, but if it means I have to be more heavy-handed with the straightener, would that cancel out the benefit of avoiding the blow-dryer? By the way I only do this max twice a week, and my hair is in good condition.

Any thoughts most appreciated!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
The less heat the better, so whichever method involves less exposure to heat overall is best. It also depends on what kind of straightener you''re using, both as to how much damage it could cause and to whether you should let the mist dry first. Some straighteners are okay to use on ever so slightly damp hair; others would fry it off your head! I very rarely bother to straighten my hair, and when I do, I usually only straighten my bangs, so I have an el cheapo Conair straightener that I got for $15 at Wal-mart. Fine for me, but it''d be brutal for someone who straightens their hair regularly or who has difficult hair to straighten. For someone who straightens their hair regularly and has difficult hair to get straight quickly, a higher quality straightening iron is a must. Many of my friends have a Chi, and they''re expensive, but MAN, are those things awesome! My best friend has a head full of super curly, coarse hair, and with her Chi, she only has to make one swipe per strand to get it straight, so it''s much less stress on her hair than what''d happen if she tried to straighten her hair with my Conair! If you don''t already have a Chi, I highly recommend one. This is also the brand that most professional hair stylists use, at least in my area. Hope that somewhat answers your question!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sizzling is bad. It's comparable to frying your hair like bacon.

You want your hair dry when flat ironing.

FWIW, I flat iron my hair daily and use a T3. It was around $200 and it works very nicely!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''ve straightened my hair for years and I''ve FINALLY found an affordable product that works great! I use a product called Chi Silk Infusion. Recently I bought a new flat iron and it came with the product. I''ve purchased more of the product for only $10! I let my hair dry quite a bit on it''s own and then blow it dry. Then I put the product on (which is a liquid but just in a pump). It absorbs pretty quickly but I don''t let it dry all the way. Then I use my iron and put a bit more product on when it''s done. My hair is extremely wavy/curly and very thick and coarse. This method doesn''t seem to damage it at all.

I''ve used many sprays and they seem to have a lot of alcohol in them and that usually dried my hair terribly. As I recall if I ironed when it had dried completely, it didn''t really work. So I had to iron while still damp and watch the steam roll.

swl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 12:41:32 PM
Author: MC
Sizzling is bad. It''s comparable to frying your hair like bacon.

You want your hair dry when flat ironing.

FWIW, I flat iron my hair daily and use a T3. It was around $200 and it works very nicely!

"It''s comparable to frying your hair like bacon"<<-haha that''s just too funny

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! That''s really helpful. I''ve got an expensive ceramic straightener which is kind of the UK equivalent of Chi - I had cheaper ones before and definitely agree the quality limits the hair damage. Also my expensive one only heats to 180 degrees C, unlike my previous one which I had to put on 210 just to get the hair straight - not good.

So, I''m hearing sizzle=bad, but bit of steam rolling=ok?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2009 2:57:34 PM
Author: LilyKat
Thanks guys! That''s really helpful. I''ve got an expensive ceramic straightener which is kind of the UK equivalent of Chi - I had cheaper ones before and definitely agree the quality limits the hair damage. Also my expensive one only heats to 180 degrees C, unlike my previous one which I had to put on 210 just to get the hair straight - not good.

So, I''m hearing sizzle=bad, but bit of steam rolling=ok?
Did you get GHD? They are marvellous! If so did you buy it online? I am thinking of getting another one.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I did, Lorelei! I used to have a Babyliss pro230, which was good, so I was hesitant to pay so much more for the GHD - but it really does make a difference. (sitting here swooshing my hair around). I ordered it online for £99 - not via the GHD website but I did call them first to check the place I bought it from was an official online retailer. No problems so far.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Normally you spray very lightly with this, so it dries down quickly then you flat iron. I use it, and it works very well with my hair, which isn''t fried
2.gif

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Sizzling is bad, steam is not. Steam is just the product evaporating off of the hair. It has done its job and isn''t needed anymore. What i''ve found that works best is a gel that I put in before I blow my hair dry, then it''s all dry when I go to straighten it. I think it''s VO5.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results