shape
carat
color
clarity

BLACK FRIDAY, AKA DEALS AND CROWDS!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I hope everyone had a FABULOUS Thanksgiving yesterday, thinking of all the great things in our lives.

Everyone knows what comes after Thanksgiving, though: Black Friday.

I absolutely LOVE Black Friday, I guess because my mom and I went out every year to "fight the crowds," and it''s just this great adrenaline rush. Now that I''m an adult, I have Christmas shopping done WAY before now, but I always save one thing to get off the list on Black Friday.

This year, I hit Kohl''s and I got the Kitchen-Aid mixer I''ve been wanting for YEARS!!! And it was a sweet, sweet deal, too! Yay for Black Friday. Boo for lugging it to the end of the line in the BACK of the store and then scooting it (slowly) along the ground to the check out line, then having to really carry it to the car. I also got a couple of comforter sets for our guest bedrooms for our new house (you know, the one we don''t have yet, but are deciding on). Fun times!

I usually get myself a Birthday/Christmas present to myself from myself each year, something I feel is "indulgent" and that I don''t really HAVE to have, but would like to have. I''ve never brought myself to buying the mixer, but this year it was a good price (and I''m thinking about having a house with COUNTER SPACE as opposed to the cramped kitchens I''ve had in the apartments I''ve been in since college). And to top it off, I came home and told Paul about it (waking him up, by the way) and he was so happy to see me so happy, he said I could put it under the tree from him and he''d pay for it.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Yippeeeeee!!!!

And since Kohl''s opened at 4am (I don''t like the lining up waiting for it to ope thing, so I got there are 4:15), and I was out of there at about 5:35 (yeah, I was in line for a LONG time), and Target is in the same shopping center, and it was opening at 6am, I figured maybe I could get a camera for Paul''s parents, as they always talk about wanting a digital camera, and then they don''t buy one because they won''t know how to use it. Kodak EasyShare is simple (even I understand how to work them!!), and I didn''t know if they had a sale, but figured I check. I did, and got a good one for a smoking deal, too.

I love Black Friday.

Paul just doesn''t understand why I woke up so happily and energetically at 3am today and every other day I''m struggling at 6am. Haha... it''s because I get to SHOP. Duh!!
9.gif

One thing I don''t love about Black Friday is that there always seems to be one person who absolutely missed the whole giving thanks thing from the day before, who has no Christmas spirit at all, and who is all but evil in attempt to get the "deal." It''s almost humorous to watch, but always makes me sad, too. I mean, you don''t get the "deal," but so what, next week you can get the same thing and just pay more for it, or you can tell Santa what you want. I almost didn''t get the comforters I''d wanted for our guests, but as my hour in line carried me all over the store, I found the exact two I wanted (in the exact sizes) that had been disregarded by people who ditched the line. Yay!!!
9.gif

For all of you who go out in the crowds today, I hope you get some good deals, have fun, and don''t have to come across a grumpy SCROOGE!!!
9.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I applaud you!
36.gif

Seriously, I just don''t know if I have it in me to try and fight the crowds. I''m annoyed by people when shopping as it is...lol.
But I did wake up at 7am just in CASE I decided I wanted to face the challenge. I didn''t.
7.gif

Has anyone here been to www.theblackfriday.com ?
It lists all of the deals at the big stores. Pretttty cool. I''m tempted to go to JCPenney since they are having such a great deal on linens and whatnot...but I dunno. We''re about to do our wedding registry soon so I''ll probably end up just waiting for that. lol!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Hubby was out at 6 am to buy us a new laptop this morning -- this one''s shot and we''ve been trying to hold out for Black Friday sales. Unfortunately, even though he got there an hour after Circuit City opened, they were already out of the one that he went in there for and he ended up buying one that was twice as much. It''s still a good deal, and came with a free printer, security software, and wireless router (free after rebate, that is), but he''s frustrated.

He also tried to buy more memory, and once he got to the register they told him that while he was standing in line, holding it, someone bought it online (their in-store pickup thing) so they couldn''t let him buy it. I know that the online guy paid for it before he did, but he was physically holding it, darn it! We''re both a little miffed about that.

