shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to clean silver??

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple!e of Tiffany silver bracelets & a couple of Links of London. As I don't wear them daily, I find that when I do get one of them out they have tarnished, despite all being kept apart in their respective pouches.

Although a silver cloth will clean the bits it can touch, it can't get inside some of the links, so I bought a silver dip solution. For some reason, this always leaves them with a yellow tinge despite instructions being followed & not being left to soak for too long

Why would this be? They end up looking pretty discolored, so then I have to get finger ache anyway, rubbing over & over with the cloth!

Any tips??

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you google "DIY silver dip" you'll see lots of "recipes" that involve hot water, a piece of aluminum foil, and salt or baking soda. I've tried some of these (not sure which ones) and they do work. I have no idea if these are the gentlest methods - whether they remove more than just the tarnished silver. One thing you should definitely be aware of if using this method - if there is any decorative paint, or maybe areas of the piece that have been intentionally tarnished to add shadows or show off highlight - do not use this dip method because this method is indiscriminate, and it will remove all tarnish or added decoration.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to do a search. Laurie (JewelFreak) has a magic solution for flatware and holloware. It may also apply to jewelry.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1426792896|3849679 said:
I have to do a search. Laurie (JewelFreak) has a magic solution for flatware and holloware. It may also apply to jewelry.

She wrote in a thread about polishing silver:

"I used Never Dull polish. Have tried a zillion brands over years & I love this. Comes in blue tin cans -- it's treated cotton-y stuff that you rip little pieces off of. One reason I like it is that you can get it into little crevices. I use it on silver jewelry too. Some hardware stores carry it."

AGBF

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, both!

Deb - we have that polishing wool here in the UK & its called 'Silvo' of all things! My mother has a tub - I shall take my bracelets over & see how I get on. My mother uses it for silverware & doesn't really own any silver Jewellery, so I expect she's never tried it, but there's no reason why it wouldn't work as effectively :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1426798368|3849729 said:
Thank you, both!

Deb - we have that polishing wool here in the UK & its called 'Silvo' of all things! My mother has a tub - I shall take my bracelets over & see how I get on. My mother uses it for silverware & doesn't really own any silver Jewellery, so I expect she's never tried it, but there's no reason why it wouldn't work as effectively :))

Please let me know how it works for you, Alex. After I posted I read many reviews on the 'net and saw that everyone appeared to love it and that many people had posted stories about how it had fixed problems caused by other cleaners! I also saw that others had used it on jewelry efficaciously. I hope it works well for you!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb - it worked! Its a pink type of wool & pulls apart like candy floss. It smells of a waxy polish & it really, really cleaned my bracelets beautifully! I wish I'd thought to take before & after pictures for you - they are transformed! My mum thinks she's possibly had that tub for 30 years??! But it's still available to purchase & I've ordered one :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rightly or wrongly, I use toothpaste and a toothbrush, and it works.

DK :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex T|1427057104|3851036 said:
Deb - it worked! Its a pink type of wool & pulls apart like candy floss. It smells of a waxy polish & it really, really cleaned my bracelets beautifully! I wish I'd thought to take before & after pictures for you - they are transformed! My mum thinks she's possibly had that tub for 30 years??! But it's still available to purchase & I've ordered one :appl:

Thank you for telling me! I will have to order some, too.

Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results