shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying for resale value?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you buy pieces for your jewelry collection, do you think about resale value at all? Do you buy stuff you know you'd be able to sell fairly easily and for a good price? Or do you not care about that at all? And did you buy your e-ring with resale value in mind?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think about that at all. I hope I never have to sell any of my jewelry. When I buy it's what I love and what I want to wear without any thought as to if it will bring me the same or more in value back as I would with a financial investment. For me, jewelry is an investment in my aesthetic enjoyment and the pleasure I get in having and wearing each piece.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Laila619 said:
When you buy pieces for your jewelry collection, do you think about resale value at all? Do you buy stuff you know you'd be able to sell fairly easily and for a good price? Or do you not care about that at all? And did you buy your e-ring with resale value in mind?

Yes, yes and no, and nope, going in order.

I like to get the best price because sure, on the off chance that I ever NEED to sell, best have the possibility (given that my family survived - or for a large part, didn't survive - the Holocaust, I know it's massively paranoid, but I find portable wealth comforting). Not to mention that it nets me more bling per occasion! YMMV in how you shop, of course: in our house, it's ready, set budget, GO! so I tend to maximize. I think if we had a system of setting a target purchase - a one carat, say - then I'd be working to minimize how much I spent. The results might overlap frequently, but the psychology seems completely different.

Do I buy stuff I'd be able to sell easily? Yes and no, because while I try to go for the best quality that I can find and the most unusual, irresistible pieces, I admit I'm usually an outlier. So while I assume others would also enjoy the coolness, I think it's only for a certain (small) value of "others." I buy weird shizznit. I am going to go out on a limb and say there's a vanishing number of buyers who'd jump at my lorgnette, no matter about the french cuts or the Cartier or the whatever.

And as for the e-ring ... nope, at east not consciously. It probably seeped in as a default state given all of the above, but I'm was too sentimental to ever sell that particular piece. Probably different for people who go in knowing they might want to trade up, though ....

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1393204420|3621521 said:
I don't buy very much, so no. I bought my diamond based on upgrade ability, in terms of who I got it from. Same with my secret project. My studs I just got I didn't really plan on upgrading or reselling later. My wedding band from Tiffany's again, don't really have plans to sell or do anything like that with.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't buy thinking about its resale value yet I suppose in a way, I do because I make sure that it is of good quality to begin with and that I don't overpay for it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I buy what makes me want to sing. That requires good saturation, acceptable clarity, excellent cut & color, a size I like. Plus affordability, the icky reality. If I can re-sell anything for a portion of its original cost, it's nice, but that never figures into the decision to buy.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think of resale value at all. I figure if we found ourselves needing money, I'd be better off not counting on having to sell something and hoping for a good price. I also figure that if we were in such strong need of money I am probably already very upset over something really bad and having to pick stuff to sell would just add more hurt.

I do think about whether I'm getting a good price for the piece though. I don't see any reason to pay more than is reasonable for something. I also love a good sale and will wait to buy stuff until then.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I only buy high quality things that I love and plan to hand down as heirlooms. But I am a bargain shopper as much as possible. I love buying very expensive settings for 75% off, for example! Then I have to pay retail for a nice stone, and that kind of balances things out! If there was a disaster and I had to sell, then I probably would do okay on items bought like that. But I don't think I'd be buying luxury items if we did not have adequate emergency money and retirement money, so I am not expecting to need to sell. It can happen every now and then that you find something you like even better than something you have and decide to sell and older item to buy the new item. In that case, it pays to have bought at a good price to begin with.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Now I do. It's part of the evaluation of just what am I getting for my money, and it is my money because I am single. When I was younger, I just bought what I liked and didn't think about whether or not it would retain or increase in value. Now I do.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
No I dont. But that being said I do look for value try to pay less than it is really worth so if heaven forbid I need to sell I won't be killed in the process. But like Diamondseeker said plan on having most of my stuff handed down to my DD. I did gift both my sisiter and my cousin pieces that were my moms that were sentimental. NOW if I could convince my cousin to gift me the 3ct big sisister of the stones in my avatar!!
IF we needed money I have some pieces I could part with and do OK.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
For the most part I plan to give my jewelry to my daughter at some point, so I don't think about resale on my purchases. I do value trade-up policies for center stones. I consider the stones to be more fungible and I'm unlikely to want slightly different sized versions of the same type.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For diamonds -- yes. Other jewelry, no.

Since my niche is old cuts, I buy primarily on ebay with no upgrade policies. I know that if I want to upgrade or change something down the road, I need to be able to sell what I have.

Also, I've spent more money on OECs than is really reasonable for me with my income and lifestyle. I haven't spent recklessly, but I haven't been too cautious and I have dipped into my savings way more than I should have. So knowing that my ering diamond cost less than retail (and I probably could make my money back if I needed to, at least while OECs are still popular) gives me (and DH) a little psychological peace of mind. Maybe it's an illusion but I'm hanging on to it.

For all other jewelry and gemstones I do not care about resale value. Of course I'm still budget conscious and I love a bargain ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results