I''m contemplating going out and braving the stores to buy a couple of things that we need for around the house, but I''m very wary of having to stand around in line. Stores tend to have floors without much give (concrete and similar), and my back''s doing poorly enough right now that the only way that I could stand long on one is with Valium or narcotics, which would mean I can''t drive and hubby''s not around today to drive me. Does anyone know if the frenzy dies down over the course of the day?

Fishie, that''s awesome about the KitchenAid and the camera. Yay for sales!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I hadn''t heard of the BlackFriday.com until this year, because it was on the news on TV here. I never went to check it out though.

Haha about waking up at 7am, "just in case." They say as the day goes by and the "door busters" are gone, it is a little less crowded. Around here, Target still wasn''t that crowded, even right at opening. I was in and out in less than 15 minutes.

Blen!!! Girl, I''ve missed you. I told Paul this week that I''ve really gotten to where I hate that I''ve been away from PS for so long. He was like, "Yeah, I miss the girls sometimes, too. Tell them hi." His posts are rare; he mostly just reviews what kind of craziness I''m going on about.

Anyway, we hope your back is feeling better soon! We also hope all your home labors are either done, or going smoothly.
9.gif
I simply can''t wait until we can paint any wall any color we want to! Oh the joy!!

How are you and your hubby and doggie doing?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Don''t do Black Friday. Wouldn''t do Black Friday. The only thing I hate more than crowds are hordes.

And that god blessed Christmas music loop that every store is playing - overandoverandoverandoverandover............
38.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Wow... I was wondering who on earth would go to Kohls at 4 am! I''m glad you got the mixer Fisher!

I have never been a black-friday shopper... there''s just nothing at Target or Best Buy or wherever that I want enough to put up with the hassle of crowds today. I haven''t given in to the madness. I guess I''m missing the "shopping gene" or something. Or that we''re still broke after the wedding! My MIL was talking about a deal on flat screen tvs last night... she said "they''re only $1000"!" and I said "yeah, but we don''t have an extra thousand right now..." We are having a lean Christmas this year.

I have been thinking about looking for online deals, but I''ve found those actually tend to get better the LONGER I wait. Anyone else found that to be true?

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I''ve missed you too, Fishie! We''re mostly finished with renovating the bathroom (I''ve been planning to start an "update" thread in a couple of days), which is really exciting -- it stretched on a lot longer than we meant for it to. After that, we''re trying to hold off on any big projects for a while. We need some time to recover. (And by "we", I really mean hubby. All that I''ve been able to do lately has been on the designing and supervising end.)

Hubby''s doing well. He''s working a ton lately, but his hours should get better after the new year. Aonghus has come along so well. I''ve been having people over partially for the purpose of getting him to feel comfortable around friendly strangers, and it''s really helping. After about 30 seconds of his "guard dog" act, he''s usually on his back asking for a belly rub. Soooo much improvement.

I''ve been fighting tooth and nail to get my back treated, and finally have an appointment with a neurosurgeon for early December. An MRI showed an abnormality that the radiologist and orthopedist couldn''t identify/diagnose, and the orthopedist I talked to wanted me to just wait and see if it gets better on its own instead of doing more to diagnose it, even though I told him that it''s just getting worse with time and conservative treatment. I really hope that I''m going to get some answers.

Anyway, back on topic... I''m still not sure what I''m getting people for Christmas, and so the only things that I particularly want to buy right now are a shower curtain and new towels. On second thought, it just doesn''t seem worth going out. I''m going to hold off or try to look online.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I made it out!! DH and I hit up Sears, Lowe''s and Home Depot at 8:00am and we ended up getting our Xmas tree for $99.99.

I also went to the mall and I got my free Express clutch purse free after 11:00am with any purchase. They usually do a free purse, or some sort of similiar item. Limited does as well. The lines were not too bad in my area. I was suprised. the parking lots were full, but we ended up getting a decent spot and didn''t have to stalk people with bags coming out of the mall either. Yay for that!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lucky i am with you, pure online shopper today. there's no way i could get up at 4am to do anything but ummm go downstairs and sleep on the couch. hahaha. the best thing is that so many online stores have the same deals that they offer in stores, and sometimes special online ones they don't offer in the store. also if you are on all the friends and family lists or get the fwd's from friends, there are some great deals out there now.

interestingly enough i noticed that a bunch of etailers did thanksgiving day only sales yesterday via email. i got a bunch of emails from lists i am on, like steve madden had 30% off everything only yesterday til 6pm, and bluefly did an extra 20% off sweaters just yesterday, etc. kind of interesting (well to me because i'm in ecommerce/etailing!!) because i didn't notice that last year...so they are trying to get shoppers to shop online the day of the holiday itself now. soon it'll be like blue thursday or something. hehee.

then there's cyber monday as well which starts on monday, but it seems like so many etailers are more into black friday than cyber monday, so i wonder if eventually the two will just meld together into something like ummm purple weekend? hehee.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
My husband wound up getting a lot of Black Friday deals right from Best Buys website, yesterday. We do most of our shopping online. I figured I would try to pick up my daughters stuff at Toysrus this morning. Oh*my*goodness. We walk in and immediately see a line of people, the checkout line was wrapped around the store. Silly, silly me for thinking I would be able to tolerate BF-I walked right back out & went home.
20.gif
I have no problem paying shipping costs to avoid traffic, crowds, & waiting in hr+ lines.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to deal with putting together Black Friday promotions for some big retailers and e-tailers, so I would never go out and join the fray. That''s crazy...and I mean crazy in a bold, adventurous, gutsy kinda way. Hordes and stampedes make me need a beer, and that''s out of the question at the moment!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Why do they call it Black Friday? Just curious... never heard of that title before.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 2:57:41 PM
Author: Sha
Why do they call it Black Friday? Just curious... never heard of that title before.
Supposedly because that is when the stores go from "in the red"($$ wise) to "in the black"...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
No Black Friday shopping for me. I shop for Christmas sporadically throughout the year and stack it all in a spare bedroom. We pare back on Christmas gifts every year, so I don''t have a ton of shopping to do and I just can''t fathom get up and out that early to go fight crowds, not my idea of fun.

Fishy, I admire your sense of adventure and enthusiasm, glad you got a great deal and had fun! I love my Kitchen Aid.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I have never been a Black Friday shopper but this year I did buy something at 1am online last night. I doubt I''ll be going shopping today. I hate fighting the crowds. Online shopping is the way to go and there''s lots of free shipping being offered.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Supposedly, it''s an accounting term. My DH works in finance and explained that one to me, I had never really known the real meaning of it either.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I braved black friday even though I usually get all tense in the middle of big crowds because money is so tight this year with the wedding! Fisher, I''m jealous, I couldn''t bring myself to get up at 4, so by the time I got to Kohls at 6, they were definitely out of the luggage I wanted to get for FI for the honeymoon. I bought luggage at JCPenny''s, then came home and found a much better deal online (not for black friday, just clearance) at Target, so I''ll be going back out tomorrow to make my first returns...grrr....

The other reason I was shopping ALL day today is I was looking for wedding shoes and jewelry while I''m in town, since shopping where I live leaves a lot to be desired. I found navy shoes (still not sure if I want to do the whole blue shoe thing though...) and got a great deal on a necklace with swarski crystals, so I was definitely in a happy Christmasy mood. Unfortunately I left my digital camera at home, so I"ll have to post pics after going back.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
No black friday''s for me. I did that route before. Pushed and shoved too many times. Egad, ladies arguing over a sweater pile. Nooooooooooooooooooo more, thank you very much.
14.gif

Linda

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 3:05:34 PM
Author: Miscka

Supposedly because that is when the stores go from ''in the red''($$ wise) to ''in the black''...

I used to be an assistant manager at the Gap. And, basically this is the time of the year when retailers generally start making money. For instance, on most Friday''s throughout the year, our daily goal would be between $7800 and $10000. On Black Friday, our goal would be $70000ish. At the Gap, it depends on what size the store is, and I worked at extra large volume store. It''s complicated, but it all has to do with goals and projections and what not. My last year there was 2004 and I think we made like 500000 during the month of November and more than half of it was from Black Friday on.

Now, if you''re talking about Wal-Mart or a store of that nature, it doesn''t really apply because they make money throughout the year.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
We went out today, and it was a lot of fun. Best Buy was insane. We got a computer for me (YAY!) and a flat screen tv for the bedroom.

We mostly shopped at Nordstrom. I only went out today because I like the crowds. The places I shop at don''t normally have "sales and door busters" and all of that crap. I''m gonna finish shopping when I get back home anyway, I don''t like it here in Atlanta. :)

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I am another one of the few who likes Black Friday. Not sure why....but I like shopping, and this is a good excuse....I did not go out too early though, 6:30 was good enough for my mom and I!

I got a lot of decent deals! And I am pretty much finished for my family, friends and husband-to-be....All for about $1500!!!
36.gif

But I did fall in love with a great Roberto Coin necklace...and will add it to my wish list
31.gif
30.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I soooo had an urge to go shopping/looking today but I restrained myself. Can''t take the parking problems I guess [I have no problems with the crowds - I find the sales people are more likely to leave me alone! LOL!].

I may HAVE to go out tomorrow to get my jewelry looking fix!
9.gif

DB

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 6:14:46 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I soooo had an urge to go shopping/looking today but I restrained myself. Can''t take the parking problems I guess [I have no problems with the crowds - I find the sales people are more likely to leave me alone! LOL!].

I may HAVE to go out tomorrow to get my jewelry looking fix!
9.gif

DB
I got to the mall around 11 this morning, and found a parking spot at around 1145 with my gas tank running low from driving in circles. I love and hate black friday. But I got a good deal on a GPS for my DH. But working 2nd shift and then getting up to go to a store at 5am leaves ya feeling a bit droopy-eyed!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I set the alarm for 7:00 this morning, just in case I felt like braving the crowds. I didn''t though, so I went back to sleep. I just like sleeping way more than I like getting a good deal, I guess. My FI went to Target around 5 or 6 tonight and he said it wasn''t bad at all. Maybe next year I''ll get up early.

I did buy my first Christmas present of the year last night but it was online. I got my FI hockey tickets. We usually don''t do gifts for each other but since we''ll be exchanging gifts with the rest of my family, it would look weird to overlook each other. Instead of gifts, we usually go to a play or a concert or something and one pays for the tickets and the other one pays for dinner. We also occasionally go away for a night and chip in together for that. I think he''ll like the hockey tickets though so I''m glad I got them. I have no idea what to get the rest of my family...

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I am a dedicated shopper - of all things - but Black Friday is a no go for me.
I refuse to be pushed and shoved around or worse wait in line for the chance of a great deal. I do know many who can do it, more power to them!

My son works at Best Buy during college breaks. He had to be in the store at 1:30am this morning! Their store opened at 5am. People were in line from Wed. afternoon. Oh Gosh!
Their process is to "walk the lines" with tickets for the hot doorbuster items. If you are in line, you are given the opportunity to purchase a ticket for whatever hot deal you want, if there are any left. It''s sad, the employees walking the line, have to have security with them. Last year, the employee was mugged and all the tickets were stolen. The thief never got any merchandise though. My son said all the hot deals were gone fairly fast.

Like Mara, I do lots of online shopping. And there are deals to be had there. I get emails from a black Friday website that alerts me to the deals. Kinda fun to read all the sales, even if I don''t buy. This year I have bought 90% of my gifts online. And I have a huge list. I''ve been buying since August when I scored 2 Wii''s at Best Buy one early Sunday morning. So I am about done. Now the wrapping!

I have reading PS for years! I feel like I know so many of you. Happy shopping to all us little Elves!

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mischka and Rosebud.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love black friday. We don''t go to the mall until later though (but by then everyone has gone home) A few malls open here at midnight. We tried to go a few years ago but there wasn''t any open parking spaces. Too many people for me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results